Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

sc86 wrote: »
    Makes some farce of club championship when county players already unavailable for club training 4 months out from leinster championship.
    Club gets punished for having top players.
    Are these guys brain dead ? No back door this year, pointless stuff.

How are players unavailable for club training?
    There’s not meant to be any county training until mid September at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rpurfield

sc86 wrote: »
    Makes some farce of club championship when county players already unavailable for club training 4 months out from leinster championship.
    Club gets punished for having top players.
    Are these guys brain dead ? No back door this year, pointless stuff.

Seen stuff on Twitter about this, madness.

The A leagues have been re-drawn into groups within divisions too. No promotion or relegation this year. Pity the NFL isn't the same :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Got a link to the tweet(s)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Got a link to the tweet(s)?

Saw this one a day or 2 ago. I've seen the Meath team training on a pitch in Milltown in Ashbourne (which i thought was an open secret for county teams) while I've been doing my own work. Not sure why if they're banned from their clubs or not, dont see why they would be.

https://twitter.com/birdie8hill/status/1277220879806730242?s=19

dobman88 wrote: »
    Saw this one a day or 2 ago. I've seen the Meath team training on a pitch in Milltown in Ashbourne (which i thought was an open secret for county teams) while I've been doing my own work. Not sure why if they're banned from their clubs or not, dont see why they would be.

https://twitter.com/birdie8hill/status/1277220879806730242?s=19

Yeah that's the one I seen as well. I think if they weren't training in a public park they would've been the only ones not. I know there's been at least half a dozen club teams using Gormanston College pitches over the road from me.

• Advertisement

That's not on if that is the case. No doubt they're not alone among intercounty teams. Would I be correct that they'd have no insurance in place so if a player was seriously injured, they'd be screwed.

For the championship, it's basically a case of when we get knocked out by Dublin. We really should be beating either Wexford or Wicklow regardless. Then we're gone if we're drawn against Dublin in the semi final. No amount of training's going to change that.

That's not on if that is the case. No doubt they're not alone among intercounty teams. Would I be correct that they'd have no insurance in place so if a player was seriously injured, they'd be screwed.

For the championship, it's basically a case of when we get knocked out by Dublin. We really should be beating either Wexford or Wicklow regardless. Then we're gone if we're drawn against Dublin in the semi final. No amount of training's going to change that.

Avoiding the Dubs till the Leinster final based on the draw. But you're point still stands.

rpurfield wrote: »
    Avoiding the Dubs till the Leinster final based on the draw. But you're point still stands.
    I think they've changed the format so that there will be a separate semi final draw made after the quarter finals are completed. So no one knows which side of the draw Dublin are on. At least that was the case pre-Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

I think they've changed the format so that there will be a separate semi final draw made after the quarter finals are completed. So no one knows which side of the draw Dublin are on. At least that was the case pre-Covid-19.

As far as I have seen, we play Kildare (presuming we both win our respective quarters first) in the semi final. Dublin the other side of the draw.

It's a pity the GAA just didn't rip it up and go with a complete open draw, just for the one year with no provincials. It's all change anyway, why not give it an extra bit of spice for 2020. Westmeath play Dublin in the first round, no back door for them...goodbye and good luck. Year over!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I thought this too, but the Leinster website has a new draw up with us on the opposite side to Dublin.

• Advertisement

Ah I see that now. Somehow missed that.
    Regardless, the entire Leinster championship is even more pointless this season given that there's no backdoor.

They made the draw on Friday, for Leinster football and the two hurling championships. In something I haven't seen in years the Limerick v Clare Munster QF in hurling is also going to be the NHL final

Obrieski wrote: »
    As far as I have seen, we play Kildare (presuming we both win our respective quarters first) in the semi final. Dublin the other side of the draw.

It's a pity the GAA just didn't rip it up and go with a complete open draw, just for the one year with no provincials. It's all change anyway, why not give it an extra bit of spice for 2020. Westmeath play Dublin in the first round, no back door for them...goodbye and good luck. Year over!

Completely agree with you re the open draw. Cavan play Monaghan in the first round that we played last year and have played 5/6 times in championship in the last decade. If we win that, it’s a game against potentially Armagh that we’ve also played numerous times.

An open draw would have introduced a bit of novelty to proceedings with some potentially unusual ties.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Completely agree with you re the open draw. Cavan play Monaghan in the first round that we played last year and have played 5/6 times in championship in the last decade. If we win that, it’s a game against potentially Armagh that we’ve also played numerous times.

An open draw would have introduced a bit of novelty to proceedings with some potentially unusual ties.

Such as Meath vs Cavan!!
    They could sell out Croke Park at full capacity, twice over, for that one!! :cool:

I have to agree, I think it's a missed chance to do something really novel. Am I right in saying 05 was the last time Meath and Cavan met in Championship? I also remember Cavan playing Longford in a qualifier before Meath and Louth in 2011 and I'm pretty sure it was the first time they met in championship. Would've been great to see some of them novel type of pairings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yeah i think that meath v cavan game in 2005 (awful excuse of a game) was first since 1952, so they have only met once in 68 years in a championship game, i think they mey in84 in centenary cup. thats why theres no rivalry with cavan even though we border them. compared to the rivalry we have with kildare.

Such as Meath vs Cavan!!
    They could sell out Croke Park at full capacity, twice over, for that one!! :cool:

maybe in 1940s .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Dickie10 wrote: »
    yeah i think that meath v cavan game in 2005 (awful excuse of a game) was first since 1952, so they have only met once in 68 years in a championship game, i think they mey in84 in centenary cup. thats why theres no rivalry with cavan even though we border them. compared to the rivalry we have with kildare.

I'm too young to remember the 1940s and 50s so always found it strange when a few people would claim we have a modern rivalry with Cavan... I know some older generations might remember those days and feel it still applies but as far as I'm concerned, if you have to tell a fan that a team is their rival, that team is not a rival.

never heard of a rivalry with Cavan to be honest sure we never play them bar an odd league game. i guess there would have been one in 40s and 50s. some counties border each other but because their in differrent provinces they dont have any common ground or come across each other ever in games or even every day life, thats what breeds rivalry , like most meath people work in dublin and dublin people live in meath, rivalry huge in football too. With kildare , meath are always neck and neck in standard of football the last 25 years so always play each other in league and championship, plus Meath and Kildare are very alike in culture/interests and a lot of business and work goes on between the two counties its gone so far as you actually dont hear one county mentioned without the other now in everyday speak in the media, you hear phrases like " counties like Meath and Kildare" or " ......the likes of in Meath and Kildare" etc.

theres a few counties that are always joined at the hip like that because of shared culture and shared geography, Cavan/Monaghon, Galway/Mayo, Cork/Kerry, Limerick/Tipperary, Laois/Offaly, Sligo/Lietrim in these counties there a huge amount of shared culture and everyday interaction.

Like tipperary-Offaly wouldnt have that, Wicklow/Kildare the same, Cavan/Meath is like that even though they border very little interaction which breeds no rivalry

I always had the impression that the Meath Cavan rivalry was something that is localised around the border. Like Dickie says playing each other is rare enough but I'd understand it across the border. Like where I am it's the Dubs that's the big one not just over football but being on the border with them. Living beside them, working with them and going to school etc gives an extra edge to things.

• Advertisement

like i say geographically there are some counties and you dont even imagine them bordering. theresa few small examples, meath/monaghon, galway/tipperary, laois/kilkenny

Anyone go to a game last night? I didn't myself because the young lad had a match himself. Just wondering how the 200 worked etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

If Meath met Cavan in say an All-Ireland quater-final, it would be a very bitter affair. Same as with Louth. Moreso than with Kildare or even Offaly, regardless of who considers it a rivalry anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

If Meath met Cavan in say an All-Ireland quater-final, it would be a very bitter affair. Same as with Louth. Moreso than with Kildare or even Offaly, regardless of who considers it a rivalry anymore

Fair point. The Dublin Meath thing has been dead for years. Its a North Meath thing though? Like Kildare and Laois, I dont really get it tbh. It's always been Meath v Kildare for me. And we are at the same level pretty much for the best part of 2 decades now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Fair point. The Dublin Meath thing has been dead for years. Its a North Meath thing though? Like Kildare and Laois, I dont really get it tbh. It's always been Meath v Kildare for me. And we are at the same level pretty much for the best part of 2 decades now.

I'm from south Meath myself so don't really care for Cavan. But there definitely is an undercurrent of bitterness towards Meath from themselves and Louth, that you don't get with Kildare or even Dublin.

rpurfield wrote: »
    Anyone go to a game last night? I didn't myself because the young lad had a match himself. Just wondering how the 200 worked etc

Was in Ratoath myself. Complete mismatch on the main pitch v Syddan.
    Hard to gauge numbers but was just good to have matches back again.

Clan na nGael beat a very youthful Ratoath seconds convincingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭paul71

I'm from south Meath myself so don't really care for Cavan. But there definitely is an undercurrent of bitterness towards Meath from themselves and Louth, that you don't get with Kildare or even Dublin.

Thats a direct result of the relative standings. Meath people no longer really see either Louth or Cavan as rivals, because neither have been anything other than a sporadic threat since the 1950s even at our current low, they'd like to be rivals but don't merit it, Kildare do merit it.

Unfortunately the converse applies to us against Dublin, we would like to think of ourselves as rivals but we are not good enough.

paul71 wrote: »
    Thats a direct result of the relative standings. Meath people no longer really see either Louth or Cavan as rivals, because neither have been anything other than a sporadic threat since the 1950s even at our current low, they'd like to be rivals but don't merit it, Kildare do merit it.

Unfortunately the converse applies to us against Dublin, we would like to think of ourselves as rivals but we are not good enough.

😂

I think you’ll find Cavan have a superior record to Meath in league games over the last decade. We’ve played Meath a lot and I only remember one loss in Navan in 2015.

We beat ye in 13, 16 and 18. Of note, only one of those games (18) was in Cavan. In both 16 and 18, we were promoted ahead of Meath so not sure how you don’t see us as rivals.

Other than Roscommon, we have probably played Meath more than anyone in the League over the past decade as we’ve regularly been in the same division.

I can only imagine a lot of the posters here are not from the North side of the county as there is a real bitterness between Cavan and Meath in the border areas.

We did end Sean Boylan’s reign in 05 too!

Was in Ratoath myself. Complete mismatch on the main pitch v Syddan.
    Hard to gauge numbers but was just good to have matches back again.

Clan na nGael beat a very youthful Ratoath seconds convincingly.

I noticed the Summerhill second team took a bit of a tanking too, I forget who they played but they only scored 4 points. I would imagine both teams being out on the same day is going to drain squads, in Summerhill's case I'd also take a punt that Kiltale hurling today would've had an impact on their squad. I know it's unique circumstances but staggering games will need to be looked at going forward. I know in Dublin the leagues are (or were a couple of years ago) staggered for start times on the same day with the higher divisions off first. At least that would mean if you didn't get on for the first team you had a chance to go and play for the second team.

• Advertisement

��

I think you’ll find Cavan have a superior record to Meath in league games over the last decade. We’ve played Meath a lot and I only remember one loss in Navan in 2015.

We beat ye in 13, 16 and 18. Of note, only one of those games (18) was in Cavan. In both 16 and 18, we were promoted ahead of Meath so not sure how you don’t see us as rivals.

Other than Roscommon, we have probably played Meath more than anyone in the League over the past decade as we’ve regularly been in the same division.

I can only imagine a lot of the posters here are not from the North side of the county as there is a real bitterness between Cavan and Meath in the border areas.

We did end Sean Boylan’s reign in 05 too!

i suppose meath fans majority of the population is on kildare and dublin and maybe westmeath borders so Cavan dosent register anymore than a game with Rosscommon or Laois. I would think really meaths big rivals are Kildare the last 25 years, they usually bring huge crowds out, but it is to do with shred cultures etc, there both counties that interact with each other a lot in work and business, like over half the people going to college in meath would go to maynooth university, people working in HP and Intel as well as shred intrests in horseracing so lots of kildare GAA people would be down at Navan and Fairyhouse and Meath people would go up to Naas, Curragh and Punchestown.

Same when down at Galway for races meath and kildare heads would make up a huge amount of the attendance. there just two very similar counties, they did meet in quater final in 2010, kildare won but cant remember it as overly bitter, for such rivals its fairly unbitter. you would imagine Westmeath would be very bitter as they were under Meaths thumb forever since up to 2015, but I find them not that bitter really, i would be very near border and they enjoyed the win big time in 2015 but were sporting about it too. i think its the fact the border area between meath and westmeath is predominantly hurling first area, where westmeath wuld be slightly ahead so there no inferiority complex to Meath. im not sure whats up with Louth they seemed to always have a chip on their shoulder towards Meath, but I would think Cavan would always rather beat Monaghon before Meath.

Advertisement