Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i suppose meath fans majority of the population is on kildare and dublin and maybe westmeath borders so Cavan dosent register anymore than a game with Rosscommon or Laois. I would think really meaths big rivals are Kildare the last 25 years, they usually bring huge crowds out, but it is to do with shred cultures etc, there both counties that interact with each other a lot in work and business, like over half the people going to college in meath would go to maynooth university, people working in HP and Intel as well as shred intrests in horseracing so lots of kildare GAA people would be down at Navan and Fairyhouse and Meath people would go up to Naas, Curragh and Punchestown.

Same when down at Galway for races meath and kildare heads would make up a huge amount of the attendance. there just two very similar counties, they did meet in quater final in 2010, kildare won but cant remember it as overly bitter, for such rivals its fairly unbitter. you would imagine Westmeath would be very bitter as they were under Meaths thumb forever since up to 2015, but I find them not that bitter really, i would be very near border and they enjoyed the win big time in 2015 but were sporting about it too. i think its the fact the border area between meath and westmeath is predominantly hurling first area, where westmeath wuld be slightly ahead so there no inferiority complex to Meath. im not sure whats up with Louth they seemed to always have a chip on their shoulder towards Meath, but I would think Cavan would always rather beat Monaghon before Meath.

You sound quite presumptuous, talking on other people's behalf as to who they would see as rivals i.e talking rubbish. You even talk on behalf of Cavan people at the end, as to who they should see as their main rivals. Just because you can't see how Cavan are rivals, doesn't mean they aren't.

It's a well known rivalry, it always was. You could nitpick any rivalry and question "is it really a rivalry"? It is and will always be. Rivalry's go up and down in intensity given a counties circumstance, that's standard.

Also, all counties in Ireland share the same culture, with those of an orange persuasion being an outlier. There is no distinct culture between Irish counties, we are one people. Your using the word completely out of context

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Dickie10

oh i would think there are definite different cultures within regions of ireland. just saying the point that even though counties border each other they may not always have rivalry. Galway v clare? tipp v offaly?

you seem protective of this meath v cavan 1949 /52 "rivalry" !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I've never met any Meath fans who would consider Cavan as rivals, especially those under 50 or 60. I suppose it depends on where you're living. Those in Kells/Carnaross/Oldcastle etc. possibly would. Likewise, those in Ballinabrackey may think of Offaly as rivals whereas I wouldn't.

I'm not sure how you could see it as a rivalry in the traditional sense given the rarity of meetings, especially in the championship. For me it'd be Dublin (even though it's been depressingly one sided for the last 10 years), Kildare, Louth and Westmeath in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭rrs

It would be the border parts, Kells people throwing stones at Cavan cars returning from Croke Park in 97, showed a bit of hatred/rivalry

I doubt people around Ratoath or Ashbourne would have been doing it. Monaghan would be Cavans main rivals tm, though that's more around the border parts too like Cootehill or Redhills
    Parts of Cavan where there would be rivalry with Longford, Arva, Gowna, Mullahoran. Mullahoran has a short border with Fineagh in Westmeath too.
    Killeshandra, Arva border Carrigallen in Leitrim.
    Good bit of a west cavan borders fermanagh /Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Everyone in a every border area in every county would especially like to see their county beat the county over the border; it's nothing special and not really enough to say those counties have a rivalry. Nor is often playing (or even losing to) a certain county a rivalry-Meath played Derry about 15 times in 20 years during Boylan's reign but you'd never call it a rivalry.

Meath and Cavan may have had a rivalry in the 40s and 50s but it's laughable to say that if you surveyed Meath fans today that any of them would have Cavan high up their list as rivals. More people would see Mayo as a rival than Cavan.

• Advertisement

How would Mayo be a rival, because of a row in the 96 All Ireland? Have Meath played Mayo in championship since? . Barely played each other much in the League bar this year

Played in 2009 and last year.
    And I'd assume it's mostly to do with the large number of Mayo people (my family included) that arrived here in the 1950s thanks to the Land Commission (You can take our land but you'll never take our Sam) meaning that most places would have a certain number of second generation Mayo supporters.

rrs wrote: »
    How would Mayo be a rival, because of a row in the 96 All Ireland? Have Meath played Mayo in championship since? . Barely played each other much in the League bar this year

That was sort of my point;Mayo barely count as a rival (and even then that's nearly all just a hangover from 1996), but it'd still mean far more to Meath fans to beat Mayo than it would Cavan.

Well I doubt you speak for all Meath fans. Not along the border areas. I remember when Cavan beat Meath in 05 in the qualifiiers, there was plenty of bullish Meath in the hill in Clones. Around Oldcastle or Kells it would mean more to beat Cavan I'd say then a County 3 hours west

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Dickie10 wrote: »
    oh i would think there are definite different cultures within regions of ireland. just saying the point that even though counties border each other they may not always have rivalry. Galway v clare? tipp v offaly?

you seem protective of this meath v cavan 1949 /52 "rivalry" !

Your getting the word culture mixed up with customs in this context.

I'm not protective of anything. The fact your trying to show this is not a rivalry to begin, shows it is, as there's definitely more there than your standard game between two counties. You wouldn't be downplaying it otherwise, if there was nothing there to begin with

Just go back to trying to decipher who other people in other counties view or should view as rivals, because I guess you know what everyone else thinks! Shown by the fact you know how everyone in Meath views Cavan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I've never met any Meath fans who would consider Cavan as rivals, especially those under 50 or 60. I suppose it depends on where you're living. Those in Kells/Carnaross/Oldcastle etc. possibly would. Likewise, those in Ballinabrackey may think of Offaly as rivals whereas I wouldn't.

I'm not sure how you could see it as a rivalry in the traditional sense given the rarity of meetings, especially in the championship. For me it'd be Dublin (even though it's been depressingly one sided for the last 10 years), Kildare, Louth and Westmeath in that order.

I know you’re from the far side of the county in Ratoath but have you never met any Meath supporters from Kells, Moynalty, Oldcastle or Carnaross areas? Trust me, I mix in these areas a lot because my wife and her family are from there and it’s a huge rivalry, to them anyway.

Someone even thought it was enough of a rivalry to setup a Wikipedia page!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavan–Meath_Gaelic_football_rivalry

Somebody above mentioned Monaghan. I’m from the Cavan Meath border myself and I wouldn’t have any huge issue with Monaghan. In recent years, I’d much prefer to beat Fermanagh than Monaghan and would see them as a bigger rival.

yeah theres some amount of Mayo flags out during the last few all irelands that Mayo were in around summerhill, moynalvey,kilcloon,batterstown, kilcock , maynooth areas. seemed every second or third house in some places. i wouldnt think we have a rivalry over that though, sure Meath benefit and continue to benefit from the land commision, Orourke, Omalley, Lyons and Harnans, Mattie Kerrigan , Mick Mellet just some all ireland winners from land commission homesteads.

it would be great to have another wave, but i suppose we are getting them with new houses in dunshoauglin, ratoath , dunboyne etc

Cavan_King wrote: »
    I know you’re from the far side of the county in Ratoath but have you never met any Meath supporters from Kells, Moynalty, Oldcastle or Carnaross areas? Trust me, I mix in these areas a lot because my wife and her family are from there and it’s a huge rivalry, to them anyway.

Someone even thought it was enough of a rivalry to setup a Wikipedia page!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavan–Meath_Gaelic_football_rivalry

Somebody above mentioned Monaghan. I’m from the Cavan Meath border myself and I wouldn’t have any huge issue with Monaghan. In recent years, I’d much prefer to beat Fermanagh than Monaghan and would see them as a bigger rival.
    I'd know a handful from Kells and Oldcastle. All early 30s or younger and none of them really consider Cavan as rivals. And anyone can make a Wikipedia page. The one you linked to was made by a Cork person by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Completely forgot only 200 people are able to attend upcoming championship games - hopefully the stream is of good quality!

Wonder how clubs will decide who gets the tickets!?

https://www.hoganstand.com/Meath/Article/Index/311486

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭paul71

I'd know a handful from Kells and Oldcastle. All early 30s or younger and none of them really consider Cavan as rivals. And anyone can make a Wikipedia page. The one you linked to was made by a Cork person by the looks of it.

He would have been better off making a page about Meath Cork rivalry, it is more recent by 30 to 40 years.

paul71 wrote: »
    He would have been better off making a page about Meath Cork rivalry, it is more recent by 30 to 40 years.
    He did :pac:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork%E2%80%93Meath_Gaelic_football_rivalry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

rrs wrote: »
    Well I doubt you speak for all Meath fans. Not along the border areas. I remember when Cavan beat Meath in 05 in the qualifiiers, there was plenty of bullish Meath in the hill in Clones. Around Oldcastle or Kells it would mean more to beat Cavan I'd say then a County 3 hours west

Spot on. I was brought up on it, the rivalry was always there, a few of us took a trip into Virginia wearing our Meath Jerseys after the 1987 All Ireland.
    Also for anyone that was there, the U21 Semi Final matches in 96 down in Roscommon was as bitter if not the bitterest match for vitriol from Cavan fans, even worse than a couple of lovely games down in a certain part of Wicklow.
    The U21 game opened up a lot of eyes of my friends that day as to the rivalry, which goes back to my fathers time in the 40's and 50's.

Also in 97 it was not just Kells that had the "direction" signs to Croke Park that day, they were all over North Meath.

And as for Mayo and the Land commission and the "blow in's" Hammer Archer, :D that's just another subject that probably will die out with my generation as we grew up with youse, whereas the previous generation to mine there would have been a lot of bitterness.

you see that stuff with galway and mayo immigrants dies out because their kids end up playing for meath and now grandkids the same with the dubs, i often see the kids going around with dublin jerseys then they hit 14 and start on meath dev. squads then bit by bit the meath gear is on them. i know a girl from my club good footballer around 17 mad, true blue dub fan follows them everywhere,went up on the coach to leinster final this year she had the dublin jersey with meath tracksuit bottoms, said she didnt even cop it but didnt mind if meath won anyway. the same with dublin parents once the kids play with meath the dublin fan in them gets watered down a lot. dublin being very succesful makes it easy to not be as bothered anymore it seems, kind of seems that dublin becomes like supporting liverpool or united , and they like seeing meath win as well if playing anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

The people you know from Kells and Oldcastle must move in different circles than the football people I know from there. The people of Kells felt strongly enough to throw stones at cars and wave us home in 97!

In Oldcastle, there’s great rivalry in the secondary school between the two counties as a number of kids from border areas like Mountnugent and Munterconnaught go there. David Givney played schools football for Oldcastle for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭paul71

Meath Rivals of last 40 years in order (period of time I have been going to inter county games).

1. Dublin
    2. Kildare
    3. Cork
    4. Mayo
    5/6. Westmeath/Louth
    7. Laois
    8. Tyrone
    9. Wexford
    10. Galway
    11. Kerry

Cavan might somewhere about 25 after teams we have played in important games like All-Ireland semi finals or Finals like Roscommon/Down/Donegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Championship kicks off in two days and here we are still debating rivals on the inter county scene. :confused:

Based on nothing more than match reports and listening to We Are Meath I'm predicting the following.

SFC: Dunboyne
    IFC: Trim
    JFC: Carnaross.

Really looking forward to it all kicking off, it's just a pity that with the restricted numbers neutrals are effectively off the agenda for attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

rpurfield wrote: »
    Championship kicks off in two days and here we are still debating rivals on the inter county scene. :confused:

Based on nothing more than match reports and listening to We Are Meath I'm predicting the following.

SFC: Dunboyne
    JFC: Carnaross.

Really looking forward to it all kicking off, it's just a pity that with the restricted numbers neutrals are effectively off the agenda for attending.

Not even neutrals RP, 55 tickets hardly covers more than the usual club head honchos! How are other clubs doing ticket allocation, I have heard effectively zero communication from my club on the matter?

As for predictions:

Senior - Ratoath
    Inter - Trim
    Junior - St. Vincents

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Obrieski wrote: »
    Not even neutrals RP, 55 tickets hardly covers more than the usual club head honchos! How are other clubs doing ticket allocation, I have heard effectively zero communication from my club on the matter?

As for predictions:

Senior - Ratoath
    Inter - Trim
    Junior - St. Vincents

Ashbourne doing a draw tonight for club members who submitted their interest in a ticket for DonAsh v Navan in Skryne on Friday night. Feels strange waiting to see if I can go to a club match tbh. Might have to spend a Friday night with the missus :eek:

Obrieski wrote: »

As for predictions:

Senior - Ratoath
    Inter - Trim
    Junior - St. Vincents

I've heard nothing from our club on tickets either, I just seen an article saying if you've a club plus season ticket you can use it for your clubs game only but I'm not sure if that's part of the 55. No matter what way you cut it people will miss out, especially in bigger clubs. I'd love to be going along to our first round game on Saturday but I wouldn't say I'm in the top 55 for a ticket! I seen some clubs taking expressions of interest through their social media, ie ring the chairperson or whatever. Others are doing names from a hat. It's no win really.

This is the article: https://meath.gaa.ie/tickets-club-championship/

I think that the capacity is due to be increased to 500 from August 10th onwards so hopefully it's just for the first rounds of the football and hurling.

My predictions are:
    SFC: Simonstown
    JFC: Ballivor

Interesting to see how the relegated teams get on in Intermediate. I think Rathkenny would be the best placed to make the jump straight back up. How are expectations in Stamullen, rpurfield?

I think that the capacity is due to be increased to 500 from August 10th onwards so hopefully it's just for the first rounds of the football and hurling.

My predictions are:
    SFC: Simonstown
    JFC: Ballivor

Interesting to see how the relegated teams get on in Intermediate. I think Rathkenny would be the best placed to make the jump straight back up. How are expectations in Stamullen, rpurfield?

Low enough I think to be honest. We're probably a bit like Blackhall when they came down, a couple of bad years has really lowered interest and expecations. Having said that I was down training with the young lad Wednesday and the lads were on the pitch after us and the numbers were good. I think we'll be competitive but we aren't going close to winning it. I'd agree with Rathkenny, if any one of the teams are going to bounce back it'll be them. I'm still sticking with my pick above though:D

Big game Sunday for the 2 most popular picks for the IFC. Whoever wins between Trim and Rathkenny will have one foot in the knockout stages and have all but eliminated their nearest competitor.

A draw would be interesting. Not only would they need to win their remaining 2 games but they'd have to try and run up as big a score as possible to ensure they advance on score difference.

Pat's seem to be competitive in the underage leagues and relatively high up whereas BHG are generally getting hammered in the lower divisions underage. I'd say ye will be there or thereabouts in the not too distant future.

https://meath.gaa.ie/meathgaatv/
    Replacing the app, games are being streamed on Meath GAA TV. They're streaming Ratoath v Nobber this evening, Longwood v Meath Hill and Na Fianna v Seneschalstown tomorrow and Trim v Rathkenny on Sunday.
    Unfortunately they're not doing an annual pass this year but it's €6 for a day pass and €12 to watch all 4 games this weekend.

Results
    SFC
    Summerhill 0-17 Moynalvey 1-12
    Donaghmore/Ashbourne 1-12 Navan O'Mahony's 0-12
    Ratoath 5-21, Nobber 2-6

IFC
    Walterstown 0-16 Moylagh 1-11
    Bective 2-10 Drumbaragh 2-7

JFC
    Carnaross 2-18 Clonard 0-8
    Ballivor 3-16 Boardsmill 2-14

Bit of a harsh scoreline for Nobber but it was a baptism of fire for them. They led for the first 15 minutes but then Ratoath just cut through them at will. Nonetheless, Jordan Morris is an excellent player. Think he ended up with 2-4.

• Advertisement

boardsmill led ballivor 1-10 to 1-4 at half time.

Advertisement