Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Comfortable enough in the end. Down didn't really put up much of a fight and they looked behind us in conditioning even though they finished the game scoring. Still hard to place Meath still in terms of our overall development. Mayo will be a great barometer next weekend. I wouldn't mind a weekend in Westport if only we could go to the match!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Is the next game Meath v Mayo the winner goes up to division 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

No there’s still the semis with top of the south division to be played....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I thought it was an improvement today on last week, particularly when you factor in the hailstones and general rubbish weather. Really need to sort the free taking out, not everyone will cough up scores to us like Down did. Same with the tackling, in the first half in particular silly fouls kept Down in it.

I thought Cathal Hickey done well, same with Cillian O'Sullivan and Jordy Morris. Its great to get down to Mayo now and take a measure of ourselves down there next week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Nice to be guaranteed a semi final. Nothing to lose against Mayo next weekend. Agreed that Hickey, O'Sullivan and Morris all did well. Costello's injury near the end looked horrific and the "tackle" deserved the red it got.

A bad start from the hurlers cost them down in Kerry. We were 1-10 to 0-2 down after 25 minutes but managed to get back to within 3 at half time. Got within a point early in the second but couldn't pull level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭enricoh

Does the winner of meath n mayo play the runner up down south?
    I'd say both meath and mayo fancy their chances of promotion over any of the southern counties.

enricoh wrote: »
    Does the winner of meath n mayo play the runner up down south?
    I'd say both meath and mayo fancy their chances of promotion over any of the southern counties.
    Yep that's it. All four teams in the south division could still technically qualify for both the promotion and relegation semi finals (though it would take a ridiculous scoreline for Laois to make the promotion semi finals).

Hogan in for Colgan in goals.
    Shot to nothing game today given we're already through to the semi finals. I'd give ourselves a decent chance against any of the teams in the south division.

Referee misses a foul coming out and ends up with a Mayo penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Referee misses a foul coming out and ends up with a Mayo penalty.

Don’t think it’s affecting the result. Mayo a level up to the rest of what’s in Division 2.

Meath need to beat a top team soon though.

• Advertisement

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Don’t think it’s affecting the result. Mayo a level up to the rest of what’s in Division 2.

Meath need to beat a top team soon though.
    Very experimental team out so wouldn’t put much into this result but we have fallen apart since the penalty.
    No point going hell for leather and risk injuries when the big game will be the semi final. Mayo will win their semi final regardless.

Very experimental team out so wouldn’t put much into this result but we have fallen apart since the penalty.
    No point going hell for leather and risk injuries when the big game will be the semi final. Mayo will win their semi final regardless.

Did both teams not make seven changes from the week before? I thought this was a fairly experimental side from Mayo also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭enricoh

Beat Kildare and we're back to division 1, I'll take that. Thought cork would be one of the 2 teams down south, but they always seem to under achieve these days.

Beat Kildare and we're back to division 1, I'll take that. Thought cork would be one of the 2 teams down south, but they always seem to under achieve these days.
    Yeah, job done so far. Hopefully no injuries. Menton and Keogan both pulled up but didn't seem serious.

Pretty much the same as 2019 when Meath beat them in the snow to all but seal promotion and poor Niall Kane broke his arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

How many of that Meath starting 15 today would be regarded as first choice?

How many of that Meath starting 15 today would be regarded as first choice?
    Five or six I'd say. At least based on the teams that started against Westmeath and Down.

yea thought they did grand with the experimental team that they put out. Huge difference in defence when the changes were made obviously. Keoghan and McGill are some players. Was absolutely delighted to see Mickey back, and he looks like he has the hunger big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭blowitupref

30 years ago today

Screenshot-20210602-184351-2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭paul71

30 years ago today

Screenshot-20210602-184351-2.png

Great day! The only time Kevin ever scored in an intercounty game. (I meant the last game of course)

• Advertisement

Always regret not being born 10 years earlier as I don't feel I appreciated how good we were in the mid-late 90s when I started going to games regularly.
    My aul fella went to all 4 games in the saga and was in the Canal End for each one. He said that he could feel the Canal End shake when Foley's goal went in.

Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh commentary of the goal and winning point is phenomenal.
    Always find it hilarious that there's literally not an ounce of emotion from Foley when the goal goes in. Just turns and runs back into the half back line.

Always regret not being born 10 years earlier as I don't feel I appreciated how good we were in the mid-late 90s when I started going to games regularly.
    My aul fella went to all 4 games in the saga and was in the Canal End for each one. He said that he could feel the Canal End shake when Foley's goal went in.

Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh commentary of the goal and winning point is phenomenal.
    Always find it hilarious that there's literally not an ounce of emotion from Foley when the goal goes in. Just turns and runs back into the half back line.

That was my first year going to games, what a way to start. It's funny how the mind plays tricks too because from what I always recalled Beggy kicked that point from outside the 45!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

^^^ Hammer Archer, I was behind the Canal End goals myself that day and your Dad is right The Canal End did shake, never seen glorious mayhem like it since.
    We were still celebrating the goal when Beggy kicked the winning point, we nearly missed it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Such a beautiful passing movement orchestrated by Tommy Dowd. In a weird way, the crescendo of everything that built up to that moment almost meant the goal in its actuality was often overlooked for the thing of beauty it was. Sometimes looking back on it, my butt cheeks still clench thinking O'Leary is going to get a hand in and block Foleys shot. That kind of a chance would be palmed in all day now

Saw that earlier, wouldn’t be for me. Though I’ll prob buy it anyway cos I collect jerseys!

snowgal wrote: »
    Saw that earlier, wouldn’t be for me. Though I’ll prob buy it anyway cos I collect jerseys!

Speaking of Jerseys and given the post above on this page. I have Kevin Foleys jersey from the first game in the 4 game seris and have a question for everyone.

Who is the sponser on the Jersey?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

paul71 wrote: »
    Speaking of Jerseys and given the post above on this page. I have Kevin Foleys jersey from the first game in the 4 game seris and have a question for everyone.

Who is the sponser on the Jersey?

O’Reilly transport?

2018na wrote: »
    O’Reilly transport?

Well done, it was the first year sponsers were allowed on Jerseys and at the time the county board were in negotiation with Kepak. O'Reilly transport swooped in to grab the Jersey for that 1 game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

paul71 wrote: »
    Well done, it was the first year sponsers were allowed on Jerseys and at the time the county board were in negotiation with Kepak. O'Reilly transport swooped in to grab the Jersey for that 1 game.

I had that useless piece of info in my head for all those years so I really appreciate you asking that question today ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ‘. On a side note it was desperately sad Meath didn’t win that all Ireland for those players

Advertisement