Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU UGM 2012 (rescheduled for Tuesday, Week 10 at 7pm, location TBC)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Should we decide on a hashtag again like for the EGM? #ULUGM or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Should we decide on a hashtag again like for the EGM? #ULUGM or something?

Don't think we'll be able to as the wireless in the Stables is fairly sh1t....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

OhMSGlive wrote: »

3G brah. O2, 9.99 a month for all you could possibly want. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭johnryano

great advertisment for a university which is supposed to be on the bleeding edge of Irish technological R&D...go with an independent service provider for campus internet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭johnryano

should get the ulsu president to get a better access point put in methinks

• Advertisement

johnryano wrote: »
    should get the ulsu president to get a better access point put in methinks

I'd say that's more the ever-efficient </sarcasm> ITD's responsibility than ULSU's.

Shambles. Utter shambles.

What a disgrace.

g1331566870881874809.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

What happened? Didn't see any sign of it going ahead when i was up earlier.

What a disgrace.

g1331566870881874809.jpg

Wonder how many of the retards that proposed the silly hats bullsh*t actually bothered to show up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Wonder how many of the retards that proposed the silly hats bullsh*t actually bothered to show up?

They were present.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Belly OS

Is anyone really surprised. In my 4 years in UL quorum was reached once at an AGM, EGM, UGM, which ever one they called it at the time.

Even for the EGM this year, most people only wanted to see a fight between Kelly and Paddy.

Its being a long term problem that, unfortunately, I can't see changing :(

They were present.

I stand corrected then. :)
    Belly OS wrote: »
    Is anyone really surprised.

No. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

It's a shame really that so little turn up.

I'd say you would get more at c&s council then an average UGM/EGM/AGM.

Would love to see the quorum reduced (has to be!) being proposed for the referendum (that they are going to hold for the new constitution).

Today really did highlight the need for it.

I'm surprised at the lack of ideas to promote the UGM. Some people I asked didn't even know it was on. I think if you added a motion to increase capitation by €500, you'd get people in the door.

could give out flyers and maybe if they started advertising it now (and hold it on a Wednesday) they could get quorum. People forget about things on Mondays so don't go as a result. At least on Wednesday people can plan to go to these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Here's an idea, stop hosting the damn thing when people have classes!

Slugs wrote: »
    Here's an idea, stop hosting the damn thing when people have classes!

To be fair though, you're never going to find a time that suits everyone. After 6pm seems like a good idea, but then those that are on the periphery are even less likely to go because it means hanging around campus all day. So you'd end up with just C+S people at it, and the one complaint everyone seems to have "The SU is a cique!" will just get worse.
    You have it before 6pm on any week day and you're going to get people who have lectures, or in the case of Wednesday, people who don't want to come in to college especially for the UGM.
    Quorum was only met at the EGM because people thought Kelly and Paddy would tear strips off each other and t'would be good craic.

But the promotion was seriously lacking for this. They should have been out all last week handing out flyers to people at random. And there is no way it should be on a Monday, ever. Tuesday at the earliest imo.

Quorum was only met at the EGM because people thought Kelly and Paddy would tear strips off each other and t'would be good craic.

Never! I go because I care about the SU so much :rolleyes:

I think if all the sabbats bought and started wearing silly hats, people may actually know more about the next General Meeting.

Rumors we should start spreading so attendance increase for the next GM:

the PSA president, Welfare, communications and Education are going to have a jelly wrestling contest.

SU president and CSO are going to have a fight

CSLO and CSDO are going to be fired

The main shop is going to close

Capitation is going to increase

reunion wrote: »
    Never! I go because I care about the SU so much :rolleyes:

I think if all the sabbats bought and started wearing silly hats, people may actually know more about the next General Meeting.

Rumors we should start spreading so attendance increase for the next GM:

the PSA president, Welfare, communications and Education are going to have a jelly wrestling contest.

SU president and CSO are going to have a fight

CSLO and CSDO are going to be fired

The main shop is going to close

Capitation is going to increase

Charity Week will be cancelled.

Stables want to get a permanent late licence.

A strip club will be started in the old Dromroe shop premises.

Free naggins of vodka for all attendees who stay for the entire meeting.

Attendance will be through the roof.

A strip club will be started in the old Dromroe shop premises.

Now there is an idea for the Cappa space! You need the extra room for private rooms :P

Could even employ some students! It's win-win!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

reunion wrote:

I'd say you would get more at c&s council then an average UGM/EGM/AGM.
    C&S council at least two from every club/soc has to turn up or you end up in trouble

• Advertisement

freyners wrote: »
    C&S council at least two from every club/soc has to turn up or you end up in trouble

Nope only one required. 2 is recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

C&S council at least two from every club/soc has to turn up or you end up in trouble feeling the pinch in your club's budget

Fixed that for you. I'm sick of watching disinterested people reading assignments and newspapers in that meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

reunion wrote: »
    Nope only one required. 2 is recommended
    do you not need to send in apologies for only one member turining up, was sure we had to do that last semester

do you not need to send in apologies for only one member turining up, was sure we had to do that last semester

nope. It states 2 is recommended, but 1 is required.

Good habit to get 2 though, incase 1 person can't make it for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

ninty9er wrote: »
    Fixed that for you. I'm sick of watching disinterested people reading assignments and newspapers in that meeting.

Gotta be honest in that I rarely see people reading assignments/newspapers in the meeting. Granted that doesn't mean some people are dis-interested.

The need to be at those meetings so you wouldn't feel the pinch on your budget was something council brought in themselves.

All that being said, it is has always been a more effective forum than Class Reps and it has always come to the aid of the SU on numerous occasions. Can guarantee you that people won't be disinterested when we will be deciding upon the financial assistance to the SU next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Reducing the quorum is abosolutely the wrong solution here. If the union can't engage enough with those it represents to get 1/50 of them to turn up then it's got problems.

100 people is getting dangerously close to the level of getting a quorum by getting your mates in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Don't think the idea of making class reps go is going to do much better either because it's clearly evident some of them don't care and won't actively participate.

It's kind of shocking out of the thousands, it's a challenge to even get 200 people interested enough to come to meetings. There needs to be some sort of change regarding in how the meetings are promoted and for people to be aware of how what goes on in them can affect them, and that they are able to make a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Why not get rid of the whole quorum idea? That way an AGM/EGM/UGM would always be run! If people aren't bothered enough to turn up that's their loss... As it stands abstentionist students are now in more control of the proceedings (because they're not there) than those who show up...

Surely some emergency motion can be formulated (one that would not require quorum obviously) to get rid of quorum at General meetings?

Why not get rid of the whole quorum idea? That way an AGM/EGM/UGM would always be run! If people aren't bothered enough to turn up that's their loss... As it stands abstentionist students are now in more control of the proceedings (because they're not there) than those who show up...

Surely some emergency motion can be formulated (one that would not require quorum obviously) to get rid of quorum at General meetings?

I would highly doubt that this is possible. If it were, the sabbats could just decide on a whim to have a meeting at 3am and vote through anything they wanted by just getting 2 or three of their friends to go.

These ideas of lowering/getting rid of quorum are the wrong way to go about this imo. More promotion needs to be done. As I've said already, ONE email was sent around about the UGM, and it was sent the week before. A reminder email on Monday morning would have probably got a good few more people to turn up.
    The venue and time needs to be looked into. Stables is a write-off. Makes no sense to have it there to me. Sure, you've a slightly better chance of meeting quorum (or not in this case....) but it's hardly the environment to make decisions that affect the entire student body in is it?
    As for the time, I reckon the idea of holding it at the same time as CRC should be tried. Couldn't be more disastrous than yesterday could it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I would highly doubt that this is possible. If it were, the sabbats could just decide on a whim to have a meeting at 3am and vote through anything they wanted by just getting 2 or three of their friends to go.
    [\QUOTE]

So a weeks notice has to be given to all students in the form of an email to "all students"

Problem solvved?

In fairness if they hold it at 3am there's probably gonna be the same turn out

Advertisement