Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Hi all,

Looking for purchase my first DSLR (and decent camera) with a budget of around 400 euro.

Suggestions welcome

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm going on holiday and will bring all my SLR gear but I know many times I wont want to lug it all around so I want a small camera that's small enough to fit easily in my pocket, but better than my phone with some good features.

I'd quite like something with some modern smart features. I always look at the Amazon best sellers here - wondering if anyone can advice me?

I don't want to spend much, budget around €150 maybe a little more for something special.

Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

I am currently looking at a used Canon 650D for sale for €650 including the following :

- Canon 650D DSLR DSLR Body
    - Canon 18-55mm EF-S IS II Lens
    - 2x Canon LP-E8 Batteries & Charger
    - 3x Hoya 58mm Filters (UV, Cir-PL & ND8)
    - 4GB SDHC Memory Card
    - Canon Camera Strap
    -Shutter count : 36,147

Seem like a good deal or is there any other cameras new and or better to get for around the €600 - €700 mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,977 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm going on holiday and will bring all my SLR gear but I know many times I wont want to lug it all around so I want a small camera that's small enough to fit easily in my pocket, but better than my phone with some good features.

I'd quite like something with some modern smart features. I always look at the Amazon best sellers here - wondering if anyone can advice me?

I don't want to spend much, budget around €150 maybe a little more for something special.

Any tips?

I would say your budget is a bit low for something that would better a phone. Speaking of which, you might get a used Nokia 1020 for around that amount. That would be my recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Zascar wrote: »

Any tips?
    I use a Canon Ixus that I've had for a good few years now - it does the job :) Size wise it's not too bulky, it has fallen numerous times and has never cracked or had any damage done. Decent low light capability and file size etc. is good enough to allow for some editing/cropping afterwards. Having said that, I've really begun to use my phone more and more (HTC one M8) - though file sizes are smaller and less editing can be done.

Difference between bringing a phone and the compact on holiday is if you're on a boat/horseback/some other random place where dropping the device is likely - at least with the compact you can have a wrist strap on it and no harm done. Drop the phone and it's almost guaranteed goodbye!

• Advertisement

OriginV wrote: »
    I am currently looking at a used Canon 650D for sale for €650 including the following :

- Canon 650D DSLR DSLR Body
    - Canon 18-55mm EF-S IS II Lens
    - 2x Canon LP-E8 Batteries & Charger
    - 3x Hoya 58mm Filters (UV, Cir-PL & ND8)
    - 4GB SDHC Memory Card
    - Canon Camera Strap
    -Shutter count : 36,147

Seem like a good deal or is there any other cameras new and or better to get for around the €600 - €700 mark?

I would rather go new and get the 700D for €699 (was €759) http://www.harveynorman.ie/digital-cameras/digital-slr/canon-700d-dslr.html

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

cnocbui wrote: »
    I would say your budget is a bit low for something that would better a phone. Speaking of which, you might get a used Nokia 1020 for around that amount. That would be my recommendation.

So I found this: Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ35. Leica lens, manual controls, image stabiliser, creative filters,3" screen, wide lens with good zoom. The reviews are very good.

Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, and it's in Argos for €129!
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1944000/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436.htm

The most recent ones just add touchschreen, wifi and gps and is triple the price :)

Relative Sensor size:

TZ35sensor_zps1234dda3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Cork_girl wrote: »
    I would rather go new and get the 700D for €699 (was €759) http://www.harveynorman.ie/digital-cameras/digital-slr/canon-700d-dslr.html
    Yeah I was looking at the 700D would I be better going for the Nikon D5200 it seems to have better specs?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yeah I was looking at the 700D would I be better going for the Nikon D5200 it seems to have better specs?

Keep a steady eye on argos for random price changes. I got my 700D for €365

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Try them in your hand. Specs are very close these days, so unless there is a very specific requirement that you need, the decision often comes down to ergonomics - I prefer a thumbwheel at the back, so went with Nikon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Hi all,

It is my birthday next week and I am looking at purchasing my first DLSR for myself. Any advice on which one? I will mainly be using it for outdoor images such as landscapes, street etc

A budget of approx. 400 euro

Also, is there any training courses online? or should I just get out there and shoot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭clownface95

Hi I want to buy a camera for some aircraft spotting and for outdoor photos , I've never bought a camera before I'm a total noob ! An suggestions on what camera I should buy?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭MagicHumanDoll

Hmm, the Canon Powershot SX510 would potentially be a decent start. 30x optical zoom so you should get some decent aircraft shots, and same for the outdoors. It's cheap enough due to the fact it's the older version of the new SX520 (which has 42x zoom).
    The biggest downside though is the fact it's a bridge camera, so no interchangeable lenses!

Hi I want to buy a camera for some aircraft spotting and for outdoor photos , I've never bought a camera before I'm a total noob ! An suggestions on what camera I should buy?

Thanks

What is your budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Hi, I'm very new to photography. I have a Nikon D3100 and am about to start a photography course.

I also have a young daughter who is very much the arty type, I thought it would be nice for the 2 of us to head off on little trips taking photos together.

So with a budget of 50 to 60 euro, what would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

boobar wrote: »
    Hi, I'm very new to photography. I have a Nikon D3100 and am about to start a photography course.

I also have a young daughter who is very much the arty type, I thought it would be nice for the 2 of us to head off on little trips taking photos together.

So with a budget of 50 to 60 euro, what would you recommend?

If she has a smartphone, perhaps start with that. It has the advantage of:

- preview screen
    - may be already used to using it
    - may be used to accessing it on a computer
    - loads of apps available, with creative templates and presets
    - can share with her friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

b318isp wrote: »
    If she has a smartphone, perhaps start with that. It has the advantage of:

- preview screen
    - may be already used to using it
    - may be used to accessing it on a computer
    - loads of apps available, with creative templates and presets
    - can share with her friends

Thanks, she doesn't have a smart phone ....wouldn't be keen on giving her a smart phone until she reaches her teens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,906 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you could give her an old one without a SIM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Hi all ,

I'm looking for a compact that would be good for video and as a regular point and shoot camera but needs to be compact .sub €500 , not bothered about GPS or WIFI or social media connectivity . Any suggestions?

Sony RX100 for €479 ? Panasonic TZ60 €377 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Ah, yep, it can be a nightmare. :D DSLRs are a different kettle altogether.

MP is no indication of quality. As above, optical zoom is generally better than digital. I wouldn't worry too much about battery as some modern rechargeable AAs or AAAs are excellent.

Snapsort is great for comparing side-by-side, and should make a decision easier -

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-SX510-HS-vs-Nikon-Coolpix-L830

I'd be skeptical about some their comparisons. Just for the fun of it I done a comparison of 2 cameras I have, A Samsung wb200f point and shoot and the mirrorless canon eos m.

In reality the eos m is a far superior camera but these guys have the wb200f as the winner :eek:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-M-vs-Samsung-WB200F

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Alltherage

Looking at the scoring the Samsung is picking up points for the lens where the canon is rated as body only, that's what caused that.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Kas2010

HI can anybody recommend a decent starter camera for a girl age 12 who is interested in vivid photography please? € 200 is the limit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Kas2010 wrote: »
    HI can anybody recommend a decent starter camera for a girl age 12 who is interested in vivid photography please? € 200 is the limit

I am not sure what you mean by "vivid photography"?

How well does she use a computer and does she have access to image editing software?

Is she careful with equipment or, like many that age, a bit accident prone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Hey everyone,

While I've been using a borrowed EOS1000D for the last couple of months, I'm more or less a noob when it comes to photography.
    I'm looking for a few suggestions on what to buy.

I'm looking for a beginner to intermediate DSLR, as opposed to a compact/fixed chassis - I'd like to have the option of using different lenses in the future.
    My budget would be ~€500, including a lens/SD card, whether it's a kit or not.
    Complexity or user-friendliness isn't really an issue.
    The main thing I'm looking for is something that will also be able to record 1080p video at 60fps which also has an external mic input.
    Noise suppression isn't an issue as I'll be using an external mic.

So far, the Nikon D3300 seems tick all the boxes. The only downside I see with this model for me is that the video mode runs for a max of 10mins on High Quality, or 20mins on Normal Quality. I'd prefer something that could continue capturing indefinitely, or at least until the SD card is full. Though I realize I might end up stretching outside my budget.
    The next on the list would be the D5200 - but of course this only captures at 1080i 60fps - not ideal. Or would I really notice much of a difference in video output between the D3300 and the D5200?

Sorry for the long post - thanks in advance for any suggestions. :)

A secondhand Panasonic GH2 then hack the firmware to get unlimited recording time.

Nearly all DSLR style cameras imported to Europe are limited to 30min recoding time because of tax issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭CK73

Does anyone have any experience with mirrorless cameras? I'm thinking of investing in one and although I know they do have limitations with regards to macro and speed photography, they do seem to be brilliant in every other way and possibly the future in photography.

I'm also not sure if it would be better to go for fuji or olympus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

I have a Sony RX 100 ii and it takes amazing photos, very clear and precise. Some of the best I've seen. I wouldn't have a great knowledge of cameras and specs but I don't think you need to with this camera. It does all the work for you. It's great that you can just throw it into your bag and off you go. Big thumbs up from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

CK73 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience with mirrorless cameras? I'm thinking of investing in one and although I know they do have limitations with regards to macro and speed photography, they do seem to be brilliant in every other way and possibly the future in photography.

I'm also not sure if it would be better to go for fuji or olympus?

I've only experience with m4/3. The only advantage was size. It lacked everywhere else compared to a DSLR.

Advertisement