Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Syferus wrote: »
    Excuse me? On what planet are you operating?

He landed your first ever u21 Munster title, back-to-back promotions in the league and was instrumental in maintaining the glimmers of under-age progress before he arrived in 2008. Five seasons is a very long term 'answer' in inter-county managerial terms. One bad league doesn't really change much of anything and Tipperary should be hugely thankful to Evans for all his work, before he got there Tipp were regarded as guaranteed win on all but the weakest teams' schedules.

Have to agree with Gunner here, Evans had a very good impact originally but he has lets say an extremely high opinion of himself and is very hard to work with, alot of the players were absolutely delighted to see him leave, which can be seen by their last two league results and as a result of he's five years in Tipp the county board is crippled with Debt.

He's CV is very impressive though as you have said and at Club level aswell, from any dealings I have had with him he stroke me as very knowledgable and single minded but very blunt and basically he's always right in he's own mind, I can see fireworks between himself and Banty tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Have to agree with Gunner here, Evans had a very good impact originally but he has lets say an extremely high opinion of himself and is very hard to work with, alot of the players were absolutely delighted to see him leave, which can be seen by their last two league results and as a result of he's five years in Tipp the county board is crippled with Debt.

He's CV is very impressive though as you have said and at Club level aswell, from any dealings I have had with him he stroke me as very knowledgable and single minded but very blunt and basically he's always right in he's own mind, I can see fireworks between himself and Banty tbh.

Your character assessment is bang on from what I know of him as well FWIW.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Christ, how did the hurlers manage to pull that one off.
    From the reports, they were 3-8 to 6 points down at half time against London and ended up winning 4-8 to 3-10 thanks to a late goal by Peter Durnin.
    Anyone know who they're playing next or is there a draw to be made?

Also, fair play to the minor hurlers who managed to keep within 2 points of Offaly yesterday. Clearly, there is serious potential to improve in hurling if the right attitude is taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭rpurfield

so big joe marked his return by scoring two goals against westmeath yesterday.big win by all accounts but an experimental westmeath line up.was anybody at it

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

rpurfield wrote: »
    so big joe marked his return by scoring two goals against westmeath yesterday.big win by all accounts but an experimental westmeath line up.was anybody at it

Didn't go but my Father did, despite saying he had watched his last Meath match (yet again) after the Louth league game.

He said it was a decent run out, the key improvement in his eyes was Johnny Evans on the line, he showed more passion than the whole panel combined did in the league. He was constantly communicating with the team, and giving them dogs for not holding their positions. Reckons well over half the passes made during the match were forward, rather than 90% sideways or backwards as in the league. We used the width of the pitch, had forwards up front and defenders at the back( an interesting concept). Defenders were even under instruction to beat their man to the ball. Also a lot less of the pulling and dragging.
    S Kenny back in the half backs.
    Joe was a bit off the pace, but has the brain to get by and did so effectively.
    Reilly safe at full back, Cian Ward looked uninterested, G Reilly ran with a lot of ball without too much productivity. Peader Byrne surprised him and did ok in midfield, he caught more ball than the midfield from the league combined. S Bray went of injured, went to the bench and asked to be taken off (the old man reckoned it might have been to cold for him)

Westmeath were poor, but not as bad as the score suggested (4-14 to 0-8, I think).

All the above comes with a major health warning, its all second hand from the most pessimistic man in the world (but also a fanatical Meath fan that has been attending games all over the country for the past 40 years)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Whatever else you want to say about John Evans, attributing an unexpected shift towards attacking football to him is likely to be a complete misinterpretation of a situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

keane2097 wrote: »
    Whatever else you want to say about John Evans, attributing an unexpected shift towards attacking football to him is likely to be a complete misinterpretation of a situation.
    We can but hope that it is a move to attacking football, and the trend will continue. At least its a positive after so many negatives in recent games.
    Heres wishing........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Anyone heading to the open training session in Navan tonight

Felexicon wrote: »
    Anyone heading to the open training session in Navan tonight
    Guys did anyone go? any feed back.

Minors easily beat Offaly to make the Leinster semi finals.

Hurlers into the Christy Ring semi finals after getting revenge on Kildare for the league win :D
    Up against either Wicklow or Down in the semi final. Great chance to make the final in Croke Park.

• Advertisement

Guys, whats you feelings on the Wicklow match next Sunday? Are you confident?

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    Guys, whats you feelings on the Wicklow match next Sunday? Are you confident?
    :pac:
    Not a chance. We're the bookies favourites but Wicklow (even if it was division 4) have been winning games and siverware while we've lost our last 5 competitive games. Have a bad feeling about the game. Carlow isn't a happy hunting ground for us.
    Hurlers are up against Wicklow in the Christy Ring semi final the day before. No word on the venue yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Beware the garden county lads. They are very hit and miss but when they bring the a game they can be hard to stop!!!

Hurlers play Wicklow in Arklow on Saturday at 2.30pm. Try get down to support them as it'll quite possibly be the only chance we'll have of seeing a Meath team attempt to make it to a national final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Hurlers play Wicklow in Arklow on Saturday at 2.30pm. Try get down to support them as it'll quite possibly be the only chance we'll have of seeing a Meath team attempt to make it to a national final.

why cant they have both games on in carlow on the sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

markie29 wrote: »
    why cant they have both games on in carlow on the sunday?

Wicklow have home advantage for the hurling match.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭GaughMan

Everyone needs to get down to Carlow on Sunday...wear plenty of green and gold...even bring the flags!! Lets get behind the lads! The season has been a nightmare so far so lets all unite and cheer on the lads! Come on you boys in green :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

id say carlow are fairly confident of a win since the meath setup has collapsed over the last few year all meath are capable of is robbing leinsters and reminiscing of past glories of a bygone era.... dubs 2012:)

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

anthonyos wrote: »
    id say carlow are fairly confident of a win since the meath setup has collapsed over the last few year all meath are capable of is robbing leinsters and reminiscing of past glories of a bygone era.... dubs 2012:)

And an idiot can easily be spotted when they comment on something they know nothing about.... Hope we manage to beat Wicklow.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭rpurfield

not too confident about sunday but the positives are the weather should be good and carlows a nice spot!!great to have joe back, hopefully we get a good start which is vital at the moment for confidence and build from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Any team with manager problems has to be concern. Wicklow were very impressive when beating a confident Fermanagh a few weeks ago in Furlong,Hannon,Glynn they have forwards that can cause damage.

Meath will win if their mindset is right & they play for the manager if not I think we may have a shock on the cards this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Any team with manager problems has to be concern. Wicklow were very impressive when beating a confident Fermanagh a few weeks ago in Furlong,Hannon,Glynn they have forwards that can cause damage.

Meath will win if their mindset is right & they play for the manager if not I think we may have a shock on the cards this weekend.

Would it be that much of a shock though?
    Jesus I hope we beat them. I cant make it to Carlow on Sunday, so please please dont let the season be over before it begins. Im all set for Tullamore on 10th June :)

Quick ot question.
    Im looking at buying a new jersey because my home one is gone a bit big.

I might just buy the home one again in a smaller size.
    But, I saw this
    http://www.oneills.com/shop-by-team/gaa/leinster/meath-gaa/meath-gaa-white-jersey-2012.html

Is this a new away or a third or wha?
    Any point buying it? Its nice, but suppose not much point wearing white... :pac:

Also, can anyone in the region tell me the nearest place to Sligo to buy a Meath jersey. I drove all the way to Navan the last time :o

Not off topic at all given it's a discussion about all things related to Meath GAA :pac:
    Never seen that jersey used before myself. I'd say it's possibly a third jersey on the off chance we play someone like Kerry or Donegal meaning the jersey's would most likely clash whether we use our first or second jersey.
    No idea where (apart from online) that you could find a Meath jersey in the wesht.

And I don't think it'd be a shock at all if Wicklow won on Sunday to be honest. They're the form team of the two, have good forwards, have better midfielders and will be well up for it. Hopefully we'll scrape through to meet Carlow.

Quick ot question.
    Im looking at buying a new jersey because my home one is gone a bit big.

I might just buy the home one again in a smaller size.
    But, I saw this
    http://www.oneills.com/shop-by-team/gaa/leinster/meath-gaa/meath-gaa-white-jersey-2012.html

Is this a new away or a third or wha?
    Any point buying it? Its nice, but suppose not much point wearing white... :pac:

Also, can anyone in the region tell me the nearest place to Sligo to buy a Meath jersey. I drove all the way to Navan the last time :o
    Just go to an Elvery Stores and get them to have one transfered to a shop near you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The white jersey is the second keepers set, for when Meath either wear their second (yellow) strip, or play a team who wear yellow as their main colour , it was worn by David Gallagher against DCU in the O'Byrne cup this year.

I would imagine were a 3rd kit necessary the outfield players would wear the white set, but only Leitrim have the same second set as us (Kerry wear blue, Donegal wear white) and we don't often meet them in the championship.

Personaly I wouldn't be too concerned about buying a brand new jersey this year. They will be bringing out a new one next year and in january the current jerseys are going to be sold for a tenner each to make way for the new stock.

Would it be that much of a shock though?
    Jesus I hope we beat them. I cant make it to Carlow on Sunday, so please please dont let the season be over before it begins. Im all set for Tullamore on 10th June :)
    I think it would be a shock. But more in a historical aspect than a current form one.
    Anyway I'll be there on Sunday supporting the team. Can't wait to be honest.

Felexicon wrote: »
    I think it would be a shock. But more in a historical aspect than a current form one.
    Anyway I'll be there on Sunday supporting the team. Can't wait to be honest.

Ah yeah, of course it would be a shock, in the big picture.
    But to us.....
    I think we all have a slight worry at the back of our minds...:)
    LMFM for me, unfortunately :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭a7k10rf6z8buel

So how are we gonna line out for this one at the weekend lads? We've very few options at midfield. Do you think Joe will play as at half forward again to compensate?

• Advertisement

So how are we gonna line out for this one at the weekend lads? We've very few options at midfield. Do you think Joe will play as at half forward again to compensate?
    I'd like to see Tom Walsh at midfield. He moved out there in the Louth game after Ward and Meade were sent off and did quite well. I think Joe could be more affective in at full forward. The full back line is were I'd have major concerns, maybe not so much for Sunday but (hopefully) when we get further into the summer

Advertisement