Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

yea I cant be listening to this 'aw nearly did it lads, hard luck' crap...We didn't though, and we should have. Some of the wides (WITH the wind) were just atrocious. Yes when we pushed up it was better, but the instinct to kill that game was not in the lads. The momentum that was with us, beating Mayo, in our home ground, with a gale wind, badly badly needing a win, and then no, we lose it in the end...There is also something about McEntees losing attitude that I just dont like (Im not trying to do blame game here but have always noticed it) Its hard to explain in words but its never really his problem or something. Im not sure... I know there are lots of injuries etc, but, we need a free taker and we need a goalie, now. Also we need to spend alot lot ,more time in training doing the basic football skills, like shooting......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭rrs

McEntee seems a very intense type. He has reacted badly to defeats in the past.
    Not sure what he's like to play under, maybe more pressure for players to perform?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rpurfield

It was massively frustrating yesterday. We really are missing some good quality forwards and it shows. Genuinely don't know where a league win is going to come from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

rpurfield wrote: »
    It was massively frustrating yesterday. We really are missing some good quality forwards and it shows. Genuinely don't know where a league win is going to come from now.

Galway is our best hope, but that's not saying much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Galway is our best hope, but that's not saying much.

The same Galway that have added free flowing attacking football to their solid defence? That beat Donegal in Letterkenny and should have beaten Kerry in Tralee only for a black card at the end, seeing them cruelly lose by a point. Unfortunately for Meath, I just dont see it and as much as I hope it doesnt happen, it wouldnt surprise me if they finished on 0 points

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    The same Galway that have added free flowing attacking football to their solid defence? That beat Donegal in Letterkenny and should have beaten Kerry in Tralee only for a black card at the end, seeing them cruelly lose by a point. Unfortunately for Meath, I just dont see it and as much as I hope it doesnt happen, it wouldnt surprise me if they finished on 0 points

Well that was my point; Galway are our best chance but that's not much of a chance at all.

At the back end of last year I'd have thought the home games and also Monaghan away were all really really good chances to put points up. Going on current form I'm miles wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

At the back end of last year I'd have thought the home games and also Monaghan away were all really really good chances to put points up. Going on current form I'm miles wrong.

I said last year that the only game I could see Meath winning was Monaghan but unfortunately for ye they've improved since last year and have a new manager bounce under Banty.

Re the injuries, its a problem we're having in Cavan at the minute but the level being expected to try and catch the top teams is madness. Cavan trained 26 days in November!

Teams like Meath and Cavan are now trying to catch the Tyrones and Donegals of this world in the conditioning stakes but players are breaking down because it's too much, too soon.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    I said last year that the only game I could see Meath winning was Monaghan but unfortunately for ye they've improved since last year and have a new manager bounce under Banty.

Re the injuries, its a problem we're having in Cavan at the minute but the level being expected to try and catch the top teams is madness. Cavan trained 26 days in November!

Teams like Meath and Cavan are now trying to catch the Tyrones and Donegals of this world in the conditioning stakes but players are breaking down because it's too much, too soon.

You can't build conditioning in a couple of seasons. You could see it with both teams on Sunday in Navan. The experienced Mayo lads were noticeably bigger than their own newer lads and a lot of the Meath team. I'd agree trying to rush it creates massive injury problems.

Really good looking U20 team on paper for Saturday, interesting to see Shane Walsh playing. https://twitter.com/MeathGAA/status/1228076381646405634

• Advertisement

You can't build conditioning in a couple of seasons. You could see it with both teams on Sunday in Navan. The experienced Mayo lads were noticeably bigger than their own newer lads and a lot of the Meath team. I'd agree trying to rush it creates massive injury problems.

That's the challenge counties like Cavan and Meath face now though. There's a visible gap to the top five or six teams in the country. Those are the teams staying in Division 1 and is why the likes of Cavan and Roscommon are constantly up and down. All ya can do is grin and bear it for a few years and try to catch up but that can't be done in a season or two. Last year I remember going to Cavan games in Division 1 and Meath games in Division 2 and the difference in standard was huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I can understand the likes of Dublin having superior S&C then all teams but how do the likes of Donegal and Tyrone even Galway have years of superior fitness levels then say Meath and Kildare? It’s not as if the facilities and access to coaches are any better? Is it just purely down to being exposed to Division 1 football year after year and they know the fitness levels required?

Galway were down with us in Division 2 for 6 years or so, and it was always a toss up between us when we played. According to the "You can't survive in Division 1 unless you have already been there for several years" logic they should have been spat back out of Div. 1 immediately, but they topped the table in their first year up.

Galway were down with us in Division 2 for 6 years or so, and it was always a toss up between us when we played. According to the "You can't survive in Division 1 unless you have already been there for several years" logic they should have been spat back out of Div. 1 immediately, but they topped the table in their first year up.

Meath moved up to Division 2 from the 2014 season. Galway left it for the 2018 season so they had 4 seasons - 14, 15, 16 and 17.

They had been a Division 2 team for a number of years and built on that by introducing some fantastic young players. They were actually probably better enabled by narrowly missing out on Division 2 promotion in 2016 which meant they were better equipped in 2017 for the test ahead.

I also don't think they've lost any players like other counties have.

I do accept your point but I think its in the last two to three years that the gap is really becoming pronounced.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Meath moved up to Division 2 from the 2014 season. Galway left it for the 2018 season so they had 4 seasons - 14, 15, 16 and 17.

They had been a Division 2 team for a number of years and built on that by introducing some fantastic young players. They were actually probably better enabled by narrowly missing out on Division 2 promotion in 2016 which meant they were better equipped in 2017 for the test ahead.

I also don't think they've lost any players like other counties have.

I do accept your point but I think its in the last two to three years that the gap is really becoming pronounced.

We played them in 2012 too, and lost by a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

We played them in 2012 too, and lost by a point.

Meath actually have brillant record v Galway in Navan . Galway havent beaten Meath in Navan in 40 years in league or championship. In our last 5 meetings Meath have only once in the last games between both counties. Since 2001, we played twice in championship we won both. We had great wins over Galway in the league in 2014 and 2017 and a draw in 2016 in Salthill. The last time played we won.
    But the record in Navan is excellent v Galway, they havent won there in 40 years with 8 straight wins in Navan for Meath v Galway in championship and league. It would be great to continue that record in few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Great interview with Mickey Burke on the podcast from the We Are Meath lads. Interesting to hear the passion he has, be no harm getting him involved with the county board in with the underage set ups on nutrition, gym and the work ethic required to be a top inter county player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Just seen there that Shane Walsh is down to play for the u20s today and the seniors tomorrow. Surely there should be a ruling that lads can only play in one or the other? Doesn’t happen in soccer or rugby.

Chances are the 15 named for tomorrow won't be the 15 that starts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Hammered by a dublin team we beat 3 years ago. This is why we will never beat Dublin at senior ever again. The gap will only get wider. Dublin if they win the final will have 9 of the last 11 titles at this grade. Unstoppable juggernaut that should actual get better every passing decade.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Awful day for both teams at opposite ends of the country. Sounds like the same old problems of going too long without scoring in Killarney against a Kerry side that were there for the taking. 8 points down before our first score after over 15 minutes. Then managed 1-5 in less than 10 minutes only to go the last 10 minutes of the half without scoring. Similar story in the second half.

Hurlers were already on the ropes against Antrim before getting two red cards before half time. Just seems like the opportunity that presented itself to make the step up to the next level after the Christy Ring win over Antrim has been missed.

The hammering of the U20s on Saturday really set the tone for the rest of the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Awful day for both teams at opposite ends of the country. Sounds like the same old problems of going too long without scoring in Killarney against a Kerry side that were there for the taking. 8 points down before our first score after over 15 minutes. Then managed 1-5 in less than 10 minutes only to go the last 10 minutes of the half without scoring. Similar story in the second half.

Hurlers were already on the ropes against Antrim before getting two red cards before half time. Just seems like the opportunity that presented itself to make the step up to the next level after the Christy Ring win over Antrim has been missed.

The hammering of the U20s on Saturday really set the tone for the rest of the weekend.

Cillian O'Sullivan early black card was a bit of a cause for the first 15 minutes, but we probably should have battened down the hatches at this point and brought everyone into defence for that spell. Showed glimpses though but still just not good enough unfortunately.

I've always felt we overperformed in hurling for a few glorious months in 2016/17 and have settled back into a more normal level since. We've put a bit of daylight between ourselves and the likes of Down/Kildare/Wicklow, but since beating Antrim in 2016 and Kerry in 2017 we've had no signs of making a step up. It's great to have won the CR so handily last year but 10 years ago there were 12 teams above the CR, now there's 18, so the value of that competition is definitely devalued. We're on course for a third consecutive 4th place finish in Div 2A. Only Cavan hurlers finishing 2nd bottom of 3B can match this consistency.

I'm not sure where the improvement is supposed to come from either. It's not like we've a thriving underage system producing better players ready to push our seniors on.

12 players missing, 11 injured. Many of them are back on the field, running even kicking ball. So we should see over the next month or two players coming back. Lavin, Harnan, Walsh, S McEntee are not far away from being back. They will need games to get match fit and hopefully we dont have more injuries. But by June July, Leinster semi final or big qualifier matchs, the most important part of the season, we could have closer to first 15. One thing the league has blooded playersa nd brought players on eg Toner, Brennan, Clarke, B Conlon, O Reilly, Jones, O Brien.

Heres close first 15 and match day panel. Our panel looks stronger this year then last year. x against players missing yesterday 7.

1 Andy Colgan x
    2 Seamus Lavin x
    3 Conor McGill
    4 Shane Gallagher x
    5 Padraig Harnan x
    6 Ronan Ryan
    7 Donal Keoghan
    8 Ronan Jones x
    9 Brian Menton
    10 James McEntee
    11 Bryan McMahon
    12 Cillian Sullivan
    13 Donal Lenihan
    14 Shane Walsh x
    15 Mickey Newman x

16 Marcus Brennan
    17 David Toner
    18 Robin Clarke
    19 Gavin McCoy
    18 Brian Conlon
    19 Paddy kennelly
    20 Joey Wallace
    21 Eamon Wallace
    22 Thomas O Reilly
    23 James Conlon
    24 Ethan Devine
    25 Dara Campion
    26 Shane McEntee

Thats a match day panel heres players I have left off Ross Ryan, Sean Toibin, Barry Dardis Oisin O Brien, Matthew Costello, Jack Connor. All have played in the league. Our panel when we get players is substantially stronger this year.

When kerry went into big lead we were down to 14 men. And also were down to 14 men at end of first half. Both two of kerrys best patchs in the match. But with 7 or 8 first team players missing playing the second best team in the country in their backyard. Meath really took the game to kerry. Some dreadful decisions v Meath. Sullivan no way was sinbin and question marks over keoghans. But overall improved performance v All Ireland finalist. Plenty of determination and good football. 4 goals we have scored in last two matchs were excellent. 2- 13 is an improvement. We went 60 mins v kerry and Mayo in summer lost by 10 and 9. We went full 70 mins and injury time v kerry and Mayo and lost by 3 and 1 point and should have beaten Mayo and could have sneeked a draw v kerry with 12 players missing most of them our best players. Yes in terms of point gained and staying div 1 not a great league. But in terms of adding strenght to the panel and the teams overall development its going right direction. I would be confident if we go down we can straight back up as we should be stronger next this Meath team and should be peaking next year as Sullivans, McEntees, Harnans, lavins hit 26.
    If we could get a win v Galway or Monghan and good performance v Dubs while we did not achieve our aim staying div 1. The teams development is going in right direction.

Under 20s a massive disappointment made up of two minor leinster winning eams. Many of the players have beaten Dublin 3 times at underage. Shane Walsh, Cian McBride and Sean Ryan were big loses. But still we shouldnt have been hammered. Appointing young inexperienced managers like Callaghan, Farrell and Robinson has not worked. When we play Dubs at under 20 there strenght and conditioning is better as well as tackling and well organised and better drilled more tactically aware. We didnt get management team together til near Dec, team stsrted training in Jan. Dublin started in Oct. Team had no strenght and conditioning coach while Dublin have best in the country in this area. And Dublin went away for a weekend camp. When Farrell wanted to do stuff like this last year he said county board did not have the finances. We need to improve in all areas. We have talent coming through but we so badly need to win titles at under 20. No victory over Dublin at under 20/21 since 2011. No leinster title at under 20/21 in 19 years and 1 leinster final appearance at under20/21 level in 19 years is shocking. We won 5 under 21 leinster titles and won 1 All Ireland under 21 title in the 90s and won 4 senior leinster titles and 2 All Irelands senior titles in the 90s. We also won 2 All Ireland minor titles in the 90s. Its all linked. Dublin have won 5 under 21 titles since 2000. They never won 1 before 2000. Its all linked

I though Sunday was very encouraging. Real fight in the team. Down to 14 men and losing by 8 after 12 mins against the second best team in the country at home. Any time in last ten years we would thrown in the towel. But we scored 1 -3 and stormed back into game. Then lost keoghan down to 14 men again for 10 mins kerry hit 5 point lead. And again Meath come back at kerry. Kerry go ahead again with couple of points. And again Meath come back at kerry. Scoring a goal. And in last ten mins and injury time kerry were hanging on as they went down to 13 men and kerry goalie had to keep Meath at bay with two great saves. All with 12 players missing, 11 injured. Yes we are making mistakes but there was allot of good to take from Sunday.

I heard Harnan will be back Sunday and Walsh could start. We keep getting these players back like them and Lavin. Jones will be back full time in March, all this will really bring us on. Galway winning by 19 points, clearly confidence will be high in Galway. But Mayo , Galway and Monaghan were games we targetted at start of the league and two of them are still to play for. If Walsh starts and Harnan can play some game time, Lenihan will be gettng more match time, I think we can surprise Galway. Navan is a real bogey ground for them. They have lost their last 8 match in Navan v Meath, havent beaten us there in 40 years. I think this will be much tighter then people think and there will be point or two between the teams. The last time we played them in Navan they were hot favs we won. I give us a real chance on Sunday. If we play like we did on Sunday and didnt get sinbins and Walsh is playing we have a great chance. We lacked a target man on Sunday. Walsh is best full forward we have. He is young but he offers a fulcrum.to the attack.

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Under 20s a massive disappointment made up of two minor leinster winning eams. Many of the players have beaten Dublin 3 times at underage. Shane Walsh, Cian McBride and Sean Ryan were big loses. But still we shouldnt have been hammered. Appointing young inexperienced managers like Callaghan, Farrell and Robinson has not worked. When we play Dubs at under 20 there strenght and conditioning is better as well as tackling and well organised and better drilled more tactically aware. We didnt get management team together til near Dec, team stsrted training in Jan. Dublin started in Oct. Team had no strenght and conditioning coach while Dublin have best in the country in this area. And Dublin went away for a weekend camp. When Farrell wanted to do stuff like this last year he said county board did not have the finances. We need to improve in all areas. We have talent coming through but we so badly need to win titles at under 20. No victory over Dublin at under 20/21 since 2011. No leinster title at under 20/21 in 19 years and 1 leinster final appearance at under20/21 level in 19 years is shocking. We won 5 under 21 leinster titles and won 1 All Ireland under 21 title in the 90s and won 4 senior leinster titles and 2 All Irelands senior titles in the 90s. We also won 2 All Ireland minor titles in the 90s. Its all linked. Dublin have won 5 under 21 titles since 2000. They never won 1 before 2000. Its all linked

Very good points Sonny. Maybe we could poach Tim O'Leary and his big bucks from Mayo now he's falling out with the county board there!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Ugh sickening.
    5 minutes either side of half time absolutely killed us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Yes those 4 points before half time were sickening and the misplaced pass by Conlon was a distaster...

I felt sorry for the team tho..the way they dug in after that was (to me) deserving of a draw....them is the margins tho:mad:

Advertisement