Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3: The Ending(s) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Lordhogo wrote: »
    This is one of my problems if this indoctrination theory is true. I mean there is a lot of evidence pointing towards indoctrination but it is all so insignificant. I'm not looking for some scene that makes it painfully obvious, where you are told straight by Harbinger or TIM just some clue that makes sense by the end. Of course that is all irrelevant if the theory is untrue as Bioware wont clarify which gives me bad feeling that it will be revealed in DLC.

Shepard waking up in the rubble and breathing is that one big scene that you are looking for that really points towards indoctrination. The rest is just speculation and conjecture. Concinving, but not really solid.

There can be no other reason for that cutscene because shepard is supposed to be "dead" at that point so why bother rednering that scene?

If they have any sense, they will make it true.....even if it isn't. The fans aren't happy so won't buy the DLC unless it fixes things. And they can make alot of money off 3 or 4 sets of full price DLC. They won't risk people not buying it. The first one out will prove the indoctrination theory. I'd bet my 360 on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If the indoctrination theory was correct there is no way Bioware would not have said so by now, they are facing a PR disaster. The scene with Shepard breathing could take place anywhere, and I think any inconsistencies are better explained by an incompetantly cobbled together ending than anything requiring subtle and pervasive undertones woven throughout the whole game with Bioware refusing to acklowledge it even by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

they are announcing their first DLC this month, so ye just dont know til then, and even then it could be something entirely superflous

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

they are announcing their first DLC this month, so ye just dont know til then, and even then it could be something entirely superflous

Well, Sheppard definitely won't be in it, so probably yeah.
    Kotaku wrote:
    So Bioware is giving us a "modified" ending to Mass Effect 3. While details are scant, the safe money is on not a changed ending, but an epilogue of sorts. Something more.

If you were hoping that would mean something more from a certain Commander Shepard, well, it doesn't sound like it will. Speaking with Edge, Jennifer Hale, the voice of Shepard, said that she hasn't recorded anything. She hasn't even been contacted by BioWare or told she'll be needed for whatever new content we end up with.

Not that she won't ever be contacted in the future, but given the timeframes needed to put DLC together, it doesn't seem likely Commander Shepard will have much of a role to play in whatever new content is added to the game's "ending".

http://kotaku.com/5899274/commander-shepard-hasnt-recorded-any-new-mass-effect-3-dialogue-yet

that is odd, could imply that the DLC wont have much going on with shepard, possibly other characters or the voice acting for this planned DLC had been done prior to the original launch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Shepard could be unconsious... and you could be playing as another character... trying to get Shepard help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Breaking: EA & Bioware to release Mass Effect: Extended Cut

http://news.ea.com/portal/site/ea/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20120405005304&newsLang=en

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--BioWare, a Label of Electronic Arts Inc. announced Mass Effect™ 3: Extended Cut, a downloadable content pack that will expand upon the events at the end of the critically acclaimed Action RPG. Through additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will give fans seeking further clarity to the ending of Mass Effect 3 deeper insights into how their personal journey concludes. Coming this summer, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will be available for download on the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC for no extra charge*.

Sounds a lot like a few CGI scenes... I'm not sure how I feel about this but maybe it'll do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

RichTea wrote: »
    for no extra charge*

Can't argue with that.

But whats with the * ???

Free of Charge*

*Fees apply

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Can't argue with that.

But whats with the * ???

Free of Charge*

*Fees apply

For that asterisk it says that the offer is only valid until April 12...but the Extended Cut is due for release in the summer. Hmmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

For that asterisk it says that the offer is only valid until April 12...but the Extended Cut is due for release in the summer. Hmmmm...
    April 12th 2014 (which is an oddly specific date)

• Advertisement

Meesared wrote: »
    April 12th 2014 (which is an oddly specific date)

Ah, apologies. That's two years down the line. Why the need to specify that?

Anyway, what do people think about this having read the statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,212 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ah, apologies. That's two years down the line. Why the need to specify that?

Anyway, what do people think about this having read the statement?

No different. It won't solve the problems with the ending imo - just make it longer and possibly more annoying.

They would have to completely rewrite the ending to make it satisfactory imo, which they are not going to do.

There needs to be a way to keep the relays intact. (otherwise the Quarian story is a freaking joke outcome no matter what). There needs to be more variation and impact on what the big choices mean - Rachni, Krogan, Geth, Quarian - XXX are helping with the Crucible - is not sufficient.

There is far more to be done with the ending that a simply extended sequence could/would cover.

Also, I wouldn't be saying they need to change the plot outcome (in terms of the star child) I don't like it but I can get over it - but the actual outcomes need a big overhaul imo, and I don't see them doing it.

I still struggle to think how Bioware thought it was a good ending in the first place. I mean do they do no quality testing? Would they not have shown it to a few select fans to see what they think, like a very early screening of a movie? It really has been a massive **** up on their part, which has alienated a lot of fans. To have to release a free dlc, just to "clarify" an ending is beyond a joke.

Still, it's free...and it can't possibly get any worse...right? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Kiith wrote: »
    Still, it's free...and it can't possibly get any worse...right? :pac:

It was all going so well until you said that....

It will probably have a kinect dance mode for the credits now.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Sounds promising. Free of charge, kudo's bioware.
    No different. It won't solve the problems with the ending imo - just make it longer and possibly more annoying.

Would it not be prudent to wait and see it first?
    There needs to be a way to keep the relays intact. (otherwise the Quarian story is a freaking joke outcome no matter what).

The thing is, we don't know how many Quarians are stuck on earth, from the looks of it a significant number, but we don't know if its all of them or just the military. They all ready reached there homeworld previously so would could assume without stretching credibility that a signficant number of non military vessels and personal stayed behind. As for those trapped, who is to say that other methods of faster than light travel are impossible and could be invented 20-50-100 years down the road.
    There needs to be more variation and impact on what the big choices mean - Rachni, Krogan, Geth, Quarian - XXX are helping with the Crucible - is not sufficient.

Not really to do with the ending. More of a general complaint. So I don't think This is going be addressed.

My biggest problem was with the reapers logic for doing what they do. It made no sense and it needs clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,212 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Azza wrote: »
    Not really to do with the ending. More of a general complaint. So I don't think This is going be addressed.

My biggest problem was with the reapers logic for doing what they do. It made no sense and it needs clarification.

I don't mean in terms of them helping you within the game (though it would have been nice if there was a bigger impact there) but some closure or explanation of what will happen in the galaxy based on your decision. Will the Krogan and the Rachni go on a galactic killing spree if you allowed them to leave? Will the quarians and geth reignite their war if you ended it - things like that. We are told a few times that our decisions could have horrible consequences for the galaxy and that we are thinking to short term with regards to the reaper war. I'd like to see what the hell they are talking about. that could be included in what they are planning to do though.

I reckon they want to do non-shpard sequels and don't want to tie themselves down to a cannon outcome from ME3 and the Shepard trilogy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

At least it's free. That's fair enough with me.

At least it's free. That's fair enough with me.

I can only imagine the nerd-rage if it wasn't...would be a sight to see :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Azza wrote: »
    Will the Krogan and the Rachni go on a galactic killing spree if you allowed them to leave? Will the quarians and geth reignite their war if you ended it - things like that. We are told a few times that our decisions could have horrible consequences for the galaxy and that we are thinking to short term with regards to the reaper war. I'd like to see what the hell they are talking about.

I don't think we need to see the outcome of everything. Leaving some avenues open for future games in the same universe is a good idea. There are so many possibilities for Bioware to continue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Is it true that the pic of tali is ash sroka

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Meh, you only really get to experience the ending of a game like that fully once. The Mass Effect story is done for me - it was a great game with an awful ending that made no sense. I've moved on and traded it in. I have no interest in returning to that game now, free DLC or not.

It's why I never really got the whole campaign for them to change the ending. Sure you can be pissed off and express your distaste for the way they handled the end, but is forcing them to change it really going to make up for the crappy experience you had when you first completed the game?

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I keep my games and go back them to the ones I really like everyone now and then. So for me the change is worth it.

For anyone who isn't satisfied by the Extended Cut announcement, the Twitter feed of Bioware's Community Manager is throwing up some interesting tidbits.

http://twitter.com/#!/jessicamerizan

Highlights include:
    • Mass Relays are fixable
    • Shepard can be reunited with his crew
    • Nobody starves to death!

How are the Mass Relays fixable? We saw them frickin' explode!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

If they're fixable I fail to see what the point in them being destroyed in the first place was. Surely the point is that you have to make a decision which carries consequences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

I'd say they don't know themselves at this stage.

Well "rebuilt" we'll say. There's plenty of Reaper carcasses lying around, bound to be loads of Reaper tech to be salvaged.

tbh, i dont want to slam it before i play it, but those three are kind of big spoilers to have gone out on twitter already :/

It's basiclly saying...
    Shepard didnt die, The ME relays can be rebuilt if they even were destroyed in any of the three endings, and the combined fleets will have a way to get to their respective homes.

So yeah...the end wasnt really the end at all.. it was just a dream.. like when bobby ewing showed up in the shower after he was killed.

Tbh, it's free so i've nothing to complain about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Maybe they won't explode this time. They're calling it the extended edition, which to me implies that it's supposed to be taken as a whole (playing the game again) rather than something that gets stuck on to the end of your existing story. I am cautiously optimistic that they're going to use this to put together a less ridiculous conclusion. The tweets above are certainly promising, and while I don't dare to hope they'll dump the Starchild altogether, I'd be relatively satisfied with a fleshed out version of the endings we got.

It will also be the final nail in the coffin of this preposterous indoctrination nonsense.

• Advertisement

Shepard didnt die,

The ME relays can be rebuilt if they even were destroyed in any of the three endings, and the combined fleets will have a way to get to their respective homes.

I think she qualified those points by saying:

Shepard only lives if he lived at the end of your game (5000+ EMS, blah blah blah).

And the Relays are only rebuildable in certain endings.

I think she's come out and said this to stop the wave of "ZOMG! NO! I WANT A BRAND NEW ENDING" which they've been receiving on Twitter and elsewhere.

Advertisement