Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3: The Ending(s) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

she should know better than to give out details like that.. that's mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

There's the other oddity that an exploding Mass Relay is supposedly akin to a supernova. So the "good" ending where you destroy the reapers and the mass relays = destroying every system in the galaxy that has a mass relay. Obviously I was overlooking the "starchild involvement aside" caveat.

Also, the protheans built a small prototype mass relay so they could rebuild them from scratch if they had to.

Zillah wrote: »
    It will also be the final nail in the coffin of this preposterous indoctrination nonsense.

What always counted against it the most was that it required giving Bioware far too much credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think what she may have meant by the Mass Relays being able to be rebuilt, is that every race that was working on, and made, the Crucible (which even the Protheans were not able to complete), will surely be able to make their own Mass Relays now with all the combined knowledge and tech (whether current or salvaged from destroyed Reapers).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

IF the indoctrination theory / Shepard in rubble were true, and the stuff on the citadel with the ghost child were imagined, wouldn't it be a fair assumption that the Mass Relays are still intact (as everything would have just played out in Shepards head - he was never really on the Citadel)

When the ending is released I will just loads up the end of my game to see it, no way I'm playing through the whole thing again.

Tbh, I was annoyed when I started the game up, and realised that +2 years later, I am on earth, stripped on my rank and spectre status and just chilling .

I mean, after saving the whole galaxy and the citadel - twice ..I'm somehow completely relegated until needed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Tbh, I was annoyed when I started the game up, and realised that +2 years later, I am on earth, stripped on my rank and spectre status and just chilling .

I mean, after saving the whole galaxy and the citadel - twice ..I'm somehow completely relegated until needed ?

Well if you were like me, you let a load of council members die, so obviously the council, who grant you your power, will take it from you, where normally someone else would have been imprisoned or killed for doing that Shepard was allowed to live due to the whole saving the Galaxy twice thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Tbh, I was annoyed when I started the game up, and realised that +2 years later, I am on earth, stripped on my rank and spectre status and just chilling

That all makes sense after you've seen the end to The Arrival DLC for ME2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Well if you were like me, you let a load of council members die, so obviously the council, who grant you your power, will take it from you, where normally someone else would have been imprisoned or killed for doing that Shepard was allowed to live due to the whole saving the Galaxy twice thing.

I let them die in order to guarantee the Citadel would be saved, it's only 3 lives.

G.J. wrote: »
    That all makes sense after you've seen the end to The Arrival DLC for ME2.
    Only have ShadowBroker, I'll read up on arrival now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Apparently, a free "Extended Cut" ending is on the way in Summer:

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/official-mass-effect-3-suck-2/

Basically this is a rearguard for Bioware. They make the most minute of compromises so that if fans still complain, they will be viewed as if they are in the wrong and as if nothing will satisfy them.

This "compromise" isn't actually a compromise. They are just adding a few new cutscenes to this farce of an ending for "closure" and "fan service".

Unless Bioware actually make decent changes to their ending i refuse to buy any more DLC, unless of course that DLC is composed of "Syke! It was all indoctrination!" because that would make more sense than a space brat jesus and an Element Zero galactic apocalypse, or Shepard waking up on Earth despite the galaxy having blown up...it's either that or they retcon the feck out of the ending. Which would be ludicrous.
    My only argument against the indoctrination, would be that the Prothean VI was able to detect anyone indoctrinated , as it did with Leng ( who was the most nonsensical , random and useless character in the ME universe , why put him in the game ? ) , but it didn't recognise Shepard as being indoctrinated, and I don't believe he would fall under the influence so quickly, between then and the end.

Well you have to remember that if the Prothean VIs were so smart and could successfully notice indoctrination happening, they wouldn't have died out 50k years ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,601 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I was kinda looking forward to some 'playable' dlc being released soon but I guess the ending dlc will take priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Actually looks pretty cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BasebmHiqIo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Looks like I wasn't the only one to notice the Red, Green and Blue armours...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

So is that the same one with the extra cutscenes for the campaign aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Just beating it their , game was fantastic but few odd changes i didnt like , but i came here to ask did this happen to anyone , .. I went past the hospital nearly all the time and thane never showed up ...he was suppose to be their looking out the window sitting on the chair . I will have to play up that part again .. I need closure . Was upset never got to talk to thane , easily one of my fav characters of all time ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I believe he needs to send you an email first to meet him and then he shows up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Finished it last night and have to say it was an utterly enjoyable game, let down by an awfully poor ending. Probably a bit of a long post but its left more questions than answers for me.

I've had a read through this thread and the idea of indoctrination theory and I'm not quite sure I agree with it. After the Harbinger attacked, the armor was burnt off Shepard and he was badly injured. It made sense to me that he had barely survived it and I can't think of anything in that scene that would point to it "being in his head".
    If it was what they were going for, it was very badly done (you're supposed to think you've finished the game but you actually didn't because you died 15 minutes before hand?).

The Normandy crashing didn't make sense as Garrus and Liara both stepped out despite being with me during the attack on Earth. What was the Normandy doing in FTL in the first place? And how did Liara and Garrus, after somehow surving the Harbinger attack, beam off Earth to the Normandy in that space of time?

I got the survival ending and while it's nice to think he's alive, it requires a complete suspension of belief, almost further than possible for the series.

1) He's on the Citadel in space.
    2) He is not wearing any armor and is badly wounded....on the citadel.
    3) He destroys the convienient red beacon and gets engulfed in the blast..not wearing any armor.
    4) The citadel (with shepard still on it) blows up in space as the crucible is fired.

And then when all is said and done we get a view of some rubble (most likely London) and he's suddenly there, wearing an N7 chestplate (which he wasnt even wearing) and takes a breath. As I said it's a jarring supsension of belief for the sake of a "happy" ending and could have been done so much better if they just cut that starchild crap out of it and let us have a proper final battle with TIM and Harbinger.

Overall a great gaming experience, but the ending was atrocious and just baffles me the more I think about it. I don't know if any additonal scenes as they are promising could remove the sour taste it has left me for one of the best trilogys ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭fundlebundle

Just beating it their , game was fantastic but few odd changes i didnt like , but i came here to ask did this happen to anyone , .. I went past the hospital nearly all the time and thane never showed up ...he was suppose to be their looking out the window sitting on the chair . I will have to play up that part again .. I need closure . Was upset never got to talk to thane , easily one of my fav characters of all time ..

Same thing happened on my first play through, both thane and Miranda said they were on the citadel and were not.
    Also the entire ending fmv was all black and red, I thought it wasnt an error because of all the hate surrounding the ending :P

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I didn't mind the whole child manifestation thing. It wasn't a child but just a creation that Shepard could relate too while he interacted with the crucible.

The whole Reapers purpose explination was just stupid. Why couldn't the Reapers simply use their overwhelming might to crush what ever synthetic race was rising up against their organic masters. A single race of machines isn't going be able to challenge the Reapers. Why not simply purge them when the time came.

Azza wrote: »
    I didn't mind the whole child manifestation thing. It wasn't a child but just a creation that Shepard could relate too while he interacted with the crucible.

The whole Reapers purpose explination was just stupid. Why couldn't the Reapers simply use their overwhelming might to crush what ever synthetic race was rising up against their organic masters. A single race of machines isn't going be able to challenge the Reapers. Why not simply purge them when the time came.

I don't think you understand: Mass Effect 3's ending is "art". Why do you hate art?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

finished the game yesterday,ending is disappointing but overall the game was fantastic.
    i had garrus and liara with me for the final battle and was sure both were killed but saw garrus coming out of the normandy at the end but didnt see liara,even though i was relieved to see garrus make it as another poster said it didnt make sense.im still annoyed with myself for letting talia die,i thought i was doing the honourable thing by siding with the geth but i didnt realise that meant destroying the quarian,should have paid attention.just a quick question,how come jack wasnt in the game,she surived the last game but there was no sign of her here.

not sure if im meant to use spoilers or not,said i would just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Jack is in the game, she's at Grissom academy.

• Advertisement

damn it forgot to highlight spoilers.sorry about that

i remember i had to do a mission at grissom academy but when i came around to do it was gone.must have gone too far ahead in other missions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

That was it alright. I kept the Geth and Quarians on side. Made them kiss and everything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

ronoc 1 wrote: »
    damn it forgot to highlight spoilers.sorry about that

No need for spoilers, at least as long as it's related to the complete game rather then any future dlc that you hear rumours about.

ronoc 1 wrote: »
    i remember i had to do a mission at grissom academy but when i came around to do it was gone.must have gone too far ahead in other missions.

You met Jack.

Oh yes.

If you didn't go to Grissom Academy the students are killed and Cerberus get their nasty little fingers on Jack again. They turn her into a Phantom, and you fight her when you assault Cerberus HQ. It's named Jack and everything.

You let her die, ronoc. You let Cerberus get her again. You sent her back to that dark place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

You son of a bitch. What did she do to you? She buried her demons at last only for you to bring them back. I hope you sad now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

You met Jack.

Oh yes.

If you didn't go to Grissom Academy the students are killed and Cerberus get their nasty little fingers on Jack again. They turn her into a Phantom, and you fight her when you assault Cerberus HQ. It's named Jack and everything.

You let her die, ronoc. You let Cerberus get her again. You sent her back to that dark place.

What the hell! I just checked this out. It's true. I'm pissed at you ronoc! What the hell man.

As an aside I just flicked through the following link. It's pictures of the voice cast beside their characters. I thought it was cool.
    http://kotaku.com/5892977/the-faces-behind-the-voices-of-mass-effect-3/gallery/1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

You met Jack.

Oh yes.

Holy crap! I did not realise that was actually true!

Apparently it is rather underwhelming. It is literally a normal Phantom with the name Jack on it.
    As an aside I just flicked through the following link. It's pictures of the voice cast beside their characters. I thought it was cool.
    http://kotaku.com/5892977/the-faces-behind-the-voices-of-mass-effect-3/gallery/1

This is cool. Did they get Manshep's face wrong? Ashley is black not latino, that's weird. Kaidan's VA looks as annoying as Kaidan. Biggest shock though: Aria is Carrie-Anne Moss (aka Trinity from the Matrix!).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If you choose Morinth over Samara in the 2nd game, you fight a Morinth Banshee in the Asari Ardat-Yakshi school.

Michael Hogan (Col Tigh!) also looks like he's going to kill someone in that photo.

Advertisement