Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭kz44

I would also like to know the answer re the above. want a god make also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'm leaning towards this model now - Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 238 pounds sterling with discount voucher and cash back from Sony. Through research I can see that Nikon Coolpix S9700 is a pretty solid camera if anyone is looking for a value budget option (that is if you can find a good deal).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

corvus4906 wrote: »
    Nikon 3200 with an 18-55mm lens is currently the best beginner/entry-level camera. I'd say it's probably about 350 in shops.

would recommend buying on eglobalcentral (online)

Gonna go with that one, thanks.

Would one need to buy a memory card too and if so, which would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Gonna go with that one, thanks.

Would one need to buy a memory card too and if so, which would you recommend?

This will do the job fine for that cam. Spend more, get faster transfer rates or more storage.

http://www.eglobalcentral.eu/lexar-200x-32gb-30mb-s-professional-sd-memory-card.html

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Nolic

Hello!

I am a beginner who has a great interest in photography.I have NO idea which camera to begin with. I tried to research which camera is best, but like the reviews say, every photographer has their own preference. I do not mind spending up to €400, but I just want to make sure I am getting a great camera.

If anybody has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

In that budget, get the Nikon 3200 and 18-55mm kit (standard beginner kit) will do all you want to learn with and last years. can move on from that over time but thats the best entry level kit at the moment, bar none. And i'm a Canon user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 _gossip_girl_

Hi, I'm looking to buy new camera... And I know nothing about good cameras (or any cameras)
    at the moment I am considering Nikon D3200 or Cannon EOS 100D - which one is better? Or maybe I should choose some other "model" within this price range?
    Any suggestions and help is very much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Hi, I'm looking to buy new camera... And I know nothing about good cameras (or any cameras)
    at the moment I am considering Nikon D3200 or Cannon EOS 100D - which one is better? Or maybe I should choose some other "model" within this price range?
    Any suggestions and help is very much appreciated!

This might help. http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-100D-vs-Nikon-D3200

Try both out in the shop. You might prefer the handling/feel of one over the other. Both have a great range of lenses and a good second hand market for them. If you're buying it with a kit lens, usually a 18-50mm and you have some spare cash, buy a 50mm f1.8. They're very cheap and a great lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭brennra

Hi there,

I am planning on buying a camera shortly and wanted to get some advice.
    I have checked out the Canon EOS 1200D, and wanted to know if anyone has it/would recommend it?

If there are any other camera's you would suggest for a first camera it would be greatly appreciated. I want something good for holidays etc but dont want to spend over 600e.

Cheers,
    Brennra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Hey lads, what one do you think is better
    Nikon D3300 or D5200 ?
    From the reviews I have seen the D5200 is better but then its way older and will have lesser features, also it makes much noise when focusing.

Thank you for great tips:-)
    In regards to quality of the photographs- is one better than another or should I look at something completely different?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Hey lads, what one do you think is better
    Nikon D3300 or D5200 ?
    From the reviews I have seen the D5200 is better but then its way older and will have lesser features, also it makes much noise when focusing.

It's the lens that'll make the noise, those bodies don't have focus motors.

Not much in it - http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D3300-vs-Nikon-D5200

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

It's the lens that'll make the noise, those bodies don't have focus motors.

Not much in it - http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D3300-vs-Nikon-D5200

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Nikon-D5200-vs-Nikon-D3300

d5200 seems just that little bit better althout the battery life isnt as good. Huge amount more focus points would swing it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 anuradha

I have confusion between Canon EOS 1200 D and Nikon D5300.
    I compared them in snapsort and found Nikon D5300 has more features.
    Nikoon D5300 is around 800 euro where as 1200D is around 400 euro.
    I use it mainly for home photography and often videos.
    I am in lot of confusion which one to choose between those two.
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Hi guys,
    So now I'm between Cannon eos 100D and Nikon D3300.
    And I'm reading all those compare ament websites and every time When I think I've reached my decision ... Im back to the leaving point.
    After reading all design specifications what really matters to me is quality of the photos and intensity of the colour/details. Is that true that pixels not always matter (24 in Nikon vs 18.1 in cannon)? Also what higher pixel denisity 501 ppi in cannon vs 333.2 ppi in Nikon means?
    And taking all this to consideration which one will give me better photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Hi guys,
    So now I'm between Cannon eos 100D and Nikon D3300.
    And I'm reading all those compare ament websites and every time When I think I've reached my decision ... Im back to the leaving point.
    After reading all design specifications what really matters to me is quality of the photos and intensity of the colour/details. Is that true that pixels not always matter (24 in Nikon vs 18.1 in cannon)? Also what higher pixel denisity 501 ppi in cannon vs 333.2 ppi in Nikon means?
    And taking all this to consideration which one will give me better photos?

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what body you'll get.
    Think long term and take into consideration a few things:
    - what is your favorite subject to photograph?
    - what's your favorite focal length? (if you don't know yet, that's ok)
    - do you prefer zoom lenses of primes?

Once you decide that you prefer Nikon, then take a look on Nikkor lenses. Same story with Canon. You will either invest in quality lenses or you'll get Sigma, Tamron or Tokina lenses for Canon or Nikon.
    It's personal choice, but long term what matters is what lenses you're going to buy. I still have 12 MPixel camera and I'm very happy with it and my customers are happy too.

Good luck.

Not sure about focal length but I like to take my camera when I go somewhere so it's mostly nature, buildings, situations etc.
    Anything really that looks interesting or different but mostly outdoor.

So the photos have to be detailed and colours true&vibrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Not sure about focal length but I like to take my camera when I go somewhere so it's mostly nature, buildings, situations etc.

For nature I would pick wide angle lens. For crop sensor you will have to get something between 10mm and 15mm max. For full frame between 15mm and 24mm in my humble opinion.

Best lens for Canon (EF-S / crop) is Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 (or Sigma 15-30, or Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 or Tokina 11-16, or Canon fish 15mm or Canon 14mm - what budget you have?), next in line for different purposes would be 17-55 2.8 IS, it's not that wide, but versatile and fast.

In relation to colours - this part is up to you as during post-processing you can adjust lots of things as long as you'll shot in RAW.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭maxim

Having had a 'point and shoot' compact camera for a few years, decided it's time to go to the next stage, and was thinking of a 'bridge' camera, as I'm not sure I would know what to do with all the lenses etc on a dslr. Mainly want it for holiday photos, straightforward photos etc. Was wondering if any of you have any recommendations for a bridge camera, and what to look out for, I probably would be looking around the €200 mark.
    Thanks for your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You might want to look at the Micro 4/3 mirrorless system, then, as you can get smaller and lighter lenses and bodies which make for more convenient portability vs a DSLR. They tend to be more expensive than entry level DSLRs, though.

E-M10%20D3200_zps5kknxpp5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nothrowaway

I'm currently looking to buy a new full frame camera. I'm torn between the Canon 6d and the Nikon D610, leaning towards the Nikon. I used to have a Canon 550D and a couple of lenses, equipment, etc., but had to sell it for financial reasons. I've come full circle, and am looking to get a nice set-up, and am basically free to start again, as a Nikon man, or a Canon man. Any advice, anything I should know?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

maxim wrote: »
    Having had a 'point and shoot' compact camera for a few years, decided it's time to go to the next stage, and was thinking of a 'bridge' camera, as I'm not sure I would know what to do with all the lenses etc on a dslr. Mainly want it for holiday photos, straightforward photos etc. Was wondering if any of you have any recommendations for a bridge camera, and what to look out for, I probably would be looking around the €200 mark.
    Thanks for your time.

I just bought a Panasonic FZ72 bridge camera with the 60x Optical zoom lens. I also considered the cheaper Panasonic and the Nikon and Sony cameras within my budget. I had previously been using a Nikon Coolpix compact with 18x zoom.

Many years ago as a student, I had an Olympus SLR camera and remember lugging various lenses around but I used the 55-300mm zoom quite a lot so I decided that a long zoom lens would be the most useful feature for my needs. I also wanted something reasonable for using as a wide angle lens and the Panasonic lens starts at equivalent to 20mm.
    I didn't want to go for a DSLR as budget and family constraints wouldn't really make it worthwhile so opted for a bridge camera and an inexpensive lightweight tripod. My partner might want to take the occasional photo but doesn't 'do' technology at all so needs a very simple auto/click camera.

I must say, I'm really pleased with the Panasonic as it fits my requirements very well. I was only put off the Nikon and Sony as you need to purchase batteries and having kids, batteries often get 'borrowed'! The Panasonic comes with a rechargeable battery so you just plug it in the charger for a couple of hours occasionally.
    I take mostly scenery, wildlife, gardens, family holiday type photos and upload my pics onto Flickr so that I can share them with family abroad and the quality is excellent. I think it's incredibly good value for money and it does exactly what I need it it to.
    I'm mostly using it in Auto at the moment but intend to spend some time playing with the manual settings in due course. I live near the coast and used the panoramic mode recently whilst it was on the tripod and the ease of use to get a great picture was astonishing. You just set it to panoramic mode, press and hold the shutter and gently swivel the camera following the bar on the screen. So very different to the old days of stitching pictures together!
    All in all, I'm very chuffed.

Hope this helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nothrowaway

sebphoto wrote: »
    For nature I would pick wide angle lens. For crop sensor you will have to get something between 10mm and 15mm max. For full frame between 15mm and 24mm in my humble opinion.

Best lens for Canon (EF-S / crop) is Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 (or Sigma 15-30, or Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 or Tokina 11-16, or Canon fish 15mm or Canon 14mm - what budget you have?), next in line for different purposes would be 17-55 2.8 IS, it's not that wide, but versatile and fast.

In relation to colours - this part is up to you as during post-processing you can adjust lots of things as long as you'll shot in RAW.

The nikon has a slightly better crop factor, so it'll give a slightly wider angle given the same focal length of lens.

Thanks for your reply MinnieMinx, I had been looking at the Panasonic, but unlike you I was put off by the rechargeable battery, do you know if it is possible to buy additional battery packs so you can change batteries when it runs out?

maxim wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply MinnieMinx, I had been looking at the Panasonic, but unlike you I was put off by the rechargeable battery, do you know if it is possible to buy additional battery packs so you can change batteries when it runs out?

Yes, you can get them from Amazon for about £15.

I think the battery lasts ages on a full charge. I took at least 350 shots before it dropped to 1 bar. It doesn't take long to charge it either.

Thanks Minnie Minx for your help. I have decided (eventually) to invest in the FZ72! I'm sure that I will also be on the 'auto' settings for a while until I get a chance to experiment!

I'm glad I helped. Perhaps you can PM me if you make any amazing discoveries that you think might help me take better pictures. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Been reading this thread with interest as I'm also in the process of buying a bridge camera - mainly for nature photography - which would include distant and some close up shots. I'm not too excited about lugging large and intricate to operate camera kit so thinking of a bridge camera as an alternative, besides I'm not really big into photography , more of a casual / opportunist snapper with an interest in wildlife / nature observation. From reading earlier postings on bridge cameras sounds like I should be looking at the Panasonic LUMIX FZ70/FZ72 as serious contenders ? I've seen a review recently in a wildlife magazine of the Nikon Coolpix P610, which, although dearer seems to be another option to consider ?
    Any views on which of these should be worth closer scrutiny - is the additional cost of the Nikon worth it ? Seems from reviews that the Panasonic ticks most of the boxes for my requirements and for less money ? But I wouldn't be up to speed on understanding the technical specs of either brand of which has the upper hand in the specification stakes ?

• Advertisement

I have decided to get nikon d5300 ...but I'm not sure if I want kit lens or do I want to invest the difference in better lens.
    My question is- what lens would be best for travel photography?
    I'm beginner... haven't had camera like that before, so longin for lens that will stay on my camera most of the time. Any suggestions?

Advertisement