Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

iDave wrote: »
    Fergal Lynch tweeted McMahon will miss rest of season with a shoulder injury.

Woopdeefeckindoo.
    There goes Ratoath's chances at winning the SFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

That's a pity now I like Bryan now I think he has a bit about him as a forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Seeing how lopsided the junior A and B championships have become (with 20 teams in one and 16 in the other, and uneven groups in both) I had a look at the official Meath competitions guide this year.

I noticed though that we seem to have a unique tiebreaker here for when 3 teams finish level on points. It seems to be some sort of three way head to head.
    Where teams finish with equal points for qualification for concluding stages the tie shall be decided as follows;

(i) Where three teams are involved - the outcome of the meetings of the three teams in their previous games in the competition. If three teams finish level on points for three places and one team has beaten the other two teams that team qualifies in first place and the other places are determined by the specified order. If there are two positions and one team has beaten the other two teams that team qualifies and the second place is determined by the specified order. If there is one position and one team has beaten the other two teams that team qualifies.

Can't say I've ever seen this system anywhere, generally it's just score difference. In theory it means that if 3 teams finish level on points, one could go through despite to having a vastly inferior score difference to the other 2. It vaguely resembles the mini league you'd see in a tiebreaker in international soccer (or La Liga), but instead of a table it's just "who beat who".

And if you were wondering, I got no answer about the junior championships. The competition guides haven't been updated since the mess the county board made trying to forcibly relegate some of the second teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Defensive strategy, plant 6 or 7 players who tackle nobody, across our 45 yard line as sligo attack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

ISIS will show that match to their hostages

• Advertisement

A win is a win i suppose, pressed the kick out midway through 2nd half, won some possession, won some frees, pointed the frees and won the game

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Oh God, Paddy O'Rourke though
    God....

Christ how did Sligo miss that chance at the end??? That's our first qualifier win since 2011 :eek:
    While it sounds like Mayo and Donegal weren't convincing, I can't see us having enough to beat either if we draw them. Can't see us beating Clare as easily as the league game.

A win that feels like a defeat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

A win that feels like a defeat

thats the type of win that can kickstart a championship for a team , they played well for long parts against mayo in castlebar so there not that bad

personally i hope we dont draw ye , and talking to a few clare supporters today in laois they all said the same , that defeat in the league was our biggest in years , i was impressed with the pace meath operated at that day dont know what has gone wrong since , the qualifiers is the place to build up consistency which is the only thing holding ye back at the moment in my opinion ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Jesus that was hard to watch this evening. I know it's our first win in the qualifiers since 2011 but surely we should have been able to handle that Sligo side with a bit more to spare. Especially considering it was in Navan.
    It's very hard to see how the current game plan can lead to major success. When we lose possession 13 of our outfield players retreat to our own 45 and let the opposition have as much time on the ball as they want. When they choose to advance we seemingly step aside and allow them straight through the middle every time. Once they hit the full back line we begin to frantically tackle and look like we could give away 5 penalties some day. If we turn over possession we have opted for the little used tactic of breaking at snails pace and only allowing ourselves 2 forward passes before the player in possession must do a 180 and pass to an open man 10 yards behind him. While this is happening the players not in possession try to lure their markers in to a trance by running in a series of never ending circles that some how always end up with them in a position where it is impossible to receive the ball.
    Then we have the lone ranger inside to oppositions 45. No matter what is happening he has been instructed to do shuttle runs from left to right until the ball is kicked in to him at which point he will make a darting diagonal run in the opposite direction.
    And god forbid we get a kickout! Then we're really in trouble

We haven't scored a championship goal since playing Derry last July, and the last goal before that was Bryan McMahon vs. Westmeath in June 2015!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Felexicon wrote: »
    Jesus that was hard to watch this evening. I know it's our first win in the qualifiers since 2011 but surely we should have been able to handle that Sligo side with a bit more to spare. Especially considering it was in Navan.
    It's very hard to see how the current game plan can lead to major success. When we lose possession 13 of our outfield players retreat to our own 45 and let the opposition have as much time on the ball as they want. When they choose to advance we seemingly step aside and allow them straight through the middle every time. Once they hit the full back line we begin to frantically tackle and look like we could give away 5 penalties some day. If we turn over possession we have opted for the little used tactic of breaking at snails pace and only allowing ourselves 2 forward passes before the player in possession must do a 180 and pass to an open man 10 yards behind him. While this is happening the players not in possession try to lure their markers in to a trance by running in a series of never ending circles that some how always end up with them in a position where it is impossible to receive the ball.
    Then we have the lone ranger inside to oppositions 45. No matter what is happening he has been instructed to do shuttle runs from left to right until the ball is kicked in to him at which point he will make a darting diagonal run in the opposite direction.

If ever a post summed up my opinion perfectly, then this is it. Awful stuff. But a win is a win I suppose.

Felexicon wrote: »

Iv'e been posting similar to this since mick o'dowd was in charge and it seems to have carried over under the new management set up, we seemed to change during the league for the galway game onwards when we left more forwards up field and attacked more, but now its back to defend deep and break again, last night was the 1st time i seen 6 to 7 players spread across our 45 yard line though, usually before it was all back and tackling in numbers.

Tough task up next but hopefully we get a home draw

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

I think this tweet I saw at half time gets the point being made across very well

https://twitter.com/johnjm69/status/881207106229194752

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Probably prefer clare or donegal although mayo would be weakened without durkan and keegan. Most important thing though is a home draw.

whatnext wrote: »
    I think this tweet I saw at half time gets the point being made across very well

https://twitter.com/johnjm69/status/881207106229194752

There was one stage in the second half when we were a point down that we had zero players in the Sligo half.

Donegal at home. One of the best draws we could have gotten!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Donegal at home. One of the best draws we could have gotten!

I'd say they're sh!tt!ng themselves 😉

whatnext wrote: »
    I'd say they're sh!tt!ng themselves ��

To be fair, both teams are struggling. Both teams will see it as a winnable game.

• Advertisement

Like clockwork we get the Ulster team.

This could be hard to watch, to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

As I wrote on the other thread in my opinion the jury is still out on Andy.

In recent games defensively we have been poor. Over use of hand pass, players easily turned or beaten to the ball in crucial positions in front of goal and very little improvement / changes game to game. Persistance with a centre forward who is a fine dedicated, talented player but not suited to the position. I know we are very short on good players but I think we have regressed since the league.

That said, I think we have a 50 50 chance versus Donegal who have also regressed and we are at home. We are fitter than in recent years so hopefully when the game is in the melting pot that will stand to us and the crowd support get us over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I'm still trying to digest Saturday I think scraping it out could stand to us but it was awful to watch. We seem to be going backwards if anything. Just hoping Donegal is a test we can pass

We wont be on TV. Does anyone know if GAA Go shows non live games as I wont be in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭tanko

We wont be on TV. Does anyone know if GAA Go shows non live games as I wont be in the country?

The Donegal v Longford game was streamed live on Michael Murphy sports website i think. Maybe only Donegal home games are shown on that tho.

I'd much rather Donegal than Mayo, Donegal are solid but a long way off their 2011-2014 level. Definitely a winnable game at home, though a better performance than the last 3 games is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Same team announced as last week.
    Wouldn't be surprised if there is at least one change - Conlon for Power would be my bet on that one.

I know he only went on for an injured player, but I'm surprised Toher isn't kept after a good performance.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him feature heavily anyway considering he's had an eventful championship...named to start at the last minute vs. Louth, subbed after 20 minutes vs. Kildare, brought on after 15 minutes vs. Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Felexicon wrote:
    Jesus that was hard to watch this evening. I know it's our first win in the qualifiers since 2011 but surely we should have been able to handle that Sligo side with a bit more to spare. Especially considering it was in Navan. It's very hard to see how the current game plan can lead to major success. When we lose possession 13 of our outfield players retreat to our own 45 and let the opposition have as much time on the ball as they want. When they choose to advance we seemingly step aside and allow them straight through the middle every time. Once they hit the full back line we begin to frantically tackle and look like we could give away 5 penalties some day. If we turn over possession we have opted for the little used tactic of breaking at snails pace and only allowing ourselves 2 forward passes before the player in possession must do a 180 and pass to an open man 10 yards behind him. While this is happening the players not in possession try to lure their markers in to a trance by running in a series of never ending circles that some how always end up with them in a position where it is impossible to receive the ball. Then we have the lone ranger inside to oppositions 45. No matter what is happening he has been instructed to do shuttle runs from left to right until the ball is kicked in to him at which point he will make a darting diagonal run in the opposite direction. And god forbid we get a kickout! Then we're really in trouble

Have you ever read such ****e!

Meath will wipe the floor with Donegal.

These young pretenders to what was once a great side that epitomized manliness will be shaking in their nappies as they roll in to the fortress that is Navan.

Advertisement