Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

Meath's division 1 experience has done them the world of good it seems! Utter rubbish on display

Would love to know what county you support and what has contributed to your hatred of Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Andy McEntee is a very angry man, always comes across pretty toxic. Hardly seems like the right qualities in a manager.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

dobman88 wrote: »
    Would love to know what county you support and what has contributed to your hatred of Meath.
    Meath, supposedly. According to that poster, the only thing standing between us and beating Dublin is belief and fight....

While McEntee did get us to division 1 and the last 8, we just seem to have regressed over the last two seasons. I could have overlooked last season's league campaign had we managed to bounce straight back up. But yesterday was basically our final for the season and the performance fell way short of what was needed. He possibly does deserve another season with a crowd behind the team, but he'll be 5 years in the job by the end of the season and I simply cannot see how much further along than when he got the job.

I see there's been an allegation of spitting before the brawl at the end of the game. There's little that can be done if it wasn't witnessed, but it would explain the reaction. I cannot remember Conor McGill ever getting a straight red either for Meath or Ratoath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I wouldn't say we've regressed, moreso plateaued.

Getting to division one and QF group stages is a nice achievement, but they're effectively an audition to see if your capable of playing at that level and we fell hopelessly short. We can't honestly say we were playing a top 8 level of football.

Luck can also play a part. In 2019 we were all delighted to get Clare in the 4th round qualifier to reach the QFs, because the alternative was Tyrone or Mayo and a far more difficult path to the QFs. It fell the other way this year; a few more or fewer points in the other league group this year would have seen Clare finish top and the semi final would have been Meath vs. Clare in Navan. I'd have been very confident in Meath winning that, and we would be called a top 8 team, mixing it with the best etc. but in reality we'd be no better or worse than we are today after losing to Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭rpurfield

dobman88 wrote: »

You need to concentrate on the times of the posts not the county of origin ;)

• Advertisement

rpurfield wrote: »
    You need to concentrate on the times of the posts not the county of origin ;)

What's significant about 3.30pm? Or 3.23pm which is the one I replied to. Game was almost over at that stage anyway

I wouldn't say we've regressed, moreso plateaued.

Getting to division one and QF group stages is a nice achievement, but they're effectively an audition to see if your capable of playing at that level and we fell hopelessly short. We can't honestly say we were playing a top 8 level of football.

Luck can also play a part. In 2019 we were all delighted to get Clare in the 4th round qualifier to reach the QFs, because the alternative was Tyrone or Mayo and a far more difficult path to the QFs. It fell the other way this year; a few more or fewer points in the other league group this year would have seen Clare finish top and the semi final would have been Meath vs. Clare in Navan. I'd have been very confident in Meath winning that, and we would be called a top 8 team, mixing it with the best etc. but in reality we'd be no better or worse than we are today after losing to Kildare.

I think all of that is a fair assessment. Going into the game I thought it was a 50-50 match anyway. Looking at the championship game last winter and the relative form of Meath I was hopeful. It's just gut wrenching that a lot of times when there's a big game where this side is on an equal footing or better than the opposition they don't perform. Off the top of my head I'm thinking the last two Leinster finals (not the result the performance) yesterday, Longford in 2018.

I don't know if its a case that having not been regularly winning big games at minor and 20s the know how isn't there at the higher level. As usual after the game people are pointing the finger at management and looking for a change, but will that instill the consistent performance in the team all of a sudden.

This isn't soccer where a big name manager a hundred million solves your problem. Changing the manager isn't necessarily the answer. They aren't going to suddenly make the lads world beaters. We've done the square root of sod all for 20 years and we are where we are. I don't know what the answer is but it certainly isn't as simple as a lack of belief, lads being soft or bringing a new backroom team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i wouldnt agree we have done nothing for 20 years. If other 20 counties won a provincial title , got to two all ireland semi finals and gave dublin an 11 point beating in a leinster semi final it would go down on their history as well as being in 2 minor all ireland finals and winnin 3 leinster minor titles. is this not nearly enough? we have been consistent decent div 2 outfit the last 20 years i would have thought. theres a good 14 counties wont ever achieve the above.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i wouldnt agree we have done nothing for 20 years. If other 20 counties won a provincial title , got to two all ireland semi finals and gave dublin an 11 point beating in a leinster semi final it would go down on their history as well as being in 2 minor all ireland finals and winnin 3 leinster minor titles. is this not nearly enough? we have been consistent decent div 2 outfit the last 20 years i would have thought. theres a good 14 counties wont ever achieve the above.

Maybe I am being harsh but I mean it in terms of being back at the very top table. The gaps between them minor Leinster's are significant and a lot of other years we were fairly poor at the grade. Yes we have done a good bit in the last 20 years but before that we were winning All Irelands and Leinsters to beat the band for a good 15 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Maybe I am being harsh but I mean it in terms of being back at the very top table. The gaps between them minor Leinster's are significant and a lot of other years we were fairly poor at the grade. Yes we have done a good bit in the last 20 years but before that we were winning All Irelands and Leinsters to beat the band for a good 15 years!

ah thats golden generation stuff all counties have that, tyrone prob wont ever win another all ireland in next 30 years, probably only kerry and dublin will win all irelands in the next decade Meath and Kildare because of their demographics and very little soccer and rugby will be in a great position once they get their house in order. Donegal and Mayo might not be close to an all ireland for 30 years again. Cork have too many other sports to contend with as do Galway, maybe Down and Antrim if enough money is put into them. We are in a great position as a county if only we get structures right and keep the money flowing in from GAA, we need to get the GAA to make us a minature dublin, which i think there begining to do now and in kildare as well. I think a lot of Leinster counties should actually pull out of the Leinster championship this year and just get starting their club championship, maybe as a form of protest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

I think we are short on quality. If you were picking a squad of the best 30 players (2 in each position) in the country it would be very possible that no Meath players would get in it. We are a solid 7/10 in most position but the teams we are playing against have that as a base level with a couple of 8's & 9's in there too. Obviously, we've lost a few gems abroad but I think most counties suffer from that. I kind of agree with Dickie10 in that the numbers game means we should produce some quality at some stage. It's just been a very barren run of talent coming through and even with bad structures in place that will address itself. Not a great way to be saying that there is no intrinsic Meath greatness that seems to bring talent through year after year like a Kerry.

When was the last time we won any game against Kildare in Newbridge? I know we haven't played them a lot there but every memory I have of a game there, be it league or even O'Byrne Cup. we've lost.

Anyway, club championship draws will take place this Sunday at 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭enricoh

Ugh, I'd nearly take a hockeying in Leinster n a change in manager.
    We had a class act in Donal lenihan left on the bench for the first couple of matches who walked away. Other lads doing sod all n still starting, hard to blame him.

SFC draw
    Group A
    Navan O'Mahonys v Donaghmore/Ashbourne
    Ratoath v Dunshaughlin

Group B
    Curraha v Na Fianna
    St. Colmcilles v Ballinabrackey

Group C
    Gaeil Colmcille v Wolfe Tones
    Simonstown Gaels v Moynalvey

Group D
    Seneschalstown v Summerhill
    Skryne v St. Peter's Dunboyne

Jaysus, group A is a doozy.

IFC
    Group A
    St. Patrick's
    Blackhall Gaels
    Nobber
    Bective

Group B
    Trim
    Clann na nGael
    Longwood
    Moylagh

Group C
    Syddan
    Walterstown
    Oldcastle
    Meath Hill

Group D
    Ballivor
    Drumbaragh
    Kilmainham
    Duleek/Bellewstown

Group E
    St. Michael's
    Ballinlough
    Dunderry
    Rathkenny

JFC
    Group A
    Castletown
    Kilbride
    St. Vincent's
    Cortown

Group B
    Carnaross
    St. Brigid's
    Boardsmill
    Kilmainhamwood

Group C
    Slane
    Moynalty
    Dunsany
    St. Ultans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

SFC draw
    Group A
    Navan O'Mahonys v Donaghmore/Ashbourne
    Ratoath v Dunshaughlin

Group B
    Curraha v Na Fianna
    St. Colmcilles v Ballinabrackey

Group C
    Gaeil Colmcille v Wolfe Tones
    Simonstown Gaels v Moynalvey

Group D
    Seneschalstown v Summerhill
    Skryne v St. Peter's Dunboyne

Jaysus, group A is a doozy.

Just hook Group A straight to my veins!!!!

That's the tonic you need for the return of championship football

That IFC group A hasn't been kind to us anyway. It looks like Blackhall are finally getting their act together and Nobber are decent. Bective won't be any slouches either.

Editing this to ask is there a JFC group missing.

As a blow in to Meath, I was delighted to win Premier 8 with DonAsh today. Some years of good work put into that side of the club came to fruition today. Beating a very good Navan side 3-9 to 1-8. Only disappointing aspect was the Navan fans booing us after while we went to collect the cup at Junior D level :pac:

GET IN THERE.

That IFC group A hasn't been kind to us anyway. It looks like Blackhall are finally getting their act together and Nobber are decent. Bective won't be any slouches either.

Editing this to ask is there a JFC group missing.
    Drumconrath, St. Mary's and Clonard, it seems, are now in the Premier championship (all in division 3). Presumably after being uncompetitive in the JFC for the last few years. It's worrying the number of clubs that seem to be going a similar direction to St. Paul's. Clonard especially were relatively competitive in Junior A up until recently (with Flanagan a regular with Meath).

Ratoath and Trim are playing in the first round of the 2021 hurling championship, probably only a week or two after playing in the 2020 hurling final.

• Advertisement

Drumconrath, St. Mary's and Clonard, it seems, are now in the Premier championship (all in division 3). Presumably after being uncompetitive in the JFC for the last few years. It's worrying the number of clubs that seem to be going a similar direction to St. Paul's. Clonard especially were relatively competitive in Junior A up until recently (with Flanagan a regular with Meath).

Ratoath and Trim are playing in the first round of the 2021 hurling championship, probably only a week or two after playing in the 2020 hurling final.

Clonard and Mary's are doing savage work at underage and I think if they can hang in there there will be better days ahead. I don't know where Drumconrath are at in that regard. I was listening to We Are Meath earlier and they mentioned the regrading. They were also saying when three go down to Junior from the IFC this year the junior then splits into Junior 1 and 2. It seems the 1 will be the three relegated plus the 7 that got out of this years JFC groups and the 2 is the other 10 to include Pauls Clonard and Marys. Of them all I'd be most concerned for Pauls. They're squeezed in between some massive clubs so I assume young lads coming through are non existent.

Callaghan and Kelly taking over from Flynn with the U20s. It seems that the county board are taking the "nothing to see here" approach.
    It's hard to see how McEntee's position is tenable after this season after this debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It's a bit of a disaster alright. But I'm surprised it took this long.

McEntee has been a good appointment in team performance terms, but it's clear he has a hard headed approach to things. Now you could say this is a good thing for a manager to have but it has often boiled over to unacceptable behaviour. There's a handful of his actions ranging from simply not allowing players to play with their clubs to more serious incidents where he has abused referees, journalists etc. and the supporters have simply rowed in behind him. The county board have either done the same or stayed silent.

It was only a matter of time before he'd clash with someone who wouldn't take it and would end up embarrassing the county board.

I'm not sure if it was ever an official policy but it certainly puts paid to the McEntee-Flynn succession plan I've seen mentioned a lot.

I think the succession was more about the managers coming in behind Flynn to the 20s. If anything it makes inherent sense to leave a management team with a group of players through age grades. I don't think it should have took a specific manager coming in and making it part of him coming on board to bring it in.

I'm sort of on the fence about the whole thing, if the U20 ran when it should have it would've been no issue. Maybe if the game in Newbridge wasn't so detrimental in terms of losing players it may not have been an issue. But on the other hand a successful championship this year will be avoiding Dublin as long as possible and when we do meet them hoping it lasts longer than the 15 minutes or so the Leinster final took last year. Maybe this was the year to have a really good crack at the U20 and bring lads along with a bit of confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Does anyone know the exact reason for Flynn pulling the plug?

Were Hickey and Costello being pulled for under 20 Championship games or was Andy refusing to release them for training sessions / challenge games?

Well done to the ladies, winning the division 2 title. They hammered Kerry 2-16 to 1-9 and are back in division 1 for the first time in 7 years next year.

Well done to the ladies, winning the division 2 title. They hammered Kerry 2-16 to 1-9 and are back in division 1 for the first time in 7 years next year.

I was seriously impressed with them yesterday now, it was a great display. They have a tough group in the championship but I think they are good enough to at least consolidate their position this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Can't help but feel the amalgamation of Junior A and B is part of the cause of this. I found that a ridiculous move. Teams in Junior B getting promoted without doing or winning anything, and numerous teams with no chance of ever winning a Junior championship.

Thankfully there is a Junior 1 and 2 next year. I think that'll improve things and make things more competitive for the stronger and struggling teams.

Longford it is in Navan next Sunday. Honestly, not very confident especially with McGill suspended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Longford it is in Navan next Sunday. Honestly, not very confident especially with McGill suspended.

If McGill is the difference between us beating Longford or not we may pack up and leave the lads off for the summer.

Advertisement