Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭CK73

I've only experience with m4/3. The only advantage was size. It lacked everywhere else compared to a DSLR.

Really? That is very disappointing to hear. I was hoping to hear differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

CK73 wrote: »
    Really? That is very disappointing to hear. I was hoping to hear differently.

I've an Oly EPL3. I'm not sure if the tech has advanced much but from what I remember it is inherent in their design due to the smaller sensor size and distance from the lense amongst other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,863 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

CK73 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience with mirrorless cameras? I'm thinking of investing in one and although I know they do have limitations with regards to macro and speed photography, they do seem to be brilliant in every other way and possibly the future in photography.

I'm also not sure if it would be better to go for fuji or olympus?

Theses days the top M4/3 cameras are well able to focus on most moving subjects. Not quite as good as top end DSLRs, but still very capable.

M4/3 have no disadvantage in terms of macro, in fact they have an advantage as the format has an inherently greater depth of field.

I personally use an Olympus and wouldn't know much about the Fuji. The OM-D range of cameras have superb image stabilisation capabilities allowing you to get good hand-held shots in low lighting when normally you might expect a blurred image due to camera shake.

If you use the studio shot comparison tool at Dpreview.com, you can readily compare the image quality afforded by different cameras. Comparing any OM-D with any DSLR will show very little image quality difference at all but the most extreme ISO settings.

I've an Oly EPL3. I'm not sure if the tech has advanced much but from what I remember it is inherent in their design due to the smaller sensor size and distance from the lense amongst other things.

The EPL3 was introduced mid 2011. The newer models have improved sensors and image processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭sleepysniper

Looking on eGlobalCentral I was about to buy the Canon 700D but then i spotted the Nikon D3200/D3300. It would appear that the Nikon seems to be a slightly better camera in terms of image quality? It also shoots 1080p @ 60FPS.

I want a Canon and the articulated LCD screen would be handy, but the spec and price of the Nikon are also very appealing.

I can't decide which to go for - please help!

This will be my first DSLR by the way.

Canon 700D

Nikon D3300

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Looking on eGlobalCentral I was about to buy the Canon 700D but then i spotted the Nikon D3200/D3300. It would appear that the Nikon seems to be a slightly better camera in terms of image quality? It also shoots 1080p @ 60FPS.

I want a Canon and the articulated LCD screen would be handy, but the spec and price of the Nikon are also very appealing.

I can't decide which to go for - please help!

This will be my first DSLR by the way.

Canon 700D

Nikon D3300

You better ask yourself what lenses are you going to buy at the very beginning.
    This way you will know what system you should select.
    By the way, kit lens is not worth consideration as you'll get rid of it pretty soon if you're seriously interested in photography.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭sleepysniper

sebphoto wrote: »
    You better ask yourself what lenses are you going to buy at the very beginning.
    This way you will know what system you should select.
    By the way, kit lens is not worth consideration as you'll get rid of it pretty soon if you're seriously interested in photography.

Thanks for the reply.

I would have been under the impression that both Canon and Nikon would both have the equivalent lenses that I may require? Is there a big difference between their lenses?

For example; from reading the FAQ section I will get the "nifty fifity" lense and a 70-300mm lense - will this have a bearing over getting the Nikon or the Canon?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Thanks for the reply.

I would have been under the impression that both Canon and Nikon would both have the equivalent lenses that I may require? Is there a big difference between their lenses?

For example; from reading the FAQ section I will get the "nifty fifity" lense and a 70-300mm lense - will this have a bearing over getting the Nikon or the Canon?

I meant to say that if you decide to get pro Nikkor lenses then your entire system would be Nikon.
    In terms of differences between say 70-200 2.8 Canon and Nikon, first is the price:
    Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II = $2397, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM = $2200. Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 = $420, Canon 50mm f/1.4 = $400, but Canon also have 50mm f/1.2, however it's different story.

Second, image quality and lens quality, but these things are subjective and depends from personal preferences.

Third, customer service.

In my opinion you have to think about your requirements - what camera you need exactly and then make decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Can anyone please recommend a starter camera and a course for a child that likes to take pictures of nature etc?

She is 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

Hi folks.

Just wondering can anyone recommend a nice beginner dlsr don't wanna spend too much off the bat so wanna keep it under €200. I don't mind going second hand for first camera to see if I have a feel/nack for it.

If I find myself getting into it I can upgrade during the year. Would prefer Nikon as I have access to a Nikon lens if needs be.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

_DMac_ wrote: »
    Hi folks.

Just wondering can anyone recommend a nice beginner dlsr don't wanna spend too much off the bat so wanna keep it under €200. I don't mind going second hand for first camera to see if I have a feel/nack for it.

If I find myself getting into it I can upgrade during the year. Would prefer Nikon as I have access to a Nikon lens if needs be.

Thanks

If they're older lenses, look for a D70, if not a D5100.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

If they're older lenses, look for a D70, if not a D5100.

Thanks. I probably should clarify that I would prefer a lens included if possible but can borrow one if I need to but would ideally have my own incase something happens to borrowed one.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

The Nikon 18-70 is a decent lens for around €100, and often comes with the D70.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Hey folks, investigating new cameras and have a few questions.

Current camera is a Sony A230 DSLR and have taken 15,000 shots. Not a pro but have the basics, don't have extra lenses and probably looking at Canon or Nikon DSLRs. I want more pixels, good video, live view and some extra features and controls to challenge me.

1. Have entry level DSLRs improved in the last 5 years or would another entry level be a waste?
    2. Second hand or newer model? Has anyone bought an older midrange instead of new entry level?
    3. Budget is TBC. What do I have to spend to see a nice improvement?

Nikon D5300 is topping the list at the moment! Thanks

dusf wrote: »
    Can anyone please recommend a starter camera and a course for a child that likes to take pictures of nature etc?

She is 13.

Olympus XZ-2 might serve the purpose. If by 'nature' you are envisioning frame filling shots of wildlife taken from a distance then that isn't a realistic aim as the equipment to achieve those sorts of images costs in the thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭Ryath

Been lurking in here and doing a lot of research the last month trying to decide on my first dslr. Brother has a 600d and it's made me realise the limitations of my 5 year old Samsung compact. Budget is tight though €400-500 would prefer to keep to the lower end.

Usual suspects Nikon 3200 or Canon eos 100d. Oddball choice is the Sony SLT A58 or the Pentax K50. Will be mostly for pictures of my kids so a 35 or 50mm prime would be perfect most of the time. Looking at pricing though usually as well to get the 18-55 kit lens as it usually only costs an extra 50 though I can live with out it if I can get the body cheap enough.

Other use would for cycle races so really am looking at a fairly fast zoom 55-200 lens which is probably outside my budget and I'll pick up later in the year.

From looking Nikons seem much cheaper online than the Dublin stores but the prices for cannon are much closer. A 100d in cons is €549 with a 8gb card and a bag thrown in. It's €485 on amazon with no card or bag.

Cons had Sony A58 with the 18-55 and 50mm prime last week for €479 which was very tempting. Not listed anymore though. Jessops in belfast have it with 3 lens kit with a 55-200 lens for €532. Wary of going with sony will it cost more in the long run? Lenses and flashes are dearer.

The pentax tempts me as it's weather resistant bit over budget but lenses are a bit cheaper. From everything I've read image quality is not quite as good as cannon or nikon.

Going to go have a look around the Dublin shops today and see what I like. I'm still confused by choice between canon and nikon and this article made it worse :confused:http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikon-vs-canon.htm

Buying online I'd probably go with the nikon as the savings are substantial. With canon though the shops are much closer and most are throwing in 8gb card and case and some a day or half days training which would be nice. I'm hoping instore there would be some leeway for a discount or a bit extra off getting a backpack or sling bag.

Sorry for the rambling post just trying to get it clear in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

If your brother has a Canon, might it be worth considering the possibility of swapping/borrowing/sharing lenses with him? So choosing Canon might give you access to more lenses?

Have you held the different cameras in your hand? How they feel really does make a difference to how you will enjoy photography. Nikon works better for me in that respect. But others would prefer Canon or another brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Pentax is a very good choice, but Canon and Nikon are the most popular... The weatherproofing would be a huge selling point for me... Image quality is equal to Nikanon but some video functions may not be as advanced. Lenses are generally good... But harder to swap because there are less users...

Pentax users are generally a happy bunch knowing they made a very good choice that others aren't too aware of...

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Alltherage

The 600d looks to be in the same price range as the 100d, I found the 100d a bit small when I had one in my hands in the store don't know if that's just it feeling unfamilar, touch screen might be interesting and if you were doing live view focusing shooting vid then the hybrid af should be better. Both worth considering if hear share is an option with your brother.

The 3200 is probably better value looking at the prices, the only negative experience I had with one was having it refuse to shoot when set to rear button focus unless it thought it was in focus. Couldn't find any setting for that either. So apart from having pushed me to anger with some of it's design decisions it's probably the more capable camera image wise.

I've heard some bad things about the A58 but in truth I've heard them from photographers who seem to really not like Sony. So if you get the opportunity to try one out give it a go. Hell report back I'd be interested to get an opinion from somebody who's not spending the weekend burning crosses outside Sonys corporate HQ.

Going to go with bluefoam on the pentax, if you're looking for weather sealing then that's the decision made becasue you wont find it on your other options. hold out for a little bit canons 750/760 are supposed to be officially announced tomorrow that might send do favourable things to the pricing on the older bodies. Never enough that you'll feel like you've caught a bargain mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Ryath wrote: »
    Been lurking in here and doing a lot of research the last month trying to decide on my first dslr. Brother has a 600d and it's made me realise the limitations of my 5 year old Samsung compact. Budget is tight though €400-500 would prefer to keep to the lower end.

Usual suspects Nikon 3200 or Canon eos 100d. Oddball choice is the Sony SLT A58 or the Pentax K50. Will be mostly for pictures of my kids so a 35 or 50mm prime would be perfect most of the time. Looking at pricing though usually as well to get the 18-55 kit lens as it usually only costs an extra 50 though I can live with out it if I can get the body cheap enough.

Other use would for cycle races so really am looking at a fairly fast zoom 55-200 lens which is probably outside my budget and I'll pick up later in the year.

From looking Nikons seem much cheaper online than the Dublin stores but the prices for cannon are much closer. A 100d in cons is €549 with a 8gb card and a bag thrown in. It's €485 on amazon with no card or bag.

Cons had Sony A58 with the 18-55 and 50mm prime last week for €479 which was very tempting. Not listed anymore though. Jessops in belfast have it with 3 lens kit with a 55-200 lens for €532. Wary of going with sony will it cost more in the long run? Lenses and flashes are dearer.

The pentax tempts me as it's weather resistant bit over budget but lenses are a bit cheaper. From everything I've read image quality is not quite as good as cannon or nikon.

Going to go have a look around the Dublin shops today and see what I like. I'm still confused by choice between canon and nikon and this article made it worse :confused:http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikon-vs-canon.htm

Buying online I'd probably go with the nikon as the savings are substantial. With canon though the shops are much closer and most are throwing in 8gb card and case and some a day or half days training which would be nice. I'm hoping instore there would be some leeway for a discount or a bit extra off getting a backpack or sling bag.

Sorry for the rambling post just trying to get it clear in my head.

Is there a camera club near you? Pop along some evening, I'm sure they'll give you good advice and will probably let you try out their cameras. There's usually a good mix of makes and models in camera clubs. You won't be getting a hard sell off a salesperson either. (though a row could start over the best make of camera :pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

All camera brands are good these days really.
    Down to personal thoughts, handle several camera brands, some feel better to some people than other brands, prefer the button layout etc.
    as mentinoed- if someone else has Canon and some good lenses consider that brand
    pentax has in body stabilisation to lens can be cheaper
    not as many second hand Pentax around in-stores, have to buy them online
    I'd consider buying your camera body 2nd hand anyway- a lot cheaper. If you know your photography already (aperture, shutter etc) I'd go for a camera with top-panel lcd (I find it handy)
    do you want a articulated back lcd screen; only some have these.
    go for an afternoon mini-photowalk with someone and get a proper feel for a camera.

Good luck.

There should be plenty of cameras available for that price without resorting to Alibaba

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markens2

Any suggestions in or around that price? Wouldn't mind second hand if it was good.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I'm looking to buy a new camera, have only really had basic ones before now. But I'd really like to learn more and take better shots.

For now our priorities are photos of family, pets, nature and holidays.

Based on my own research I've narrowed it down to three cameras;
    Olympus Pen-e pl7
    Nikon coolpix p600 or p520
    Pentax Q7

Any comments or suggestions?

The Pen e-pl7 would be my pick of those three and is a good choice for your intended uses and level of interest.

It has by far the largest sensor of the three so will have lower noise and better low light performance. The image stabilisation would help in that regard.

Because it is a micro four thirds system camera, it would give you access to a wide variety of excellent lenses if you were to find your interest developed and better or different lenses became attractive. You could also add the VF-4 viewfinder at a later date which is apparently very good.

If you want an idea of the image quality an E-pl7 is capable of in the right hands and with high quality lenses, Robin Wong's review would be worth a look: http://robinwong.blogspot.ie/2014/08/olympus-pen-e-pl7-review.html

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a new camera, have only really had basic ones before now. But I'd really like to learn more and take better shots.

For now our priorities are photos of family, pets, nature and holidays.

Based on my own research I've narrowed it down to three cameras;
    Olympus Pen-e pl7
    Nikon coolpix p600 or p520
    Pentax Q7

Any comments or suggestions?

I have a Pentax Q, its a great camera.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I have a Pentax Q, its a great camera.

Is it user friendly Bluefoam?

Is the Q7 a decent model or should I be looking at a different model?

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Is it user friendly Bluefoam?

Is the Q7 a decent model or should I be looking at a different model?

It has alot of the function of a DSLR in a very small body. The Q7 is much improved from my original Q, but the latest model is the S1...

One of the big advantages is that the lenses are also quite small, making it very easy to carry around...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

Just for holidays, don't want to horse around a DSLR for the duration! I'm looking for something reasonably priced that will give good quality images. Thanks.

Advertisement