Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approaching a Girl in the Street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I wouldn't approach an irish woman in the street for the time of day never mind a date.

The foreigners however...

Ah here, are people still hung up on that Polish wimmin v Irish wimmin buzz?

edit: oops, just saw Ottis' post :o

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

It's not really crap. Girls that are not irish are more approachable and accepting of this behaviour. Please don't be so insensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Giselle wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing.

Theres a lot wrong with feeling as though you're being predated upon though. Ask any girl who's been cornered at closing time by a guy who sees you as a walking orifice (or collection thereof).

Predated? Not sure what you mean there.

Cornered, who mentioned anything about being cornered?

A walking orifice, implying that he just wants sex which brings me back to...

...whats wrong with sex?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

It's not really crap. Girls that are not irish are more approachable and accepting of this behaviour. Please don't be so insensitive.

Because you have approached every foreign woman and every Irish woman in the country Im sure?

Ive told you once not to post that crap in here.Dont do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

It's not crap. You are right. I have not approached every irish and every foreign girl in the street, but are surveys done by approaching every person? No. Ban me if you must but your argument is just as bad. I stayed on the thread topic. I gave my opinion on approaching girls. I don't approach irish girls. I have no doubt that there are lovely ones out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

guitarzero wrote: »

A walking orifice, implying that he just wants sex which brings me back to...

...whats wrong with sex?

Nothing. As I've said.

Theres very much wrong with being treated as available gynecology instead of a human being.

Being preyed upon as JUST such is a distinctly uncomfortable experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Giselle wrote: »
    Nothing. As I've said.

Theres very much wrong with being treated as available gynecology instead of a human being.

Being preyed upon as JUST such is a distinctly uncomfortable experience.

You seem to say that you feel like a victim by men showing interest in you, that you are being preyed upon, I dont get it. You're certainly not being clear anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I did this last week, and gave the girl my number to leave the ball in her court from there! She was delighted and looked forward to meeting me again. Nearly 7 days later and i have yet to hear from her :( I guess I am just paranoid that I gave her the wrong number, maybe she is playing some sort of game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Cianan2 wrote: »
    I did this last week, and gave the girl my number to leave the ball in her court from there! She was delighted and looked forward to meeting me again. Nearly 7 days later and i have yet to hear from her :( I guess I am just paranoid that I gave her the wrong number, maybe she is playing some sort of game!

This somebody you just met on the street? You could've given her the wrong number, she could've lost it...don't go crazy trying to figure out why. The most likely answer is she was just being polite when you gave her your number, and wasn't really interested in meeting you again.

Absolutely fair play to you for approaching a girl and giving her your number. If you haven't heard from her in 7 days though don't drive yourself mad trying to figure out why. Onwards and upwards. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

It's not crap. You are right. I have not approached every irish and every foreign girl in the street, but are surveys done by approaching every person? No. Ban me if you must but your argument is just as bad. I stayed on the thread topic. I gave my opinion on approaching girls. I don't approach irish girls. I have no doubt that there are lovely ones out there.

Whoever said a Freedom of speech exists?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Yo! MTV SUCKS

Im just gunna put this here

http://www.travelbumshow.com/travelbum/

its basically a few short episodes following around a photographer around new york and what he gets up to,an absolute fantastic watch and would reccomend to anyone with a genuine interest in this type of shtuff

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pauge2007

Pembily wrote: »
    Happened me with a guy in a shop I had been in a few times. I said yes and we had a fun few weeks :)

Would love to try going up to a girl sometime and trying to wooh her!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pauge2007

Im just gunna put this here

http://www.travelbumshow.com/travelbum/

its basically a few short episodes following around a photographer around new york and what he gets up to,an absolute fantastic watch and would reccomend to anyone with a genuine interest in this type of shtuff

Thats really good show!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 wordisbond

I've done this before and still do sometimes. Wanted to try it and the first time I did it took me 2 hours to work up the courage. World didn't end. Totally worth it. I say to anybody thinking about it go for it.

I can haz advice though...

If your from a small town/college this kinda thing might come back and bite ya in the ass and has done to me before. You will inevitably run into them again. Can be awkward. Do it in the big citay!

I think stopping people walking in the street is a bit weird. Sitting beside somebody or approaching somebody who is chilling and not walking to a destination is much more comfortable and less weird I would say.

Be honest. Don't ask for directions/the time etc.

1.Excuse me (Smile) 2. Genuine compliment 3. My name's ____ 4. Stick out hand

Doesn't really matter what happens after this because you win at life!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

It really is. If Irish girls had the massive issue with being approached/chatted up and generally came on to that the odd sad bastard on this forum portrays then we would have a declining population.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wivy

what if it was the other way around...
    would you be wierded out if a girl approached you on a street? its something i wouldnt mind giving a go..

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

wivy wrote: »
    what if it was the other way around...
    would you be wierded out if a girl approached you on a street? its something i wouldnt mind giving a go..

Wouldn't be weirded out at all, there would be initial shock as it is something that has never happened but I would be really impressed with a woman for doing it, there are always nerves involved with such an approach so the confidence someone has to have to get over the nerves and just go for it is a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I'm really interested in giving this a try, been reading the thread over the last two days. I want to check what ratio of people accept and shoot down straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dtipp

Many years ago I was out jogging with a friend of mine (two fellas) and we passed a bus stop and we discussed the gorgeous girl that was among those standing there. We weren't far from the spot where we turn around and jog back, so we passed the bus stop again about 10-15 minutes later and she was still there, my friend stopped, chatted to her for a few minutes, asked her out, she said yes, and they went out for a few weeks.

I would never have had the balls to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

The Snipe wrote: »
    I'm really interested in giving this a try, been reading the thread over the last two days. I want to check what ratio of people accept and shoot down straight away.

I think it's best not to think of the chances of you being rejected or not. Just accept the facts, each and every time you approach you do not know what will happen and can't control what will happen. Be ok with that. No matter what happens you are still the same as before. The world goes and and no one cares, it's forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I think it's best not to think of the chances of you being rejected or not. Just accept the facts, each and every time you approach you do not know what will happen and can't control what will happen. Be ok with that. No matter what happens you are still the same as before. The world goes and and no one cares, it's forgotten about.

True, but as mentioned earlier in the thread by someone, it'd be more of an experiment to see how people react to people randomly entering their comfort zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Approach the guy/girl, smile, be nice and see what happens, if they can't be nice back the problem is theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SEEMagazine

I've a million of these stories, but all from when I was a few lbs lighter, and a LOT more hair.

Asked out a stunner from Centra on Oliver Plunkett once (she said yes)... Nice lass and we stayed friends for ages after (no idea where she lives these days, or even what her surname is anymore).

There was a girl from the Music Dept who used appear where I was quite a lot, very hot, but the notion that I was being shyly stalked was unsettling, even though I would have said yes. Funny really.

I've no idea what the norm for this is in Croatia, though I wouldn't be interested these days. Of course, if you like the black haired big brown eyed type I'd say you're spoilt for choice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

if you like the black haired big brown eyed type I'd say you're spoilt for choice here.

Karaokeman does like his brunettes ;).

But yeah I also intend to start a habit of talking to anyone I see sitting by themselves on a bus/train or on the street.

I probably won't stop people walking on the street as that is understandably weird and would knock my confidence.

Probably best to just see how it goes first, no thinking about acceptance/rejection until after, the more you think about what will happen thats beyond your control the more daunting it becomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

I've a million of these stories, but all from when I was a few lbs lighter, and a LOT more hair.

Asked out a stunner from Centra on Oliver Plunkett once (she said yes)... Nice lass and we stayed friends for ages after (no idea where she lives these days, or even what her surname is anymore).

There was a girl from the Music Dept who used appear where I was quite a lot, very hot, but the notion that I was being shyly stalked was unsettling, even though I would have said yes. Funny really.

I've no idea what the norm for this is in Croatia, though I wouldn't be interested these days. Of course, if you like the black haired big brown eyed type I'd say you're spoilt for choice here.

Know of a friend who went on holidays to Croatia, when he arrived at his destination, he asked the first lady he saw for directions to his accomodation.... they are now married and living in Croatia ten years after.
    Moral of the story !!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Of course, if you like the black haired big brown eyed type I'd say you're spoilt for choice here.

I'm moving to Croatia.
    shawnee wrote: »
    Know of a friend who went on holidays to Croatia, when he arrived at his destination, he asked the first lady he saw for directions to his accomodation.... they are now married and living in Croatia ten years after.
    Moral of the story !!:p

Is it sad that the first thing I thought of was, did he really need directions or was he just using that as an excuse to get talking to her and he really knew exactly where he was going all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SEEMagazine

No, directions here are awkward... The Slavic languages bear zero relationship to that which we're more familiar with. We all probably have a smattering of French, German, etc, and would be able to follow street names etc, should we need to get directions.

Here... Every street name changes when you describe it as a destination, from when it's used in an address... Plus there are 4-5 different endings which are used, from -ćeva, čeva, oka, ova, xyz, and abc. It can get confusing.

As for that guy who married and settled here... He wouldn't have been an architect in his former life perchance? Into his Irish dancing?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 flaccidmember

That_Guy wrote: »
    Walking up the main street in Ashbourne and this gorgeous girl walked by. I passed her but I stopped and ran back to her and said, "excuse me. I know this is completely out of the blue but you're very pretty and was wondering if you fancied getting some lunch".

"Eh no thanks you weirdo" was her reply.

Fúck it. Least I tried.

You should've then said 'You actually look like a stray cat with the mange that has been neglected all its life, so I thought I'd be charitable and try and say something nice to you. Now that I've found out that you're just a castrating, narrow-minded, issue-ridden yokel who likes to insult people that pay them compliments, I take it all back'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

You should've then said 'You actually look like a stray cat with the mange that has been neglected all its life, so I thought I'd be charitable and try and say something nice to you. Now that I've found out that you're just a castrating, narrow-minded, issue-ridden yokel who likes to insult people that pay them compliments, I take it all back'

Jaysus. :eek:

Advertisement