Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offseason Cuts/Trades/Signings/Franchise Tags etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭rosskeen

As a Dolphins fan I don't know whether to laugh or cry, or both.

He's no upgrade on Moore. It'll be interesting to know what sort of money he's getting before making any further comment. They'd have been safer holding onto Henne rather than signing Garrard.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

rosskeen wrote: »
    As a Dolphins fan I don't know whether to laugh or cry, or both.

He's no upgrade on Moore. It'll be interesting to know what sort of money he's getting before making any further comment. They'd have been safer holding onto Henne rather than signing Garrard.

Can't really understand the reasoning behind this move. I would have thought holding out for Tannehill would have been the right move (assuming this prevents it happening).

Maybe Miami are looking to start the "Suck for Barkley" campaign? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭rosskeen

Miami cut Yeremiah Bell as well tonight perhaps one of the longest serving players on the team to save cap space. I hope it wasn't to sign Garrard!

It's really hard to know what that clown Jeff Ireland is thinking. I'm really not sold on drafting Tannehill at 9. Another year of Moore would be preferable to taking Tannehill that early. He's just not a top 10 calibre pick.

Lord knows they've managed to create enough fresh gaps that need filling that could be better addressed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

dolphins seem to be all over the place at the moment they looked good a few years back (the year of the wildcat) for 1 year and have regressed big time since then i feel ireland may need to be replaced because i cant see any direction to the moves there making it just seems to be temporary patches nothing to build on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Broncos re-sign Woodyard to two year deal and are negotiating contracts with Bunkley and former Colts TE Jacob Tamme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

David Garrard is a Dolphin.

Whoop-di-do!

Looks like he's been brought in to compete with Matt Moore, assuming he's fully recovered from his surgery.

Unless they plan to cut Moore (which makes no sense) it looks like we won't be drafting a QB and will have to pick our poison between Moore and Garrard.

If we draft as normal (ie: crap) we will definitely be early season favourites to draft Matt Barkley!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Just thinking that last year the Dolphins Opening Day starting QB was Chad Henne. This year it could be David Garrard.

This the the same David Garrard who lost his job to Luke McCown, who then lost his job to Blaine Gabbert, who will probably lose his job to....Chad Henne!

It's going to be a long season!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Broncos re-sign Woodyard to two year deal and are negotiating contracts with Bunkley and former Colts TE Jacob Tamme.

Saturday, Clark and Stokely are expected to follow. So happy to see Stokely back, loved him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

spiralism wrote: »
    Saturday, Clark and Stokely are expected to follow. So happy to see Stokely back, loved him.
    It appears that EXF are after Jacob Tamme rather than Clark.

Saturday is important - he calls the protection assignments when Manning is running the no-huddle.

It appears that EXF are after Jacob Tamme rather than Clark.

Saturday is important - he calls the protection assignments when Manning is running the no-huddle.

I'm expecting both tbh. I'd be happy with just Tamme though, he's a better blocker and less injury prone. Clark at a cut price would be pretty sweet

Agreed on Saturday, the more players in familiar with Manning, the easier the transition to his offence gets. Also, it's good that we'd have a Centre that's not absolutely ****e. (not looking at you walton...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Best Free-Agents currently available team: (Current Team in brackets)

QB: Alex Smith (49ers)
    HB: Michael Bush (Raiders)
    FB: Tony Fiametta (Cowboys)
    WR: Deion Branch (Pats) Braylon Edwards (49ers)
    TE: Dallas Clark (Colts)
    LT: Demetrius Bell (Bills)
    LG: S Scott (Titans)
    C: Samson Satele (Raiders)
    RG: Vernon Carey (Phins)
    RT: Anthony Collins (Bengals)

Defense:
    DE: Kameron Wimbeley (Raiders) Andre Carter (Pats)
    DT: Broderick Bunkley (Broncos) Derek Landri (Eagles)

OLB: Erin Henderson (Vikings) Manny Lawson (Bengals)
    MLB: Stephen Tullock (Lions)

CB: Aaron Ross (Giants) Tracey Porter (Saints)
    SS: Jim Lenhard (Jets)
    FS: OJ Atogwe (Skins)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Best Free-Agents currently

QB: Alex Smith (49ers)
    )

He's not a good free agent. I really think Alex Smith is a massive fraud. He did well in a run first offense with an elite defense. His interceptions were remarkable low last season. This won't be the case next year, without doubt his interception will increase next season. He wants what 30million? Over 3 years? Crazy money..

I was reading an article about the comparison between Alex Smith and Matt Moore and besides the lower interception rate there was not a massive difference between them. If Smith stays at the 49ers he'll be average at best. If he moves to a harder division with a defense that's not as dominant and a coach that doesn't know how play to his strengths in a system then he'll be a disaster like in the past.

Personally now that manning has gone to the Broncos he'll stay at the 49ers and they won't be as good as next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

David Garrard is a Dolphin.

Do you think they realised they signed the wrong Qb from the AFC south who had brought his team to the play offs before missing all of 2011 with an injury?

He's not a good free agent. I really think Alex Smith is a massive fraud. He did well in a run first offense with an elite defense. His interceptions were remarkable low last season. This won't be the case next year, without doubt his interception will increase next season. He wants what 30million? Over 3 years? Crazy money..

I was reading an article about the comparison between Alex Smith and Matt Moore and besides the lower interception rate there was not a massive difference between them. If Smith stays at the 49ers he'll be average at best. If he moves to a harder division with a defense that's not as dominant and a coach that doesn't know how play to his strengths in a system then he'll be a disaster like in the past.

Personally now that manning has gone to the Broncos he'll stay at the 49ers and they won't be as good as next year.

Agreed but it was Alex Smith or Josh Johnson to QB my team!!! :D

Good news Giants fans:

jaguarsb_logo.gifJaguars sign CB Aaron Ross (3 years, $15.3 million):

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

He is still the best Free Agent QB out there and I think you are being a bit harsh on his performances last year.

Do you have a link to the article that compares him to Moore? I'd certainly take Smith over Moore, Smith was a bit overly conservative at times this year but he was far from awful and made some good plays at crucial times during the season.

adrian522 wrote: »
    He is still the best Free Agent QB out there and I think you are being a bit harsh on his performances last year.

Do you have a link to the article that compares him to Moore? I'd certainly take Smith over Moore, Smith was a bit overly conservative at times this year but he was far from awful and made some good plays at crucial times during the season.

The last 5 minutes of the Saints game was the only time Smith seemed to come out of his shell any time i saw him this season and he was magnificent. But he was back to his conservative best against the Giants. If Manningham is back to his best Smith will have a very very good wideout to go with Davis. Its not Smiths fault that Crabtree it a bust and Morgan got hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

+1 it wasnt smith that lost the game against the giants he was very consistent last year improved alot

My only problem is when he tries to force the ball (i.e OT vs the giants) but if he re-joins the team he will have a better set of receivers than last season

I hope the 9ers re-sign him he's the best FA QB left

Player Cmp% Yds/Att TD% INT% Sack%
    Moore 60.5% 7.2 4.6% 2.6% 9.4%
    Smith 61.3% 7.1 3.8% 1.1% 9.0%

Smith 445 attempts 273 completions at 61.3% . 3,144 yards. 17TD's 5 INT's. yards per game 197

Compared to Moore ( Who didnt start the first 4 games) 347 attempts 210 completions at 60.5% 2497 yards. 16 TD's 9 INT's. Yard per game 192 yards.

Would Moore have helped the 49ers to the NFC Conference game ? With those stat's more than likely. Now add in the fact that the dolphins played the Jets and the Patriots twice in the year. While the 49ers got to feast on the NFC West.

The dolphins should not pull the trigger on a big deal for Smith because he's simply not worth it. If the 49ers keep him and i believe they will i think a combination of a higher interceptions rate and the defense not being able to stay as healthy as they did in 2011 will result in the 49ers defense having to defend shorter fields and there record will come down to around 10-6.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

HigginsJ wrote: »
    The last 5 minutes of the Saints game was the only time Smith seemed to come out of his shell any time i saw him this season and he was magnificent. But he was back to his conservative best against the Giants. If Manningham is back to his best Smith will have a very very good wideout to go with Davis. Its not Smiths fault that Crabtree it a bust and Morgan got hurt.

I understand what you are saying but a lot of the problems against the Giants and throughout the season were to do with the play calling from the sideline and not necessarily the execution of the QB.

Interestingly for the 2 late TD drives against the Saints the plays were called by the QB coach rather than Greg Roman (OC). I'm not sure if that was relevant or not.

From the regular season you could look to the games against the Lions, against the Eagles, or against the Seahawks on Christmas eve for games where he came through with the game on the line.

He wasn't brilliant by any stretch but he did perform very well in 2011 in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Player Cmp% Yds/Att TD% INT% Sack%
    Moore 60.5% 7.2 4.6% 2.6% 9.4%
    Smith 61.3% 7.1 3.8% 1.1% 9.0%

Smith 445 attempts 273 completions at 61.3% . 3,144 yards. 17TD's 5 INT's. yards per game 197

Compared to Moore ( Who didnt start the first 4 games) 347 attempts 210 completions at 60.5% 2497 yards. 16 TD's 9 INT's. Yard per game 192 yards.

Would Moore have helped the 49ers to the NFC Conference game ? With those stat's more than likely. Now add in the fact that the dolphins played the Jets and the Patriots twice in the year. While the 49ers got to feast on the NFC West.

The dolphins should not pull the trigger on a big deal for Smith because he's simply not worth it. If the 49ers keep him and i believe they will i think a combination of a higher interceptions rate and the defense not being able to stay as healthy as they did in 2011 will result in the 49ers defense having to defend shorter fields and there record will come down to around 10-6.

Well by those stats he threw less TD's, more picks and had a lower completion % so it's probable he wouldn't have done as well as Alex. Do you know how many 4th Quarter comebacks he had?

Also what are you basing the higher interceptions next year on? I expect him to improve further with a full off season with these coaches for the first time plus a better receiving corps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Smith wasn't throwing to Marshall, wasn't protected by Long, and was playing some of the best defenses in the league (Seahawks x2 very tough, Cardinals x2 now a good defense, afc north all very good defenders). I think he had a very solid year.

Also what are you basing the higher interceptions next year on? I expect him to improve further with a full off season with these coaches for the first time plus a better receiving corps.

You expect to see him throw less than 5 interceptions next season ? When hes going to be asked to throw more with his new weapons?

IN 2010 Josh Freeman, Michael Vick and Tom Brady had unbelievable low interception rates. Guess what happened to there interception %'s in 2011 they went back up to the average or higher in Freemans case but that was down to a franchise giving up after 5 games. (Ill look through the stats for them but im playing xbox right now so cant be bothered :) )

Smith will not improve. Look he was brutal before this season, This season he was given a very basic playbook and wasn't being forced to throw. He was above average in a team that had an excellent run game a dominant defense and phenomenal special teams for most of the year.

How many field goals did David Akers have to kick after the offense could convert third and 5 upwards? Answer a massive amount.

Well by those stats he threw less TD's, more picks and had a lower completion % so it's probable he wouldn't have done as well as Alex.

I'm not saying that his stats were not better. But there very close in comparison and if you put Moore into that team you dont think he'd improve upon his stats than what he did with the dolphins ?

You expect to see him throw less than 5 interceptions next season ? When hes going to be asked to throw more with his new weapons?

IN 2010 Josh Freeman, Michael Vick and Tom Brady had unbelievable low interception rates. Guess what happened to there interception %'s in 2011 they went back up to the average or higher in Freemans case but that was down to a franchise giving up after 5 games. (Ill look through the stats for them but im playing xbox right now so cant be bothered :) )

Smith will not improve. Look he was brutal before this season, This season he was given a very basic playbook and wasn't being forced to throw. He was above average in a team that had an excellent run game a dominant defense and phenomenal special teams for most of the year.

How many field goals did David Akers have to kick after the offense could convert third and 5 upwards? Answer a massive amount.

Interesting you should say that. Anyone here ever read coldhardfootballfacts.com? They had an article last year about QBs with very low turnover ratios and their following seasons. Basically what they found was that no matter how good the QB is, having that few picks is an anomaly and things will correct themselves the following year with INT numbers going way up.

The only real exception has been Aaron Rodgers(went from 7 in 09 to 11 in 2010, not too big a shift by any means) but this can be explained in that the season following those low INT numbers they merely return to their normal numbers in that category. In Rodgers's case, that's still astronomically low as he currently has the lowest turnover percentage of any QB in NFL history (min 1500 passes).

Well no but I don expect him to improve as a player not necessarily throw less picks. But I don't expect his number to jump dramatically.

Yeah but as I said above I'm looking for overall improvement not just in relation to interceptions. I don't think he will regress back to the amount of picks he had before 2011.

I don't agree that he won't improve, especially when you give him better receivers and a full off season working with his coaches. Crabtree never showed up last year bar a handful of games towards the end of the regular season, Morgan got injured early on and they only started brining Davis into the passing game from midway through the season. I don't get how you would think he won't improve at all next year.

He kicked plenty but not all of them are down to Smith not executing, as I said in a different post a lot of it was down to very conservative play calling like running on 3rd and long which they did quite a bit of. Obviously this also feeds into the low interceptions and is a product of a team that was already winning in a lot of cases and didn't feel a need to take unnecessary risks.

eagles get demeco ryan from the texans and the texans 3rd rounder for the eagles 3rd and 4th rounders

Looks like Alex Smith is coming back to SF...
    RT @nfl: The @49ers and QB Alex Smith agree to terms on a new contract, @nflnetwork's @michaelombardi reports. #freeagency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

nerd69 wrote: »
    eagles get demeco ryan from the texans and the texans 3rd rounder for the eagles 3rd and 4th rounders

Absolute bargain.

• Advertisement

Absolute bargain.

thats what i was thinking there must be a catch or the texans are mad

Advertisement