Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approaching a Girl in the Street

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

From what I can remember I have only been approached by a guy once on the street. I was sitting waiting for the dart in Bray while reading some trash mag like heat when a guy sat down next to me on the bench I was sitting on. He first said something like 'Nice weather isnt it?' Me looking up from my mag said ye it is a lovely day and then after some more small talk he asks me 'would you like to go out sometime?' This was my reaction :eek: and then this :o. I couldnt believe it as this never happens to me or anyone I really know. Its the Irish way as this was something like out of the movies. I was very flattered but just taken a back so just said something like 'em I dont really know you so I dont think so' while nervously laughing. Ye I was young and just so scarlet and probably weary of strangers :D What I would do now for a cute guy to approach me while getting a coffee or waiting for the bus :P

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

I used to work in a supermarket (not in the street, but not in a boozy situation either) in town and two anecdotes stand out:

Both guys were regular customers with whom I had good rapport.

1. One chatted to me about his dinner that night (ready meal) and aked me what time I was off at and did I go to the cinema often, or ever go after work. He left a ticket at my till. It was all very awkward as he didn't say anything about it. I hope to this day it was a mistake, as I didn't go. (I know, I'm a horrible cow - but he didn't ask me at all and I think confidence - faked or otherwise - is quite important)

2. Another guy used to come in a lot and we chatted a lot. He was very intriguing and made me laugh. He asked me out, very casually, for a coffee sometime. The next time he was in, we organised the "sometime" at my suggestion that we do so.

A bit of both taking the initiative works best.
    Phat Cat wrote: »
    Well then it's about time that women started to take the initiative then isn't it?

Most of my female friends would never dream of doing this, yet constantly complain that they are single. One particular instance when we were in a pub, my friend was making this complaint (again) whilst also saying how a guy at the next table had caught her eye. There is NO point in thinking what "could" be - jump in and do something! So, she went to the loo and upon her return I asked the guy his name, introduced her and left them there. She was so shocked I had left her there I think, but they dated for a while after that. So success IMO!

Some girls can be very freaked out by alleged "stalkers". I think the American attitude, as mentioned before in this thread, is the way to go. It is normal to want to date, to go out with, have sex with others. Catholic Ireland is not "dead and gone" at all at all. Personally, I would take it as a compliment if a guy approached me in the street.

Go for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

It happened to me years ago in London when I was in my early twenties. I was 'picked up' twice by men who stopped me on the street. I had a few dates with both of them (not at the same time) to restaurants, bars etc. Nothing lasted, both were considerably older than me and I always had a slight creepy feeling that prevented me from being on my own with them. I always made sure that we were in a public place and never let them into the house. One was American and the other had been quite famous in the 70's (!)

Oh, perhaps I should mention that one was driving a Porche and the other a Jaguar XJS. The cars made a difference. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Happyturtle00

When I lived in the US, I saw this happen alot. You'd meet someone on the street and go for a drink/coffee. It happened regularly to friends of mine too, and we just accepted it as the norm. It didn't come across as creepy because loads of people did it.

Haven't really seen it happen here in Ireland much, but I certainly wouldn't complain or think "he's a creep" if it did. Irish lads have a nice cheekiness to them that they should use to their advantage. I know if a guy could make me laugh, I'd be willing to hear him out.

Having read the thread, I'd nearly consider doing it myself. Just need to figure out what to say....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

annascott wrote: »
    It happened to me years ago in London when I was in my early twenties. I was 'picked up' twice by men who stopped me on the street. I had a few dates with both of them (not at the same time) to restaurants, bars etc. Nothing lasted, both were considerably older than me and I always had a slight creepy feeling that prevented me from being on my own with them. I always made sure that we were in a public place and never let them into the house. One was American and the other had been quite famous in the 70's (!)

Oh, perhaps I should mention that one was driving a Porche and the other a Jaguar XJS. The cars made a difference. :p

If you had a 'creepy feeling' why did you go out with them more than once or at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

If you had a 'creepy feeling' why did you go out with them more than once or at all?
    |
    |
    \/
    Oh, perhaps I should mention that one was driving a Porche and the other a Jaguar XJS. The cars made a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

If someone thought I was beautiful enough, to approach me on the street & tell me so, I would be very flattered :) Hasn't happened yet! Don't expect it to either!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wivy

Went up to a guy the other night and start chatting to him..
    Was slightly awks when the gf came over... :L ah well!

Advertisement