Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offseason Cuts/Trades/Signings/Franchise Tags etc.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Josh Johnson is a good QB, will be a good backup and had success with Harbaugh at San Diego
    If any of you were in Wembley for Bucs and Patriots a few years back, he was the starter.
    When it turned into a blowout they put in Freeman

Bit of a statement of no confidence in Kaepernick though, he must not be progressing enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

jeff saturday had workouts with the titan's,packers and bronco's. do you guy's think we have a chance(packers) of getting him, he would be a good addition as wells is gone and we could draft the centre from the badgers and school him up behind saturday. god the packers are very quiet in this off-season, its no fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

cosatron wrote: »
    jeff saturday had workouts with the titan's,packers and bronco's. do you guy's think we have a chance(packers) of getting him, he would be a good addition as wells is gone and we could draft the centre from the badgers and school him up behind saturday. god the packers are very quiet in this off-season, its no fun.

I'd say its us with the best shout because of the Manning link but ye'd be next in line.

Also:
    Tight end Joel Dreessen said this morning that he’s decided to sign with the Denver Broncos.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/03/tight-end-joel-dreessen-signs-with-the-broncos/

Another excellent signing, Mr. Elway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

HigginsJ wrote: »
    You'd still have to take Kuelchy. They were shocking at line-backer last year. Kuelchy looks to be a special talent. He has had the tape but people questioned his atletisism and he answered that at the combine. Take the best available and if Kuelchy is on the board you take him.

No way Kuelchy falls to Steelers (unless every Gm from 10 to 24 is an idiot!!)

Having locked up Jackson at WR and Herremans at Tackle and Mathis at Guard , the question marks were ILB and possibly another reciever for the Eagles

After trading for DeMeco Ryans and paying his $5.9 mill salary along with giving away a 4th rounder and swapping 3rd rounders thats plenty of money tied up in the position , Kuechly would be an expensive pick . He will command big enough money (even under new rookie scale). As a 4-3 ILB , Ryans at 2010 form is a top 5 LB in the league. In the wide nine technique unless you have a very mobile true tackling LineBacker 4 , the opposition will run through the Tackles . So there could be an argument to draft for depth or to play Kuechly at OLB and put him in the ILB rotation. Seems a luxury though if Michael Brockers/Fletcher Cox or to a lesser extent Devon Still are there at the 15th pick. Poe wont be available

Thats not even mentioning the fact that Andy Reid loves those big DefTackles, hasnt drafted a 1st round Linebacker in his tenure and that the Philly beat writers are saying DT is coming out of the team. I got to think that the Eagles traded for Ryans while drafting Kuechly was the alternative. If Ryans wasnt traded for Kuechly would be the pick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

neilster wrote: »
    Having locked up Jackson at WR and Herremans at Tackle and Mathis at Guard , the question marks were ILB and possibly another reciever for the Eagles

After trading for DeMeco Ryans and paying his $5.9 mill salary along with giving away a 4th rounder and swapping 3rd rounders thats plenty of money tied up in the position , Kuechly would be an expensive pick . He will command big enough money (even under new rookie scale). As a 4-3 ILB , Ryans at 2010 form is a top 5 LB in the league. In the wide nine technique unless you have a very mobile true tackling LineBacker 4 , the opposition will run through the Tackles . So there could be an argument to draft for depth or to play Kuechly at OLB and put him in the ILB rotation. Seems a luxury though if Michael Brockers/Fletcher Cox or to a lesser extent Devon Still are there at the 15th pick. Poe wont be available

Thats not even mentioning the fact that Andy Reid loves those big DefTackles, hasnt drafted a 1st round Linebacker in his tenure and that the Philly beat writers are saying DT is coming out of the team. I got to think that the Eagles traded for Ryans while drafting Kuechly was the alternative. If Ryans wasnt traded for Kuechly would be the pick

i do think the eagles go for a dt but kuchey can play olb to and the eagles need that lb is there only glaring need this offseason so i could see them going for him at 15 if hes there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

CB sorted - now a 4th rounder for DT Hill, TE Tamme, C Saturday and RB Stewart from Carolina and we are set to take the BPA going through the draft.

In relation to how good the 49ers are - every year some teams progress and some move backwards - I have a feeling that the 49ers will one of those who will regress this year.

It was their defense that got them to the Champ Game ....all 11 starters return and some nice players could be at the end of the first round for example.

You can see Randy Moss and co lying down a bit this season but i see them winning a division alright

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Yea read that about Reid having never drafted an LB in the 1st. I would go with dafting Kuelchy and getting him in there somewhere but I take your point.

Do ye need DT help. Patterson is pretty decent and cant think of the other starter but didnt think your D-line was major issue last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

cosatron wrote: »

Jason La Canfora just tweeted that Saturday to the Packers is almost a done deal. Would be a brilliant signing to get in.

Edit: Now confirmed, Saturday is a Packer! Get in..

CB sorted - now a 4th rounder for DT Hill, TE Tamme, C Saturday and RB Stewart from Carolina and we are set to take the BPA going through the draft.

In relation to how good the 49ers are - every year some teams progress and some move backwards - I have a feeling that the 49ers will one of those who will regress this year.

We lost out on Saturday which is worrying. Walton is the worst starting center in the league, we CANNOT let him be the one snapping the ball to Manning or he'll get Manning hurt and botch about 2 or 3 snaps a game. He'll also ruin the no huddle Manning offence because he tips off the snap call to the opposition.

Andre Gurode is FA center, just throwing out a name

34 years old, five time probowler if that means anything

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Andre Gurode is FA center, just throwing out a name

34 years old, five time probowler if that means anything

Has he much left in the tank? Anything will be better than Walton though..

I'm thinking we may go with Konz in the draft now actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

spiralism wrote: »
    That's the first thing i thought too! Gonna be awkward, that first training session together...
    Nah, there'll be mutual respect and a few jokes about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Broncos sign Jacob Tamme TE 3years/$9million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Broncos sign Jacob Tamme TE 3years/$9million

Tamme and Dreessen - there's a fantasy football nightmare decision! Suppose you'd have to give a slight edge to Tamme based on familiarity with Peyton.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The Jets trade Drew Stanton to the Colts for a late round pick. The replies on PFT are going to be good for this one: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/23/jets-trade-drew-stanton-to-colts/
    The Yets just traded away their best quarterback!
    The Colts promised him they would not be taking a quarter back in the draft.
    And the accomodations for Tebow begin already. Can’t have the third stringer showing him up in camp. Better to just cast him overboard.

The middle one made me laugh the most :D

(For those who aren't aware, apparently when Stanton signed for the Jets last week they promised him they wouldn't sign another QB!)

It was their defense that got them to the Champ Game ....all 11 starters return and some nice players could be at the end of the first round for example.
    Just because a defence was good one year doesn't mean it will be better or even as good the following year. Sh*t happens - players get de-motivated, personal circumstances change, people get distracted etc etc. The 49ers might be just as good next season as they were last season - but I have a feeling they will go backwards a bit - I think they overachieved somewhat last season in part because of the impact of hiring Harbaugh. Next season I suspect they will not be as effective on both sides of the ball. Saying that I would love the Broncos to meet the 49ers in the SB and exact a little revenge for the last time they met there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,519 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just because a defence was good one year doesn't mean it will be better or even as good the following year. Sh*t happens - players get de-motivated, personal circumstances change, people get distracted etc etc. The 49ers might be just as good next season as they were last season - but I have a feeling they will go backwards a bit - I think they overachieved somewhat last season in part because of the impact of hiring Harbaugh. Next season I suspect they will not be as effective on both sides of the ball. Saying that I would love the Broncos to meet the 49ers in the SB and exact a little revenge for the last time they met there.
    The 49ers improved their D with the hiring of Fangio who brought Bowman to a different level and Aldon Smith stepped straight in as a star. If anything I think they will get better on D next season unless injuries get in the way.

Their offense could be real good too. Remember this will be the first time that Alex Smith has come back as a starter to the same offensive co-ordinator and head coach for a second season. We'll see how he does, I've never been a fan but you just never know how a guy will improve when he gets comfortable in a system.

Curtis Lofton signs for the Saints. A very good signing for them, even more so considering whats going on in New Orleans.

Curtis Lofton signs for the Saints. A very good signing for them, even more so considering whats going on in New Orleans.

Vilma's going to be hit with a massive suspension most likely so they needed cover.

• Advertisement

Dominique Foxworth CB, drafted by the Broncos and ex Falcon and Raven is the new president of the NFLPA

I doubt he'll ever see a football field again though he hasn't retired and is only 28

So he's a FA and I'll add it to the thread

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Dominique Foxworth CB, drafted by the Broncos and ex Falcon and Raven is the new president of the NFLPA

I doubt he'll ever see a football field again though he hasn't retired and is only 28
    Foxworth is a smart guy - very capable - and has a lot of respect among his fellow pros.

Rams sign "the other" Steve Smith.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

adrian522 wrote: »

nice pickup hes a loss for the giants if you can make sure he runs head down straight on hes very dangerous he goes through fazes of trying to do to much moving
    49ers are going to be serious this year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

that's an odd one for me, Hunter and Gore should be able to share carries adequately not sure where Jacobs fits in...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm guessing just additional cover and insurance in case Gore suffers another injury. Depends on the contract but on the face of it looks like a good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

nerd69 wrote: »
    nice pickup hes a loss for the giants if you can make sure he runs head down straight on hes very dangerous he goes through fazes of trying to do to much moving

The quote from Jeff Reinbold about Jacobs is one of the best I've heard in a long time; "Looks like Tarzan, runs like Jane".

Personally, I actually think he looks useful sometimes. I wonder did he get a nice deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I'm guessing just additional cover and insurance in case Gore suffers another injury. Depends on the contract but on the face of it looks like a good move.

Gore's workload will go down significantly every season now going forward, he's picking up a lot of injuries. I would have thought Hunter looked good enough to push Gore for the starting position, just not sure where Jacobs coming in will leave him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

nerd69 wrote: »

Honestly he is no loss for the Giants. Most Giants fans wanted him gone at the end of last season. He is terrible. The least powerful powerback in the NFL.

Cant catch, takes 10 yards to get up a head of steam, tries to bounce to the outside regardless of what run play is called, sulks if things dont go his way.

Advertisement