Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Tyrone must love playing us. Missing their best players they know we still won't turn up. Very frustrating as with a different approach we could be genuinely challenging in the league.

We were in such dissaray that second half and even at times in the first. Wallace dropping the ball with a man on below the stand and gifts Tyrone and easy point. Basic basic stuff.

Pity we didn't show up. I would have love the game to be in balance with 10 to go to see has our fitness improved. I'd give us a decent chance against donegal and mayo the next 2 weeks at home and in reality with both Dublin, kerry and monaghan away they are relegation battles for us. Good traveling meath crowd and Omagh isn't the closest. Long may it last. Another positive is thank god for once we aren't worrying about relegation to div! Even if we are to go down last year and this year will stand to the squad and making returning to div 1 easier in future.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Such a disappointment that the goalkeeping issue is still ongoing. And we're still going stupidly long in games without scoring. Watched some of both division 1 games on Saturday night and I can only think that we could be in for some hammerings by the end of March.

Hurlers nearly pulled it out of the bag in Birr. They were 8 down at half time but got to within a point in injury time before losing by 2. Bodes well for the rest of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Big match on Sunday, Donegal are missing players and we are missing players. We werent good enough on Sunday , and if we dont stay in the div we are not good enough. Simple as All teams have players missing. But still it is concern and headache all these injuries , but we just need to get on with it , sport at the elite level is tough and we are up with the best teams in the country and there is a big difference between div 1 and 2. In div 1 your punished for your mistakes , you must take your chances and the game management of teams like Dublin , kerry , Tyrone , Donegal and Mayo is excellent.

Anyway How many players are Donegal injured and who is on their injury list. Meath had 10 injured players on Sunday and 7 or 8 are first team starters and other two wouldnt be far off starting . Meath players injured on Sunday were eg Seamus Lavin , Shane Gallagher , Padraig Harnan , Shane McEntee , Dara Campion, Andy Colgan , Ethan Devine , Donal lenihan, Shane Walsh and Michael Newman.

Only Devine could be attention on Sunday. Walsh and lenihan are few weeks away , Newman gone til June. Donegal and Meath are usually very tight afairs. Donegal did pull away in last ten mins in the championship, but it was a right battle til 60 min. And in the performance twice in the league last year , championship game in 2017 and league game in 2014 , there was a point or 2 between the teams and the game went down to the wire and were decided in injury time. Donegal have won the game with a draw in 2014. But they have been very tight affairs. Sunday could be the same , but Donegal.will be strong favs and deservedly so as they have shown they are one of the best teams in the country for a decade. And of course Donegals greatest footballer ever and one of the modern greats , Michael Murphy has been huge thorn in Meaths side. And it looks like McBreaty is back from the US and he is another class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What is yere best 15 likely to look like in the summer?

keane2097 wrote: »
    What is yere best 15 likely to look like in the summer?

Best 15 All back from injuries

1 Goalkeeper????? Colgan out for 6 months, goalie position very hard to know
    2 Seamus Lavin
    3 Conor McGill
    4 Shane Gallagher
    5 James McEntee
    6 Padraig Harnan
    7 Donal keoghan
    8 Brian Menton
    9 Ronan Jones
    10 Cillian Sullivan
    11 Bryan McMahon/ Dara Campion/Matthew Costello ??
    12 Ethan Devine/ Eamon Wallace/ Ben Brennan ??
    13 Donal Lenihan
    14 Shane Walsh
    15 Michael Newman

There 1 or 2 positions in the half forwards that are up for grabs when everyone back, but that would be our best 6 backs best midfield and full forward line. Other players pushing hard for places Robin Clarke and Ronan Ryan in the backs, Brian Conlon at midfield, and Jack O Connor and Joey Wallace in the forwards . This would in my opinion our best 15.

1 Andy Colgan
    2 Seamus Lavin
    3 Conor McGill
    4 Shane Gallagher
    5 James McEntee
    6 Padraig Harnan
    7 Donal keoghan
    8 Brian Menton
    9 Ronan Jones
    10 Cillian Sullivan
    11 Matthew Costello
    12 Ethan Devine
    13 Donal Lenihan
    14 Shane Walsh
    15 Michael Newman

9 of them will possibly missing on Sunday, 8 injuries and Jones back in the states.

• Advertisement

Hoo boy are we in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Division One too much for Meath

Congratulations to Donegal. Best kickout in the country, Pattton. Murphy is one of the modern greats. Bonner/Rockford managment team, quality management, lots of quality young players, a team to look out for in the coming years and I wouldnt be surprised they are All Ireland champions in 2 to 3 years time. They will be an All Ireland final at least in the next 2 to 3 years. Well done Donegal , better team won.

Meath we are not good enough. Its simple as. I was hoping we could improve on super 8s but its not happening. We are in trouble and Mayo is a must win game, lose that and its pretty much curtains. What we can hope for then is get more players back from injury. Get more div 1 experience and try and get a victory in div 1. If the league is over, its the championship, get players back from injury and aim for super 8s again. Playing the top teams will help. And if we go down, we should be young enough to go up again. Even though div 2 again this year is an unreal competitive division looking at the results in first two weeks. Its never easy getting out of div 2.

Div 1 is a steep learning curve, best teams in the country , all the evidence is pointing to Meath are not good enough. But we just got keep at it. These games v best teams in the country , best players in the country, is invaluable experience for Meath. I suspose the question is will we learn from it. Are will we continue to be a kind of top div 2 team but not good enough for div 1 team. A team.that can reach super 8s but are losing badly at that level. Thats the level it seems we are at the moment. Still there is the championship. All GAA in every county when the championship comes the hope is a bit stronger. But at the moment Meath are getting a tough lesson by the best teams in the country. Thats what sport is at the elite level. Brutally tough. We just gotta keep at. Hopefully over a couple seasons can make headway. But it looks at the moment we are not good enough.
    Well done again Donegal. A modern superpower in the game. And great gaa supporters.

Donegal are no super power and won't come anywhere near Dublin in the summer. They'll only make a final if they can avoid Dublin in the semi's. Serious amount of play acting out of them today but I guess that's what's needed at the top. No place for honourable teams anymore.

I think we could get a result of mayo but probably won't. It's pretty much a relegation match but it's great to be worrying about relegation to div 2 instead of div 3 for once.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Donegal are no super power and won't come anywhere near Dublin in the summer. They'll only make a final if they can avoid Dublin in the semi's. Serious amount of play acting out of them today but I guess that's what's needed at the top. No place for honourable teams anymore.

I think we could get a result of mayo but probably won't. It's pretty much a relegation match but it's great to be worrying about relegation to div 2 instead of div 3 for once.

It is much better to be worrying about relegation from div 1 then div 2. Mayo , we have chance. Galway have a dreadul record in Navan , havent won their in 40 years and Monaghan in Clones is a local Derby. If we go down , evenif we could get 1 or victories it would all help. Playing 10 games v best teams in the country in the last 6 months is invaluable experience.

We cannot use the injuries as an excuse , but they are headache. Missing half your defence and 3 best forwards and couple more players. would be headache for every team in the country. If we could get over Mayo , there is a month today til Galway game at home. We should a few back by then, especially lenihan and Walsh.

If the league is a total washout. Im personally still looking forward to how the team plays when we have lavin, Gallagher and Harnan into the defence , Campion and S McEntee and Kane ( who also injured as options) but particularly lenihan Walsh Newman forward line. They are the three best forwards we have, a different level in what we had today and they have never played together and not even two of them have ever started a game for Meath together as far as I can see. Even Newman and lenihan.

The one positive in the last 2 games is Thomas Reilly has stepped up . And when you get Donal lenihan Shane Walsh beside him for possibly the Galway game and games following that we will have better options upfront. Players who can win ball and score. This below team does look stronger. The season is not over , its only starting. The league might be a kick in the stomach , but I am still looking forward to the championship. If the championship is a washout also. Then its back to drawing board for McEntee and he needs a rethink. Maybe this season will be not good. But I am very intereted to see how we will do with 3 of our best defenders back and 3 best forwards and few others. Its not excuse for not staying in div 1, but its not help or positive , its a headache a concern and worry. Here could be potential chanpionship Meath team playing in July in leinstet final or a massive game in the qualifiers.

1 Marcus Brennan
    2 Seamus Lavin
    3 Conor McGill
    4 Shane Gallagher
    5 James McEntee
    6 Padraig Harnan
    7 Donal keoghan
    8 Brian Menton
    9 Ronan Jones
    10 Cillian Sullivan
    11 Thomas Reilly
    12 Dara Campion
    13 Donal lenihan
    14 Shane Walsh
    15 Mickey Newman

Add those 7 players and S McEntee, N kane to the bench. Id like to see how that team plays. Maybe it will not be good. Maybe it will not make much impact. Time will tell. But I definatly feel if you ads lenihan, Walsh and Newman to the team it takes the blunt egde of the forward play.
    If you look at a forward line where Sullivan and Reilly are on the 40 ( Reilly has played allot of Club on the 40). Along Campion who showed v kerry last year he has potential and Newman, Lenihan and Walsh inside, I think we would have more scores in the forward line, thats s much superior forward line to what we have currently. Thats what I think. Maybe I am wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭enricoh

Thought Brennan did well in nets, he had a lot of pressure on his kickouts. Infuriating not pushing up on Donegal kickouts in the first half with the strong wind.
    I think we did better in the second half when the game was over! When third goal went in was expecting an anihillation.
    Michael Murphy has a charmed existence with refs as far as I can see!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    They'll only make a final if they can avoid Dublin in the semi's.

What team would that not apply to at the moment!?

Niall kane and Dara Campion are injured also with another 8 players eg Seamus Lavin, Shane Gallagher, Padraig Harnan,Mickey Newman, Shane Walsh, Donal Lenihan, Andy Colgan, Shane McEntee. Thats our goalkeeper, our two corner backs. our centre back, Menton midfield partner last year and our three best forwards and 3 best freetakers and couple of more players also.

Like Kane and Campion. Kane if fit would be pushing hard to start in the defence, after Campions excellent performance v kerry last year, he would starting or very close to starting. Its not an excuse, we are not good enough at the moment, simple as, and all teams are missing player. But the forwards look blunt, the same way they did v Dublin . If you had forward line of 10 Cillian Sullivan 11 Thomas Reilly 12 Dara Campion 13 Donal Lenihan 14 Shane Walsh 15 Mickey Newman. Its a completely different forward line, its not as blunt as today, all those players can win ball and score. We have pacey small skilful player who can run with ball and create space, but not great at scoring from play, But if you add Campion, Lenihan, Newman and Walsh to the mix up front, its much more dynamic and less blunt, more options upfront. Maybe this year will be a washout league and championship. But having Walsh and Newman back for Galway game hopefully and couple more , it lessens the headache and concern with injuries. Its not an excuse, We are not good enough. If we lose v Mayo, we are on the verge of relegation.Its all about experience and even 1 victory this level with help us later on in the year. Our league could be finished next week in terms of staying in the div. But the year is not . 4 months til championship. 4 months is long time in football. If we go down, we need to use this time as experience a massive learning process. But so far div 1 has being a very tough experience for Meath and with Dublin and kerry away and Monaghan in Clones, a rejuvenated Galway under Joyce and Mayo who need points in Navan, its going get even tougher. At the moment it doesnt look like Meath can break the div 2 team hoodoo, it does look at the moment we are a yo yo team. There is a serious gap between div 2 and div 1. Even though div 2 is a brillant div and the most exciting. Already this year its really being very competitive. But to try and go from 9th or 10th o 11 th best team in the country into the 6 or 7, is a massive task and Meath are failing miserably at the moment at achieving that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I'm still furstrated as hell over the game today. I can allow for the injuries but the ball was moved too slowly and lads were afraid to take ball near contact. At one stage in the first half Joey Wallace had a chance for a shot in front of the terrace and played it back and three passes later it was turned over. That summed up the performance today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

rpurfield wrote: »
    I'm still furstrated as hell over the game today. I can allow for the injuries but the ball was moved too slowly and lads were afraid to take ball near contact. At one stage in the first half Joey Wallace had a chance for a shot in front of the terrace and played it back and three passes later it was turned over. That summed up the performance today.

This exactly.....mor from me tomorrow...

rpurfield wrote: »

But the injury crisis is an issue. Its no an excuse. We are not good enough, simple as. . But div 1 teams have the panel, experience and know how to deal with injuries. For any div 2 trying to stay in div 1 its not ideal situation to be in.

Look at injurys div 1

Dublin 3 injured - Callaghan, Cluxton, Sullivan
    Mayo 4 injured- Clarke, Barret, O Shea, O Connor
    Galway 6 injured - Molloy, Silke, kerins, Burke, Conroy, Power.
    Donegal 6 injured - McNelis, McGee, Gillespie, McBreaty, McGrath, McMenimin.
    Meath 11 injured - Lavin, Kane, Gallagher, McEntee, Campion, Harnan, Lenihan, Newman, Walsh, Kennelly, Colgan.

Kerry have pretty much full 15 starting, I think Monaghan are pretty full strenght also. So Meath could have more players injured then Mayo, Dublin, Kerry and Monaghan put together. Its not an excuse. But for any div 2 trying to break into div 1 it is a concern and a worry.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    What team would that not apply to at the moment!?
    None unfortunately. I could only see a team like kerry or donegal push Dublin close if Dublin lost a key man early in the game like the final last year. Otherwise Dublin are going to win the next 3 years without breaking a sweat.

RIP Margaret McEntee, mother of Andy and Gerry and grandmother of Shane and James.

Sonny678 wrote: »
    But the injury crisis is an issue. Its no an excuse. We are not good enough, simple as. . But div 1 teams have the panel, experience and know how to deal with injuries. For any div 2 trying to stay in div 1 its not ideal situation to be in.

Look at injurys div 1

Dublin 3 injured - Callaghan, Cluxton, Sullivan
    Mayo 4 injured- Clarke, Barret, O Shea, O Connor
    Galway 6 injured - Molloy, Silke, kerins, Burke, Conroy, Power.
    Donegal 6 injured - McNelis, McGee, Gillespie, McBreaty, McGrath, McMenimin.
    Meath 11 injured - Lavin, Kane, Gallagher, McEntee, Campion, Harnan, Lenihan, Newman, Walsh, Kennelly, Colgan.

Kerry have pretty much full 15 starting, I think Monaghan are pretty full strenght also. So Meath could have more players injured then Mayo, Dublin, Kerry and Monaghan put together. Its not an excuse. But for any div 2 trying to break into div 1 it is a concern and a worry.

I don't disagree at all Sonny about the injuries. However I still think that it doesn't excuse the lack of tempo or the going back with balls etc. It is a step up but I believe the game play should still have been better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I see details have been released on the status of the Páirc Tailteann redevelopment. I know stadia are expensive, (and some people have ludicrously misguided ideas of what a stadium should cost) but €12.6 Million for one stand, floodlights, and "ancilliary works" is a bit disheartening when you consider it's only Phase 1 and not even the largest phase of the project.

Then there's a €2-3 Million funding gap that will need to be covered either by debt and/or the clubs. It'd take another 30 house draws to fund that....

Still, it'll be good to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Colm Parkinson analysed the Meath game on his podcast on Monday. Sums up I feel pretty accurately what we are like from a neutral point of view at the moment.

What was the attendance at the meath donegal match?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Seeking a bit of advice re optimum parking on Sunday?

Hoping to make a quick get away on Sunday in the Dublin direction.

Thanks.

I generally park in the small car park outside Smyth's Flathouse (opposite Solstice). If you get there pretty early, there should be a space or two. It's a less than 10 minute walk from PT but you're straight out onto the old Dublin Road and then the M3 from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I generally park in the small car park outside Smyth's Flathouse (opposite Solstice). If you get there pretty early, there should be a space or two. It's a less than 10 minute walk from PT but you're straight out onto the old Dublin Road and then the M3 from there.

Much appreciated Hammer Archer.

Pitch inspection in Navan at 8.30 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

Isn't tomorrow's forecast to be worse. Surprised if it goes ahead.

Yet another instance of us shooting ourselves in the foot.

It's so frustrating. That was our chance. Handing the ball to Mayo in our own 45 was bad enough, but whoever flicked the ball into the terrace after Mayo got the sideline when we were 1 up should get a bollocking in the dressing room. Basically turned an almost impossible chance from the sideline into almost a gimme from 13m further in.

We are useless. Probably in the top 3 for hardest training teams yet we've the skills of a div 4 outfit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭enricoh

No killer instinct at all, should have had 2 points out of that. Wide count was dreadful again.

Got a lot of joy when we started pushing up on their kickouts in the second half, no idea why we waited 40 minutes to do it.
    Performance was a lot better than previous week, backs n midfield done well but the wides killed us.

Advertisement