Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Going it alone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bucket and spade

do you know how much d boys in camp would take home after the 20 days?
    do the company sort out places to stay? i heard of camps an hour away from the plant so you can still go home to your family, is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 can sean

im not sure exactly of d figure but its counted as 2 workin weeks so per wk u have ur normal 40hrs den30hrs time and a half and sum sites do move overtime dan others. d way our company works is u pick calgary or edmunton airports as ur hub. so dey fly u from der to ur shift and after ur shift dey fly u back der. all d camps wit our company r on d jobs or close by so u have ur own room on site and while ur der everythin is paid for

ok. dont think that would work for me. but cheers for the info? whats the accomodation like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Was there any lads that went over with you sean that were just recently out of their time or were they all experienced? I think ill be grand getting the 9000 hours or work verified so hopefully it will work out!

i was under a yr and a half out of my time when i came and had no issues wit it... if u get a job offer u will have to forward ur paperwork before u get d put on d lmo.. ur best bet is to give as much info as possible, d only issue iv heard from d apprenticeship board review papers was dat sum1 sent a copy of der cert and it wasnt stamped by a guard or solicitor.
    d accomodation on camp is pretty good from wat i hear, u have ur own room wit tv internet and phone.. u have a choice of dinners and lunches, dey have a couple of gyms on camp, sports fields, cimemas and a good bit more

• Advertisement

Nice one sean, cheers for all the info. good to hear from someone thats actually going through it. Did you brring your tools over to canada with you? What are the conditions of the lmo, how long do you have to stay with your employer? Dont know if I could even get an lmo now that I have been granted the iec visa

i didnt bring anythin wit me.. i got a starter kit from d company i work for den just picked up few bits every wk to build it up.. if u r on am lmo u r bound to ur employer so if u got sacked or didnt get on wit ur company u wud hav to leave d country.. dat cud b changed now im not sure.. im pretty sure dat u can hold d 2 visas and decide which one to activate or maybe if u want to go on an lmo u may have to give up ur iec permit. u shud ring an immigration officer to find dat out, it wud b handy if u cud hold ur iec visa witout activatin it cos once u pass d red seal u can work as a journeyman electrician anywhere in canada and if u fell out wit ur company on an lmo u cud den activate ur iec visa

Yea that would be grand actually but id say once you activate an lmo you lose you iec visa. I must check up on it. How long are you bound to the employer. Say you were with them for a year and they let you go do you have to leave canada then?

d lmos r usually for 1yr anf for day yr u r bound to ur employer.. i tink if u extend it to a second yr u will still b bound to dem.. my understanding is dat when u r on an lmo u hav to stay wit dat eemployer or leave... it cound hav been changed recently because i did hear sumtin about it dat u mite hav a short time after u finish to secure another job but ud hav to check dat up im not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VirtualWorld

Hi guys,

I'm hearing lots about work on camps for welders. What about work for book keepers, cleaners, cooks etc? What sort of money do they bring in? Are they inclined to employ Irish for these type of roles? And if so, is the money any good?

• Advertisement

to be honest i dont really know much about d camp jobs other than the tradespeople, but on all camps der r cleaners, cooks, chefs and various other workers.. d camps cater for a large amount of workers so it is not only for tradespeople but i dont know how much dey r earnin or wheather dey also sponsor for staff

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VirtualWorld

Thank you for the answer Sean. :) I will stay asking questions.

if anyone is an electrician/instrument mechanic and lookin to move to canada on an lmo(sponsorship) the company i work for in canada are travelling to ireland at the end of this month to hire 100 electricians/instrument mechanics... they have currently 15 irish electricians working with them but due to d large amount of work they have secured they have been approved a new lmo off 100.. the company is called studon. their website is www.studon.com The work is all for the oil and gas industry in nothern alberta and it will b doin shift work on camps..
    they will be having presentation/meet and greet at the end of the month...
    the dates and venues are as follows.... Da vinchis hotel derry august 21st, the radisson hotel galway august 23rd, the red cow hotel dublin ausust 27th and the clarion hotel limerick august 29th, the presentations will start and 2pm and 6pm on the above dates

hey do you know is there any other canadian companies coming over or is it just your company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Where I am now there are very few Irish (likely less than a dozen), and all my Anglophile contacts here are of a business nature.

Hi, where in Canada do you recommend for following business leads? I've just finished a degree in international business and languages (not French) and I'm especially interested in telecoms, computing (anything business related in these areas) and marketing. I'm quite open to other stuff too though. I see Toronto is perhaps the capital of business?

this is solely for studon.. they did the same last year and found it successful to come on their own...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sunnymilo

hi there did u get a job offer from the expo in the rds i was in the queue for it but want able to get in due to bein full :( i also am a electrician and would like to know if there were many companies hiring electricians , and what is the time scale to get there , would appreciate your help thanks
    electrician looking to go to canada too.applied to pivot industries through fas but its been 3 weeks + nothing.sending cvs off aswell.did you have any luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tony53

Great info. "CAN SEAN" keep it up, Im from dublin and heading there within the next 4 to 6 weeks.Very interesting read. I thought the rate was flat for the 70 hrs, great to hear its time and a half after 40. Whats the story with downtime back at your hub .are you paid for that........... ?

with the company i work for it is def time and a half after 40 but im sure the other companies do offer something simular because there is big competition for workers in the oil sands... on your down time you do not get paid for that time.. you do get paid for your travel but im not sure what the figure is because im not on a camp job, i can find out when some of the others get back from there shifts..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dan577

Hi folks,
    Im heading over to Edmonton on Monday,going over operating Excavators. Any one been to Edmonton before?any one else going over soon??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Been in EDmonton nearly two years now. Not a bad city not massive but has everything you will need. No shortage of digger work anyway loads of sites around the city tis like dublin in 2005! Where you going to be at it?

Good man red menace,

Going to be based in Edmonton for the first week then off north but not sure where yet. Working in camps 3/1. Looking forward to getting started!! What's the pubs like in Edmonton?

Centre of the town is fairly dead but Whyte ave is where it all happens, it's beside the university so has a big college crowd.
    Been a year since I was in a pub, family man now!
    Good luck with the job anyways if you need to find out where anything is let me know.
    Make sure you get signed up for Alberta health straight away, means A&E and GP visits are free... might come in handy hopefully not but good to have

red menace wrote: »
    Centre of the town is fairly dead but Whyte ave is where it all happens, it's beside the university so has a big college crowd.
    Been a year since I was in a pub, family man now!
    Good luck with the job anyways if you need to find out where anything is let me know.
    Make sure you get signed up for Alberta health straight away, means A&E and GP visits are free... might come in handy hopefully not but good to have

Cheers red menace nice info,but will try to stay away from the A+E!!
    Wouldn't be much of a drinking man myself but still have the odd pint now and again.
    Will drop ya a msg or pm on here when i get your side.

Thanks

PMed you my email adress

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tony53

can sean wrote: »
    with the company i work for it is def time and a half after 40 but im sure the other companies do offer something simular because there is big competition for workers in the oil sands... on your down time you do not get paid for that time.. you do get paid for your travel but im not sure what the figure is because im not on a camp job, i can find out when some of the others get back from there shifts..

Thanks C.S.

same as, i sent loads of cvs out but only a few got back to me and even still they did not say they were on for getting me over there. if you get anyone interested in employing irish electricians give us a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

Hi all ,

Is there much demand for carpenters ? I would rather stay away from agencys , I cant see much on the net ,
    Ive 12 years experience post apprenticeship , looking for formwork or framing , foreman poistion , large commerical project , all aspect of carpentry . Time to leave ireland as nothing happening here .
    What are my option besides staying at home .

T

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

same as, i sent loads of cvs out but only a few got back to me and even still they did not say they were on for getting me over there. if you get anyone interested in employing irish electricians give us a shout.

There was an advert on the front page of the galway city tribune two weeks ago looking for sparks in the sand and oils , check there web site archives .

• Advertisement

Just got offered a job in alberta! who says sending out 150 resumes dont pay off? does anyone know the best and cheapest way to go about applying for work permits and that, keeping in mind the woman and child will be coming with me.

Advertisement