Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Shepherd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Whaling for scientific purposes is, whaling for commercial purposes is not. Only an incredibly naive idiot would classify Japanese whaling as scientific

So scientific that they shrink rap fillets of whale aboard the factory ship ready to be dispatched to super markets and restaurants when they arrive back in japan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Whaling for scientific purposes is, whaling for commercial purposes is not. Only an incredibly naive idiot would classify Japanese whaling as scientific

And only a naive idiot would support sea shepards actions.
    Regarding the scientific whaling,is a different matter,what matters is that it's legal approved by IWC,and sea Shepard have no business being there making idiots out of themselves,and claiming they are there because its illegal whaling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

And only a naive idiot would support sea shepards actions.
    Regarding the scientific whaling,is a different matter,what matters is that it's legal approved by IWC,and sea Shepard have no business being there making idiots out of themselves,and claiming they are there because its illegal whaling.

I can see the patently obvious is lost on you, commercial whaling is illegal which is what Japan is obviously engaged in. Could you stand over assertions that it is scientific and not commercial?

I can see the patently obvious is lost on you, commercial whaling is illegal which is what Japan is obviously engaged in. Could you stand over assertions that it is scientific and not commercial?

Yes I can.can you?

Japan's whale research programs are perfectly legal. Article VIII of the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling (ICRW) specifically provides for members of the IWC to issue permits for the killing of whales for research purposes. Article VIII of the ICRW begins with the words "Notwithstanding anything contained in this Convention…" Further, both the moratorium and the Antarctic Sanctuary apply only to commercial whaling. Contrary to claims by Greenpeace, Japan's whale research programs are not a violation of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). Nothing in the UNCLOS diminishes or restricts in any way, rights provided by the ICRW.
    Japan submits the results from its research to the IWC Scientific Committee for review every year. Both the quality and quantity of data from Japan's research programs have been commended by the Scientific Committee.
    The IWC's Scientific Committee has noted that the programs have provided considerable data which could be directly relevant for management and that the results of these programs have the potential to improve the management of minke whales.

Yes I can.can you?

Japan's whale research programs are perfectly legal. Article VIII of the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling (ICRW) specifically provides for members of the IWC to issue permits for the killing of whales for research purposes. Article VIII of the ICRW begins with the words "Notwithstanding anything contained in this Convention…" Further, both the moratorium and the Antarctic Sanctuary apply only to commercial whaling. Contrary to claims by Greenpeace, Japan's whale research programs are not a violation of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). Nothing in the UNCLOS diminishes or restricts in any way, rights provided by the ICRW.
    Japan submits the results from its research to the IWC Scientific Committee for review every year. Both the quality and quantity of data from Japan's research programs have been commended by the Scientific Committee.
    The IWC's Scientific Committee has noted that the programs have provided considerable data which could be directly relevant for management and that the results of these programs have the potential to improve the management of minke whales.

That's funny because the IWC has issued 19 separate resolutions criticizing Japan's 'research'. As I said only a naive idiot would fall for such nonsense. Just because they write research on the side on a vessel does not make it so

• Advertisement

And the fact successive Japanese government minister's have said the whailing was mainly for commercial reasons and its worth between 10-15 million dollars a year,
    And that theory they are feeding a starving population

Gatling wrote: »
    And the fact successive Japanese government minister's have said the whailing was mainly for commercial reasons and its worth between 10-15 million dollars a year,
    And that theory they are feeding a starving population

They have lost whatever market they had for whale meat as well with whale meat consumption in Japan at 1% of 1960s consumption and stockpiles of unsold whale meat have quadrupled over the past 15 years despite attempts to auction it off at bargain prices.

That's funny because the IWC has issued 19 separate resolutions criticizing Japan's 'research'. As I said only a naive idiot would fall for such nonsense. Just because they write research on the side on a vessel does not make it so

That might be the case,but it certainly doesn't justify sea Sea shepard actions in the area.

That might be the case,but it certainly doesn't justify sea Sea shepard actions in the area.

As it is the case and I think steps should be taken by the international community to formally shut down the japanese whaling operations as they are clearly flouting the iwc agreements. It should not be up to a ngo to do it but in the absense of state efforts what else is to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

murphym7 wrote: »
    I think you are presuming a lot there pal. When you do watch these first couple of episodes you will notice that these clowns are not even in contact with the whaling fleet yet, they are putting themselves in danger from the stupid way they conduct themselves at sea. We have not even started seeing them put other humans life's at risk yet, for now they are the only ones in danger. From themselves.

Everyone is a volunteer - most aren't experienced mariners except for key crew members. They are fully aware of the risks.

You may regard them with derision but they are highly successful which is why they get so much support.

Most of the World find it unnecessary to kill Whales for research but the Japanese say that it's essential. The Whale meat is unwanted & the only reason they continue to hunt is to preserve so called rights & traditions.

• Advertisement

As it is the case and I think steps should be taken by the international community to formally shut down the japanese whaling operations as they are clearly flouting the iwc agreements. It should not be up to a ngo to do it but in the absense of state efforts what else is to be done

It's already being taken steps by the international community,and we don't need Sea Shepard there making fools out of themselves.

It's already being taken steps by the international community,and we don't need Sea Shepard there making fools out of themselves.

what steps are these?

You Mariners & our Whaling representative should be grateful to the Sea Shepherds for giving you so much to moan & gripe about :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Attack the post, not the posters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Discodog wrote: »
    Everyone is a volunteer - most aren't experienced mariners except for key crew members. They are fully aware of the risks.

You may regard them with derision but they are highly successful which is why they get so much support.

Most of the World find it unnecessary to kill Whales for research but the Japanese say that it's essential. The Whale meat is unwanted & the only reason they continue to hunt is to preserve so called rights & traditions.

You'd be hard pressed to find any suitable qualifications amongst the crew. Maybe the helicopter pilot. The rest have little more than yacht skipper qualifications, hardly an EDH between them.

what steps are these?

Like you mentioned in you previous post,let IWC handle it,that's what they are there for.
    We don't need wannabe whaling police that makes more fools of themselves than good.

You Mariners & our Whaling representative should be grateful to the Sea Shepherds for giving you so much to moan & gripe about :-)
    I would rather watch a good comedy,cause worse seamanship I don't think you will find anywhere on the planet,so yes they are quite unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You'd be hard pressed to find any suitable qualifications amongst the crew. Maybe the helicopter pilot. The rest have little more than yacht skipper qualifications, hardly an EDH between them.

One of the volunteers was a chef! That's pretty qualified! I believe his official role was helicopter assistant...

Who's the whaling representative and who's the mariners??

The Irish representative in IWC is called John Fitzgerald as far as I know,if you have any issues speak to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Ok why are ships not allowed in the southern ocean?:rolleyes:
    And whaling in the whaling sanctuary is legal,approved by IWC.
    Check further back in this thread and you will find the answer.

As we all know the IWC is extremey currupt and is made up of alot of land locked countries!

Also the antarctic treaty zone ha ireland as a signitory and if you look at it its an Austrailian and New Zealand Sanctuary that the IWC do not have any control over.

• Advertisement

andy_g wrote: »
    As we all know the IWC is extremey currupt and is made up of alot of land locked countries!

Also the antarctic treaty zone ha ireland as a signitory and if you look at it its an Austrailian and New Zealand Sanctuary that the IWC do not have any control over.

An Australian and New Zealand sanctuary???
    It's an International sanctuary,where IWC have banned all commercial whaling.
    It was founded in 1994 by IWC,with 23 nations supporting it,and Japan opposing it.
    And IWC corrupt,I think you will find that in most international organisations,nothing new there.

An Australian and New Zealand sanctuary???
    It's an International sanctuary,where IWC have banned all commercial whaling.
    It was founded in 1994 by IWC,with 23 nations supporting it,and Japan opposing it.
    And IWC corrupt,I think you will find that in most international organisations,nothing new there.

So you say that we should leave it to the IWC & then admit that they are a corrupt organisation.

People support the Sea Shepherds because they are the only organisation that can be seen actively trying to prevent Whales being killed.

So you say that we should leave it to the IWC & then admit that they are a corrupt organisation.

People support the Sea Shepherds because they are the only organisation that can be seen actively trying to prevent Whales being killed.

Like i said before,corruptions you will find in any international organisation,it's nothing new.
    Should we start ramming politicians with cars,and throw stink bombs at them,just because you don't agree with their politics and that they are corrupt?
    I am pretty sure you would spend some time in jail then.
    And that Sea Shepard is the only organisation,is wrong,ask your colleagues in Greenpeace.
    It's a reason why Paul Watson was kicked out of it.

Like i said before,corruptions you will find in any international organisation,it's nothing new.
    Should we start ramming politicians with cars,and throw stink bombs at them,just because you don't agree with their politics and that they are corrupt?
    And that Sea Shepard is the only organisation,is wrong,ask your colleagues in Greenpeace.

Because thanks to some people sinking the Norwegian whaling or was it Icelandic fleet ,
    Green peace was threatened with loosening its charity status in America which would have cost them millions of dollars

Because thanks to some people sinking the Norwegian whaling or was it Icelandic fleet ,
    Green peace was threatened with loosening its charity status in America which would have cost them millions of dollars

Norwegian whalers started the season 1 of April,and are hunting 1286 minke whale this year.
    And sinking a boat is sabotage or terrorism,in case you didn't know.
    But Greenpeace are still a organisation against whaling,and are not in the south Atlantic making fools of themselves.

Norwegian whalers started the season 1 of April,and are hunting 1286 minke whale this year.
    And sinking a boat is sabotage or terrorism,in case you didn't know.
    But Greenpeace are still a organisation against whaling,and are not in the south Atlantic making fools of themselves.

Because they prefer talk and dollars aka sell outs

Because they prefer talk and dollars aka sell outs

What would sea Shepard be without dollars and Paul Watsons big mouth:rolleyes:

I don't have "colleagues" in Greenpeace & I suspect that many would love to vent their anger at politicians.

You misunderstand the difference between the two organisations. Unlike Greenpeace the Sea Shepherds have their prime objective as actively preventing the killing of Whales.

The huge amount of donations show that a lot of people support direct action. With every episode of Whale Wars more people join & donate so it's clear that many don't view the Sea Shepherds as criminals.

What would sea Shepard be without dollars and Paul Watsons big mouth:rolleyes:

How many whales would have been slaughtered for Japanese restaurants
    If it wasn't for Paul Watson's actions

• Advertisement

I don't have "colleagues" in Greenpeace & I suspect that many would love to vent their anger at politicians.

You misunderstand the difference between the two organisations. Unlike Greenpeace the Sea Shepherds have their prime objective as actively preventing the killing of Whales.

The huge amount of donations show that a lot of people support direct action. With every episode of Whale Wars more people join & donate so it's clear that many don't view the Sea Shepherds as criminals.

I would love to see those numbers,cause I thought it was the opposite.
    I know many who is against whaling,but they can't stand the actions of the Sea Shepard and co,though.
    It's gone from bad to worse.its just a matter of time before someone gets seriously injured or killed.
    But like Paul Watson used to say,
    There's nothing wrong with being a terrorist,as long as you win,that clearly says it all.:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement