Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

snowgal wrote: »
    Heard that too but again it’s not confirmed from them either

The man I heard it from was at Dunboyne kids training this morning so you’d imagine sources in his own club should be well informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Hurlers well beaten in Navan. 3 second half goals improved the look of the scoreboard but they were totally outplayed from 15 minutes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Cavan_King wrote: »
    I’m hearing a rumour Jones from Dunboyne broke his arm against Armagh yesterday in a challenge. Anyone able to confirm?

He did unfortunately. From what I heard it was a bad one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Great to see the fixtures released and even better to see the finals for the lower divisions going ahead. Never thought I'd say it but well done the county board.

2020 Cup Finals:

Wolfe Tones v Gaeil Colmcille (Feis Cup), Castletown v Walterstown (Corn Na Boinne) and the Tailteann Cup (Carnaross v St. Vincents) will be played in early August after the 2021 Cup and before the 2021 championships.

2020 Hurling Championship Finals:

Ratoath v Trim (Senior), Boardsmill v Wolfe Tones (Intermediate), Ratoath v Kilmessan (Junior) and Boardsmill v Dunderry (Junior 2) will be played on a dedicated weekend in August after inter county and 2021 cups and before the 2021 championship.

2020 Premier Championship Finals:

Meath Hill v Ballinlough (Division 7) and Donaghmore Ashbourne v O’Mahonys Division 8) will be played on a dedicated weekend in June prior to the 2021 Premier Championship.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

So as far as I can see, the Intermediate Football Championship will be reduced to 16 teams for 2022.
    Are there plans to amalgamate some teams for the JFC?

Just reading the fixture plan there and I'm wondering how it will work.

So the "Premier" championships for 2nd/3rd etc. teams begin in June and run over the summer.

The Feis Cup, Corn na Bóinne and Tailteann Cup will also be run for first teams over the summer starting in June.

Since there's no 1st team championship until August, I presume teams have to name 15 players who can't play for their "Premier" team in the championship, like in the league.

Clubs won't have access to their county players for the Cup competitions, which means they'll have to play some 2nd team players just to field. But are those 2nd team players then expected to play in the "Premier" championships on the same weekends? I know this has been the scenario in the leagues for years with some players having to double up, but it's a ridiculous scenario to be in for championships.

What was stopping them running the "Premier" grades in August alongside the other championships and running a league in the meantime?

So as far as I can see, the Intermediate Football Championship will be reduced to 16 teams for 2022.
    Are there plans to amalgamate some teams for the JFC?

I think the 16 team rule that's coming in is only for SFC and IFC so in theory you could have as big a JFC as you like. There's 15 in it at the moment as St. Pauls play Premier so three down would bring it to 17 (with one going up this year)

40 man panel named. Good to see Mickey Newman back.

Ben Brennan St. Colmcilles, Liam Byrne Dunboyne, Darragh Campion Skryne, Robin Clarke Duleek Bellewstown, Andy Colgan Donaghmore Ashbourne, Brían Conlon Simonstown, James Conlon St. Colmcilles, Mathew Costello Dunshaughlin, Keith Curtis Rathkenny, Ethan Devine Na Fianna, David Dillon O’Mahonys, Danny Dixon Boardsmill, Jack Flynn Ratoath, Eoin Harkin Dunsany, Padraic Harnan Moynalvey, Cathal Hickey Seneschalstown, Harry Hogan Longwood, Donal Keogh Rathkenny, Ronan Jones Dunboyne, Seamus Lavin Dunboyne, Donal Lenihan Dunboyne, Gavin McCoy Dunboyne, David McEntee Dunboyne, James McEntee Curraha, Shane McEntee Dunboyne, Conor McGill Ratoath, Bryan McMahon Ratoath, Bryan Menton Donaghmore Ashbourne, Jordan Morris Nobber, Jordan Muldoon Gaeil Colmcille, Michael Newman Kilmainham, Jack O’Connor Curraha, Thomas O’Reilly Wolfe Tones, Cillian O’Sullivan Moynalvey, Fionn Reilly Gael Colmcille, Ronan Ryan Summerhill, Jason Scully Oldcastle, Eamon Wallace Ratoath, Joey Wallace Ratoath, Shane Walsh Na Fianna

40 man panel named. Good to see Mickey Newman back.

Ben Brennan St. Colmcilles, Liam Byrne Dunboyne, Darragh Campion Skryne, Robin Clarke Duleek Bellewstown, Andy Colgan Donaghmore Ashbourne, Brían Conlon Simonstown, James Conlon St. Colmcilles, Mathew Costello Dunshaughlin, Keith Curtis Rathkenny, Ethan Devine Na Fianna, David Dillon O’Mahonys, Danny Dixon Boardsmill, Jack Flynn Ratoath, Eoin Harkin Dunsany, Padraic Harnan Moynalvey, Cathal Hickey Seneschalstown, Harry Hogan Longwood, Donal Keogh Rathkenny, Ronan Jones Dunboyne, Seamus Lavin Dunboyne, Donal Lenihan Dunboyne, Gavin McCoy Dunboyne, David McEntee Dunboyne, James McEntee Curraha, Shane McEntee Dunboyne, Conor McGill Ratoath, Bryan McMahon Ratoath, Bryan Menton Donaghmore Ashbourne, Jordan Morris Nobber, Jordan Muldoon Gaeil Colmcille, Michael Newman Kilmainham, Jack O’Connor Curraha, Thomas O’Reilly Wolfe Tones, Cillian O’Sullivan Moynalvey, Fionn Reilly Gael Colmcille, Ronan Ryan Summerhill, Jason Scully Oldcastle, Eamon Wallace Ratoath, Joey Wallace Ratoath, Shane Walsh Na Fianna
    Evidently Corcoran isn't going to make an appearance. It's worrying when players would rather play for the worst LOI team than turn out for Meath. Deserved call up for Jack Flynn.

GAA Go are offering all league and championship games that aren't on TV for just €25. Given that we're obviously still a way from having spectators, it's good value.

• Advertisement

Evidently Corcoran isn't going to make an appearance. It's worrying when players would rather play for the worst LOI team than turn out for Meath. Deserved call up for Jack Flynn.

GAA Go are offering all league and championship games that aren't on TV for just €25. Given that we're obviously still a way from having spectators, it's good value.

Believe it or not, and it could be someone having me on, I heard Ben Brennan was in as a ‘keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Any thoughts on who might step into midfield alongside Menton? Jones is going to be a big loss. I thought he brought an MDMA style of industry to our midfield which blended well with Menton's style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Team named this morning. Paraic Harnan in midfield alongside Menton. Shane McEntee captaining the side from CHB. Andy Colgan in goals.

Colgan, Lavin, McGill, Ronan Ryan, Harkin, McEntee, Keoghan, Menton, Harnan, Devine, Campion, Costello, Morris, Reilly, O’Sullivan.

Wouldn't say it's worrying. You'd imagine he still has ambitions of making a career of soccer. Playing soccer for just about anyone will do more to advance towards that goal than playing a different sport with Meath.

Hurlers play Wicklow today in Aughrim. Before last week I'd have taken this one for granted but Meath were truly dreadful against Offaly. The league goal has changed from seeing can we mix it with the better teams to just staying in the division. That said we've had Wicklow's number the last few years so I'd be reasonably confident of getting the points down there today.

Hurlers play Wicklow today in Aughrim. Before last week I'd have taken this one for granted but Meath were truly dreadful against Offaly. The league goal has changed from seeing can we mix it with the better teams to just staying in the division. That said we've had Wicklow's number the last few years so I'd be reasonably confident of getting the points down there today.
    Was fearful in the first quarter. Wicklow seemed to be way more up for it but we've gotten a handle on them since.

Made hard work of that. Though I suppose the result was more important than the performance. Going 4 down with 15 left seemed to spark us into life. Some poor wides throughout though our kickouts were solid (even though the majority of them were under no pressure).
    Brian McMahon, James Conlon and Éamonn Wallace were very good when they came on.
    Win against Down next week and we're all but guaranteed a semi final berth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Anyone else watch it on GAA GO? I didn't watch it live but on playback just now and the footage was cut off just as Westmeath were taking a free on the 74th minute! I have no idea how the game ended. Pretty shoddy editing.

Meathlass wrote: »
    Anyone else watch it on GAA GO? I didn't watch it live but on playback just now and the footage was cut off just as Westmeath were taking a free on the 74th minute! I have no idea how the game ended. Pretty shoddy editing.

Watched it on gaago live with no issues.

Meath won by a point. 16 to 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Meathlass wrote: »

Watched it on GAA GO. Saw the final free. John Heslin must have been told by the referee that it was the final kick, and opted to lob it into the square instead of taking a scorable point.
    It was lobbed in around the penalty spot, and a Westmeath player facing away from goal managed to punch it in the air and it went well over the bar. Colgan still took his time kicking it out and the ref blew it up when the kick out was in mid air

• Advertisement

I can't seem to watch back on GAA Go for some reason.
    There were no issues with watching it live but the catch up service seems to be pretty poor.

Thought we made heavy work of it now. There were some bad wides and at one stage seemed to be afraid to take a shot on. I'm just hoping that there was an element of blowing the rust off.

On the positive side I thought Podge Harnan done well, I hope he can stay fit and the impact of the subs was positive, which is great to see. I thought fitness also told in the end. It seemed like Westmeath fell off the last ten minutes.

Winning against Down is vital now.

Believe it or not, and it could be someone having me on, I heard Ben Brennan was in as a ‘keeper.

I saw the warm up live on GAAGO and Ben Brennan was indeed kitted out in Goalkeepers Gear and kicking the ball off the ground.

I’m hearing a rumour Jones from Dunboyne broke his arm against Armagh yesterday in a challenge. Anyone able to confirm?

I read on some sort of Media outlet last week that it was a Dislocated Shoulder, which might mean up to 16 weeks recovery.

rpurfield wrote: »
    Thought we made heavy work of it now. There were some bad wides and at one stage seemed to be afraid to take a shot on. I'm just hoping that there was an element of blowing the rust off.

On the positive side I thought Podge Harnan done well, I hope he can stay fit and the impact of the subs was positive, which is great to see. I thought fitness also told in the end. It seemed like Westmeath fell off the last ten minutes.

Winning against Down is vital now.

Getting a win out of these early games is what counts. Performances mightn’t be on point after so long without match practice.

Performance against Westmeath looking less disappointing after they gave Mayo a huge scare this afternoon.

Getting a win out of these early games is what counts. Performances mightn’t be on point after so long without match practice.

Yeah I'd agree. Even though I was subject to a late night post a few weeks ago telling me my mentality was to blame for Meath not beating Dublin, its all about getting up this year for me. Really need to be playing regular at the higher level to bring lads on.

Same 15 named for tomorrow as last week. I would assume though it will change before throw in.

rpurfield wrote: »
    Yeah I'd agree. Even though I was subject to a late night post a few weeks ago telling me my mentality was to blame for Meath not beating Dublin, its all about getting up this year for me. Really need to be playing regular at the higher level to bring lads on.

Same 15 named for tomorrow as last week. I would assume though it will change before throw in.

That's the crux of it. Between 2014 and 2021, Cavan have fluctuated between Division 3 and 1. The difference in level I found between Division 1 and even 2 was astounding. Very hard to get up there and stay up there. Only Galway have really managed to join the big boys in the last number of years.

You can only imagine what 3 is like - Cavan played Longford yesterday in an absolutely atrocious game. It'll be no good for getting us ready to play Tyrone in the championship.

As one Meath person text me, ''Cormac Reilly - referee, says all you need to say about the level of football'!

Poor enough first half though after two black cards I suppose being 2 up isn't too bad. Though again our lack of a decent free taker could come back to haunt us. Colgan is 1 from 4 from longer distance. Also missed two gilt edged goal chances.

• Advertisement

Poor enough first half though after two black cards I suppose being 2 up isn't too bad. Though again our lack of a decent free taker could come back to haunt us. Colgan is 1 from 4 from longer distance. Also missed two gilt edged goal chances.

Game over now. Run on the subs.

Advertisement