Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options
1254255256257258260»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

we wont beat Cavan away anyway thats a certainty. best we can hope for is a 2 wins from 3 at home v kildare louth or cork.i cant see us winning the three

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭enricoh

Lads can u pay cash at the turnstiles? I remember hearing something about it coming to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭enricoh

Two contenders for goal of the year anyway! Kildare seem to be on the floor altogether, no harm having them next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

no, all ticket! and cant get tickets at the venue either..... its a pain!!!!

Ive never heard such a strange crowd noise for a goal before! The Louth one, there was just this gasp when it went in.......Costellos goal was absolute class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

A win over the big rivals Kildare at the weekend doesn’t even get a mention! Are many of ye making the trip down the N3 Saturday evening? Be wary of Virginia. An absolute minefield for traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Feck sake. I'm not on social media and always use irishscores.com for updates... They have Kildare 0-19 Meath 0-12... I thought we lost 😂

i cant make it down to cavan saturday night, does anyine know if any pubs have access to channells showing it live? were on a good run of form but id be shocked of we won. havent beaten cavan since 1965 in breffni park, high time that stat was erased though.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Yes

It would make you wonder why they even send cameras to these games, and the value of it. Same for the match against Kildare, the only televised footage of that game was a 90second highlight reel showing mostly scores from the losing team, and none of the clutch moments in the game(with the exception of a black card incident). Danny Dixons catch, leading to the equaliser for example.

I expect that it will be the same amount of coverage for the Cavan game.

I wonder how modern management get to study opposition if the footage is so limited? Hopefully Colm has an arrangement with someone in RTE for the tapes(i would hope that this is the case)-marginal gains and all that!

• Advertisement

Teams are recording games themselves. Cavan Coaching & Games sent out the full Cavan Louth game to coaches.

Sent out by Cavan CB after ten:

ALL SYSTEMS GO.........

Following a pitch inspection this morning Cavan County Board v Meath GAA will go ahead aslong as the weather does not deteriorate. 

A further pitch inspection will take place at 2pm

#AllianzLeagues 

#GAA

Will head up later and see how we go. At least there’s some confidence in the lads now, I think it’ll be a good and feckin cold game!

Pack the under armour and if you want a seat in the stand, you’d nearly want to be leaving Meath now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

4 up but should be nearly out of sight. We've had some shocking wides from gilt edged positions.

Fairly shocking match. Looked like neither team wanted to win it at the end. We’d both have no business in Division 1.

Christ, how on earth did we not win that? Three goal chances with none taken. Shane Walsh's miss in the second half was particularly egregious. Four games with only one goal is worrying, particularly when we're not exactly shooting the lights out with points.

Positives is that we were good in defence and in Seán Brennan we seem to finally have someone who can consistently put medium to longer range dead balls over. But we are still way off the top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i haven't seen ye this year other then the louth game , but i disagree with being off the top ten , huge win last week against kildare , convincing the week before against louth , the set up is much improved from the mcintee days , the condition stuff will improve if boylan gets his way , the football will improve if colm gets his way , i see huge improvements from the last few years , it will go to the wire for the game in ballybofey

Yea very disappointed we didn’t come away with the full points for that. It felt like both teams going through the motions at times. We’re not far off the top of division. We should’ve been fighting fierce to win tbh…

An amazingly frustrating match to watch from a Meath supporter point of view, given the the chances and one or two of the refereeing decisions towards the end, but from a team progress point of view, the fundamental building blocks continue to stack up and for me this is a cause for enthusiasm. Any team that spends more than one season in Division 1 has a minimum standard of dogging out results and a strong defence while the attacking talent and the finer skills are honed.(Galway, Monaghan and Roscommon as examples). If we keep up the same standard for Cork and Donegal, we will be almost unrecognisable from the MOD era teams, and will be more of a reflection of the AMcE team of 2019, albeit, with a much younger age profile and therefore, greater potential.

The injuries and unavailability of so many major players(from last year) has enhanced the competition amongst the previously unestablished and the ones who came back from long term injuries to find their feet. When the inevitable injuries do come round again(I was amazed we seem to have come away unscathed given the conditions on Saturday), we will have a resilience beyond any expected development projection from the management.

Are there any outrageously talented (Cú Chulainn Esq.) players around 17 or 18 yet to break into the panel who could become a marquee forward?

Have a look at the teams below from the likely Division 1 teams next year;

Derry (Shane McGuigan)

Kerry(David Clifford)

Dublin(Con O'Callaghan)

Tyrone(Darragh Canavan)

Galway(Shane Walsh)

Mayo(Tommy Conroy or Ryan O'Donoghue)

Donegal(Paddy McBrearty)

Armagh(Rian O'Neill)

Almost without exception, all these teams have a go-to forward, who on their day account for the majority of scores. I wonder when we will get one, or who from the current crop could become more consistent? Our own Shane Walsh(if he ever gets to play summer or an extended period of football!) has some potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I didn't get up on Saturday so I can't really comment on the game, but I think at the start of the league 6 points at this stage would've been about what we all expected really. I'd agree that we aren't ready for Division 1 yet but given the amount of players still injured off last years Tailteann team its certainly progress.

delighted with that perfermonance on saturday night, maybe we bigged cavan up to much or maybe for once meath went down to breffni park with a chip on their shoulder instead of cavan having the point to prove when meath come to town. i think the incovering of the 1965 stat might have got meath team into a different mind set and the bookies and scribes and pharrisses writing them off may have had them up for it or maybe the have found the bit of grit and meaness needed. the next trip down to breffni id say they will really be gunning for erasing that stat. i think we can open up cork in 2 weeks and get the win, id love to see us go to ballybofey at full stregth and really target the win. donegal will probabaly field a weakened team as it will be a dead rubber for both but id love to see us go for a win with full stretgh team, this young team needs that self belief.

Davy Rispin from We Are Meath had comments up that a League game was abandoned last night between Castletown and Drumbaragh due to an altercation between non playing club members. What happened there lads does anyone know?

Jaysus what on Earth was that end to the game. Hope it was just a case of the game being won but it doesn't bode well for next week if we've conceded 21 points to Longford.

Paul Shankey managed Waterford to their first championship win in 14 years against Tipperary today.

Given that the(supposed) lineup for Sunday has just been announced with Shane Walsh on it, any word on whether it was just a rumour that he has broken his foot?!

Was a mildly competitive first half and we'd likely have been close to level at half time were it not for some baffling refereeing decisions. But we were destroyed on our own kickouts in the second half and the few times we did actually win possession, more often than not, we stupidly coughed it up leading to an easy score. Case in point was the third goal when Caulfield did brilliantly to stop a goal chance and win the ball back, then we give the ball away on our own 45 with Hogan out of position.

Long break to the group stages now. Only chance is if we manage a lucky draw and get the Munster or Leinster runners up in our group and scrape third spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Biggest talking point yesterday was the crowd. Might be the first year where the same fixture for womens gets a bigger crowd than the mens.

Once the first goal went in, that was it - not because of the score line but because of how easy it was for Dublin to score.

Interestingly - Meath had more possession, it was the only strategy that seemed to work yesterday = Meath passing the ball around the middle of the pitch as a way to stop Dublin scoring. As soon as anyone got a rush of blood and tried to pick out a corner forward, that was it, turnover and Dublin score 30 seconds later.

Thought the goalkeeper was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Had a game postponed last night late in the day so I got to watch the U20s. I thought they were excellent, defensively very sound especially. Eamonn Armstrong was superb and he would only be 18, he was the minor captain last year. I know we haven't had much to be excited about lately but I think this 20s team is something to get us excited. The fact some of them have another year or two at U20s too is a good sign as its not basically the 2021 Minors moved up.

Advertisement