Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭paul71

2018na wrote: »
    I had that useless piece of info in my head for all those years so I really appreciate you asking that question today ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ‘. On a side note it was desperately sad Meath didn’t win that all Ireland for those players

It was but does not take away from what they did that year and in my opinion that All Ireland final was one of the greatest games of football ever. Bernard Flynn was amazing that day, as were Greg Blaney and Mickey Lindon for Down.

Also we had 2 games gainst Wicklow in the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

paul71 wrote: »
    It was but does not take away from what they did that year and in my opinion that All Ireland final was one of the greatest games of football ever. Bernard Flynn was amazing that day, as were Greg Blaney and Mickey Lindon for Down.

Also we had 2 games gainst Wicklow in the next round.
    Who did Meath beat in the semi was it Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭paul71

2018na wrote: »
    Who did Meath beat in the semi was it Roscommon

Yes, and that was another day of a great performance. Derek Duggan was magnificent for Roscommon that day. In fact I have fond memories of some wonderful players we played against that year. Duggan for Roscommon, Leo Turley for Laoise who I regard as one of the best forwards ever, Blaney and Lindon for Down, and Kevin O'Brien for Wicklow who was a fabulous footballer.

Did dougan score a great goal in that game selling terry ferguson a dummy of all dummies. On another note do you remember a minor player called Dermot Washington he looked some player at that level. However if David Clifford never played another minute in his life he will go down as the best minor footballer ever

Can't remember Leo turley was he a forward. Thing I always think of with Laois is there hatred of Meath if I am remembering correctly. Maurice fitz is my favourite from other counties thought he was a class act when Kerry weren't at their strongest. A little before my time Matt Conner had some serious performances. Murphy from Donegal will be looked back on as an all time great as well imo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Thought today may have been a good chance for the hurlers to finally beat a bigger team. Down by 22 with 20 minutes to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

paul71 wrote: »
    Speaking of Jerseys and given the post above on this page. I have Kevin Foleys jersey from the first game in the 4 game seris and have a question for everyone.

Who is the sponser on the Jersey?

Real collectors item that, the jersey style changed after it when Kepak came onboard as well.

Didn't see anything of the hurling bar the score. Would've thought after last year we'd be closer to Carlow than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Some win for Meath ladies today. Think it was by 30 points in the end. Clare very poor - couldn’t even work a proper kick out.

Anyone hear a result from U20 game in Virginia between Cavan & Meath today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

shocking result from the hurlers today i dont know what happened, meath v carlow should be 50:50, should be a root and branch look into this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Dickie10 wrote: »
    shocking result from the hurlers today i dont know what happened, meath v carlow should be 50:50, should be a root and branch look into this

I wouldn't say Meath Carlow games are 50:50; I can't remember us beating Carlow in the last 15 years at least, and we've beaten nobody of note since Kerry in 2017.

That said Sunday was very disappointing. Talking to a few who saw it they said Meath played an ineffective sweeper and were crowded out in the forwards by Carlow dropping men back, but that can't possibly explain a 26 point beating on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Great to see the first round of Cup fixtures back last night and outstanding finals and relegation playoffs from last year being fixed. Real sense of normality returning now.

Opinions re Kildare? I think Meath are mentally stronger after the year in Division 1 last year and will bounce back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Opinions re Kildare? I think Meath are mentally stronger after the year in Division 1 last year and will bounce back up.

My predominant feeling after last years championship match was how the **** did we pull that off. Not so much in the win but managing a 9 point margin. Personally, I think we are coin flipping with Kildare. It could go either way. The Meath form compass is all over the place. Poor enough against Westmeath, put Down away fairly comfortably. Kildare equally is a bit up and down. I think Jack O'Connor felt particularly aggrieved after last years championship game and will have them fairly riled up for this one. I hate saying it but I kind of fancy Kildare tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Cavan_King wrote: »

I think Meath are one of the mentally softest teams in the country these days. Everyone loves playing them now, as when push comes to push, Meath always wilt. And even if they dominate the game will kick wide after wide once they realise they might win the match, against anyone decent. How many times did Meath have both Tyrone and Donegal beaten in the last 10 years, only to bottle it every single time?

Should be a routine win for Kildare, Kildare sort of a bogey team for Meath since 98 anyway. Shot themselves in the foot last time they met, were comfortable against Meath til then. Think they beat Meath 7 times in a row in recent history, Meath finally winning due to the law of averages. Meath beat a good Kildare team in 01, but Kildare generally beat Meath since 98

Think Meath will win handy enough. Might be only 3 or 4 points but the result will never be in doubt. Expect them to have too much for Kildare after their division 1 experience last year.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Think Meath will win handy enough. Might be only 3 or 4 points but the result will never be in doubt. Expect them to have too much for Kildare after their division 1 experience last year.

People go on about this experience. I think it's done nothing for them, continued to throw games from good positions. As they had in previous years the the Championship against division one sides. This experience has made no difference imo

People go on about this experience. I think it's done nothing for them, continued to throw games from good positions. As they had in previous years the the Championship against division one sides. This experience has made no difference imo

Fair enough. I disagree.

Fair enough. I disagree.

Meath fans cling to this division one experience with hope. We're talking minimal gains anyway.

Talent isn't the problem with Meath. Confidence and belief is. Meath lack both completely. And until that changes, minimal gains is the best they can hope for.

You watch them v Dublin. Very good at times, yet can't kick a point to save their lives. Scared when they get in position, no confidence. You can see the fear in their demeanor. Have their foot on the neck of Donegal and Tyrone, don't have the belief to see if out. That's the problem with Meath. It's psychological. We can beat around the bush all day, but that's the long and short of it.

Fortunately for Meath, they meet their match with Kildare in mental softness

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Game should be live on tv today. Why would tg4 pick Mayo Clare over this game.

• Advertisement

Hurlers 9 points behind against Down at half time. This has been an absolute disaster of a league campaign.

Very worrying performance so far.

Absolutely atrocious first half. Made worse now that Menton has gone off injured. Cannot see what O'Reilly and Devine bring to the team. O'Sullivan has been more often in the defence the attack. In three and a half games, we've played well for around 35 minutes

Cassidy is refereeing one team in this. Keogan taken out off the ball and nothing given. Now Keogan is gone as well.

Meath's division 1 experience has done them the world of good it seems! Utter rubbish on display

Should have buried that. Would have been undeserved.
    Bit confused at how two teams were throwing punches in the melee yet Kildare only got one yellow card. Cassidy was utterly atrocious for the entire game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Should have buried that. Would have been undeserved.
    Bit confused at how two teams were throwing punches in the melee yet Kildare only got one yellow card. Cassidy was utterly atrocious for the entire game.

No sure about Conlon and I think several players could have gone including Colgan but McGill seemed to be trying to emulate Colm Coyle on Liam McHale in the 1996 all Ireland replay. He had to go.

Meath’s discipline in this league has been very poor and I watched that game and did not perceive any referee bias. Kildare were quite simply a better footballing team today in defence, midfield and up front. Meath clutter of points at the end was even more frustrating as we only did it when the game was over and they had emptied the bench.

We couldn’t up it when they went down to 14 men so no excuses from Meath and, frankly, from watching that I am not upset that that team, squad and manager are going up to division 1 where they would be massacred next year.

Fair play to Kildare. There seems to be good players coming through, that guy that replaced Hyland looked good. And they have a manager that is measured in his approach and not projecting his anger on the players on the field.

And as for our free taking…don’t get me started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

The most annoying sort of referee, and to compound that, a bunch of players that dont realise that they're consistently putting in the sort of tackles that will definitely be penalised by the annoying referee.

I think there little that can be done with the forwards and the defence, but a lot that could be done about our midfielders. We need a few big athletes in there that will compete at least. This was a game taylor made for Ethan Devine's supposed attributes and he cant even make the high catches even when unchallenged.

Campion does nothing all season except get in the way of a goal bound shot that could tie the game. Its pitiful.
    Delighted we didnt get Clare, it would have been worse.

If beginning to wonder if we are the county with the the most amount of players that suffer the biggest deltas in performance ratings game by game

• Advertisement

redarmy wrote: »
    :)

Ah yeah. Where was your prediction pre game? Easy reply with that now after the result.

Got it wrong, obviously.

Advertisement