Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 80's Recession V's this one?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Terry wrote: »
    We need to go back to having people sign on once a week instead of once a month. If you're unemployed, then you can quite easily sign on once a week.

You have to sign into the post office once a week with your ID to collect your money these days - the days of signing once a month and the money going into your bank account are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

This is a depression, not a recession. There's another four or five years of this to go at least and even then things will never be as good as they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Clareboy wrote: »

In the 80s, the banks did not fail and we did not have to call in the IMF

I vaguely remember AIB losing a shedload of money on some insurance company and everyone had to bail them out with a surcharge on policies

I don't know the name of it to google it.

But I remember reading about it and how it took years and years to sort out that mess

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

You have to sign into the post office once a week with your ID to collect your money these days - the days of signing once a month and the money going into your bank account are over.
    did bertie not make it really easy to fiddle the dole, fly in and fly out all on the same day, or come home for a few days then off again, just to lessen the workload of the civil servents.

flutered wrote: »
    did bertie not make it really easy to fiddle the dole, fly in and fly out all on the same day, or come home for a few days then off again, just to lessen the workload of the civil servents.

Burton has put a stop to all that now - she's checking passports at the gates now. Personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

You've a good point there.
    In saying that, I know quite a few people who are working or have worked in England, but had other people to collect their dole payments.

The Monthly thing is local.
    If you live in Leixlip (as I do), you sign on in Maynooth once a month. This applies to quite a few of the surrounding towns and villages. I'd imagine it happens across the country.

The people I know who are on the dole collect their payments in the post office in Leixlip, but have to go to Maynooth to sign on.
    When I was on the dole, I had to go to Maynooth every week and sign my name onto a sheet.
    If the signatures didn't match, then I wouldn't have been given my dole (best of luck to anyone trying to forge my doctor-esque signature).

All you need these days is your welfare card (I think that's what it's called. I had one. It has your PPSN on it. Last time I saw it, it was called your RSI number) and you're sorted.

Picture ID would help.
    Hey, if you're getting free money from the government, why would you care about them having your photo on file?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I vaguely remember AIB losing a shedload of money on some insurance company and everyone had to bail them out with a surcharge on policies

I don't know the name of it to google it.

But I remember reading about it and how it took years and years to sort out that mess

The tax payer is always at hand to bail out these bum outfits, shur didn't the same happen with PMPA a few years ago, we're still paying for that iirc.

As a good friend of mine says, "We'd have had a revolution here years ago.....if we could get someone else to do it".
    The Irish are the greatest bunch of suckers/idiots to be putting up with extra taxes and penalties to pay for the mistakes of incompetents in business and government. The sad thing is they'll vote the same incompetents in time and time again and support the same businesses that have robbed them in the past.
    The Irish must be mad when you analyse the situation, to do the same thing over and over expecting a different result, that's madness.

Terry wrote: »
    You've a good point there.
    In saying that, I know quite a few people who are working or have worked in England, but had other people to collect their dole payments.

The Monthly thing is local.
    If you live in Leixlip (as I do), you sign on in Maynooth once a month. This applies to quite a few of the surrounding towns and villages. I'd imagine it happens across the country.

The people I know who are on the dole collect their payments in the post office in Leixlip, but have to go to Maynooth to sign on.
    When I was on the dole, I had to go to Maynooth every week and sign my name onto a sheet.
    If the signatures didn't match, then I wouldn't have been given my dole (best of luck to anyone trying to forge my doctor-esque signature).

All you need these days is your welfare card (I think that's what it's called. I had one. It has your PPSN on it. Last time I saw it, it was called your RSI number) and you're sorted.

Picture ID would help.
    Hey, if you're getting free money from the government, why would you care about them having your photo on file?

You need to have a drivers license/passport or photo id every time you collect your money now. You won't get your money with just your welfare card. You have to sign a receipt aswell every time you collect your money - once a week. These are all changes brought in everywhere in the last year to put a stop to welfare cheats. The post office person is liable if someone else collects your dole for you so they won't take the chance anymore.

Of course if you're a local and they know you there is no need for these checks
    They won't ask for ID

This works in small places where there is just the postmistress

In towns it could be a different person dealing with you every week

Of course if you're a local and they know you there is no need for these checks
    They won't ask for ID

This works in small places where there is just the postmistress

In towns it could be a different person dealing with you every week

The post office person is liable if someone else collects your dole for you so they won't take the chance anymore.
    The local post office here used to have the attitude of "sure I know them - tis grand" but it's a different story now - if a claimant is caught it can all be traced back to the post mistress/master who signed off on it. Now they check everyone, no matter how long they've known you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 CK75

Some many posts about wallpaper
    Crazy the small things we remember :D

Anyone remember Kandee ketchup.
    Huge red bottle, the vilest ketchup on the market and if you bought it then you were too poor to afford Heinz
    The very definition of a recession product

Haven't seen it in years and it is not missed

Hey Mikemac, do you remember "Yellow Pack"? :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

There more debt now for sure and over all its worse now. But the standard of living is far higher. But then people were used to not having very much in the 80's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I remember getting a lift home with a mate and his ma at christmas, he looked in the shopping and saw there was Vienetta ice cream and he almost shit himself.

My old man, who lived through the '40s and '50s, was laughing at a woman who felt terribly hard done by as she could only afford 2 bottles of wine and a DVD for her Friday night.

It's all relative.

CK75 wrote: »

Good ol' Quinnsworth! Yellowpack became a byword for everything cheap and nasty, even by the standards of the '80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Were there any draught beers back then that are gone now?

Or is it still the usual suspects?

Just interested to know :)

Hopfenpferles (I think) Made an appearance in the late 80s, impossiblble to order after 3 pints when you were 16 years old, Stag Cider was readily available on pump, Furstenburg too.

No Quinnsworth in our town

There were two local owned supermarkets there
    One got taken over by Dunnes Stores in the early nineties.

Both closed at 6pm
    Nowadays Tesco open until 10pm
    No Sunday shoppping either!

Would people cope if shops started closing at 6pm again? :)

Now that I think of it, lots of shops in our town still close for lunch, very old fashioned

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

In the 80s recession we won some football matches.:D

To be called a yellow pack worker was an awful insult!

You were cheap labour undercutting the existing staff

Or someone unqualified doing an important job but hey, you were cheap

Nowadays it's even worse, you don't get a wage, it's called the FÁS job bridge scheme :rolleyes:

In the mid 80s I lived in North Wales (I was a mature student at the time) near to an industrial estate that used to be the biggest employer in the town a couple of years earlier, it looked like the Luftwaffe had paid a visit, it was completely destroyed! The town had about 60% unemployment.

I seem to remember Holstein Pils.
    I can't remember selling any as a barman but there were lots down in the cellar

A Diageo product I think

Not seen it in years

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

And there was Satzenbrau Pils

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Jesus Christ, ye 80's folk had it terrible!

If it's any condolence, you've all given me a new perspective on the recession, as it can always be much worse!

Cheers!

Yeah , we even had to drink Harp sometimes.:eek:

I seem to remember Holstein Pils.
    I can't remember selling any as a barman but there were lots down in the cellar

Holsten was/is a quality beer, and fairly expensive, don't know if there were too many drinking it in the 80s.

You may be confusing it with Hoffmeister?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shuridunno

I know I was a child in the other one but my parents say it was a little easier because no one had anything. My mother says no one is hungry this time, that's the difference. But I'd say there are people going hungry.

There's more social welfare available, but more mortgage debt and I really feel for people who had to buy durinf the boom.

The tiger didn't bite me and OH, we couldn't get a mortgage in the boom, so built a very small house with the smallest mortgage we could get just before the crash.

I think there's more pressure and anger with people this time around as the sheer arogance of politicians and banks are to blame. But, I don't know what caused the last one so obviously I could be wrong.

Hey, anyone remember Carlsberg Special......Expensive but good.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Hey, anyone remember Carlsberg Special......Expensive but good.

if it's the Special Brew I'm thinking of we had to go North for it, 9% I believe.

We used to drink pints of Ritz :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

You need to have a drivers license/passport or photo id every time you collect your money now. You won't get your money with just your welfare card. You have to sign a receipt aswell every time you collect your money - once a week. These are all changes brought in everywhere in the last year to put a stop to welfare cheats. The post office person is liable if someone else collects your dole for you so they won't take the chance anymore.
    You're wrong there, or maybe it's just applicable where you sign on (if you are on the dole).

My lodger is on the dole and all he needs is his welfare card, as do all my friends who are on the dole.
    No picture ID is required.

I went to the post office one morning with a friend. I was posting something and my friend was at the next window. All he had to do was sign a receipt. Anyone could have signed it. There's no comparison with earlier signatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

The 80's recession? I remember fizzle sticks, before the EU banned "certain colours and artificial flavours". I remember LA gears, especially when you could walk down the street without some sumbag throwing a blade or needle in your face just to own what you spent months saving up just to own!

I remember when I was 12 years old and when you had white powder on your noise and it was Dib Dab and not class A. I remember when you stood your ground and at worst, you walked away with a just bruised ego.

• Advertisement

if it's the Special Brew I'm thinking of we had to go North for it, 9% I believe.

We used to drink pints of Ritz :o.

That's the stuff . 9% proof. Lots of it I don't remember.:)

Advertisement