Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evo Qualifier Tournament - April 14th, v2012 A.E. - Trinity College Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Not a big poster person. If you need changes made, ask me.

http://i.imgur.com/M3b8y.jpg

(file far too big to link embed)

EDIT: the date was slightly off centre, fixed now. That's service for ya!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Da Bounca wrote: »
    2 weeks is plenty :)

Strange that it isn't included already. Why not just have it to begin with?

Considering the amount of planning and work I've seen AJ putting into this, no 2 weeks is most certainly not enough :)

The point of this tournament is to raise money to send people to Evo. Considering I have seen more and larger Blaz Blue, 3rd Strike and even KoF tournaments in Ireland in the last few years than Soul Cal, why should it skip the queue?

I am sure if you ask Voa nicely enough SC can make an appearance at DOC6 or whatever number it's at now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

The SC5 scene actually looks pretty good at the moment, they had 6 or so people in exclusively for SC casuals on Saturday (and that's minus a couple of people I know would be playing it had they been there).

Agreed that it's not really enough notice to stick it in the Evo qualifiers though, but there's definitely enough to be running it for tournaments. Dunno when the next DOC will be though since we're heading into exam season soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

I just think that whatever tournaments are being run at Evo should be run at an Evo qualifier.

Considering the size of the SC playerbase, I don't think the tournament would take too long and it would be nice to be included.

I must have missed the poll that decided the games being played.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15

I just think that whatever tournaments are being run at Evo should be run at an Evo qualifier.

Considering the size of the SC playerbase, I don't think the tournament would take too long and it would be nice to be included.

I dunno what AJs view is, but form someone who runs a tournament with minimum four games, its incredibly difficult to pull off multiple game tourneys in one day, with that many people, especially when you're on a strict time limit. You simply can't play through that many matches in that space of time. Its not even all about setups, you end up with people being in the final rounds of tournaments, while due to play in other tournaments and therefor eholding the second one up. Doom I am so not staring evilly at you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I actually asked AJ about running a SC5 tournament on the day shortly after the announcement of the event. He told me he couldn't commit to anything until on the day itself to see how many setups there were.

The reason I haven't said anything is because I felt it would be unfair on people who wanted to play SC5 being let down because there weren't enough set ups on the day so there wouldn't be a point posting about it if nothing could be guaranteed.

As such, I concur with goody2shoes on this.

I dunno what AJs view is, but form someone who runs a tournament with minimum four games, its incredibly difficult to pull off multiple game tourneys in one day, with that many people, especially when you're on a strict time limit. You simply can't play through that many matches in that space of time. Its not even all about setups, you end up with people being in the final rounds of tournaments, while due to play in other tournaments and therefor eholding the second one up. Doom I am so not staring evilly at you...

Without being smart, this really- unless you've been involved in the running of a tournament like this, you don't really know what you're talking about (Genuinely not trying to be mean here- we basically have this conversation every time there's a big tournament being held). I'm not going to be putting AJ under any pressure to run any more than he's comfortable with (bear in mind we'll be on a tight schedule, and the last tournament I was at that just decided to add an extra game over ran by 3 hours!)

I'd actually be behind getting an SC tournament held at DoC though, game deserves a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

There was no poll. Simply put, we have capacity, given probable attendance, for 4 games with the setups we will have and the time frame we have to work within. Also, the order of which 4 games to choose was done so based on the number of regularly attended events throughout the year.

Like I said to Misty - we could possibly have a side tourney on the day but then again, like Doom said, what about other games not being played that would arguably be more popular like Kof or Blaz Blue or 3rd Stike. I took the decision to go with 4 from experience of last year and tournament running in general.

This ^

Bottom line, every game that has a tournament does so because an advocate for the game started a tourney, promoted it, got numbers and ran regular events. This would be what I would suggest for SC tbh and given the supportive nature of everyone in the forum except Azza, I think you would do it successfully.

On a different note (although coincidentally related in a way) we got delivery of the TE prize for uMVC today......

photo2.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    photo.jpg

We chose this one cause its pretty. :)

I can also announce that for the first time at an Evo Qualifier, placing second or third in an tournament will result in something at least. Capcom have donated some material so we have some T-Shirts and a copy of SFxT for second/third place in all of the 4 official tournaments at the unofficial qualifier. Second place can choose which they want and third gets NO CHOICE AND MUST ACCEPT THE SHAME OF DEFEAT. (Please note that we have 2 xbox and 2 ps3 copies of the game and the Tee's are not one size fits all :) ). I'd like to thank Capcom for their support. We also have a few posters from Capcom and a copy of Ultimate Fighter 3 courtesy of Gamesnash (thanks again guys!) that will be raffled on the day.

Hype.....building.....

That stick is $%^&ing sexy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Soul Calibar stick for 1st in Marvel...

Beast

• Advertisement

Nutrient wrote: »
    Soul Calibar stick for 1st in Marvel...

Beast

I agree, I think Doyler will look great using it

Onion isn't winning it this year, that's for sure :P

ayjayirl wrote: »
    I agree, I think Doyler will look great using it

No way Gen's got this

No way Gen's got this

are you saying Lee is free?

are you saying Lee is free?

Whos Lee?:P

Whos Lee?:P

Sounds like it's on.

Again

Onion isn't winning it this year, that's for sure :P

Oh please, all you scrubs may as well just write me a nice card to go with this stick now.

See you April 14th bitches :P

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Oh please, all you scrubs may as well just write me a nice card to go with this stick now.

About that card...

salt.jpg

To Onion

All the best,
    Nutrient:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I've lobbed the poster up on H-S-N's main page along with some general info, and links back to the fighting forums here.

Btw I got this Dudley Poster from Hypespotting

It's about 7ft long

Is it cool to hang it up during the event?

Looks sick

• Advertisement

Dear Nutrient,

170px-Rolex-Submariner.jpg

Please get one. You might actually get to play through one full tournament without getting DQ-ed if you show up on time. For once.

Stay free,
    Onion :pac:

I suppose I'm just a little bit bitter over SC being left in the gutter again while the likes of SFxT gets in ahead of it.

I could understand if it was KoF in there, but SFxT...no.

Also while I realise that this is a fundraiser for evo(which is awesome) I think suggesting that games like blaz and 3rd strike would be played ahead of a game that is officially being played at evo is silly.

Anyways, decisions have been made and all that, so I'll let it rest.

I suppose I'm just a little bit bitter over SC being left in the gutter again while the likes of SFxT gets in ahead of it.

I could understand if it was KoF in there, but SFxT...no.

Also while I realise that this is a fundraiser for evo(which is awesome) I think suggesting that games like blaz and 3rd strike would be played ahead of a game that is officially being played at evo is silly.

Anyways, decisions have been made and all that, so I'll let it rest.

Irrespective of game preference, it is a fundraiser so given the amount of people playing each game and the limit of 4 official games for the day, the games that 'won' are the ones being played.

SC5 would have to get a bigger draw than SFxT/3rd Strike in order to have it in line with the objective - raising funds. This is just not true. The fact that EVO have it on really makes no difference. Comparing our community effort to a well funded and well attended international event is just silly imo.

If you feel strongly about getting CS5 on the map, I suggest running a tournament. Like I have said previously, there are plenty of people here who would help and I know you could get quality video footage of the event - something not everyone could easily get - to help you promote and grow the adoption of the game by existing community members and getting new like minded people involved. By my calculation you have approximately a year to get a scene growing for next years event. Just a thought - not trying to be smart :)

My point was that I don't think SFxT would have more players than either SC5 or KoF. The players who seem to play it all have it as a second/third place game to their main one. While SC5 and KoF would have more players that have them as their main. This would also mean that there would be less hold up from players that have entered multiple tournaments.

Also, SFxT is the newest game of the bunch so it just seems that it slotted in ahead because of the organiser choice.

The SC5 scene is growing and there will be more tournaments run in the future. Evo is once a year though(your calculations are spot on), and it's nice to be part of the biggest hype of the season.

My point was that I don't think SFxT would have more players than either SC5 or KoF. The players who seem to play it all have it as a second/third place game to their main one. While SC5 and KoF would have more players that have them as their main. This would also mean that there would be less hold up from players that have entered multiple tournaments.

Also, SFxT is the newest game of the bunch so it just seems that it slotted in ahead because of the organiser choice.

The SC5 scene is growing and there will be more tournaments run in the future. Evo is once a year though(your calculations are spot on), and it's nice to be part of the biggest hype of the season.

Well, I love KoF and I am under no illusion it will draw more than SFxT.

Also believe me, AJ couldn't care less about SFxT. He's pretty pragmatic about all fighting games save SF4. It doesn't change the fact SFxT is the new hotness.

You need to get over this sense of entitlement. The only reason there's a fighting games scene in Ireland at all or an Evo qualifier is that people who care about their own games got together and began running tournaments for the games they loved. Complaining that other people weren't running tournaments for them wasn't an option: there was no one to complain about.

You're now in a situation where (as far as I know) you are dictating to other people why they are wrong about how they're running tournaments without ever running one yourself. Think how that looks from the other side.

The help will be there and SC will hopefully grow as the other successful games in the scene are. I personally would love to get some commentated HD SC5 footage for the channel.

Look at Mortal Kombat: I pretty much gave this exact same speech (including the not-running-tournaments thing) to someone about that game about 8 months ago, I would now consider it and the guy who I told that to very valuable parts of the community. Work with us here.

There's no chance that KOF would get more entrants than SFxT, whatever about SC5. Even if a lot of people aren't that bet into SFxT, it's the new major Capcom release (which also means Capcom can help us out a little with the event), and it's gonna get entrants.

Nobody here has any problem with SC, and as Doom says I think we'd all love to see the game's scene grow and get regular tournaments going, just like MK9's has.

edit: For comparison, the SFxT launch tournament had 35 entrants. That is easily double what KOF would possibly pull and I'd imagine around the same for SC5.

Having one launch tournament isn't an accurate way to judge the popularity of a game that will 100% clash time wise with the other games at the Evo qualifier. How many people would count SFxT as their main game? Would I be far off if I said...two? SC would have more people that count it as their main game which would also mean less time spent waiting for people from other tournaments. In terms of skill and hype, SC has been played more and people would be at a higher level. I don't know about KoF but I'm sure there would be a turnout from some of the northern bunch too and the same points go for that game over SFxT as well.

It's not a sense of entitlement that I have, it's more like a resentment for a popular game being arbitrarily excluded from the biggest event of the year. It's at least something that should be decided on by the community(which has been around before the popularity of SF - just not in the scale it is now - for which I am delighted by the way!)

I'm not trying to dictate, I am simply airing another view which has some valid arguments... and I have run plenty of tournaments believe it or not(and still do when I can make the time).

I know the community is extremely helpful and encourages games to take off, in fact this fighting game community is the best community I think I've ever seen in this country and I know it will continue to grow in the future.
    I know nobody has a problem with SC5, I mean why would there be, but I feel obliged to speak for the game seeing as nobody else has. I realise it's late in the day to do so, but I didn't see this thread until recently and I assumed that any game being played at Evo would be at a qualifier for it.

The only game that anyone from Ireland has a chance of competing at a reasonable level at Evo in is SF4 - the event has been centred around that for the last two years. The other games are there to give props to the scenes for those games for running events, and there are small prizes, but at the end of the day it's part of the fundraising to send someone to Evo to compete in SF4.

What people consider their "main game" isn't really a relevant factor (I've never heard anyone ever mention this as a factor for what games should be run at a fighting game tournament). It comes down to numbers and the games chosen have all shown that they can get consistent numbers for tournaments. I don't doubt that SC5 could do the same, but it hasn't really happened yet, and as was originally pointed out, it's a bit of a stretch to ask for it to be at the Evo qualifier in those circumstances given that fact.

Having one launch tournament isn't an accurate way to judge the popularity of a game that will 100% clash time wise with the other games at the Evo qualifier. How many people would count SFxT as their main game? Would I be far off if I said...two? SC would have more people that count it as their main game which would also mean less time spent waiting for people from other tournaments. In terms of skill and hype, SC has been played more and people would be at a higher level. I don't know about KoF but I'm sure there would be a turnout from some of the northern bunch too and the same points go for that game over SFxT as well.

It's not a sense of entitlement that I have, it's more like a resentment for a popular game being arbitrarily excluded from the biggest event of the year. It's at least something that should be decided on by the community(which has been around before the popularity of SF - just not in the scale it is now - for which I am delighted by the way!)

I'm not trying to dictate, I am simply airing another view which has some valid arguments... and I have run plenty of tournaments believe it or not(and still do when I can make the time).

I know the community is extremely helpful and encourages games to take off, in fact this fighting game community is the best community I think I've ever seen in this country and I know it will continue to grow in the future.
    I know nobody has a problem with SC5, I mean why would there be, but I feel obliged to speak for the game seeing as nobody else has. I realise it's late in the day to do so, but I didn't see this thread until recently and I assumed that any game being played at Evo would be at a qualifier for it.

SC5 isn't the only game with a dedicated fan base to it

BB also has about as many if not more then SC5

I'm not entirely aware of the issue so I won't stray to far off course but it seems that AE Strekken and Marvel were all givens for the event and MK was added in because of it's active community or presence at last years evo Qual, Not really sure why its MK but regardless, theres just too many fighting games to cater to imo.

Quick mentions

Strekken is there because it's the new kid on the block plain and simple, Plus gems are gdlk:pac:

Just a notice on KOF, like...3 peopleplay that game, last time I checked Doom's Terry and Robert Terry look alike were beasting in the 30min grand finale at last DOC

It's nice to see that some members of the SC5 scene want to have input and it was great seeing you guys at casuals last wed!

Reading Dreddys post, truly this is to send the AE champ to represent Ireland, the rest are side tourneys essentially:)

• Advertisement

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    The only game that anyone from Ireland has a chance of competing at a reasonable level at Evo in is SF4
    That is simply not true.

In addition, I'm not saying that the funding should go to anything other than SF as it by far the largest and most popular game and it 100% deserves it.

I would disagree with the train of thought that believes SFxT would generate more to help send someone to Evo than SC5/KoF, and I also think that time spent running the SFxT could be spent running two smaller tournaments namely SC and KoF which is the angle I was coming from with regards to the main game thing.

This is all for the sake of discussion the way, I have already accepted the fact that SC won't be there, I'll still be there anyway.

Advertisement