Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offseason Cuts/Trades/Signings/Franchise Tags etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Michael Bush agrees four year deal with The Bears. Apparently he'll get a total of $14 million with $7 million guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Anyone else following Matt Forte on Twitter today?

He's a wee bit pissed regarding Bush being signed and no contract being sorted:

"There's only so many times a man that has done everything he's been asked to do can be disrespected! Guess the GOOD GUYS do finish last...."

Aswell as retweeting some others:

"@MatthewMcGnarly: @gregolsen82 @espnchibears what's three times now?” 3 yrs signing backups to solid $ and not pay @MattForte22"

"why keep paying backups big $ every yr? Crazy!! Matt deserves better"

and "When everyone says RB is a replaceable position... when is the last time a RB from the Bears went to a pro bowl? #PayForte???"

Odds on him going elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

He's right to be pissed. The Bears have messed him around when he's been the model of consistency and excellent play, doing all that's been asked of him.

No matter what leverage getting Bush makes the Bears think they have, if they don't pay Forte what he deserves he has to start thinking about demanding a trade, RBs have such a short shelf life and he's at the moment of his one big contract as a player and the Bears are letting him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Anyone else following Matt Forte on Twitter today?

He's a wee bit pissed regarding Bush being signed and no contract being sorted:

"There's only so many times a man that has done everything he's been asked to do can be disrespected! Guess the GOOD GUYS do finish last...."

Aswell as retweeting some others:

"@MatthewMcGnarly: @gregolsen82 @espnchibears what's three times now?” 3 yrs signing backups to solid $ and not pay @MattForte22"

"why keep paying backups big $ every yr? Crazy!! Matt deserves better"

and "When everyone says RB is a replaceable position... when is the last time a RB from the Bears went to a pro bowl? #PayForte???"

Odds on him going elsewhere?

All he can do is hold-out they wont trade him. Had he not been placed on IR mid-way through the season he'd have had his new contract by now.

But you do have to feel for the guy. He's one of the leagues leading running backs and still on his rookie contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The punter is on more money than him. It's fcuking joke. He deserves a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

next years big free agent?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Matt Forte should try and get out of Chicago. It's ridiculous. You know who could use him? Green Bay. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

He'll get paid. You think Mike Tice would be happy losing Forte in his run first offense?

I think every year since Forte entered the league in '08, his backup has been paid considerably more. If he does hold out then I am fully behind him, no matter how much it will hurt the teams playoff chances.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that and they can get a deal done before TC.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Matt Forte should try and get out of Chicago. It's ridiculous. You know who could use him? Green Bay. :D

As unreal as that would be considering we badly need a RB, doubt we'd be able to afford him considering we had about 7m cap space prior to FA and doubt we've an awful lot more than that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

49ers today announced they have re-signed WR Ted Ginn Jr. to a one-year contract.

Not surprising!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

kmart6 wrote: »
    49ers today announced they have re-signed WR Ted Ginn Jr. to a one-year contract.

Not surprising!

Good signing I think .. It's possible that SF will not necessarily take a wideout with their 1st round pick

Ted Ginn Jr. is a huge re-signing for the 49ers, excellent return man and a very good fourth option at WR.

With the Saints in disarray the NFC is wide open for the 49ers to make a run this year, I'd fancy them over the Giants and only the Packers - playing at their peak - would seriously threaten to stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

As unreal as that would be considering we badly need a RB, doubt we'd be able to afford him considering we had about 7m cap space prior to FA and doubt we've an awful lot more than that now.

He'd never be allowed to do that, ever. The Bears would give in and overpay him before letting him go to the Packers, where they would have to play him twice a year for the next 5 years.

Syferus wrote: »
    Ted Ginn Jr. is a huge re-signing for the 49ers, excellent return man and a very good fourth option at WR.

With the Saints in disarray the NFC is wide open for the 49ers to make a run this year, I'd fancy them over the Giants and only the Packers - playing at their peak - would seriously threaten to stop them.

wow what makes you thin that i would put giants saints eagles packers bears and lions ahead of them easily

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

nerd69 wrote: »
    wow what makes you thin that i would put giants saints eagles packers bears and lions ahead of them easily

Really? Easily?

49ers beat 4 of those teams last year and didn't play the other 2.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Really? Easily?

49ers beat 4 of those teams last year and didn't play the other 2.

ok easily is a bit much but there still favorites against the 49ers beating a team once does not mean your better they have a good team but no way there even top 5 to win the sb

just my opinion of coarse :)

Well I'd take them above all those teams bar green bay,though I'm biased.

1 win may not make them a better team, but a defeat certainly does not.

SF have a very tough schedule this year but i still think they win the division this year and go deep in the playoffs...

None of the other teams you named are better than the 49ers and are all starting from a lower base than the 49ers.

The only weakness of the 49ers was their deep passing game. Smith doesn't have a cannon arm, but you don't need one to make the throws that thin out a defensive backfield. Another year in Harbaugh's system and real upgrades at receiver should be enough to create some serious match-up problems for every team they play.

None of the other teams you named are better than the 49ers and are all starting from a lower base than the 49ers.

The only weakness of the 49ers was their deep passing game. Smith doesn't have a cannon arm, but you don't need one to make the throws that thin out a defensive backfield. Another year in Harbaugh's system and real upgrades at receiver should be enough to create some serious match-up problems for every team they play.

really the rest are one thing but you think the packers are starting from a lower base

I'd worry somewhat about Gore's production dropping off, if that happens it affects the running game obviously, but also the passing game as they usually use the run to setup the pass.

He's had a few injuries recently and I don't think that Kendall Hunter is an every down back.

SF have a much tougher schedule this year too. @ NE, @ GB @ NO, + Chi, NYG and DET at home

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote: »
    really the rest are one thing but you think the packers are starting from a lower base

The 'other' teams I meant were the ones you mentioned that I hadn't in my previous post, i.e. excluding the Packers and the Giants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter
    Former Saints CB Tracy Porter reached agreement on a one-year deal with Peyton Manning's Broncos.

YESSSSS

• Registered Users Posts: 37,520 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

spiralism wrote: »
    YESSSSS
    Lol, you have the man who threw the int in the Superbowl and the man who returned it for 6 in Denver now.

Every man and his dog seems to be linked/moving to the Broncos this offseason!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

eagle eye wrote: »
    Lol, you have the man who threw the int in the Superbowl and the man who returned it for 6 in Denver now.

That's the first thing i thought too! Gonna be awkward, that first training session together...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

49ers Defense will not be the same force it was last year ! Eagles, lions, bears will all be much improved next year. The packers I think will dip a little, who knows with the giants!

The 49ers defense on a whole played almost every down together, that helps a team massively that is highly unlikely to happen again! as Ive stated previously Smiths interceptions will increase and personally I think defense figure out how to force him into wrong options, one of the reason the 49ers D did so well last year was that they had long fields to defend. not this seaso

The Rams and Seahawks will improve, Cardinals mmmm who knows! Add in those 3 teams improving and the 49ers tougher schedule . I can't see anything but a slight decline .

Sorry Adrian :pac:

Apologies if already posted but yesterday, The 49ers announced they signed free agent quarterback Josh Johnson to a two-year deal.

Not sure what this means, maybe that Colin Kaepernick not progressing as well as expected, but between this and re-signing Ted Ginn I think the 49ers are a decent Right Guard away from having a very successful off season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

adrian522 wrote: »
    Apologies if already posted but yesterday, The 49ers announced they signed free agent quarterback Josh Johnson to a two-year deal.

Not sure what this means, maybe that Colin Kaepernick not progressing as well as expected, but between this and re-signing Ted Ginn I think the 49ers are a decent Right Guard away from having a very successful off season.

I'd imagine thats not great news for Kaepernick. Johnson is liked around the league and thought to be a potential starter at some point. No way he is going there to be 3rd sting after being 2nd string at Bucs.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

49ers Defense will not be the same force it was last year ! Eagles, lions, bears will all be much improved next year. The packers I think will dip a little, who knows with the giants!

The 49ers defense on a whole played almost every down together, that helps a team massively that is highly unlikely to happen again! as Ive stated previously Smiths interceptions will increase and personally I think defense figure out how to force him into wrong options, one of the reason the 49ers D did so well last year was that they had long fields to defend. not this seaso

The Rams and Seahawks will improve, Cardinals mmmm who knows! Add in those 3 teams improving and the 49ers tougher schedule . I can't see anything but a slight decline .

Sorry Adrian :pac:

I don't know if Smith will be as bad as you think, he has more options at WR then he has ever had, a very solid run game, a coach who doesn't expect him to be Peyton Manning (he just wants Peyton Manning), and a excellent defence who he knows will mop up if he does screw up.

I also disagree with what you said about the 9ers defence, they are taking up the mantle that the Ravens d will be leaving soon. They will be doninante for years.

And I'm a Rams fan:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

spiralism wrote: »
    YESSSSS
    CB sorted - now a 4th rounder for DT Hill, TE Tamme, C Saturday and RB Stewart from Carolina and we are set to take the BPA going through the draft.

In relation to how good the 49ers are - every year some teams progress and some move backwards - I have a feeling that the 49ers will one of those who will regress this year.

Advertisement