Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

2-10 to 1-7 it finished. No score from either team after the second half water break.
    Was expecting to face Kildare, but they were beaten by Offaly in the other semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Good win and they are a decent team. I thought that they spilled possession a few times which would have been costly in a final. I thought the full back Kelly and the midfielder Gray played well but I missed a good bit of the game.

No matter what happens from now on these players should be kept somewhere in the Meath coaching system and allowed develop and give players a chance to prepare strength and conditioning wise to feed the county team in a few years.

Ladies should really be nearly out of sight but awful defending in the first 5 minutes meant they conceded 3 goals. They've done well to fight back with 2 of their own but should have had a third but hit the post with the goal gaping.
    They should be able to see it out in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Vickie Wall is a serious baller.

Westmeath seem fairly out of puff now. Meath should be able to finish this with another score or two if they just settle and work it in.

• Advertisement

Entertaining game. Mad first 5 minutes. Meath the better team and well deserving winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I posted a few months ago how I'd be disappointed if we didn't win this considering how weak the field is this year. I'd still say we'll have too much for Down in the final. A 46 point win is some going but that's more a sign of how bad Louth are.
    It's a good thing I don't bet or I'd be broke.

I didn't see the stream but I was following the updates on twitter and Down won the Minor B HC final by 1-14 to 0-15 after a goal with the last score of the game.

Fair play to the ladies. Probably shouldn't have been that close but they kicked some excellent points in the second half to put it beyond doubt. Delighted that they finally broke their final hoodoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Delighted for the Ladies team, they are overdue that after the last two years. Viki Wall and Emma Duggan were excellent. Really shouldn't have been as close as it was though. Hopefully they can kick on and perform in the senior grade.

I was only following it on Twitter but the Minor hurlers were undone by a really late goal today. Sickener.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Does the minor leinster final winner go into the all Ireland semi or are there quarter finals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

rpurfield wrote: »
    Delighted for the Ladies team, they are overdue that after the last two years. Viki Wall and Emma Duggan were excellent. Really shouldn't have been as close as it was though. Hopefully they can kick on and perform in the senior grade.

I was only following it on Twitter but the Minor hurlers were undone by a really late goal today. Sickener.

i know a number of the girls on the clare side that lost to meath at the 1/4 final stage they couldnt speek highly enough of how good the meath team were deffinatly a senior team all year , laois and westmeath are not that far behind

hopfully the mens game can kick on in 21 , ye have a really good young team to push on and get back up to division 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Is that a Cavan man in charge of the Ladies? I seen Gowna club congratulating him so thought he might be from there.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Is that a Cavan man in charge of the Ladies? I seen Gowna club congratulating him so thought he might be from there.
    Seems like he played for Gowna and has family involved with Dromard.

Any indication of when the hurling finals may be played? And I'm assuming that the minors will be screwed over by the new restrictions coming in after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Seems like he played for Gowna and has family involved with Dromard.

Any indication of when the hurling finals may be played? And I'm assuming that the minors will be screwed over by the new restrictions coming in after Christmas.

I play for the DonAsh junior section and we got into a final against Navan. Premier division 8 and we have been told it wont be happening before next July when clubs are back in action. So I assume any finals will be played a couple of weeks prior to the new season starting. There are also some outstanding relegation fixtures to be played.

Minor final postponed by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

I thought I would try here. Does anybody know where I can get a copy of the Sean Boylan documentary from earlier in the year? A brother of mine living in the USA missed it when was on the RTE player.

dobman88 wrote: »
    I play for the DonAsh junior section and we got into a final against Navan. Premier division 8 and we have been told it wont be happening before next July when clubs are back in action. So I assume any finals will be played a couple of weeks prior to the new season starting. There are also some outstanding relegation fixtures to be played.
    I can't say I've any better source but I find it hard to believe they'll wait till July, especially for an 11th tier football final. I know the season is to be split next year but I took that to mean championship starts in July, with leagues cups etc to begin as usual in February?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

I can't say I've any better source but I find it hard to believe they'll wait till July, especially for an 11th tier football final. I know the season is to be split next year but I took that to mean championship starts in July, with leagues cups etc to begin as usual in February?

Jesus. I wish you were in charge. No, we wont be back anywhere close to February. While restrictions are in place, club football wont be happening. Just county. Which is the main reason for the split season.

I'd be hoping to be back training in June, or optimistically, May. That's pure hope that the vaccine is rolled out and we have an almost 100% uptake among players. But if we get back at it by July, I'd be ecstatic. I miss it

Seán Tobin has announced his retirement from inter county. A great servant for the county, it was a pity he didn't get more time the last couple of years I think injuries cost him a bit.

With Mickey Newman gone as well the age profile of the squad will be dropping too. It will be interesting to see who the new faces in the panel are.

Always thought Sean was one of the hardest working forwards off the ball. He was never the fastest, but he'd always be dragging his man all over the place with no reward. Could be wrong, but I think we're beginning to see an increase in the number of intercounty players retiring still in their 20s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Markey1

Always thought Sean was one of the hardest working forwards off the ball. He was never the fastest, but he'd always be dragging his man all over the place with no reward. Could be wrong, but I think we're beginning to see an increase in the number of intercounty players retiring still in their 20s.

True, hard to think there are lads retiring in their 20's. Difficult to see any reward for the sacrifice made over the years probably driving those decisions.

I doubt it's so much the lack of rewards, but the commitment required makes it easier to step away. The vast majority of players have always retired without ever winning an AI or League medal, but the time and effort demands of playing with an inter county team these days are just incomparable to the past.

Markey1 wrote: »
    True, hard to think there are lads retiring in their 20's. Difficult to see any reward for the sacrifice made over the years probably driving those decisions.

A lot of it can be driven by personal circumstance. If you are half decent you will get through college and maybe even get a masters/phd etc out of it as well, and that brings you into your late 20s. The reality of having to work, maybe being in a serious relationship too kicks in around 30 and time becomes an issue.

I think in Seán Tobin's case it is very much Simonstown's gain here. From what I've heard about him he is one of the lads that's great with bringing young lads on and encouraging them. They'll have him 100% now, the reduction in workload will probably help injuries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

And now Graham Reilly though this is not a surprise

https://www.facebook.com/biggy.reilly

Well folks, the time has come for me to announce my retirement form intercounty football. Where to start, from u14 development squads to making my senior Meath debut at 18 it was just a dream come true, as a young lad I always wanted to represent my county and for 12 years at senior level I got to do that. It has being an honour and privilege to put on the green and gold Jersey on so many occasions. There so many people I would like to thank, my dad and Mam for driving me all over the county for years, my family and friends, my club st.colmcilles for being there on and off the pitch for me,the supporters for sticking with me and the team trough good and bad times, and all the management staff and players I played with for so many years I have made some brilliant friends and memories. The highlight for me was to captain my side in 2017 an honour I will never forget. For now I wanna wish the current Meath side all the best for the future, I will be there no.1 supporter. Thanks for all the memories❤️ #uptheroyal.

Thanks Graham for the effort, commitment and dedication to the Meath cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

I thought graham Reilly to be a hell of a good player. One of the best in Ireland at one point imo

Biggy was a cracking player in his prime. Took some abuse at times on the pitch to stop him as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭KIB4Life

dixiefly wrote: »
    And now Graham Reilly though this is not a surprise

https://www.facebook.com/biggy.reilly

Well folks, the time has come for me to announce my retirement form intercounty football. Where to start, from u14 development squads to making my senior Meath debut at 18 it was just a dream come true, as a young lad I always wanted to represent my county and for 12 years at senior level I got to do that. It has being an honour and privilege to put on the green and gold Jersey on so many occasions. There so many people I would like to thank, my dad and Mam for driving me all over the county for years, my family and friends, my club st.colmcilles for being there on and off the pitch for me,the supporters for sticking with me and the team trough good and bad times, and all the management staff and players I played with for so many years I have made some brilliant friends and memories. The highlight for me was to captain my side in 2017 an honour I will never forget. For now I wanna wish the current Meath side all the best for the future, I will be there no.1 supporter. Thanks for all the memories❤️ #uptheroyal.

Thanks Graham for the effort, commitment and dedication to the Meath cause.

Brilliant footballer, as a Clare man he destroyed us on a few occasions in the league particularly in 2017, where he must have kicked 6 or 7 points from play and was just unstoppable that day kicking ridiculous points from all angles. Had it all really on his day, could kick brilliant points, brilliant kick passer and had great pace and a great ball carrier. Probably didn’t get the recognition because he played in a time when Meath were struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

An extremely talented player, who would often destroy the so called lesser teams. Can't help but feel he flattered to deceive when the chips were down against the top counties, when Meath needed a leader. Great servant to the county though, can't fault his commitment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

At least he got a leinster medal. While dublin are playing in that championship in their current form no other leinster player will win that honour.. A weird record to hold.

• Advertisement

Fergal Lynch from the Chronicle has tweeted that it looks like Bernard Flynn will be the new U20 manager. It also seems he will have Graham Geraghty and the Mayo ladies manager with him. Interesting

Advertisement