Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approaching a Girl in the Street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Off to Easons I go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

So it seems a bookstore is the best place to do this then?

Bookstores have never struck me as a hotbed of romantic activity before.

I'm starting to think buying a Kindle was a mistake. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

CarlsBurg wrote: »
    snafuk35 wrote: »
    Girls will often say they have a boyfriend if they don't have one.
    Don't fall at the first fence and give up straight away?

I believe when you ask a girl out and she says she has a boyfriend... thats it, move on.

Its usually (A,) its an excuse as she is not interested or (B,) she generally has a boyfriend. One of the other. The whole "playing hard to get" doesnt happen that much in the real world. Unless we bring teases or head-wreckers into the equation.

Sometimes they say they have a boyfriend so you'll be discrete about moving things forward. Usually it means she's not interested whether it's true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

While sitting on a dublin bus a few years ago a french girl started talking to me. She was over visiting with her family, whom were sitting a few seats up from us. It was a nice enough talk, her telling me stuff about herself and asking a few questions of me though naturally I was in defensive mode, I was shyer back then, and it felt kind of weird trying to chat to a girl with her family right there. Anyhow, after chatting for a while, my bus does a tour of dublin in its route :mad:, and asking for my name which she couldn't understand until I added a french tint to it she wrote out her email address for me and asked me to mail her.

So I never did mail her in the end and nothing like it has happened since. Of note I feel I'd be a lot more open to a situation like that happening nowadays and would be more engaging in the conversation or maybe that was my one and only shot, who knows, C'est la vie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

cade wrote: »
    While sitting on a dublin bus a few years ago a french girl started talking to me. She was over visiting with her family, whom were sitting a few seats up from us. It was a nice enough talk, her telling me stuff about herself and asking a few questions of me though naturally I was in defensive mode, I was shyer back then, and it felt kind of weird trying to chat to a girl with her family right there. Anyhow, after chatting for a while, my bus does a tour of dublin in its route :mad:, and asking for my name which she couldn't understand until I added a french tint to it she wrote out her email address for me and asked me to mail her.

So I never did mail her in the end and nothing like it has happened since. Of note I feel I'd be a lot more open to a situation like that happening nowadays and would be more engaging in the conversation or maybe that was my one and only shot, who knows, C'est la vie.

You can get talking to women every day and anywhere. Nothing is stopping you. Do it. Life is too short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

The reason it works in the movies is probably down to the likes of Clooney and Pitt. Dont think the ladies take too kindly to being accosted in the street by some tanked up muck savage

Sully34 wrote: »
    The reason it works in the movies is probably down to the likes of Clooney and Pitt. Dont think the ladies take too kindly to being accosted in the street by some tanked up muck savage

That's rubbish. Just because you believe you can't do it does not mean other men can't. How do you think men and women together? Magic? Fate? If you want females in your life you have to talk to them and not miss the opportunity. If you were sitting next to a hottie on the bus and you regretted not saying anything well later that's because you should have. When you see other guys with gorgeous women how do you think they got together with them? They opened their mouths and got chatting and one thing followed another.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

That's rubbish. Just because you believe you can't do it does not mean other men can't. How do you think men and women together? Magic? Fate? If you want females in your life you have to talk to them and not miss the opportunity. If you were sitting next to a hottie on the bus and you regretted not saying anything well later that's because you should have. When you see other guys with gorgeous women how do you think they got together with them? They opened their mouths and got chatting and one thing followed another.

I think you're kinda failing to understand whats going on here. Not every couple have gotten together from one approaching the other in the street, which this conversation is about. It's not all just about talking to someone. It's well known that some scenarios are "more appropriate" than others.

Talk to a girl in a nightclub, acceptable! Chatting a girl up at her granny's funeral, very much less so!

Christ calm down it was a joke. I take it your single then

Christ calm down it was a joke. I take it your single then

This isn't a joke. This is very serious business indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I think you're kinda failing to understand whats going on here. Not every couple have gotten together from one approaching the other in the street, which this conversation is about. It's not all just about talking to someone. It's well known that some scenarios are "more appropriate" than others.

Talk to a girl in a nightclub, acceptable! Chatting a girl up at her granny's funeral, very much less so!

Unless you're Will Ferrell :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I still find it intriguing this thread turned into a us lads jump at the first opportunity discussion about meeting women coming in and out of bookstores.

As Snafuk35 said it you can meet women anywhere and anytime. The only people who don't have this opportunity are the people who stay in all the time, unless you get out into the world you will not get anything you want in life.

Things are not just going to come running to you, you need to go running for them.

I for one will be sure not to sit there saying nothing the next time I sit beside a good looking lassie on a bus or train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I've never approached a girl in the street or in a shop or anything but I usually force myself to at the very least say hello if I'm around a girl and catch her eye. It rarely goes anywhere but I figured it's a good habit to get into. I especially do this in the lift in my apartment building although some people are more friendly than others. One girl for example got into the lift the other day and her whole body language and expression screamed "don't speak to me". I imagine had I looked like Brad Pitt or something, she would have been much more open. I did make myself say hello anyway even though I'd no interest in taking the conversation any further than that.

Then other times I get into a wee chit-chat with people. It's rarely anything deep or meaningful, usually about the weather or this or that, but it's something I try to do as I suspect I'm not as social as I could or should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

The last time I saw someone, had eye contact and had smiles & some head-turning from her was before Christmas and I've been kicking myself for not doing anything since. But even now I sorta don't know what I would have said.
    The sad thing is I feel ok about it because I saved myself potential embarrassment. The general consensus from the ladies of this thread is that one would get shot down for making the effort but she will be flattered from your bravery/misguidedness. It's a pity that something that is so normal and socially acceptable in America is looked at as weird here.

I would only find the idea of a stranger in a shop/on the street/waiting on bus etc asking me out awkward if it was really forced, embarrassing or if it happened while I had company. I had an American girl ask for my number years ago on the street when I was helping a cousin out with a job. I didn't see her as my type but I thought she had bigger *metaphorical* balls than me so I gave her my number. I told myself I wouldn't fob her off if she got in touch since this doesn't happen everyday (or ever). She didn't get in touch in the end but I'm glad to know that I wasn't going to close myself off like many others would do.
    People in this country need to loosen up a good bit* and be open to these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

dellas1979 wrote: »
    The experiment shouldnt be about what their reaction will be-that is not under your control.

what we in the design of experiments business call a noise factor. which, going by random girls I meet, is appropriate

G-Money wrote: »
    I've never approached a girl in the street or in a shop or anything but I usually force myself to at the very least say hello if I'm around a girl and catch her eye. It rarely goes anywhere but I figured it's a good habit to get into. I especially do this in the lift in my apartment building although some people are more friendly than others. One girl for example got into the lift the other day and her whole body language and expression screamed "don't speak to me". I imagine had I looked like Brad Pitt or something, she would have been much more open. I did make myself say hello anyway even though I'd no interest in taking the conversation any further than that.

Then other times I get into a wee chit-chat with people. It's rarely anything deep or meaningful, usually about the weather or this or that, but it's something I try to do as I suspect I'm not as social as I could or should be.

You gotta strut! This clip from Saturday Night Fever encapsulates all you need to know without words.

This isn't a joke. This is very serious business indeed.

You need to get yourself a bird mate

You need to get yourself a bird mate

I have no problems in that department mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Book shops are a good way of chatting up women... I think that's what I've learned from this thread.

"Hey baby... Literacy turns me on. How's about you and I have se... No wait... *checks thesauraus*.. fornicate behind those Joe Duffy books"

"Won't someone see us?"

"Hell no baby. It's Joe Duffy. Nobody buys that shít"

To Easons!! Tally ho!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Has anyone tried this as a result of this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I could see this probably working if you managed to get a good chat with someone and both people felt comfortable and were getting on well. I'd say trying to get a number within a few minutes would be tricky though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Yeah, assuming you've struck up conversation somehow and are getting along then I'd say go for it. I'd be wary agreeing to go out with someone who just approached me out of nowhere and came straight out with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

You can get talking to women every day and anywhere. Nothing is stopping you. Do it. Life is too short.

I have to agree with this wholeheartedly, and say that it applies to all the lovely ladies out there.

I hear my male and female friends saying the same thing, about whatever random hottie delivers the watercooler bottles, is always at the bus stop, live just down the stairs etc.

Just say hello lads, smile and be nice. I'd agree, that coming straight out with some cheese, or asking for their number within 3 mins would be a bit weird, but I say grasp the nettle by it's stalk and do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

G-Money wrote: »
    I could see this probably working if you managed to get a good chat with someone and both people felt comfortable and were getting on well. I'd say trying to get a number within a few minutes would be tricky though.

It most definitely can work in Ireland I've successfully done it myself ( as well as unsuccessfully). It's all in your head that it can't be done by an ordinary bloke. If you get her laughing and you're relaxed and playful it isn't that hard once you get a bit if practice under your belt.

A friend of mine chatted up an Irish girl in the sauna, there were 3 or 4 other other people in there as well as me. After about 20 minutes he said " I'm enjoying talking to you give me your phone number and we'll go out sometime". Can't remember exact words. Something like that. Then the three of us left to go to the lockers in our swimming gear, they got their phones and exchanges numbers and met up a few days later. She was a normal good looking Irish girl. Unless you are barely recognisable as a human there is no excuse why you can't do it yourself.

I think when you suddenly ask for a woman's number on the street it's weird unless you have a reason for asking for her number. When you say for example "I'm enjoying chatting with you, put your number in my phone ( hand over phone) and maybe we'll meet up sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Keep her laughing, is there anything else to it? If you can make her laugh you're in, if you cant then walk on. Unless you are a drop dead stud.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

This happened me...he approached me, asked me for my number. said he would text...NO TEXT.

Weird! Like why bother? :rolleyes:

This happened me...he approached me, asked me for my number. said he would text...NO TEXT.

Maybe he met someone else? I often get a half dozen or more number on a Saturday afternoon and then of that number at least one or two dates lined up for the week. A guy can get laid once or twice a week and that works out at last 50 to 100 women a year.
    Warren Beatty the famous actor is believed to have bedded 30,000+ women over a three decade period which works out at roughly 3 women a day.
    In the book Hollywood Hellraisers he used to target women everywhere he went - whether it was his co-stars or girls who were chambermaids or waitresses or barmaids or girls he exchanged numbers with on the street.

Warren_Beatty.jpg

Statistics show that the average man has sex with only 9 women.
    I pity them!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/relationships/sexual-health-and-advice/8958520/Average-man-has-9-sexual-partners-in-lifetime-women-have-4.html

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

Maybe he met someone else? I often get a half dozen or more number on a Saturday afternoon and then of that number at least one or two dates lined up for the week. A guy can get laid once or twice a week and that works out at last 50 to 100 women a year.
    Warren Beatty the famous actor is believed to have bedded 30,000+ women over a three decade period which works out at roughly 3 women a day.
    In the book Hollywood Hellraisers he used to target women everywhere he went - whether it was his co-stars or girls who were chambermaids or waitresses or barmaids or girls he exchanged numbers with on the street.

Warren_Beatty.jpg

I pity them!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/relationships/sexual-health-and-advice/8958520/Average-man-has-9-sexual-partners-in-lifetime-women-have-4.html

^^^never going near a guy again! :eek: Hope your keeping yourself protected - we don't need a huge baby boom! :rolleyes:

He asked me to meet up for coffee sometime? that meant sex??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Dude god love you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Warren_Beatty.jpg

I pity them!

Dude, seriously!! :rolleyes:

Boomtown he could have chickened out! Coffee does not equal sex...

Advertisement