Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approaching a Girl in the Street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Rowanvella199

I did it once while drunk, we swapped numbers and arranged a date and all... Im a man of my word (however drunken that word may be) and after two minutes the first thought that went through my head was what the hell was i thinking! I think it would be cool if it was somthing that happened more often though, as i think people in this country are very stuck in there ways, I sure think its a better way of meeting someone that in a club drunk! Which is far more common in this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Cant move in my local book shop these days. Kip is full of PUAs :rolleyes:
    they see me stroll in, catch a glimpse of the gruaig, turn, "Damn it's a bloke", and go back to pretending to browse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

snafuk35 wrote: »
    Maybe he met someone else? I often get a half dozen or more number on a Saturday afternoon and then of that number at least one or two dates lined up for the week. A guy can get laid once or twice a week and that works out at last 50 to 100 women a year.
    Warren Beatty the famous actor is believed to have bedded 30,000+ women over a three decade period which works out at roughly 3 women a day.
    In the book Hollywood Hellraisers he used to target women everywhere he went - whether it was his co-stars or girls who were chambermaids or waitresses or barmaids or girls he exchanged numbers with on the street.

Warren_Beatty.jpg

Statistics show that the average man has sex with only 9 women.
    I pity them!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/relationships/sexual-health-and-advice/8958520/Average-man-has-9-sexual-partners-in-lifetime-women-have-4.html
    lol; while there's nothing wrong with NSA stuff, if all that a person aspires to with the opposite sex, is notches on a bedpost for the sake of bragging numbers (and with a ridiculous role model of 30,000 partners), it kind of reveals a sadly warped view of the opposite sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Maybe he met someone else? I often get a half dozen or more number on a Saturday afternoon and then of that number at least one or two dates lined up for the week. A guy can get laid once or twice a week and that works out at last 50 to 100 women a year.
    Warren Beatty the famous actor is believed to have bedded 30,000+ women over a three decade period which works out at roughly 3 women a day.
    In the book Hollywood Hellraisers he used to target women everywhere he went - whether it was his co-stars or girls who were chambermaids or waitresses or barmaids or girls he exchanged numbers with on the street.

Warren_Beatty.jpg

Statistics show that the average man has sex with only 9 women.
    I pity them!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/relationships/sexual-health-and-advice/8958520/Average-man-has-9-sexual-partners-in-lifetime-women-have-4.html

There it is. The sad moment when talk of meeting girls turns into 'targeting' women everywhere for sex. :(

Maybe thats why the street approach is generally unwelcome in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

Giselle wrote: »
    There it is. The sad moment when talk of meeting girls turns into 'targeting' women everywhere for sex. :(

Do I detect a hint of jealousy?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

Sad? Sometimes I weep in the arms of my women. Yeah.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i talk to people randomly in bookshops if they're picking up a good book i can recommend, once on the bus about a WoT book
    it's never intended as a pick up though
    but still, talking to strangers isn't that hard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I know! Wait, erm, whats wrong with sex??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I can sort of see this being weird in my own head if I was approaching a girl solely for the purpose of getting her number. I'd say these things are more successful if you see someone you fancy and get chatting to them with no absolute goal you have to reach at the end. I think it would be better to say to yourself "I fancy her, I think I'll go say hello and see how it goes" with no specific aim in mind other than getting to know her a bit rather than "I fancy her, I'll go see if I can get her number". I think the latter ratchets up the pressure on you and perhaps makes it come across like that is your only goal.

I know if some random girl approached me in the street and wanted my number straight away I'd probably be completely weirded out by it. It probably wouldn't matter if she was super hot, I'd be thinking "This is a wind-up or something". But if we were chatting for a while, nice and relaxed then it would probably seem quite natural.

In my head anyway, I think it's how you categorise the whole thing in your head. If you are thinking "I'm going to try and get her number" it just puts pressure on and perhaps that can manifest itself in your body language and whatnot and put someone off. Probably better to go approach, say hello and just aim to have a chat. You might not even like them once you get talking to them and if you do, well you can still chat away and try for the number a bit later.

Anyway, just my thoughts, I'm probably too chicken to ever put any of it into practice haha.

Besides, women say they want to be considered equal etc. I say us men just put our feet up and stop approaching and let them do the leg work for a change :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sunssocks

and then tell her that you lied and that you really want to drink a cup of tea with her and get to know her. And now be special. Tell her you will place an ad in the local paper to invite her, with a funny but cute codeword like sunsocks. tell her, when she is interested she can give you her email in this way. the surprise will be with you and later she has time to think about you :)

if she likes you it will work.
    1. you just ask for the time, you dont emberass
    2. you are honest, you say ou lied because you liked her and want to get toknow her
    3. you prove that you are seriously interested and loveable crazy becuse you take a difficult, unusual way :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

sunssocks wrote: »
    Tell her you will place an ad in the local paper to invite her, with a funny but cute codeword like sunsocks.

sure, if you want to completely freak her out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Do I detect a hint of jealousy?

Dont post in this thread again as its my opinion that you are nothing but a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

sunssocks wrote: »
    and then tell her that you lied and that you really want to drink a cup of tea with her and get to know her. And now be special. Tell her you will place an ad in the local paper to invite her, with a funny but cute codeword like sunsocks. tell her, when she is interested she can give you her email in this way. the surprise will be with you and later she has time to think about you :)

if she likes you it will work.
    1. you just ask for the time, you dont emberass
    2. you are honest, you say ou lied because you liked her and want to get toknow her
    3. you prove that you are seriously interested and loveable crazy becuse you take a difficult, unusual way :D

Teach me your ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 tis a fine line

I would be flattered if a man approached me in the street, or anywhere for that matter... :o (provided it was done tactfully of course)

I dunno if it's just me, but no men are asking me anything, anywhere!

I've been told i'm good looking, and i do get out & about...

but nothing. I'm beginning to think this online dating/sex business is to blame...

Men don't have to bother anymore :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Well this is the thing isn't it? A lot of irish girls seem to think they're above guys talking to them and such and a lot of them (not all of them of course) have a very skewed view of things!

Girl: "Hey, you know that good looking guy? Well I got his number and I rang him last night at 3am on a private number and just kept quiet! When he answered it sounded like he was alone so he must be single! But i wasn't sure so I found out where he lived and went around to his house to see if there was more than one car outside but there wasn't!

So then I found out where he worked and turned up outside his job as he left to try and strike up a conversation with him but I missed him. Perhaps i'll just send him some anonymous texts and see if he'd be interested in me!

Friend: "Oh my God, that's so clever! He'd be crazy not to go out with you anyway, that's so romantic"

Girl: "Yeah i know. Oh, and you'll never guess what happened today. You know that ugly guy who fancies me? Well......... He said HELLO to me today as I walked past him"

Friend: "OH MY GOD!!!! WHAT A STALKER!!!!!!!!"

WTF is this??? Is making up a CRAZY conversation meant to prove something? I've never had any conversation like that with any girl or guy for that matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

mood wrote: »
    Well this is the thing isn't it? A lot of irish girls seem to think they're above guys talking to them and such and a lot of them (not all of them of course) have a very skewed view of things!

Girl: "Hey, you know that good looking guy? Well I got his number and I rang him last night at 3am on a private number and just kept quiet! When he answered it sounded like he was alone so he must be single! But i wasn't sure so I found out where he lived and went around to his house to see if there was more than one car outside but there wasn't!

So then I found out where he worked and turned up outside his job as he left to try and strike up a conversation with him but I missed him. Perhaps i'll just send him some anonymous texts and see if he'd be interested in me!

Friend: "Oh my God, that's so clever! He'd be crazy not to go out with you anyway, that's so romantic"

Girl: "Yeah i know. Oh, and you'll never guess what happened today. You know that ugly guy who fancies me? Well......... He said HELLO to me today as I walked past him"

Friend: "OH MY GOD!!!! WHAT A STALKER!!!!!!!!"

WTF is this??? Is making up a CRAZY conversation meant to prove something? I've never had any conversation like that with any girl or guy for that matter!

Good for you! But the sum of your personal experiences don't equal what exists in the greater world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Good for you! But the sum of your personal experiences don't equal what exists in the greater world

Have you ever actually heard any conversation by a girl remotely as you have described?

I really doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Have you ever actually heard any conversation by a girl remotely as you have described?

I really doubt it.

As I've already stated, the "conversation" is exaggerated, but its still based on actual experience and general sentiment.

So yes, I have heard conversations like this

but nothing. I'm beginning to think this online dating/sex business is to blame...

*glances over at the online dating thread*

Oh we have to bother alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

Well then it's about time that women started to take the initiative then isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

guitarzero wrote: »
    I know! Wait, erm, whats wrong with sex??

Absolutely nothing.

Theres a lot wrong with feeling as though you're being predated upon though. Ask any girl who's been cornered at closing time by a guy who sees you as a walking orifice (or collection thereof).

Phat Cat wrote: »
    Well then it's about time that women started to take the initiative then isn't it?

I dunno, i've taken the initiative a few times in my life and it has never worked, i got the feeling that the men in question were turned off as soon as they realised i was interested?

Only want what you can't have syndrome?

That could be an issue with approaching women in the street also...

I suppose to do it successfully, a man would have to be confident, not cocky, friendly, and a little intriguing, to instill curiosity in a woman?

Galvasean wrote: »
    *glances over at the online dating thread*

Oh we have to bother alright...

Maybe i just don't get it so... mind you i have been out of practice

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

I went to visit a sex shop once, just for a nosy, but the owner had gone to run an errand and left a sign saying "back in 5 mins", so i decided to wait. There was a bus stop nearby so I acted as if I was just waiting for a bus. Some guy comes over and says Hi, I seen you from across the street and wanted to say hello, luckily Im waiting for the same bus". I was really chuffed but have a boyfriend, and told him so. He said that was fine and smiled back. Just then the bus arrives and he gets on. He sees I don't get on and starts saying he not a stalker and I shouldn't be so rude! I didn't know what to do so just walked off. I bet he thought I was a stuck up bitch.. Ah well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Catxscotch wrote: »
    I went to visit a sex shop once, just for a nosy,

What did you buy? :pac:

What did you buy? :pac:

A 'nosy' obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Galvasean wrote: »
    A 'nosy' obviously.

Ah, is that what the young ladies call them these days :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Catxscotch wrote: »
    I bet he thought I was a stuck up bitch.. Ah well!!

Turns out you were just plain old horny! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

I wouldn't approach an irish woman in the street for the time of day never mind a date.

The foreigners however...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I wouldn't approach an irish woman in the street for the time of day never mind a date.

The foreigners however...

no_country_for_old_men_tommy_lee_jones.jpg

Dont start that crap in here please.

Advertisement