Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Obrieski wrote: »
    Big Joe down in Mullingar in possibly the wettest day there ever was...pulled on a ball on the ground from what seemed like halfway (about the 45 in reality) and drove it over the bar! Pity there was never any video footage of it but will live long in the memory.

I was going to reply with this too. I was up that end of the ground that day and from memory it was a matter of a few inches of it going in the top corner. I think the clothes I wore that day are still wet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i remember that when the draw was made for meath v westmeath in qualifiers in 2009 it was set up for a memorable game, westmeath going well they were in quater finals the year before, and we beat them out the gate, that was a fantastic perfermance. amazing the way the wet day ****ed it up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Just looking at those teams of best 15 since you’ve started watching Meath and the lack of recent players is clearly noticeable!

Maybe a trickier task - but what is your Meath 15 of players from 2002 to the present day? And that is only their contribution from 2002 season onwards.

Off the top of my head gave mine a stab below, probably am missing a few (to include Geraghty or not was a tricky one as his best years were clearly 96-01) It’s a shame we probably won’t have a championship this year as a solid year from CO’S, Lavin, Gallagher etc would have them pushing for a spot.

1. B Murphy
    2. M Burke
    3. K Reilly
    4. E Harrington
    5. D Keoghan
    6. A Moyles
    7. C King
    8. N Crawford
    9. B Meade
    10. Biggie
    11. C Ward
    12. S O’Rourke
    13. S Bray
    14. J Sheridan
    15. M Newman

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Completely forgot about the jersey clash in the drawn game in '96. How were they allowed to go on the pitch like that?

• Advertisement

Just looking at those teams of best 15 since you’ve started watching Meath and the lack of recent players is clearly noticeable!

Maybe a trickier task - but what is your Meath 15 of players from 2002 to the present day? And that is only their contribution from 2002 season onwards.

Off the top of my head gave mine a stab below, probably am missing a few (to include Geraghty or not was a tricky one as his best years were clearly 96-01) It’s a shame we probably won’t have a championship this year as a solid year from CO’S, Lavin, Gallagher etc would have them pushing for a spot.

1. B Murphy
    2. M Burke
    3. K Reilly
    4. E Harrington
    5. D Keoghan
    6. A Moyles
    7. C King
    8. N Crawford
    9. B Meade
    10. Biggie
    11. C Ward
    12. S O’Rourke
    13. S Bray
    14. J Sheridan
    15. M Newman
    So we're including players that won in 1999 (and possibly 1996) but continued on afterwards? Here's mine then.

Brendan Murphy
    Donal Keogan
    Conor McGill
    Chris O'Connor
    Seamus Kenny
    Kevin Reilly
    Brian Menton
    Nigel Crawford
    Conor Gillespie
    Graham Reilly
    Graham Geraghty
    Cian Ward
    Stephen Bray
    Joe Sheridan
    Brian Farrell

I've included Geraghty as he was excellent up to 2007 or so. Also could easily have included Darren Fay as he was back to his best for some of those years. Kind of had to shuffle around the backs as I thought that none of McGill, Reilly and Menton should miss out.
    Didn't include Shane O'Rourke simply due to his injury and the fact that we had a huge number of decent forwards in that time. Less so in midfield which is why Gillespie got in.
    You look at the major injuries to those two and David Bray (who was incredible in 2009) and we really could have had a much more successful team in that time.

1. B Murphy
    2. M Burke
    3. K Reilly
    4. E Harrington
    5. D Keoghan
    6. A Moyles
    7. C King
    8. N Crawford
    9. B Meade
    10. Biggie
    11. C Ward
    12. S O’Rourke
    13. S Bray
    14. J Sheridan
    15. M Newman

I hadn't really included any newer players as I don't believe some of them have been around long enough or were as good as what went before to be honest.

1. B Murphy
    2. M Burke
    3. K Reilly
    4. C Mc Gill
    5. D Keoghan
    6. A Moyles
    7. C King
    8. N Crawford
    9. B Menton
    10. Biggie
    11. J Sheridan
    12. B McMahon
    13. C. Ward
    14. S. Bray
    15. M Newman

Feel bad leaving Seamus Kenny and Brian Farrell out. Same goes for Podge Harnan. I also think in another couple of years James Conlon, Shane Walsh Seamus Lavin and Shane Gallagher will be in with a shout with a bigger body of work behind them.

Folks not sure if any of ye are on Instagram. If ye are I’m looking for a vote. Bodibro we’re running a competition to design a training top and one I made is in it. I’ve entered it in the hope of picking up a set for my young lads team. If you follow the link I’ll put at the end and vote for St. Patrick’s top I’d be grateful. There’s also a Ratoath one in there as it’s 16 clubs so do the deed for them too. https://instagram.com/stories/bodibro/2294585648474084372?igshid=k5zgbhx45oua

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Barry is the first high profile player I've seen comment on things. I'd love to get the general consensus from players. As a player (albeit a low junior level) my heart says get back training and playing and to hell with consequences. My head says cop on ta fcuk and let it go for this year.

https://twitter.com/Barry_Dardis/status/1255417574847918080?s=19

Have to agree with Barry there, how do you run the games. In fairness you might get a few hundred at a game but when it comes to the teams I think it's a different story. Lads up on top of each other sweating and blowing, I just don't think it feasible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It's depressing, but realistically there won't be team sports for a long while yet. Even disregarding all the shared changing facilities etc. just think about the game itself. Players within cm of each other and regularly in contact, in large groups.

A player could catch the virus and be asymptomatic, then play a game 2 days later. Leaving the dressing room he wipes his nose, then touches every ball in a warm up drill. Every player on his panel, as well as any selectors/ kitmen/whoever then touch the same ball is potentially exposed, then the opposition players etc. Then marking his man he's breathing heavily, regularly drinking and spilling water etc.

Any individual case might be unlikely, but multiply this across hundreds of clubs with thousands of training sessions and games, and transmission of the virus would be a certainty.

Championship draws to be made over the next couple of weeks.

all happened so quick in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

https://meath.gaa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/2020-Meath-GAA-Return-to-Play-11-06-20.pdf

Hopefully all this goes to plan. I was born to play division 8 football :pac:

The Senior draw will be very interesting. No seeding and there's bound to be a Group of Death meaning some stronger teams will miss out on the semi finals. Teams are going to have to hit the ground running as one loss will probably mean you're chances of progressing are gone.

I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully they're able to stream some games now that the app has gone.

Senior hurling will be very interesting. You could get one group of Kildalkey, Kiltale and Ratoath, plus one group of Navan, CnG and Blackhall Gaels. The winner of each will go through to the semi final.

If Dunboyne and Kilmessan are kept apart in the B groups you'd expect the 2 of them to win their groups, though if they're drawn together it leaves the door open for a weaker team to make a rare (or first) semi final appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Senior hurling will be very interesting. You could get one group of Kildalkey, Kiltale and Ratoath, plus one group of Navan, CnG and Blackhall Gaels. The winner of each will go through to the semi final.

If Dunboyne and Kilmessan are kept apart in the B groups you'd expect the 2 of them to win their groups, though if they're drawn together it leaves the door open for a weaker team to make a rare (or first) semi final appearance.

Only one team comes out of the B groups, so still difficult enough for a weaker team to make a semi final, playing second placed team from an A group. But I see what you mean, still a good opportunity for a weaker club to be in knockout stages. Should be a great championship.

Don't think any clubs in Meath (football or hurling) can have many complaints, it's the best format anybody could have hoped for.

paul0103 wrote: »
    Only one team comes out of the B groups, so still difficult enough for a weaker team to make a semi final, playing second placed team from an A group. But I see what you mean, still a good opportunity for a weaker club to be in knockout stages. Should be a great championship.

Don't think any clubs in Meath (football or hurling) can have many complaints, it's the best format anybody could have hoped for.

Apologies, looks like I misread it! Thought it was first from each group going through like in the football.

paul0103 wrote: »

Agreed. I like how they preempted any questions regarding straight knockout with/without a backdoor. I think the system they've come up with is the best one possible given the exceptional circumstances. They've also made it clear that knockout games will have to be settled on the day so we could be seeing penalty/65 shootouts in some knockout games. Not ideal but it is the only way to get the championships done in the timeframe.

It's great to see the planner and all the guidelines out like that. Actually cannot wait to see a match now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

groups of 3 in the hurling could be a disaster with teams levels on points / score diff + head to head

christy ring format may have been easier but either way its great to see

sc86 wrote: »
    groups of 3 in the hurling could be a disaster with teams levels on points / score diff + head to head

sure points difference and then scores difference then scores got

sc86 wrote: »

I'd say the odds of 2 or 3 teams finishing on equal points, equal score difference and and equal scores for are very very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭poppers

Club Championship draw live on lmfm and usual social chanels 3pm on sunday

Looks like this has come to pass!

Group D in the SFC is a doozy. And Nobber's first game back in Senior sees them face Brian Farrell in charge of Ratoath.

i think clan na gael will relish playing kilmessan i fancy them to top that group

I've just been reading in the Sunday Independent this morning that David Gough has told the County Board he won't be refereeing while the 2 metre rule is in place. He also doesn't want to be putting his umpires in the way of potential infection. I've absolutely no issue with that, but it's got me wondering will clubs see players not coming back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

rpurfield wrote: »
    I've just been reading in the Sunday Independent this morning that David Gough has told the County Board he won't be refereeing while the 2 metre rule is in place. He also doesn't want to be putting his umpires in the way of potential infection. I've absolutely no issue with that, but it's got me wondering will clubs see players not coming back too.

Think it's a bit of a cop out to be honest. The virus is now at negligible levels. See the below article for example....

Expert: One in a million chance of randomly contracting Covid-19:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/expert-one-in-a-million-chance-of-randomly-contracting-covid-19-1006429.html

The referee isn't being marked by anyone and has no need to have close contact with anyone within 2 metres during the course of a game, either has an umpire.

Perhaps David is just enjoying his time off. He seems to get alot of media attention now and is revelling in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

Makes some farce of club championship when county players already unavailable for club training 4 months out from leinster championship.
    Club gets punished for having top players.
    Are these guys brain dead ? No back door this year, pointless stuff.

Advertisement