Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Cracked my screen and need it replaced/repaired. Have a quote for €160 from fonemenders.

Does that seem about right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Is it possible to get flash for the s3? I cant download adobe. Unable to watch rte player etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

yep here you go

http://www.careace.net/2012/10/03/how-to-manually-install-flash-on-your-samsung-android-device/

doesn't work with Chrome though, works grand on stock browser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

The last official versions of Flash for Jelly bean are available on adobe.com - link Archived Flash Player versions.

Navigate to webpage above and click to download/install Flash Player 11.1.for Android 4.0 (11.1.115.27).

Make sure you can sideload apps. Details in the above post from kingtiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

Dcully wrote: »
    Also what is cell standy? it says cell standby battery used by radio is 41% but radio is turned off?

Is it referring to the mobile network radio. Cell standby is when you are just idle in a cell. Phone is turned on, knows what cell it is in and is mostly just listening for something to come in like a text or a voice call.

So when your mobile signal is crap (1 bar) then it takes more power for the mobile to keep in touch with the network, and so the cell standby uses more power than if you had 5 bars of a signal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Alright lads,so what roms are people running? I'm currently on the 3 JB, but thanks to 2 years on the htc desire, I just want to start throwing rom after rom onto the S3 (and get rid of all the crap bloatware ;)).

I've also noticed that lot of the roms mention the firmware number. Do I have to find a firmware that matches, or if I flash a rom with a higher firmware, will my phone happily upgrade to it? (Sorry for the potentially stupid question, this was never an issue before on the desire).

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

most of the time it just means that they are basing it on a current samsung rom thats out, which leads to it being more stable.

i hafnt tried many roms. i do like the purer android roms- cyanogen etc.. especialy for the browser. but batterylife is nothing compared to the samsung 4.1.2 upcoming release for battery which is what i want. i had 3 days usage with 30% battery left there by last night

kenyard wrote: »

Hi! Thanks for the link, I just have a quick question. On the xda page (and for a lot of the other roms for the S3 I've seen) the region and country is specified. Does that mean anything at the end of the day, or are they just there so if you need to send your device back you can flash a rom with the right region / carrier to validate your warranty? I assume you're using the Kong Kong / Asia rom over here with no bother?

99% of the time they are fine. but ask on the thread itself before you try it just incase. some roms e.g the japanese one where they have 2gb ram in the phone and LTE would probably not work ;)
    the official rom is out now anyways.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646610

should be just the bug-free version of what we posted earlier. the link you posted also has the same now pretty much. just altered somewhat (optimises stuff, removes some samsung roms, etc...)

p.s at everyone who wont install it. i think it was around 1-2 weeks after release last time of the polish run that we got it rolled out on most networks here. so shud have it before christmas on most networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I've noticed something odd since I've gotten my s3. My earphones just aren't lasting, I think I've gone though 4 sets in the 6 months I've had the phone, normally I'd get at least a year out of them. It also coincidentally seems to be the left ear that is always breaking. Has anyone else had this or am I going crazy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I've noticed something odd since I've gotten my s3. My earphones just aren't lasting, I think I've gone though 4 sets in the 6 months I've had the phone, normally I'd get at least a year out of them. It also coincidentally seems to be the left ear that is always breaking. Has anyone else had this or am I going crazy?

My ones are fine. Though I only use them as spares now as I got a wireless BT headset.

Problems I have is cracks in the frame beside the power button and lots of crack marks on the back cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Pigwidgeon wrote: »

I've sound issues with the left one as well :(

sems the above is just the bugfree version of the pre-release.
    gps fine
    battery same as other 4.1.2 (im at 70% battery after 23hrs, gps and wifi on for ~6-8hrs overnight last night, and i dont think i was even at 100% charge even anyway)

either way this is better than the 4.0.4 version which i easily managed 2 days with.

the tweaks are nice too. customising the notifications bar so i removed blocking mode, added sbeam, and just rearranged them so wifi and mobile data are at the start, etc
    then multi window. very awesome when u wanna do a few things at once like you are writing a message and wanna pull up a map or anything like that. even chatting to someone pulling up facebook also, adjusting each apps size. etc.
    you can add nfc to notifications also which i guess is good for people using that as i guess it is a bit of a battery hog,
    dunno is driving mode back. didnt notice it. a few people complained it was removed. glad they made the options there customizable.

its actually awkward now, caus it feels wrong putting my phone on charge when i have 70% battery left, but i wont have a charger for the next 2 days so just making sure ill have enough. even though im half sure i cud manage anyways :D
    to steal an aussie line. "no worries!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Yeah its bugless so im expecting it to be out before christmas here as I said above.
    Battery life is really really good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

where is the cheapest place to buy, im looking at unlocked s3 on amazon, i take it i wont have any problem with buying one from uk etc unlocked

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section guys,im buying one of these for christmas, just wondering if anyone could offer any advice as to which memory card to get for this phone?

Any advice appreciated..

celticsfan wrote: »
    Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section guys,im buying one of these for christmas, just wondering if anyone could offer any advice as to which memory card to get for this phone?

Any advice appreciated..

Depends on what you need it for. S3 already had 16GB built in. Plus comes with 50GB of Dropbox storage. I generally keep all my photos on Dropbox. All videos on YouTube. All documents on SkyDrive and the internal space and my 16GB card is only used for Music and Videos.

Generally if your after speed you'll need a faster class memory card. I have a Class 4 card and it plays full HD movies no problem, runs music fine as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

Depends on what you need it for. S3 already had 16GB built in. Plus comes with 50GB of Dropbox storage. I generally keep all my photos on Dropbox. All videos on YouTube. All documents on SkyDrive and the internal space and my 16GB card is only used for Music and Videos.

Generally if your after speed you'll need a faster class memory card. I have a Class 4 card and it plays full HD movies no problem, runs music fine as well.

Cheers for the tips evolution! was planning to fill up the sd card with music only..and then use the available online clouds etc for documents,photos etc..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

celticsfan wrote: »
    Cheers for the tips evolution! was planning to fill up the sd card with music only..and then use the available online clouds etc for documents,photos etc..:)

try to get a class 10 it really makes a difference with transfer speeds from PC to phone

• Advertisement

kingtiger wrote: »

try to nce with transfer speeds from PC to phone

Agree on that. One off fine. but after that u always just put small bits and pieces on em after so its not as big a deal. My mate got a 64gb card. Igot 32 and have enough space. He put his entire music ccollection on his phone though.
    Music will stay on it. What I have chopped n changed is movies n tv shows. Easy transfer a few gb then so it is handy ;)

Depends what u have man and if u wanna use.. dropbox etc. I just hafnt gotten into that frame of mind yet. Plus dont like that in 2 years ill lose it or have to start paying potentially. I use it as a backup only.
    U can load movies onto it amd fill it no problem. It plays almost anything. 1080p mkv files np. Though ofc as 720p caus thats what screen is.

It might be worth noting that the current batch of sandisk class 10 64gb cards are getting a poor response from users. Just this week I received and have had to have replaced one from amazon. That said, it also seems that when they work they're fine. I'll post here when my replacement arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

Has anybody seen a dual charging dock that would be able to accommodate charging a Galaxy S2 and Galaxy S3?

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-s3-case-compatible-dual-charging-dock-p35464.htm

I'm not sure if something like the above would work, as the GS2 may not fit in the dock...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

roarlad wrote: »
    Has anybody seen a dual charging dock that would be able to accommodate charging a Galaxy S2 and Galaxy S3?

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-s3-case-compatible-dual-charging-dock-p35464.htm

I'm not sure if something like the above would work, as the GS2 may not fit in the dock...

I bought this one for S2

Do you want dock with battery charger and for S2/S3?

It might be worth noting that the current batch of sandisk class 10 64gb cards are getting a poor response from users. Just this week I received and have had to have replaced one from amazon. That said, it also seems that when they work they're fine. I'll post here when my replacement arrives.

Just to update for you all, the new class 10 64gig card arrived and theres been no problems whatsoever. I've just left it in the phone and connected that to the pc whenever transferring files, and its very fast. Very happy with it, and good old amazon were very accommodating when it came to returning the bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JOCookie

Just got a notice of new update for the phone, I am Vodafone but the phone was unlocked when bought. the update size is 173mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

JOCookie wrote: »
    Just got a notice of new update for the phone, I am Vodafone but the phone was unlocked when bought. the update size is 173mb.

Installed it. What I've noticed so far is if you plug in a set of headphones a new homescreen appears with your music player. Also it has a multiapp option so you can have two apps active on screen at the same time (one on the top half one on the bottom half). Only appears to be a set number of mainly google apps though (e.g. hotmail app doesn't work on split screen yet).

There may be other improvements that I haven't come across yet.

Alright lads, I have a question for those of you on the 4.1.2 and are getting savage battery life: have ye any secrets or tips?

I'm seeing good life alright if I have the phone down, but it's like the minute the screen is on the battery starts to drain, and this is with the brightness set to minimum, face recognition sleep thing is off, multi window off. It's not a huge issue, I'm used to the nightly charge, just wondering if there's some secret setting that grants the battery the longevity you all seem to be getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Waiting for my update to come through on O2.

Anyone know if it's available on kies, haven't had a chance to check.

• Advertisement

Been using an otter box case for a week now. Best case ever . I can throw it around and do whatever I do. Protects the phone in every way. Most fun is throwing the S3 away and people freaking out. Great case for those prone to throwing the phone around a lot

Advertisement