Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evo Qualifier Tournament - April 14th, v2012 A.E. - Trinity College Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

Nutrient wrote: »
    Not really sure why its MK but regardless,

shut up...thats why :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

shut up...thats why :p

Didn't mean it like that yea plank:P

Since SFXT is [probably] at the event because it's release was not too long ago, as KOF and BB:E and SC5 I figured one of these games would have been there before MK would if it was been done through most rencently released.

I'm hype for MK!

Didn't mean it like that yea plank:P

Since SFXT is [probably] at the event because it's release was not too long ago, as KOF and BB:E and SC5 I figured one of these games would have been there before MK would if it was been done through most rencently released.

I'm hype for MK!

ooooooooooooooooooooh :o

sure woolay is not effected by the time line of us mere mortals :cool:

ooooooooooooooooooooh :o

sure woolay is not effected by the time line of us mere mortals :cool:

You gotta use Quan at this event

Shinnok will be pissed otherwise:/

You gotta use Quan at this event

Shinnok will be pissed otherwise:/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

Someone should make a website with list of people who registered for evo qualifier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

ladnopoka wrote: »
    Someone should make a website with list of people who registered for evo qualifier

no. Way too much work for little return. You need to know I can post up the list - but I already have. I'll do it again.

evo2012list.jpg

This is the latest list as of 10 mins ago. :)

If everyone shows up, we will be laughin. i know last year we had nearly 90 people registered but did not get that many at the event so we'll see how we go. There's more Hype this year I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

uchiha strider is another uk lad, so are many others in this list..

Yeh, I really want one of the Irish lads to win it. So parctice practice boys. I aint winning it.

Lets go Ladno!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Don't worry Ladno, I'm willing to throw my matches against you for the greater good. I don't want to stand in your way. Like a true master I will bow out and let the student have his chance

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Don't worry Ladno, I'm willing to throw my matches against you for the greater good. I don't want to stand in your way. Like a true master I will bow out and let the student have his chance

Yeah, I guess I should let Cobelcog and Hound have the win they've been working for if I run into them, too.

UPDATE

Hi guys,

Getting close and all to the day, we finally have secured the final prize for SFxT. The winner of SFxT will be the proud owner of this hori stick.

360ver%20MvC.jpg

Get Hype!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭LIFETRAP

ayjayirl wrote: »

The costs and prizes are:

Event Entry : €10

Tournaments
    Super Street Fighter - Arcade Edition v2012: €15 (Groups & Double Elim)

Marvel v Capcom : €10 (Double Elim)

SfxT : €10 (Single Elim)

Mortal Kombat : €10 (Double Elim)

Just to make sure here, it's €10 into the event and then you've to pay whatever figure there to enter each tournament?

Yes that's right. A little more expensive than last year but are costs are higher as well :)

Hope to see you there!

Going to try make it if I have enough dolla dolla.

ayjayirl wrote: »
    UPDATE

Hi guys,

Getting close and all to the day, we finally have secured the final prize for SFxT. The winner of SFxT will be the proud owner of this hori stick.

360ver%20MvC.jpg

Get Hype!

What's the prize for Marvel then? When does online registration close?

LIFETRAP wrote: »
    What's the prize for Marvel then? When does online registration close?

It's an SC5 Soul Edition stick

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

Just a few things to add,

The first thread should be updated with all relivant info regarding this event, nobody wants to go through 20 pages of nonsense just to find out the details on the tournament, especially players coming from overseas.

Anyway i had a look at the entry fees and they seem kinda steep. 10 euro a game and 10 euro entry, and then 15 euros for sf4, so the minium fee on the day is going to be 20 euros to play one game. If you want to play all games it will cost 55 euros in total. I don`t think anybody is going to pay 55 euros on the day especially after travelling, food and accomodation on top of that, so to maximise turnover I would like to suggest setting a fixed rate of 35 euros which would cover entry into the venue and cover the cost of entry into all the tournaments on the day, this ensures that each person attending pays 35 euros guaranteed and it gives each tournament a decent number of entrants.

Lets say

50 people enter the building = 500 euros, out of that 50 people, 35 enter sf4 which = 525 euros, 15 enter marvel = 150 euros and 15 enter sfxt = 150 euros and 12 enter motal kombat = 120 euros, in total thats 1445 euros.

or what could happen is

What if only 25 people enter sf4 = 375 euros, 15 enter mvc = 150 euros, 10 enter mortal kombat = 100 euros, and 20 enter sfxt = 200 euros, thats a total of 1325.

Its always going to be varible because its not known how many people are going to enter what game, however if you were to calculate 50 people by a set rate of 35 euros thats a total of 1750 euros. Even if you set the flat rate at 30 euros which is a very resonable price for all games, you would still come out with a total of 1500 euros, which is gaurneteed money. Once you give people a choice of what games they can pay to play on the day your turnover will be less.

The set rate not only ensures a fixed amount of income, but it also ensures that each tournament will have a decent amount of entrants, it will give the community value for money, especially those who wish to play multial games on the day.

The 2nd thing is, i don`t think non irish players should be allowed to enter street fighter 4, the whole point of the qualifier is to send an irish representative to evo, it kind of defeats the point if somebody from the uk or france comes over and takes that away from us. I don`t know about you guys but i would enjoy evo a lot more knowing that we have somebody from ireland in the tournament, it also creates exposure for ireland as a whole. when i was competing years ago i was always flying the irish flag, but i was always seen as a uk player because thats where i was based, ireland never got the exposure it should have, for example when i went to scotland last week i could have teamed up with uk players, but i teamed with irish players instead, i was so passionate about ireland doing well that i was willing to pay for everybody to attend and represent ireland, i even asked cobelcog, stevo and hound to come to scotland and i was willing to pay for there trip, but they were all busy and couldn`t go. Being irish means a lot, i am proud to be irish and i want our community to be the best it can be, but i don`t think running a tournament just so somebody from the uk or france can have a free holiday is the way to go.

Paying for UK of french players to attend evo does nothing for us and think that we really need to look at that rule in the future.

Also i think the tournament has enough events as it is, time is a massive factor and running 4 tournaments in one day is more than enough. I would even suggest cutting the tournaments down to single elimination to so save time.

In regards to the sf4 tournament, the pool stages should be made into groups of 3 players, top 2 players from each pool go into a 32 man double elimination bracket. This is the fastest way to get to a 32 man bracket, it also creates seeding and gets rid of the people who can`t really play. Also with 16 setups a 32 man bracket will run very fast, it saves time and means players will kept focused and wont have long to wait around inbetween games.

The last thing i can think of is sponsorship, am pretty sure no contact has been made with the actual organisers of evolution regarding this event and although its not really essential we should be pushing for prizes and sponsorship from evo, after all it is a qualifying event for there tournament, at the very least free entry into the tournament for the winner or even hotel accommodation would be massive, when i ran battle of destiny in 2008 i got $1500 from seth killian to send players to evo, so they definietly have money to give, also a bit closer to home we should be in touch with madcatz in the uk, there a bit crap i know but am sure we could get a few joysticks out of them.

But overall pushing for sponsorship and funding is vital because running events like this isn`t cheap, especially when you have to fork out over 1000 euros in prizes not to mention venue costs so really we should be looking to secure some kind of sponsorship at this stage.

Finally when it comes to exposing a tournament and the scene around it, its not just about promoting the event before it happens, videos and pictures are essential elements to expose any event we organise, nobody cares a week after an event has happend, people want videos and pictures straight after an event takes place, i know doom puts in a lot of hard work when it comes to the videos, but he shouldn`t be the only person doing it, if we had a larger media team we would be able to get our videos out there quicker which would result in a higher volume of viewers.

We should also be doing player interviews like what we did for the launch event for super not just to expose our own players but to connect our scene together, every player in ireland should be interviewed and recognise for the games they play regardless of there skill level, but its also good to put videos out there so that other communities can recognise the players we have in ireland and to promote our scene so that when we run events in the future people will travel here to take part.

chunkis wrote: »

The first thread should be updated with all relivant info regarding this event, nobody wants to go through 20 pages of nonsense just to find out the details on the tournament, especially players coming from overseas.

Anyway i had a look at the entry fees and they seem kinda steep. 10 euro a game and 10 euro entry, and then 15 euros for sf4, so the minium fee on the day is going to be 20 euros to play one game. If you want to play all games it will cost 55 euros in total. I don`t think anybody is going to pay 55 euros on the day especially after travelling, food and accomodation on top of that, so to maximise turnover I would like to suggest setting a fixed rate of 35 euros which would cover entry into the venue and cover the cost of entry into all the tournaments on the day, this ensures that each person attending pays 35 euros guaranteed and it gives each tournament a decent number of entrants.

Lets say

50 people enter the building = 500 euros, out of that 50 people, 35 enter sf4 which = 525 euros, 15 enter marvel = 150 euros and 15 enter sfxt = 150 euros and 12 enter motal kombat = 120 euros, in total thats 1445 euros.

or what could happen is

What if only 25 people enter sf4 = 375 euros, 15 enter mvc = 150 euros, 10 enter mortal kombat = 100 euros, and 20 enter sfxt = 200 euros, thats a total of 1325.

Its always going to be varible because its not known how many people are going to enter what game, however if you were to calculate 50 people by a set rate of 35 euros thats a total of 1750 euros. Even if you set the flat rate at 30 euros which is a very resonable price for all games, you would still come out with a total of 1500 euros, which is gaurneteed money. Once you give people a choice of what games they can pay to play on the day your turnover will be less.

The set rate not only ensures a fixed amount of income, but it also ensures that each tournament will have a decent amount of entrants, it will give the community value for money, especially those who wish to play multial games on the day.

The 2nd thing is, i don`t think non irish players should be allowed to enter street fighter 4, the whole point of the qualifier is to send an irish representative to evo, it kind of defeats the point if somebody from the uk or france comes over and takes that away from us. I don`t know about you guys but i would enjoy evo a lot more knowing that we have somebody from ireland in the tournament, it also creates exposure for ireland as a whole. when i was competing years ago i was always flying the irish flag, but i was always seen as a uk player because thats where i was based, ireland never got the exposure it should have, for example when i went to scotland last week i could have teamed up with uk players, but i teamed with irish players instead, i was so passionate about ireland doing well that i was willing to pay for everybody to attend and represent ireland, i even asked cobelcog, stevo and hound to come to scotland and i was willing to pay for there trip, but they were all busy and couldn`t go. Being irish means a lot, i am proud to be irish and i want our community to be the best it can be, but i don`t think running a tournament just so somebody from the uk or france can have a free holiday is the way to go.

Paying for UK of french players to attend evo does nothing for us and think that we really need to look at that rule in the future.

Also i think the tournament has enough events as it is, time is a massive factor and running 4 tournaments in one day is more than enough. I would even suggest cutting the tournaments down to single elimination to so save time.

In regards to the sf4 tournament, the pool stages should be made into groups of 3 players, top 2 players from each pool go into a 32 man double elimination bracket. This is the fastest way to get to a 32 man bracket, it also creates seeding and gets rid of the people who can`t really play. Also with 16 setups a 32 man bracket will run very fast, it saves time and means players will kept focused and wont have long to wait around inbetween games.

The last thing i can think of is sponsorship, am pretty sure no contact has been made with the actual organisers of evolution regarding this event and although its not really essential we should be pushing for prizes and sponsorship from evo, after all it is a qualifying event for there tournament, at the very least free entry into the tournament for the winner or even hotel accommodation would be massive, when i ran battle of destiny in 2008 i got $1500 from seth killian to send players to evo, so they definietly have money to give, also a bit closer to home we should be in touch with madcatz in the uk, there a bit crap i know but am sure we could get a few joysticks out of them.

But overall pushing for sponsorship and funding is vital because running events like this isn`t cheap, especially when you have to fork out over 1000 euros in prizes not to mention venue costs so really we should be looking to secure some kind of sponsorship at this stage.

Finally when it comes to exposing a tournament and the scene around it, its not just about promoting the event before it happens, videos and pictures are essential elements to expose any event we organise, nobody cares a week after an event has happend, people want videos and pictures straight after an event takes place, i know doom puts in a lot of hard work when it comes to the videos, but he shouldn`t be the only person doing it, if we had a larger media team we would be able to get our videos out there quicker which would result in a higher volume of viewers.

We should also be doing player interviews like what we did for the launch event for super not just to expose our own players but to connect our scene together, every player in ireland should be interviewed and recognise for the games they play regardless of there skill level, but its also good to put videos out there so that other communities can recognise the players we have in ireland and to promote our scene so that when we run events in the future people will travel here to take part.

I've read the bulk and see that some ideas mentioned sound good
    sponserships, interviews
    I don't have a comment about the brackets or the cost of entry

To alienate competitors from the prize sounds a little harsh, it is an Evo qualifier event where the 'winner' gets to attend Evo plain and simple

I think it's too late to change most of the event prior 2 weeks of happening, that wouldn't be fair to any foreign players that have commited to attend.

I'm not disagreeing with the bulk of your ideas and its nice to know that you still care enough about the Irish scene after all your time in the community.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

20 quid is a bit much if you just want to to enter sfxt especially seeing as its only single elim.

bush wrote: »
    20 quid is a bit much if you just want to to enter sfxt especially seeing as its only single elim.

I'd tend to agree, I'd be happy with it being double elim as long as we found a lightning fast way of doing it. We have to be packing up at 6, and SFxT makes KoF look like super turbo when it comes to round length.

As for Chunkis' post- a lot of it is good sense, but AJ has worked the money out and quite frankly I'm going to trust the MBA in business to do it right :D there's good prizes, it's worth people to chance their arms.

As for everything else- I agree about the first post, if someone wants to throw everything together for me I will do it, but I'm kinda busy right now.

As for promotion, sponsorship and on the day stuff, I'm genuinely going to be too busy to do anything more than I am already, and it's my first stream. Manpower for all that stuff is the issue there.

As for sponsorship- I of all people would love some. The gear doesn't buy itself and I am getting to the point where improving it will be expensive. But we're in recession Ireland and I think we'll have to pump out a few events like this and prove we can before we'll get a sniff of it.

As for the international players- I'm happy we've got them at all. We can reassess what we want for next year, but right now I think we should just be happy we've put something together which has garnered at least some small international notice.

Plus you know one of our guys is going to body one of theirs. Or Ramza's gonna call Ryan free or something.

Lets say

or what could happen is

Chunkis,

Fair point on the info. I am writing an email to all registered players tonight and also updating the thread as you have suggested.

Price, format, and tournament structure is in place and is not changing. Run all the calculations you want - believe me, I have done so and with a sensitivity analysis to see where the weak points could be and what combination of pricing works. This year the venue entry is larger - as is the venue and MK9 is double elim. The cost increase was to facilitate this and the fact that this year we do not have 2 TE's to give away for nothing.

In relation to foreign players - maybe a fair point, maybe. I don't agree with it and it leads into what the tournament is but at this stage its moot. If we want a send an Irish player to Evo tourney, then we don't open it to anyone outside of Ireland. This was not something that was done and for good reason. We now, for the first time, have multiple international and reknowned players coming to an event in Ireland. This is due to not only the prize, the tournament, but also to the efforts of all the lads who have gone to other international events (including you) and who, in effect, promoted FG Ireland. If you went to an event in France that had a first prize of a trip to Evo - should you not get it cause your are not from France? I think not and to suggest as such is ridiculous. Lets say some foreign player like Starnab wins it...... You think next years event will be smaller? It won't attract the top talent around Europe to come and have a go..... Dreamers can dream.

As for promoting the tournament, suggestions are always welcome, action is preferred. Nothing stopping anyone promoting this in any way they can. By the looks of the registrations so far, this has been successful so far.

Aj

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

Just to be clear on what ive said about pricing, if you charge a flat rate per person you will make more money than charging individually per game. Because not everybody will play all games, most will probably only play 1 game because the price is very expensive, not everybody in our community has 40 or 50 euros to spend.

Also people are already starting to pull out because its too expensive, so i definitely feel that you need to re-evaluate the pricing. In regards to tournament numbers, you want each tournament to have as many entrys as possible so its in your best interests to allow people to enter all games at a fixed cost.

The price plan ive suggested proves that you will make more money when pricing is fixed, so its definitely worth looking at because it does give the community value for money and ensures that each game has a decent turn out.

Just to be clear on what ive said about pricing, if you charge a flat rate per person you will make more money than charging individually per game. Because not everybody will play all games, most will probably only play 1 game because the price is very expensive, not everybody in our community has 40 or 50 euros to spend.

Incorrect. Please note, you have no information on who wants to play what. I do. Even if its only what people have registered, its a good indication and a starting point from which you did not start.
    Also people are already starting to pull out because its too expensive, so i definitely feel that you need to re-evaluate the pricing. In regards to tournament numbers, you want each tournament to have as many entrys as possible so its in your best interests to allow people to enter all games at a fixed cost.

You have only hearsay or conjecture based on some conversations you had? Either way, we have over 60 registered and I know there are more coming that have not so I fail to see where you are getting this from.

I understand the objective of hosting an event and, being perfectly honest, I implicitly understand it in relation to this event - having run it successfully last year.
    The price plan ive suggested proves that you will make more money when pricing is fixed, so its definitely worth looking at because it does give the community value for money and ensures that each game has a decent turn out.

Incorrect. Your multiplication effort only served to verify the result of a product. Well done. Sorry, I don't mean to be mean but stating something proves something else when all you said was X multiplied by Y = Z.

As for value for money - nonesense. Anyone who thinks that attending, what is now, an international event, with prizes of Flights to vegas, TE sticks, Hori stick, PDP stick, Tshirts, games and the HYPE is not worth a minimum of 20 Euro is detached from reality a bit. I appreciate how difficult money is to come by in this country but the current structure not providing value for money is utter crap.

Furthermore, If you are as well versed and certain of your proof, please tell me what the costs for this years event are, who the volunteering staff members are, where we got the site from, who maintains it, what is the venue cost, when does this have to be paid, what considerations have you given to the logistic of making this happen on the day, where the prizes were sourced, how much were they, who paid for them.... You want me to go on?

I'm about 2 minutes off splitting a feedback thread off of this one...

On Saturday the 14th of April the Irish Fighting Game Community will hold its third annual Evo qualifier tournament.

This years is being held in Goldsmith Hall, part of Dublins historical Trinity College. It's looking like the best one yet and will be streamed on www.twitch.tv/randomselectie for the world to see.
    You can register on the day or pre register at http://evo.randomselect.ie

Doors open at 9.00 for registration. Entry to event is €10.

Game|Time|Cost (euro)|Prize
    SFxT|10am|10|Hori MvC3 Stick
    MK9|10am|10|PDP MK Stick
    UMvC3 |12pm|10| Soul Calibur TE
    SSF4AE2012|1.30pm|15|Flights to Las Vegas and registration for Evo

There'll be more prizes and much more merriment on the day.
    Come along for the biggest day in the Irish Fighting Game calender year!

Blurb with all the relevant info I could think of. Pass it on, share, send to websites etc if you like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ummm... wouldn't it be better to change the prizes for SFxT & UMvC3?

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Ummm... wouldn't it be better to change the prizes for SFxT & UMvC3?

Yeh I thought of that. I didn't want to do that cause I had already 'assigned' the soul stick for MVC and didn't want to disappoint anyone by doing it.

Advertisement