Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Ratoath in the senior hurling final as well after shocking Trim in the semi final. Podge O'Hanrahan with the winner four minutes into injury time to win it. Hopefully we can follow it up in the final. The 2020 final (in 2021) still stings.

Navan O'Mahonys will play Kildalkey's second team in the Intermediate final. O'Mahonys beat Donaghmore/Ashbourne by five while Kildalkey beat Kilskyre/Moylagh by six. Anyone know if this means NOM are automatically promoted to senior given that Kildalkey obviously can't have two teams at that level? It definitely means that NOM will be in the Leinster club JHC. Regardless, amazing going by Kildalkey as they're potentially going to be in the Senior (if they beat Kiltale tomorrow), Intermediate and Junior hurling finals.

Slane finally made it out of Junior B, beating Moynalty by 6.

Kilbride win their first adult title since the 1971 Senior title, easily beating Clann na nGael in the final. Our own rpurfield refereed it.

Classic IFC final went to extra time with Rathkenny winning by a point in the end, 1-18 to 2-14. Duleek/Bellewstown missed a penalty in extra time.

Hopefully another good final in the senior tomorrow which is live on TG4. You feel it's going to be an overly defensive one though.

Was wrong about the kind of game, it was a cracker. Gutted to lose it though we never deserved it. Summerhill's press of our own kickout worked wonders as I'd say we won maybe one in five kickouts throughout. Also made basic errors while in front in the second half that robbed us of the chance to extend our lead.

Not happy we lost but happy for Summerhill. Could see how much it meant to them at full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mcgragger

That's Kevin Reilly gone I'd say. Or maybe he would have been gone anyway.

Thats them and Trim looking for a new senior manager I'd say.

Summerhill deserved winners. Well done to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

enjoyable game of football - could have gone either way in normal time but I think that Summerhill’s hunger got them over the line and then when they went that bit ahead in the second half of extra time they kicked on. It really is difficult for a team to go all the way in both codes and Summerhill seemed fresher in extra time.

The very best of luck to Summerhill, Rathkenny and Kilbride in Leinster.

hard luck to Moynalvey and Ratoath today - hopefully live to fight another day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

thats more then gracious , i rave about brian mcmahon not just because he has strong clare connections and i know them well but he's one of the top midfielders in the country when playing for meath , throw in the loss of joey wallace aswell, both at the start of extra time was the winning and losing of this game

really good final though , gordon elliot will be happy tonight ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Fairly decent weekend of football all told. The intermediate final was incredible, I was convinced that Duleek would push on in extra time as their bench seemed to tell against us in the semi. The senior final was very good, maybe the fact Ratoath went deep into last winter and had maybe more lads involved with Meath this year told in extra time, they seemed to fade. Some scenes in Summerhill last night looking online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Any players stand out over the weekend that may come into the Meath panel?

I heard a few mentioned.

Tom Bowden - Duleek Dellewstown,  Conor McWeeney - Kilbride, Adam McDonnell - Summerhill. Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Technophobe

It was savage crack...alot of pent up final defeats to purge :) Still going strong!! Great final with Summerhill doing great on the Ratoath kick outs..hungrier team too I think...

McMahon not a midfielder but on your other points, will agree to disagree..Summerhill lost a few key players too and I think Summerhill's overall strength in depth from the bench with hunger added too was key..

• Advertisement

If you couldn't enjoy it what's the point sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

sorry apologies , he's a forward and a top one at that across the country in fairness , conor lyons was a serious introduction though , kicked 2 great scores and really got involved , brian dardis was excellent too and never mentioned him , jack flynn has huge hurling connections in east clare any chance you can send a few of them back down to us

really good game , hopefully they can go on and do a job in leinster

Christ I hate sport sometimes. Third senior hurling final defeat in 4 seasons and was still sore after the rugby on Saturday (not to mention the football final and the Greece game). Seemed like we were having the better of the game before Daithí McGowan's red card. Talked to a few people and no one knew what it was given for.

Intermediate final seemed like a cracker and will be replayed next weekend.

Upcoming Leinster club championship games:

Leinster Club SFC - Tullamore (Offaly) v Summerhill, 2pm, 22 Oct in Tullamore

Leinster Club IFC - Rathkenny v Naomh Eanna (Wexford), 2pm, 21 Oct in Navan

Leinster Club IHC - Kildalkey v Clodiagh Gaels (Offaly), 11 Nov (in Meath Venue)

Leinster Club JFC - Kilbride v Amsterdam (EU), 2pm, 21 Oct in Ashbourne

Leinster Club JHC - St. Laurence's (I think - Kildare) v Navan O'Mahony's, 28 Oct (in Kildare venue)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Kildalkey should be familiar with Clodiagh Gaels. They played them in their last Leinster IHC game in 2021....

Kilbride lads probably familiar with Amsterdam too😛

We played Clodiagh Gaels in the Leinster Club JHC back in 2016. Was a tasty affair where we won by 1 while playing for more than half the game with 14 men.

Wins for Rathkenny and Kilbride in Leinster today. Will be interesting to see how much the celebrations have affected Summerhill in tomorrow's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭poppers

Looks like the summerhill game ened in contraversy. Won by 2pts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Ref made a mistake by awarding Tullamore a penalty for a technical foul by Summerhill inside the large square. Such infractions are a 13m free.

Linesman reminded him of the correct rule. Tullamore not happy since they were down by 2 with a last minute penalty awarded and overturned.

Absolutely ridiculous that he was physically assaulted by a very strong shove in the back. The coward hadn't even the balls to attack him from the front. He's easily identified so I'd expect a lifetime ban minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭BK5

Kildalkey win the hurling Intermediate championship, what an achievement by any club big or small to win all 3 cups.

• Advertisement

Supposedly it was an injured Tullamore (and Offaly) player who pushed the referee. Should really get a long ban but probably will get a month or two.

How it took so long to come to the correct decision at the end is baffling. It was not even close to a penalty. Summerhill up against Naas in the quarter final. Naas weren't impressive in their final win today so if Summerhill can show up, they may have a chance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Any rumours on how the behind closed door challenge match against Galway went yesterday?

Lost by four I think. The We Are Meath lads speak about it near the start of this weeks' pod, have the team and all it was strong enough

Anyone heading into Navan tomorrow? I think a win is a must to get up and running. With Armagh and Donegal in the Division I don't think we'll be going up this year but absolutely no reason to see why we can't be "best of the rest". 4 home games is huge in that regard too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mattser

Big job to stay in Div 2 by the look of things.

Going to be embarrassed in the All Ireland as well. I've gone beyond caring to be honest. We're not getting better any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

Was in Navan last week and at the Armagh game last night. Very quiet thread these days. Last night We were completely outclassed at the end of the first half and the second half was like a challenge game. Disappointed we didn’t get the two points n the first game. We played direct football a few times in the first half last night and that’s when we got results. The problem is we don’t have any runners coming on when we do break and just end up recycling back, painful to watch. Have to beat Louth, Kildare and maybe Cavan to stay where we are

Great result for the hurlers, beating Kildare today. Kildare made the 2A final last year (before capitulating in the Joe McDonagh).

Ladies continue their 100% record in the league with a win away to Waterford. They seem to be getting up a head of steam again.

Fair play to you. I don't get to games often nowadays living outside the county and with family commitments. But even if I was able to attend, I'm not sure if I could stomach the away games in particular anymore.

• Advertisement

Yeah its been poor enough now, really should've won against Fermanagh even though it wasn't deserved. You couldn't even pick 5 minutes from it where we were good now. Against Armagh the first 20 was decent but once they got the first goal it went to bits pretty quickly. I do wonder is it down to having 14/15 lads involved in Sigerson. Not just in terms of exertion but how much are they around early in the year to work on the tactical stuff for the team too.

Advertisement