Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Going it alone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gar r

I have been waiting nearly 7 weeks serious back log. I rang them yesterday they said it would be another couple of weeks you should try and ring them they can give you an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

gar r wrote: »
    I have been waiting nearly 7 weeks serious back log. I rang them yesterday they said it would be another couple of weeks you should try and ring them they can give you an update.

Ok thanks for that. Let us know when you hear back from them.. Cheers. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 22 s14a johno

Hey all

I want make my way over to Canada, Full qualified electrician and Engineer 8 years and woundering
    is there job for sparkys in Canada?, I went to the job expo in Dublin and all the Companys basicly said no we don't
    need electricans becauSe there to many in Canada at the moment,
    Iam just back from oz so i know ya have get ya trade reconised in Canada as well,
    red seal, what the cost todo it? as i got shalfed in Australia,

Juat looking for advice really be Feburary before i go, Still waiting on visa to released.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bucket and spade

Are you going over on your own or have you family, im in ireland, got the lmo, trying to fill out the forms for the work permit and send them off to london, but having trouble with them. im an electrician, didnt apply to ait yet. any help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Stephen327

Hi mate, Im moving out next month and have been given the option of Saskatoon or Regina.. Could you give any advice on what Saskatoon is like, people? nighlife? things like that. Im 28 meself and dont want to pick the wrong city, Cheers ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 bucket and spade

i got a friend who is a plumber in regina, lots of irish there, enough to make a football team, he likes it there, lots of work going on there, saskatoon is prob ok for work but i seem to hear more talk about regina.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 s14a johno

cheers for the reply folks, and got few Message there as well, i shall follow up on them, anyone that doing the red seal,
    can anyone give me a break down on cost??

exam, books, getting your papers stamped buy the Canadian Athority and so on,

i know i need a visa so iam pretty much in limbo until there realised,

but lastly does anyone know if there a drift track over there? kinda need get the car there as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sb89

tony53 wrote: »
    Hi Sunny
    Tarpon are a big company and have lots of work
    It'll prob be Jan or Feb before Stew gets here as the paper work for AAIT is starting to jam
    It used to be 2 weeks turnaround
    I got the job through my cv ages ago not through expo
    Send me a pm and ill help through Facebook pages and groups to join
    Good look with the extension !!
    T

hi tony, im in the middle of getting a job with tarpon, could you give me any info at all like what are they like to work for, hours they work, and any other general info?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Stephen327 wrote: »
    Hi mate, Im moving out next month and have been given the option of Saskatoon or Regina.. Could you give any advice on what Saskatoon is like, people? nighlife? things like that. Im 28 meself and dont want to pick the wrong city, Cheers ;)

Word of advice. It is minus 17 right now in Saskatoon and Regina is probably as cold.
    I'm not sure what you are looking for but if you want to make decent money and don't mind working like crazy for a while, look into the oil fields. Fort McMurray Alberta, I think Saskatoon as well. Generally you head off to the middle of nowhere for a couple of weeks at a time, put in the hard hours and then get a break. A lot of people stick it out for a few months, make their money and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 murphy28

sb89 wrote: »
    hi tony, im in the middle of getting a job with tarpon, could you give me any info at all like what are they like to work for, hours they work, and any other general info?
    thanks
    Hi guys. Does anyone have any info on tarpon energy, got a job with them starting in january. Saw on the net where theres 50 irish/scots starting in january also. Any info would be great. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jockey joe

johnkerry wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm 28, Irish, living in Saskatoon since October, working in construction industry. If you have any questions about the place just ask and I'll help as much as I can. :)

is there any work over there for digger drivers

Anyone here flying out to work with Studon in Alberta after Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gar r

Hi ya im goin over with studon on jan 1st are ya goin over yourself.

gar r wrote: »
    Hi ya im goin over with studon on jan 1st are ya goin over yourself.

PMed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 desserdub

hi guys anybody get started with tarpon energy.just wondering where they sent/sending you.have a feeling it will be somewhere remote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Hey guys/gals anyone else in the same boat? i am heading to Calgary Visa pending as soon as its granted:D i cant wait to get over there now:D..so anyone else heading solo if so where?:D i am sh~ting it but this Christmas has shown that there's not much happening here and i cant wait to sign off the 188 club and get back to work hard play hard rota;)..Also if anyone else is in Calgary would love to no what you make of it? attitude of locals towards Irish, and just the general lifestyle Calgary has to offer. i have done an awful lot of research the past couple of months so now it would be good to hear from people that are actually there:D

Damn why did you move this in to this thread?:/ i wanted to set up one especially for 2013? and also this thread has become a lot more involved with some tarpon company?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Moved because it's the same topic as the original thread.
    Any further questions please PM me rather than on thread,
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Im hoping to move over and am perusing the cities at the moment while getting way too many suggestions from friends and family. As my actual work experience is in the bar trade I'm thinking a big city would provide more job opportunities. Though I'm a little nervous about a tip based economy (I like to know my budget for purchases, rental etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,010 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Im hoping to move over and am perusing the cities at the moment while getting way too many suggestions from friends and family. As my actual work experience is in the bar trade I'm thinking a big city would provide more job opportunities. Though I'm a little nervous about a tip based economy (I like to know my budget for purchases, rental etc).

you'll still get your 8.25 an hour (in Ontario) as a base...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm trying to figure out what kind of wage is healthy enough to live off. I was looking at some unskilled work to start of as I'll be just out of college and I'll have no experience an they seem to pay between $10-13 p/h. Looking at rooms to rent in Toronto on Craigslist they seem to be about $450-550 for all I'd need. I've been reading up about cost of living but opinions seem to differ. I'm pretty conservative with money but I'm still wondering if $400 per week, give or take, would be enough to live off in Toronto

Why don't you do labouring mate? i no its hard work :D but the money is good iam goin to calgary and the pay is around 18-20 dollars an hour and i plan too get a second job working in a bar on a friday/sat night:D

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Why don't you do labouring mate? i no its hard work :D but the money is good iam goin to calgary and the pay is around 18-20 dollars an hour and i plan too get a second job working in a bar on a friday/sat night:D

To be quite honest I'd do pretty much anything when I arrive, I'd imagine the most important thing when you arrive is accomadation and a job, so I'm willing to do anything. I don't mind hard work at all and will definitely look into it! Cheers! I know you need $2500 heading over but what would be a reasonable amount to get setup? I was thinking $5k including flights, visa, etc. would that be enough?

well then you be sorted i don't no much about Toronto regards labour work but i no there is a major shortage in Alberta and the taxes are less so more buck in the pocket at the end of the week..tbh mate i don't no is the simply answer i am going to have about about 3500 euro going which is $4500 and i hope that is enough:/ but when i get over there I am going to be hitting the ball running for a job and will take anything just so i have a few bucks coming in, but i will still be searching for better jobs, but if you have 5k you should be grand as the flights visa etc should only come to $1k, I am going to stay in a hostel for the first few weeks as it allows me to explore more and does not limit me to one area its best to get your work first then get a house to suit:)( just my opinion)..also maybe make out a list of things to do like get phone, banks account, sin number .etc .because especially when you arrive in a new city you will be full of excitement and mad to explore but its good to have a list so your somewhat prepared and know what to do:)

Yeah I was planning on staying in a hostel aswell. I haven't actually settled on a province yet but leaning toward Toronto. Cheers for the tips :)

No bods mate all the best:)

No bods mate all the best:)

Hi there ross are you going working in construction over there

I hope to be joe either that or the oil rigs/sands:)..wat bout you ya head heading over to canada ?

I hope to be joe either that or the oil rigs/sands:)..wat bout you ya head heading over to canada ?

Yeah I was going to be heading over but I have ajob nearly sorted in america at the harvest so I think I will go at that and make some money before I head up to canada I would be looking for work digger driving over there I suppose the mines would be the best place to look for that type of work

• Advertisement

Yea lad fort mcmurry is the spot serious money i can drive diggers so maybe i might go at that.. you should look in to nz either i got a job in the farms but the money was not great so iam heading to calgary instead lol

Advertisement