Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

I'm looking to buy a Compact Camera to be used mostly for family occasions and the likes...
    I don't know much about cameras but I have been looking at this one...

http://www.currys.ie/Product/canon-powershot-sx700-hs-superzoom-compact-digital-camera-black/321495/398.0.3

Anyone know if it's any good or can they recommend any better for less than €300?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Wailin wrote: »
    Just for holidays, don't want to horse around a DSLR for the duration! I'm looking for something reasonably priced that will give good quality images. Thanks.

The Canon G series has always been a good camera to take when you need to travel light. I have had two G9's and a G12 with an underwater housing. Have friends who wanted to know which DSLR to get and I have steered them towards a G and they have all come back and said it was the right choice for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Wailin

CabanSail wrote: »
    The Canon G series has always been a good camera to take when you need to travel light. I have had two G9's and a G12 with an underwater housing. Have friends who wanted to know which DSLR to get and I have steered them towards a G and they have all come back and said it was the right choice for them.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gogreen81

scammal wrote: »
    Electronic Digital Single Lens Reflex Cameras - EDSLR..I lifted this straight out of the FAQ in the boards cameras and accessories section..don't know myself..and good question kenny..what's the difference between digital and optical zoom?
    There's a few in argos that seem like good value..Nikon Coolpix L830 16MP Bridge Camera ticks boxes but has no lithium ion battery. also a Canon PowerShot SX510 12MP that has the battery but is only 12mp. Should I be looking for the size of the sensor or is the higher number of mp the best indicator of getting quality finished images? To be honest, the more time I spent looking at cameras, the more I knew how little I knew..

Hi,
    Did you. someone in this thread buy L830?
    Planning to buy it from Argos.. compared with atleast 10 similar camera but this wins hands down.
    used snapsort for comparison and now i think its owned by Nikon L30 makers, or has too much data for this camera that no other camera stands against it.:)
    Any recommendation? the other I liked was Sony DSC 520

snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-Coolpix-L830-vs-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-HX50V

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I'm in the market for a new digital camera. I don't want to be dealing with detachable pieces of equipment, but do want to be able to take good quality pictures with the minimum of fuss.
    I was looking at these two Canons (mainly because our last camera was a canon and we found it to be great although it's now obsolete)
    Canon Powershot 280 or
    canon ixus 265
    I can't really see through the technical jargon on them on the currys website, but they suit my budget.
    Does any have any opinions on these two good or bad?
    Thanks
    CMA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gogreen81

Call me Al wrote: »
    I'm in the market for a new digital camera. I don't want to be dealing with detachable pieces of equipment, but do want to be able to take good quality pictures with the minimum of fuss.
    I was looking at these two Canons (mainly because our last camera was a canon and we found it to be great although it's now obsolete)
    Canon Powershot 280 or
    canon ixus 265
    I can't really see through the technical jargon on them on the currys website, but they suit my budget.
    Does any have any opinions on these two good or bad?
    Thanks
    CMA

Just bought L830 (had SOny P&S earlier which got lens issues -dont rem the number ), but really liking it
    Looked into million websites and found it to be best value for money L830
    I can definitely recommend it. Argos 159 + 29 on rechargable batteries. + 1/3 discount of cover.
    Sd card cheaper from amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Hi

So I read the sticky, typed 'new DSLR for beginners' in Google, read multiple reviews, familiarised myself with the technical jargon, etc. Still, I would be eternally grateful if someone could offer some advice as I have found numerous choices on Google and now I'm even more confused than before

I'm a beginner, have wanted a DSLR for ages, saved a few euros every week and now I'm finally happy that I have enough budget to buy a level entry camera. May be a bridge one, I'm not fussy. I have a budget of 450€.

My main requirement is simple: I want to be able to photograph my young kids, who are full of energy and never stop running. I don't care so much about taking pics of tiny things in the distance with great details. Also, it has to be portable enough so that I can take it with me when we are outdoors.

Thanks a mil!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I would go for the Canon 100D
    It fits your budget exactly at the moment as there's €70 off.

I have the 700D and this is very similar, just a slightly cut down version really.

You could also go cheaper and get a mirrorless camera like this Sony but I would go for the 100D instead.

If size is an issue, the small Canon Eos M can achieve great results from what I hear. My brother uses one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CLCH79

Hi, can someone recommend a good quality and affordable digital camera perfect for beginners? I'm looking to study photography and need something easy to use and easy to carry, was looking at Nikon cool pix L840 but someone recommended Lumix Fz70.
    Recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

CLCH79 wrote: »
    Hi, can someone recommend a good quality and affordable digital camera perfect for beginners? I'm looking to study photography and need something easy to use and easy to carry, was looking at Nikon cool pix L840 but someone recommended Lumix Fz70.
    Recommendations?

If you are going to study photography seriously I recommend getting a DSLR, otherwise you will find limitations and need to upgrade... There are some lower cost options and value in the secondhand market that others can fill you in on here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Alltherage

If it were to come down to one or the other the Lumix has a hotshoe and and the L840 does not. I don't know what range of lights are going to be compatible with that shoe but I would lean toward having some options that way if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LaraWalker34

Hi,
    I'm going to be travelling a lot over the summer and hoping to do snorkelling.
    I would life to invest in a waterproof camera that will produce good quality photos in the water and out of it.
    I was researching and found the Nikon Coolpix AW110 which would be around €200 on Amazon however after reading the reviews it does not seem to do well in the water? I liked the fact that it has the GPS and WIFI.
    Has anybody got any other recommendations?

Just snorkelling? Then a waterproof camera should be ok but otherwise, a camera with dive housing might be needed.
    I use a go pro hero 3 silver for under water shots.
    Here are some examples on my dive blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Might be interesting to check out the HTC Re for snokling... Would allow you to enjoy yourself and get the videos

Saruman wrote: »
    Just snorkelling? Then a waterproof camera should be ok but otherwise, a camera with dive housing might be needed.
    I use a go pro hero 3 silver for under water shots.
    Here are some examples on

Just snorkelling/ pool no diving

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Might be interesting to check out the HTC Re for snokling... Would allow you to enjoy yourself and get the videos

Thanks had a look but am looking for something good for land use as well with wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 19,977 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Hi,
    I would life to invest in a waterproof camera that will produce good quality photos in the water and out of it.
    I was researching and found the Nikon Coolpix AW110 which would be around €200 on Amazon however after reading the reviews it does not seem to do well in the water? I liked the fact that it has the GPS and WIFI.

To be honest, that is not much of a budget for the category of camera you are after. You could have a look at this review article: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3436829389/dpreview-recommends-best-waterproof-cameras?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu

This would be within your budget: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-TG-320-Digital-Compact-Camera/dp/B006UABFEO/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1429919469&sr=8-11&keywords=olympus+tg

Pentax do a line of tough/waterproof cameras: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pentax+WG&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apentax+WG

Models with GPS cost more. The just released Olympus Tough TG-4 has both WiFi and GPS but is double your budget. The also recent Nikon COOLPIX AW130 is a bit cheaper than the Olympus and also has GPS and WiFi. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-COOLPIX-Compact-Digital-Camera-Orange/dp/B00TFLQ3YM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429919198&sr=8-2&keywords=Nikon+Coolpix+AW110

Hi,

One other thing, if the reviews are complaining about a blue or green tint in underwater images, don't mind that review. It's from someone who knows nothing about underwater photography. A camera white balance can't usually deal with underwater conditions correctly.

You either need the appropriate colour filter for the water you are in, such as Red for blue water and Magenta for green water.
    Or, and this is much easier, adjust on a computer afterwards. Usually, just clicking auto on RGB balance will adjust correctly. You don't need photoshop. GIMP will do it as will Picasa and they are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi,

I'm looking at the Panasonic TZ70. Does anyone have any experience of them? I'm just wondering if it is worth the dosh. I'll be using it mainly for holiday photos, weddings, wakes, birthdays and bar mitzvahs.

Would the previous TZ60 be a better option?

It looks good yes.

By all accounts, it's better than its predecessor and one of the reasons for this is the reduction from 18 to 12MP which is better for that type of sensor. I have no direct experience with it but it sounds like you just want a decent snapshot camera so this will be just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Saruman wrote: »
    It looks good yes.

By all accounts, it's better than its predecessor and one of the reasons for this is the reduction from 18 to 12MP which is better for that type of sensor. I have no direct experience with it but it sounds like you just want a decent snapshot camera so this will be just fine.

Thanks for the reply. Am I looking at the right thing? I just want to take good quality photos without having to lumber around a load of kit. But I don't want to be regretting not going for something bigger down the line like a G4.

Any opinions?

Any camera will take good quality photos, even many mobile phones these days.
    The camera is important but largely irrelevant. A camera phone in the hands of a professional photographer can produce a much better image than an expensive DSLR in the hands of a complete amateur.

Unless you plan on getting in to serious photography, a good point and shoot is perfect. If you plan on getting serious, lugging around equipment will not cross your mind as an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ben0101

Hello

I am looking for a good camera for HD quality and with chance for photography as well. I search in the internet and read some reviews i find ONLY Compact cameras with chance for Video and Camera But the Time for the Video is so low Around 30 Min I guess.. Me i am looking more for Videos than Photos

What the camcorder best for me??

The thing to remember with any camera is that there is a limit imposed for video. Something to do with lower tax somewhere along the chain.
    The limit isn't an issue. No one shoots a single video in one go. Videos are done in much smaller segments that are combined on a computer during the long editing phase. All you do is start recording again, you can record as many clips as you like.
    If you do want to shoot uninterrupted video in one setting for some reason, you need an actual video camera and they tend to be pretty poor for photos.

Canon DSLRs that can run magic lantern can bypass any limitations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Hi all.

Im in the market for a camera. Nothing too fancy or anything, mainly used for recreation purposes. Budget ideally not much more than €300 or so.

Any ideas / links would be appreciated.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

Nikon 3200 with an 18-55mm lens is currently the best beginner/entry-level camera. I'd say it's probably about 350 in shops.

would recommend buying on eglobalcentral (online)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not what camera, but what lens.

If one where to have been a bit of an eejit an accidentally pick up a Panasonic M4/3 camera w/o a lens, what would be a good budget lens to pick up? The kit lens is €230+, hoping to go a little cheaper.

Use case will be for an amateur taking selfies and holiday shots, no tele needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

ED E wrote: »
    Not what camera, but what lens.

If one where to have been a bit of an eejit an accidentally pick up a Panasonic M4/3 camera w/o a lens, what would be a good budget lens to pick up? The kit lens is €230+, hoping to go a little cheaper.

Use case will be for an amateur taking selfies and holiday shots, no tele needed.
    The 14-42mm is €219 in the panasonic store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'm trying to decide between the Nikon Coolpix S9700 and Canon PowerShot G7 X. The difference in price is 100. It's been many years since I bought a camera but I think I deserve one. I'll be shooting lots of landscape, people, small children. I don't constantly upgrade my technology.

Maybe someone owns one or the other of these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭kz44

Hi looking for a good digital camera for a course (media) want something for under 100e a good make though. any ideas??

Advertisement