Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Literally no one wants to read either of your bitchy posts. Take it to PM and stop clogging up threads.

What a ball by Daithí McGowan in the league final at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

You contribute about as much as an AI chat bot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

@RoyalCelt @dunnerc the carry on between the two of ye, both here and elsewhere, needs to stop. From now on, any personal nonsense posted by either of ye will be a Warning. Attack the post, not the poster, don't be a Dick etc seems to have been forgotten by the pair of ye.

There is an ignore button, any issue, PM only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Last year the Tailteann Final was before Galway & Derry. It only started to fill up about halfway through.

I can’t understand the decision to stick it before Monaghan & Dublin myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i dont think it would make a diffrence , the kerry lads were half way down the M7 by the time monaghan and armagh was just getting good , the really dont care about any one bar kerry ,

the farney and the genuine dubs will be in to see it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Most supporters will only go for one game it's a long day going in for two especially if the weather is poor and standing or sitting in the rain doesn't appeal to many .A lot of Meath and Down will leave especially the beaten team's supporters after the TC game .

Looks like we're finally going to have movement on Páirc Tailteann, albeit a scaled down version of the original plans, which I felt were a bit "pie in the sky" anyway. We'll end up with the current stand being demolished to be replaced with a 5,000 seater stand, upgraded terracing at both ends of the ground and new floodlights (which will hopefully last longer than a few years this time).

Work's due to start after the end of the NFL next year and should be completed by mid 2026. Seems like it's been forever coming but it's nice to have some concrete plans to improve Páirc Tailteann. Once finished, you'd think it'll make an excellent neutral ground for championship games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I'm glad they aren't redoing the terrace. I posted in the infrastructure thread earlier that an upgrade to it would be more than enough. Decent toilets and I'm sure there may be a need to look at the exits etc for health and safety but it doesn't need a demolition job. The stand is well past it anyway so it can't go quick enough!

One well paced whack with a sledgehammer would probably bring the entire stand down. I agree, the terrace is fine as is and if they can do a similar job at both ends, then it'll be a decent stadium.

Anyone know what the "Royal Way" is that they mention?

• Advertisement

Don't know what the Royal Way is exactly but I would take a guess it might be a chance to buy a stone or a brick and have it dedicated. Liverpool have done something similar when they rebuilt the Main Stand, its actually pretty cool https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/cement-your-place-anfield-forever-new-commemorative-stones

I was thinking it was something like that alright. Would definitely contribute to something like that alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Meath only started playing after the goal. Should be a few ahead at half time, could bite us at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Congrats to the Royals. Conditions made for a poor encounter but a mighty win.

Congrats on the win gents.

Great second half performance, especially going forward. Jack Flynn had one of those second halves where every shot just went straight over.

Good progress made in the Tailteann Cup. Great to get a winning habit into the side which they can hopefully carry into next season. Can go into the league without the pressure of needing to be in a certain spot to guarantee All Ireland spot.

Onto the ladies in Tralee at half 7. Hoping for another underdog win.

Ladies up against a hurricane in the first half and weren't actually doing too badly for the first 10 minutes. But Monica misjudged a high ball and let let drop in and since then we've barely been able to get out of our half.

The weather has really made a mockery of it. May as well be in the middle of January.

Kept Kerry scoreless in the second half but the damage was done. Two incredible seasons but with all the changes this season, it was always going to be difficult to keep the high standards up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

tip of the cap to both snowgirl and hammer as Rath 'To who despite the negivity of the Tailteann cup promised and follollowed up on their support for their county its a serious stepping stone for next year

ps i also like how all the meath lads made a quick exit before the dublin game 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭poppers

Good see Eastern Gaels finally get to take the field today in the jn B championship

• Advertisement

Lads, how many of that Meath starting team/panel were in their first or second year with the county team? Just wondering as we’re constantly hearing from management in Cavan that it takes 18 to 24 months of conditioning to get a player ready for intercounty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Why wasn’t Shane Walsh playing weekend. Is he injured

@dobman88 listening to the preview of the championships on We Are Meath the chap representing Paul's made a good point. Apparently if you don't affiliate to a first team championship you aren't considered a full club for voting rights etc at county board level. Its a madness as Paul's were hammered by Boardsmill too. They played Premier 5 last year!

@charolais0153 Shane Walsh damaged his hammer, apparently it came off the tendon and the tendon off the bone so he may not even play for his club this year.

I just say and watched the final back again. The second half was savage all told. On top of the lads who were obviously singled out, I thought Podge Harnan was excellent. He was everywhere with the interceptions. Ronan Ryan's block too was something like Mick Lyons against Cork all them years ago. Hopefully this is a stepping stone now. Need to push on in the league next year.

Yeah, when I played for Ashbourne 3rd and 4th teams who play P3 and P7 (just relegated to P8 again after we won it a few years ago), we played Paul's in pre season games and beat them comfortably. The way the system is set up now is totally skewed in the county and was part of the reason I stopped playing. To have them in a 1st team championship where they most likely won't be competitive will be to the detriment of the club doing good work in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

I see Vicky wall is off to play rugby 7s for the Olympics next year. I've no doubt she will excel, she will be sorely missed by Meath.

That's their problem though, they've no underage set up and they are in on top of Dunboyne. Its a wonder they have a team to compete at any grade. Reffed them Premier 5 two years ago and they weren't competitive at that level.

According to the Indo article on it she has a two year deal there so I assume something will need working out.

• Advertisement

Junior B Championship

Slane 13-22 - 1-5 St. Paul's

That's 61 points to 8. Surely this sort of thing can't continue. With Eastern Gaels, at least there's potential to improve given it's their first year but St. Paul's have been shipping heavy defeats pretty much ever since they moved from their old ground on the old N3 (the old Flathouse ground). As rpurfield mentioned, there's zero underage setup and any Clonee based players are either going to play for Dunboyne or for the Dublin side that's in the area.

Advertisement