Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU UGM 2012 (rescheduled for Tuesday, Week 10 at 7pm, location TBC)

Options
  • 07-03-2012 11:32pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭

***EDIT: Changed motion Re Irish to reflect typo, I'm taking the posters how pointed this out at their word.***

Date: Monday 12th March 2012
    Time: 2:30pm
    Where: The Stables
    Quorum: 200

AGENDA

1. Apologies
    2. Minutes of Previous Meetings
    3. Matters Arising
    4. Officers Report
      - Questions for Officers
    5. Review of Sabbatical Officers Wages
    6. Motions and Resolutions
      - Ratification of ULSU Audited Accounts for the year ended 30th September 2011.
      - Ratification of Auditor:-Pat Carroll & Co.
      - Motion on Retaining Services of Communications Officer
      - Motion to Reduce Quorum of a General Meeting to 100
      - Motion to Recognise Irish as an Official Language of the Union
      - Motion to Reduce wages of Sabbatical Officers by €1/hour
      - Motion to Reduce wages of Sabbatical Officers during Handover/Training
      - Motion re additonal articles for draft constituion
      - Motion re Sabbats to wear silly hats.
    7. Items For Discussion
      - New Student Centre
    8. AOB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Where can we get the wording for the motions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Do they purposefully pick awkward times for these meetings? Just never seem to be free for them...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Jester252 wrote: »
    Where can we get the wording for the motions

I assume the SU, but I don't know for sure. I just copied out the Agenda here to get some discussion going.
    Cydoniac wrote: »
    Do they purposefully pick awkward times for these meetings? Just never seem to be free for them...

Yeah, this is an awkward one alright, don't get why they don't have it on Wednesday afternoon like the EGM. Granted it won't suit everyone, but Wednesday's are generally pretty free for most people.

The Stables Why? Are they trying to get student in with free drink ala the AGM
    Motion re additonal articles for draft constituion.
    What is this are there articles to be added? Or what is need to be put forward as an article.
    Motion on Retaining Services of Communications Officer. Is that to bring back the position or just to make sure an focal and ulfm safe?
    The irish one will past no bother but does that mean that every email we get will have to be in irish as well?
    100 seams to be a big drop IMO.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'd like to see the one on Irish pass.

The one on the Comms Officer is unclear from the agenda. When I read it I thought it meant bringing back the sabbat position, but now that you've said it Jester it makes more sense for it to mean keeping An Focal and ULFM safe.

I'd be in favour of reducing wages during handover week, and wary about doing the €1/hour cut.

And whoever put that shíte about silly hats on the agenda would want a serious kick in the hole.

The Stables also seems like an utterly stupid place to hold it. Surely they could have got Jean Monnet or something again. It's going to be stupid unless the Stables have agreed to close the place for 3 hours during their peak dinner time business hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭johnryano

Date: Monday 12th March 2012
    Time: 2:30pm
    Where: The Stables
    [/QUOTE]
    really? in a pub?
    Quorum: 200
    AGENDA
    1. Apologies
    2. Minutes of Previous Meetings
    3. Matters Arising
    4. Officers Report
      - Questions for Officers
    5. Review of Sabbatical Officers Wages
    6. Motions and Resolutions
      - Ratification of ULSU Audited Accounts for the year ended 30th September 2011.
      - Ratification of Auditor:-Pat Carroll & Co.
      wow, sign of a times
      - Motion to Recognise Irish as the Official Language of the Union
      seriously? seriously? can we even assume 10% of the union can speak irish fluently? no to this one 100%
      sabbatical wage should be minimum wage and working week 36 hours
      they're ridiculous enough
    7. Items For Discussion
      - New Student Centre
      how about free drink, free drugs, and a cure to cancer?
    8. AOB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Silly hats. Seriously? Sounds like something Sid would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

The Stables Why?

How are they expecting to keep people in the courtyard so ensure quorum remains high enough?
    The irish one will past no bother but does that mean that every email we get will have to be in irish as well?

Will that mean the whole constitution & every document needs to be translated?
    Where is the money to pay for that to be done going to come from? Probably not the best time to be making a major change like that?

Would also like to point out less than a week

Would also like to point out lest then a week

less than?

jesus at least correct both mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Odd that its in Stables. Not exactly a formal environment?

johnryano wrote: »
    Would also like to point out lest then a week

less than?
    Stupid touchscreen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

If one outcome is decided under motion 5: Review of Sabbatical Officers Wages
    will that make the other motion to reduce sabbats wages by €1 useless.

I don't think that sabbats wages should be reduced by a €1. They do an awful lot of work, and from my own experience, it isn't easy to live on minimum wage always waiting for the next paycheck.
    I think would be fairer to possibly reduce it by 50 cent so that savings can be made for the SU and that the sabbats can still afford to live.
    Obviously they all say they don't take the job for the money, but they still have to live.

If one outcome is decided under motion 5: Review of Sabbatical Officers Wages
    will that make the other motion to reduce sabbats wages by €1 useless.

I don't think that sabbats wages should be reduced by a €1. They do an awful lot of work, and from my own experience, it isn't easy to live on minimum wage always waiting for the next paycheck.
    I think would be fairer to possibly reduce it by 50 cent so that savings can be made for the SU and that the sabbats can still afford to live.
    Obviously they all say they don't take the job for the money, but they still have to live.

minimum wage is fine for someone with no qualification and no work experience. they have no children or dependents. if you think minimum wage is too little to survive on contact your local TD and address that issue.

minimum wage is plenty for a glorified student.

I agree with you IMO the sabbats pay is to keep them

less than?

jesus at least correct both mistakes.
    Happy now
    FYI correct your Quotes

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

irish one is one id liked to see passed, in the future, when we actually have the money to absorb such a cost. who put forward the comms office one?

silly hats one. would that actually be binding if it passed

ARe you serious? For what reason would you like to see Irish become offical langauge of the union? Are there any other than sentimental fenian reasons?

Nobody speaks irish except for 10%
    nobody who speaks irish cannot speak english
    english is the language of this university and the international language of eduation (putting aside mathematics)
    this is a waste of time.
    if this is passed I will request every single document published by the su be translated into irish, i will conduct all conversation with the su in irish and i will speak in council meetings only in irish.

when they run out of paper and money and grow a bloody brain they'll remove this silly sentimental motion.

Nobody speaks irish except for 10%
    no-one except 10%, good start with the immediate contradiction
    nobody who speaks irish cannot speak english
    so, lets encourage a few who can speak english but not irish to learn, having more than one language is beneficial
    english is the language of this university and the international language of eduation (putting aside mathematics)
    again so what, no one is suggesting we become an irish only university, more to have irish and english have the same footing a la the consitution
    this is a waste of time.
    at the moment yes, in the future no
    if this is passed I will request every single document published by the su be translated into irish, i will conduct all conversation with the su in irish and i will speak in council meetings only in irish.
    i seriously doubt that, again its more about having the languages on the same footing

• Advertisement

It is not the role, purpose or remit of the UL to deal with the decline of the Irish langauge. Implementing Irish as the FIRST LANGUAGE of the SU when NONE of the current SU officers are fluent in the language (maybe the next few will be) is completely ridiculous and the sort of farcial poltics you'd expect from a third world african country not here.

The fact that on one hand we want to reduce SU wages by a euro per hour and then introduce a new language into the su on the other shows how bloody naive and stupid the people in this college are. nobody has any sense.

freyners wrote: »
    I agree that a second language is good to have but Irish.
    If it is any cost to the union to put it in place then no. The money can be used for better things. I find it slightly annoying that Irish is pushed on us in all the time. I would like to one of the sabbats use it as a first language

If Irish is the first langauge of the majority of posters on this forum it would explain a lot about the quality of English.

If Irish is the first langauge of the majority of posters on this forum it would explain a lot about the quality of English.
    Look out
    the grammer police is about

so is irish your first language then

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

if this is passed I will request every single document published by the su be translated into irish, i will conduct all conversation with the su in irish and i will speak in council meetings only in irish..
    freyners wrote: »
    i seriously doubt that, again its more about having the languages on the same footing

If you make it the official language of the Union you're just asking for someone who is either: a)annoyed for some reason, b)Has a love affair with Irish, c)trolling. to go in and ask for some documents in Irish that they know aren't readily available. (Is the SU constitution available in Irish please? :D)

Plus, if you make it the official language, stuff like minutes to meetings and agendas would have to be primarily circulated in Irish. You'd bring the place to a (highly amusing) grinding halt!

Polar Ice wrote: »
    You'd bring the place to a (highly amusing) grinding halt!

perhaps there is some method to this madness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Look out
    the grammer police is about

Uh oh...

It was probably intentional, I know

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Wonderful, I have two important meeting I can't miss when this is on. Bawls.

If the Irish motion passes... I'll be glad to be out of UL.
    Hope CO Services are somewhat saved.
    I sense a UL Meme coming along
    iquzErj7mNuCU.gif
    Seems sensible, if unfortunate.
    Seems sensible, if unfortunate.
    Ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

wnolan1992 wrote: »

The motion submitted was to make Irish an official language, not the official language of the Union. I will talk to Kelly tomorrow to correct this.

It is part of a wider campaign over the next few weeks being brought forward by An Cumann Gaelach to sort out the status of the Irish Language in the Union while it is being restructured.

The campaign we are starting will aim to give students a chance to choose which language they wish to use with the union, Irish or English, idealy we would like to see every student given a choice on the registration form in first year where they will indicate their language choice, and they should be able to change their mind at any time after that.

Should a student choose English, then nothing changes for them, should they choose Irish, then they will be part of the Irish Language community on campus. The Irish officer should then be seen as representing that group, and idealy would be elected by/from them, and would be responsible for developing the services available in Irish for the students that want them.

We are fully aware that the SU is broke, and do not expect the Union to pay for translations or any other cost associated with providing services in Irish while it is unable to pay its own staff, Untill SU Finances are sorted An Cumann Gaelach will be willing to pick up the tab on whatever costs arise from this, we are aiming to secure agreement in principle for the funding of those services after the SU does recover financially, the system we would like to see put in place at that time would be one where the amount of funding for providing services in Irish would be proportional to the number of students looking for those services.

It is not being suggested that Irish become the First language of the Union, or that every document/email/service provided by the union must be in Irish.

Votáil ar son na Gaeilge

431548_348973345147954_100001058743785_1082609_1175095084_a.jpg

Advertisement