Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Been reading this thread with interest as I'm also in the process of buying a bridge camera - mainly for nature photography - which would include distant and some close up shots. I'm not too excited about lugging large and intricate to operate camera kit so thinking of a bridge camera as an alternative, besides I'm not really big into photography , more of a casual / opportunist snapper with an interest in wildlife / nature observation. From reading earlier postings on bridge cameras sounds like I should be looking at the Panasonic LUMIX FZ70/FZ72 as serious contenders ? I've seen a review recently in a wildlife magazine of the Nikon Coolpix P610, which, although dearer seems to be another option to consider ?
    Any views on which of these should be worth closer scrutiny - is the additional cost of the Nikon worth it ? Seems from reviews that the Panasonic ticks most of the boxes for my requirements and for less money ? But I wouldn't be up to speed on understanding the technical specs of either brand of which has the upper hand in the specification stakes ?

I had a FZ38 and, once I managed to break it, I got an FZ72. The zoom is nuts, but I feel that the general quality isn't quite as good as the FZ38. This is subjective and may just be my feeling. I also invested in a DSLR, a Nikon D3300 and the quality is much better with that, but to get the same zoom would cost €10K and more!

Some other cameras you might consider
    • Panasonic FZ1000 which is rather expensive for a bridge camera, but it has a full-frame sensor
    • Panasonic FZ200 which has a great lens - f2.8 even at full zoom
    • Nikon P900 which makes all other superzoom cameras look boring. The negative with it, though, is that it doesn't have raw mode and at full zoom you'll have to use a tripod because there's no way you hold it steady enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

I have decided to get nikon d5300 ...but I'm not sure if I want kit lens or do I want to invest the difference in better lens.
    My question is- what lens would be best for travel photography?
    I'm beginner... haven't had camera like that before, so longin for lens that will stay on my camera most of the time. Any suggestions?

All depends from.. your budget to be honest :)
    Take a look on:
    Sigma 15-30
    Nikkor 14-24
    Nikkor 10-24
    Tokina 16-28
    Tokina 11-16
    Sigma 10-20
    and maybe something more narrow e.g. Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Nikkor 35mm 1.8 or maybe Nikkor 18-300mm.

No, you don't want to have kit lens only :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 _gossip_girl_

All depends from.. your budget to be honest :)
    Take a look on:
    Sigma 15-30
    Nikkor 14-24
    Nikkor 10-24
    Tokina 16-28
    Tokina 11-16
    Sigma 10-20
    and maybe something more narrow e.g. Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Nikkor 35mm 1.8 or maybe Nikkor 18-300mm.

No, you don't want to have kit lens only :)

What is the difference between eg 10-20 and 18-300mm?
    Would they be for different purpose/ object?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I reckon you'll be fine to start with the kit lense but definitely get a 50mm 1.8, its almost essential at the price or the sigma 30mm 1.4 or Nikkor 35 1.8, a bit more expensive, for low light/sweet bokeh stuff.

After getting used to the camera you'll know what you need.

300mm is the telescoping end of the zoom. i.e. zoomed in, for example, taking pictures of birds. 10mm is at the extreme wide end of the zoom for snapping really wide landscapes or inside a room to get lots of the room in the frame. Apologies if that sounds really basic. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 _gossip_girl_

I reckon you'll be fine to start with the kit lense but definitely get a 50mm 1.8, its almost essential at the price or the sigma 30mm 1.4 or Nikkor 35 1.8, a bit more expensive, for low light/sweet bokeh stuff.

After getting used to the camera you'll know what you need.

300mm is the telescoping end of the zoom. i.e. zoomed in, for example, taking pictures of birds. 10mm is at the extreme wide end of the zoom for snapping really wide landscapes or inside a room to get lots of the room in the frame. Apologies if that sounds really basic. :p

I'm so sorry for "stupid" questions but it sounds like science to me;-) so which one would be best for landscapes, street, holiday photography etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I'm so sorry for "stupid" questions but it sounds like science to me;-) so which one would be best for landscapes, street, holiday photography etc.?

Apologies, the kit lens 18-50mm will cover a lot of what you'll need. If you are complete novice buy a beginners book for the plane.

This will give you an idea of the zoom of that lens.

zoom2s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of taking up photography in my spare time. Is this a decent camera to start with?

Canon SX410

It's half price in Argos' new catalogue that just went live this morning: http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=4294623&authToken=

My budget to start with would be around the €200 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

To be honest it wouldnt be my recommendation. Id suggest a used decent dslr, Nikon D80 for example.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

5uspect wrote: »

Maybe i missed something but the new one on amazon is £280 / €400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Thanks guys.

Is the D80 a good choice then?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Silva360

Techmaster wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

Is the D80 a good choice then?

The D80 is a 10 year old camera. Good for it's day, but not when compared to most modern DSLRs.

It's easier to decide what camera you might want when you decide what it is exactly you want to do with it. The Canon you mention is a do everything camera, but is unlikely to do everything very well. The D80 will do a lot well, but you will be constrained by the lens you buy to go with it unless that lens fits the bill for what you want to shoot.

This is a good read if you think photography is something that you think you might like to take seriously. I'm sure many can relate to it....

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2010/05/letter-to-george.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Studio120

This may seem like a far out suggestion......these days, but have you considered shooting on film.

There are plenty of film cameras and lenses on adverts.ie well within your budget and it's still a better way to learn in my opinion.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

bren2002 wrote: »
    Maybe i missed something but the new one on amazon is £280 / €400.

No, that was my fault. There was a bargain alert here recently for that 1100D for around 200ish. I'd definitely look for a newish entry level SLR. There's been great improvements in. Oth sensor technology and displays to make me wary of going near a camera as old as a D80.

It's worth keeping an eye out tho:
    http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Canon-1100D-Digital-Camera-3-5-5-6/product/B004MPQXZA

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Silva360 wrote: »
    This is a good read if you think photography is something that you think you might like to take seriously. I'm sure many can relate to it....

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2010/05/letter-to-george.html

I need to be extra careful, I'm on step 9 and step 10 has already started giving me nightmares!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

looking to buy a dslr starter to take photos at sporting events and family events and general use. would love to take photography up as a career so unsure on budget maybe 400 dont mind it being a used camera either

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Thinking of getting a new camera as I have my current one about 7 years now and to be honest it's not that great. It's the canon powershot SD1100 IS. The one I'm looking at is the canon powershot SX700 - any opinions on this? Bearing in mind that I know nothing about cameras but would like one that has a better zoom and better quality basically but still compact.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Hey lads,

So I'm as broke as a joke and I want to upgrade from my 6.7 Mp beast of a fuji, now 300-350 is the most I can justify on a new system, does anybody have any recommendations on what cameras I should be looking at on adverts ? (I'm thinking of going second hand, oh and I want to use old m45 lenses and I'm looking for something that could shoot video)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭sennah

I've quite a few of those dreadful, dreadful One4All vouchers lying about so I was hoping to dump them on a good DSLR in Argos. I've nearly €600 worth of vouchers in all and could stretch to maybe €650. Argos probably isn't the best place to go looking but I know I can spend the vouchers there and they have a few units to select from on the site

Without going into too much and without coming across as naive, I was hoping to list the models here (can't link) and just hear which one other posters here would quickly select and why. I like to do a bit of outdoor landscapes / seascapes and I enjoy making panoramics scenes (with software, not with the camera). There's other scenes I enjoy messing about in but I guess the basic lenses included with the cameras might limit me for a time. With a bit of money, I'll upgrade later to better lenses if needs be. I want to be able to shoot basic video also and all the cameras below seem to have the option despite what the Argos site might say

The choices I can afford are as follows (Argos > Photography > DSLR's):

> Sony SLTA58K 20.1MP DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens (€336.99)
    > Nikon D3200 24MP DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens (€399.99)
    > Canon EOS 1200D DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm Lens (€429.99)
    > Nikon D3300 24MP DSLR Camera with 18-55mm VR II Lens (€485.99)
    > Nikon D3300 DSLR Camera With 18-55mm Lens (€499.99)
    > Canon EOS 100D DSLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (€509.99)
    > Nikon D5200 24MP DSLR Camera with 18-55mm VR II Lens (599.99)
    > Sony SLTA58K DSLR Camera with 18-55mm & 55-200mm Lenses (€605.99)
    > Nikon D3300 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm & 55-200mm Lens (€659.99)
    > Canon EOS 100D DSLR Camera with 18-55mm & 75-300mm Lenses (€659.99)

I'd be delighted to hear which one you'd pick, might there be somewhere else to buy, fine points on any model, lense pricing and options Nikon v Canon. Again, I don't want to appear naive by just throwing up a list and asking which one. I've no doubt that I could pick any of the cameras above and get many, many months of enjoyment from it and I don't feel it's a huge amount of money to jump into basic DSLR photography. If I select one, I'm going to get at least 2 years good use from it and if it's a case there's features missing that I'd liked to have had, I can look at upgrading then

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

sennah wrote: »
    I've quite a few of those dreadful, dreadful One4All vouchers lying about so I was hoping to dump them on a good DSLR in Argos. I've nearly €600 worth of vouchers in all and could stretch to maybe €650. Argos probably isn't the best place to go looking but I know I can spend the vouchers there and they have a few units to select from on the site

Without going into too much and without coming across as naive, I was hoping to list the models here (can't link) and just hear which one other posters here would quickly select and why. I like to do a bit of outdoor landscapes / seascapes and I enjoy making panoramics scenes (with software, not with the camera). There's other scenes I enjoy messing about in but I guess the basic lenses included with the cameras might limit me for a time. With a bit of money, I'll upgrade later to better lenses if needs be. I want to be able to shoot basic video also and all the cameras below seem to have the option despite what the Argos site might say

The choices I can afford are as follows (Argos > Photography > DSLR's):

> Sony SLTA58K 20.1MP DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens (€336.99)
    > Nikon D3200 24MP DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens (€399.99)
    > Canon EOS 1200D DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm Lens (€429.99)
    > Nikon D3300 24MP DSLR Camera with 18-55mm VR II Lens (€485.99)
    > Nikon D3300 DSLR Camera With 18-55mm Lens (€499.99)
    > Canon EOS 100D DSLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (€509.99)
    > Nikon D5200 24MP DSLR Camera with 18-55mm VR II Lens (599.99)
    > Sony SLTA58K DSLR Camera with 18-55mm & 55-200mm Lenses (€605.99)
    > Nikon D3300 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm & 55-200mm Lens (€659.99)
    > Canon EOS 100D DSLR Camera with 18-55mm & 75-300mm Lenses (€659.99)

I'd be delighted to hear which one you'd pick, might there be somewhere else to buy, fine points on any model, lense pricing and options Nikon v Canon. Again, I don't want to appear naive by just throwing up a list and asking which one. I've no doubt that I could pick any of the cameras above and get many, many months of enjoyment from it and I don't feel it's a huge amount of money to jump into basic DSLR photography. If I select one, I'm going to get at least 2 years good use from it and if it's a case there's features missing that I'd liked to have had, I can look at upgrading then

Thanks

I don't know anything about Nikon or Sony, so my reply only relates to the Canon. You've really only posted two options in terms of bodies, 1200D & 100D.

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/roundup/cameracomparison-roundup/canon-eos-1200d-vs-canon-eos-100d-61366#GyvwKfP54uHA2SG8.99
    http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-100D-vs-Canon-EOS-1200D

Two comparison reviews basically boil it down to decide on your budget.
    I would be spending the money on second hand to get more bang for my buck, but choosing between those two I'd go for the 1200D body only or with kit lens, plus buy a 50mm 1.8f lens. That'll get you started.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭sennah

Tiriel wrote: »
    I don't know anything about Nikon or Sony, so my reply only relates to the Canon. You've really only posted two options in terms of bodies, 1200D & 100D.

-
    -

Two comparison reviews basically boil it down to decide on your budget.
    I would be spending the money on second hand to get more bang for my buck, but choosing between those two I'd go for the 1200D body only or with kit lens, plus buy a 50mm 1.8f lens. That'll get you started.

Thanks Tiriel and sorry for missing this thread when I posted mine

snapsort.com looks like an excellent resource and very well laid out too. I'll line up the options I listed and compare them one by one on it tonight

About buying second hand, I'm limited to where I can buy because I'm using One4All vouchers and a new camera from Argos is a good way to get rid of them Once'n4All! I realise too that many here work with one system or brand so I'm not too worried about whether it's Canon or Nikon, I'll happily settle on either or others going on opinions here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Thanks Tiriel and sorry for missing this thread when I posted mine

snapsort.com looks like an excellent resource and very well laid out too. I'll line up the options I listed and compare them one by one on it tonight

About buying second hand, I'm limited to where I can buy because I'm using One4All vouchers and a new camera from Argos is a good way to get rid of them Once'n4All! I realise too that many here work with one system or brand so I'm not too worried about whether it's Canon or Nikon, I'll happily settle on either or others going on opinions here

I'd strongly advise to go and actually handle each camera if you can. The all feel completly different when holding them! When you go for one make, Sony, Nikon or Cannon, you will be stuck with that system. I shoot Nikon and when I pick up a mates cannon I'm lost!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I've quite a few of those dreadful, dreadful One4All vouchers lying about so I was hoping to dump them on a good DSLR in Argos.

Thanks

The vouchers work in Currys too. As mentioned above handle the camera before you buy. Some feel better in your hands than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kcera

Looking for a camera for taking pictures in the mountains,of scenery etc,Ideally something that I can upload pictures straight to my laptop.

Would have around 200 euro to spend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Pecker31

Hi just wondering would someone give any recommendation in a digital camera for under €200. I am trying to get into photography and going on holidays and really want a good camera for pics.

I was looking at the Canon lxus 160 or the Nixon s7000. The canon isn't getting great reviews tho.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 RuntasticGirl

Hi,
    I have recently picked up photography as a hobby over the summer and I have become very interested. I have been using an old camera my friend has (SONY DSLR a900). It is a really easy camera to use and has a high resolution but it is now discontinued....
    I am looking for some advice on which camera would be next best.. Can you help?

RuntasticGirl
    x

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Hi,
    I have recently picked up photography as a hobby over the summer and I have become very interested. I have been using an old camera my friend has (SONY DSLR a900). It is a really easy camera to use and has a high resolution but it is now discontinued....

RuntasticGirl
    x

What is wrong with the Sony you are using or do you have to give it back? If your friend has a range of lenses for the Sony then consider getting a body that will take Sony, if you can borrow their lenses. There are used bodies available.

If you are really going to get into photography then pretty much forget about the camera itself. Bodies come and go rather too quickly. What you want to look at is the range of glass which will suit you. That is what you will keep. I am using glass that is from the 80's. The camera body will have bells and whistles but most experienced photographers rely on the basics. My most used body has all sorts of stuff on it, like fifty something focus points (I use one), Liveview but I never turn it on, loads of clever stuff to process photo's in camera but I could not care less as all my processing is done in post.

Look at the lenses that you want to use and are likely to want. The big names of Nikon and Canon have the most. Then there are third party manufacturers like Sigma, who make glass which will mount on most popular bodies. When you have picked your range of glass then get a body which feels comfortable that fits it.

I know this advice will probably be ignored and most will go for the new Gazmacromic Image Manipulator Program (GIMP) and the brand new Chromatic Raster Aperture Pixel (CRAP) features that the sales people push as important, but they aren't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 RuntasticGirl

Hey CabanSail,

I have to give it back to my friend as she is going travelling. she only has the one 35mm lense.
    Your advice is really helpful because I was focusing more on a good body rather than lense.

Thank you so much

RuntasticGirl

• Registered Users Posts: 19,977 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Hi,

RuntasticGirl
    x

You could take a look at the Micro 4/3 system. You will generally mostly get recommendations for Nikon or Cannon on Boards.

They tend to be a bit smaller and lighter than full sized DSLRs

http://camerasize.com/compare/#197,521

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

Flip flopping daily on getting a 7D MkII now or continue to save for a 1DX. Will be used almost purely for sport in conjunction with a 70-200 2.8 IS II and maybe some day a 400mm 2.8.

The difference in fps between the two wouldn't sway me but it's the low light performance of the 1DX and overall quality that makes me unsure.

Advertisement