Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approaching a Girl in the Street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Giruilla wrote: »
    I think the hardest part about chatting a girl up on the street is not knowing if she's single or not. If she isn't, nothings going to happen no matter how well you do. The chances of a girl in a bar being single are significantly higher, so percentage and effort wise its easier to do it there.
    ihsb wrote: »
    Of course, because only single girls go do bars:confused:

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

Giselle wrote: »
    They're probably more likely to be single if they're out in a bar without a boyfriend. Not guarenteed, but more likely.

Lies!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This happened to me before a number of years back when i was working as a field service engineer. Went over to the girl behind the counter to get my docket signed off.

She signed it and i gave her the carbon copy,

'this is missing your number' she said.

'Ermm i dont think the other half would let me get away with handing out my number' < me

'Ah sure i wont tell her'

'ehhh got to go more calls to make'

Id get some bate around the head if she saw that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

When I was working in a fast food place in the States I used to constantly chatted up by girls when they found out I was Irish, got 5 numbers in a shift once :eek: and never really had to say very much. Really nice experience, awful pity I had to come back to Ireland, never reached those heights since :mad:.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

Reminds me of a time I was in a spar in Dublin city centre getting a roll. I noticed the sandwich maker had a strange but interesting looking necklace. I wasn't hitting on her at all when I said something along the lines of "that's a nice necklace". I was just giving someone a little compliment.

"My ***BOYFRIEND*** gave it to me."

Okey doke then!

Girls will often say they have a boyfriend if they don't have one.
    Don't fall at the first fence and give up straight away?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Some gorgeous guy approached me on the street and asked me out, wow

Some average looking/ugly guy approached me on the street and asked me out, what a weirdo and creep

Though the man said the exact same thing

I used to go into bookshops in Dublin all the time.
    You can't go wrong because it's the last place a girl will expect a guy to chat her up - the conversation is going to be about books so it can lead anywhere and there are sure to plenty of coffee shops to go to. You can be sure the girl is on her break or loafing with nothing to do so an instant date is on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

It never happens usually but got stopped twice on the street in one weekend recently which was bizzare. I'm in a long standing and happy relationship but it was still a nice ego boost! Have no idea why it happened, wasn't dressed provocatively or looking any differently to usual. First guy I was slightly alarmed by 'cause he kind of pounced on me out of the blue and wasn't expecting it at all so was a bit weirded out. Felt guilty afterwards 'cause having asked out a stranger myself years ago, I know it takes a fair bit of balls and I should have been more polite in making my excuses. Second guy was a bit less "BOOM!" in your face so actually had a chat and explained that I'd a boyfriend and it was all very proper and grown up. Both were good looking and seemed pleasant so had I been single, I'd have probably have gone on a date with them simply for having the guts to approach you outside of the stereotypical 2am pissed in a bar scenario.

I've non-Irish friends who get really irritated that here you can't really spontaneously get chatting to a stranger of the opposite sex without assumptions being made that one or other of you is trying it on. That may be the case in some circumstances but it can be pretty frustrating when you feel you do have to drop in your relationship status pretty promptly in order to not be wasting someone's time if that is what their original intention for talking to you is. You can't win because if they are actually just looking for a friendly chat you seem like a cocky, self-obsessed wagon but if they're not, you're at risk of being labelled all sorts for not telling them sooner.

It's a tricky one but jill_valentine's right. Be friendly, funny but non-intrusive and I think most people would be flattered at the least!

awec wrote: »
    Does that chasing after a girl even when she rejects you work outside of the movies?

Come back to the real world pal. In the real world women will try to fob you off whether they are interested or not. If you are too scared of rejection nothing is ever going to happen. Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

got 5 numbers in a shift once :eek:.

wow, you were getting the shift and STILL getting numbers?

PLAYYAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fungums

hey, i know a guy who was in supermacs in tuam one day, there had been a gaa match and the place was packed. he asked a woman(who was sitting on her own) if he could sit beside her as there was no free seats. anyways they are about 6 months married now. moral of the story yeah it can happen here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

snafuk35 wrote: »

I honestly was just being nice. She was overly defensive. Maybe she got hit on a lot in that sandwich bar or something.

I honestly was just being nice. She was overly defensive. Maybe she got hit on a lot in that sandwich bar or something.

Yeah you have to be able to overcome that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Fungums wrote: »
    hey, i know a guy who was in supermacs in tuam one day, there had been a gaa match and the place was packed. he asked a woman(who was sitting on her own) if he could sit beside her as there was no free seats. anyways they are about 6 months married now. moral of the story yeah it can happen here

Probably brother and sister :P Only joking :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CarlsBurg

I believe when you ask a girl out and she says she has a boyfriend... thats it, move on.

Its usually (A,) its an excuse as she is not interested or (B,) she generally has a boyfriend. One of the other. The whole "playing hard to get" doesnt happen that much in the real world. Unless we bring teases or head-wreckers into the equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

Yeah you have to be able to overcome that.

Seems she's not the only one who thought I was hitting on her. Seems you can't just be friendly to the opposite sex these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CarlsBurg

Seems she's not the only one who thought I was hitting on her. Seems you can't just be friendly to the opposite sex these days!

Yeah,
    I know what you mean, man. Think it just comes down to the mentality of the girl.. and to a certain degree, the age.

I've seen so many 18-23ish year olds just instantly assume a guy is flirting with them if you talk to them in a 'cold' situation. But of course its illregardless of age too. Just depends of the mentality.

It can be very annoying. Like you are just being friendly, nothing in it. I know a bloke who was talking to a girl working in a newsagents once. Just being friendly. He was met with "WHY are you talking to me?" :rolleyes:

I might actually try and do it this week.. if I have the guts. Probably won't though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

You should defo go for it!
    If you get shot down, so what? On to the next one.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dandelionmind

This has happened me a few times in Dublin. Each time, I was quite embarrassed and caught off guard, because as people have said, it's not the done thing here.

I was coming out of Chapter's bookstore in town about a year ago when a guy who'd been standing opposite me in a queue approached me. He asked what time it was, even though he was wearing a watch :pac: then started up a conversation about the books we'd both bought.
    After a few minutes, he asked me to go for a drink with him. I was fairly hesitant, as I had loads of bags with me and didn't know him, but he was confident enough to convince me to go with him.

We had a few drinks, chatted and it was a fun, if slightly unexpected way, to spend an hour or two. Nothing came of it, because towards the end, he became quite pushy about hooking up etc which I didn't like, so I called it quits and went home.

However, I do respect people who have the courage to approach others and strike up a conversation, or ask them out. That definitely takes guts! Sure, sometimes they could turn out to be "weirdos" but perhaps some of them are just genuine guys or girls taking some initiative and defying the 'I-have-to-be-drunk-to-make-conversation-with-you' idea.

So it seems a bookstore is the best place to do this then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

So it seems a bookstore is the best place to do this then?

Don't get your hopes up.

If you're going simply to get a woman it won't happen.

karaokeman wrote: »
    Don't get your hopes up.

If you're going simply to get a woman it won't happen.

Ah no, it would mostly be just an experiment to see what would happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Most experiments have a control.

The experiment is probably more how you approach them/strike up a conversation (i.e try one way and if that doesnt work try a different approach). The experiment shouldnt be about what their reaction will be-that is not under your control.

This has happened me a few times in Dublin. Each time, I was quite embarrassed and caught off guard, because as people have said, it's not the done thing here.

I was coming out of Chapter's bookstore in town about a year ago when a guy who'd been standing opposite me in a queue approached me. He asked what time it was, even though he was wearing a watch :pac: then started up a conversation about the books we'd both bought.
    After a few minutes, he asked me to go for a drink with him. I was fairly hesitant, as I had loads of bags with me and didn't know him, but he was confident enough to convince me to go with him.

We had a few drinks, chatted and it was a fun, if slightly unexpected way, to spend an hour or two. Nothing came of it, because towards the end, he became quite pushy about hooking up etc which I didn't like, so I called it quits and went home.

However, I do respect people who have the courage to approach others and strike up a conversation, or ask them out. That definitely takes guts! Sure, sometimes they could turn out to be "weirdos" but perhaps some of them are just genuine guys or girls taking some initiative and defying the 'I-have-to-be-drunk-to-make-conversation-with-you' idea.

Chapters is one of my haunts!:D Better than coppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I think bookshops and the like are definitely the way to go. When there's some common ground, the person you're talking to is more likely to feel comfortable.

Some tips though. If you're chatting up someone in a book shop
    1. make sure you're not carrying a self help book
    2. or 'The Joy of Sex' book
    3. or Mein Kampf

Do
    1. carry a cook/gardening/DIY book, very generic plus it makes you look self sufficient and on the ball!

Feeona wrote: »
    I think bookshops and the like are definitely the way to go. When there's some common ground, the person you're talking to is more likely to feel comfortable.

Some tips though. If you're chatting up someone in a book shop
    1. make sure you're not carrying a self help book
    2. or 'The Joy of Sex' book
    3. or Mein Kampf

Do
    1. carry a cook/gardening/DIY book, very generic plus it makes you look self sufficient and on the ball!

But if too many men are turning up in bookshops then women are going to cotton to what's happening! Ssh! Don't tell the dopes who don't read about this goldmine approach! They will ruin everything!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Ah no, it would mostly be just an experiment to see what would happen.

If or when you introduce yourself to a woman, for god sake dont say you name is boneyaresbogman. :pac:

Advertisement