Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

thomasj wrote: »

does anyone know if these updates will be able to be applied to custom roms?

or will i have to revert to stock or just wait for the AOKP release to have the update included?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

danniemcq wrote: »
    does anyone know if these updates will be able to be applied to custom roms?

or will i have to revert to stock or just wait for the AOKP release to have the update included?

crdroid will have it in tonights update

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

thomasj wrote: »

So a software update will prevent the sudden death thing ? I am absolute n00b but I presumed it was a hardware problem. Would be delighted if there was an easy fix though.
    crdroid will have it in tonights update

Where can we get this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

already had the mobo replaced for a separate issue (audio not working with calls) a few months back. fingers crossed she's all good from future fails

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

So a software update will prevent the sudden death thing ? I am absolute n00b but I presumed it was a hardware problem. Would be delighted if there was an easy fix though.

Where can we get this?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1944481

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Pretty sure it's xbox smart glass. I've used it to stream video to the xbox.

The button only shows up in the regular Samsung video player and gallery, not in third party ones, and then only if you've recently been in smart glass. (I.e. It needs to be running in the background I think.)
    Yeah it's definitely done through the xbox.
    Snazzy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

How do i add words in to the dictionary for predictive txt on android version 4.1.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Marco85 wrote: »
    How do i add words in to the dictionary for predictive txt on android version 4.1.2
    What keyboard you using?
    I find SwiftKey the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    What keyboard you using?
    I find SwiftKey the best.

Samsung stock keyboard. Its changed now since the android upgrade and wont let you add in new words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I think the function most people find with the video is called PlayTo and was introduced to Xbox vs the last update.

Previously you could only stream from a network drive. Laptop only or an app. No need for servers now. As long as you have dlna you can push the video to the Xbox straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

interesting bit of news from sammobile
    http://www.sammobile.com/2013/01/03/galaxy-s-iiis-latest-software-update-fixes-exynos-security-exploit-sudden-death-issue-too/
    On 2nd January, Samsung pushed a software update (I9300XXELLA) to the Galaxy S III and we can confirm that the new software update fixes the infamous Exynos 4 vulnerability. The security flaw was in the kernel which made the device R/W by all users, apps and gave access to full Physical Memory. In short, this vulnerability gave root permissions to *any* app and there was no control over it but now with the new system update the security hole has been patched.

We believe that the new system update also fixes the sudden death issue as the new firmware ships with brand new bootloaders and this is the first time Samsung has updated the bootloaders of the device since it started shipping back in May 2012. But, we can’t confirm if sudden death issue has been resolved or not as Samsung is the only one who can confirm about the fix.

As regards to fix currently only available in uk but expect on the way
    For now the new software update is only available for the United kingdom (BTU) but we expect other countries to follow soon. We would urge Galaxy S III users to immediatly update their device to the latest firmware via Kies or OTA (Over-The-Air).

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hazbot

Interesting ... I got that update yesterday via Kies.

Even though the Android version still says 4.1.2, the update took noticeably longer than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

I'm thinking of upgrading from a Samsung Galaxy S to the S3 and giving my OH the S as she has the Mini. If I upgrade do I need to switch everything or if I do a factory reset does it revert back to the original firmware?

Anyone see this before?

sam2016o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Fistycuffs

I'm pretty new to all this. I got the phone as a present and it was unlocked and had a cyanogen 10 rom on it so its on 4.1.2. However there's no fm radio! Is this normal on this rom? If I reverted back to stock would I get it back or if I update to a new rom?

Radio is a deal breaker for me,

Fistycuffs wrote: »
    I'm pretty new to all this. I got the phone as a present and it was unlocked and had a cyanogen 10 rom on it so its on 4.1.2. However there's no fm radio! Is this normal on this rom? If I reverted back to stock would I get it back or if I update to a new rom?

Radio is a deal breaker for me,

I think CM just didnt bother with the radio. Well just because no one uses it. It should be there on stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Fistycuffs

I think CM just didnt bother with the radio. Well just because no one uses it. It should be there on stock.

Thank you. I found an fm radio app I'm very happy with anyway so I'll keep the Rom. Its called Spirit Light. Cost 3.99 but better than using my data on radio apps long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

Anyone see this before?

If you install the latest ELLA upgrade and subsequently root or install a custom Recovery/ROM, you'll get that red exclamation mark.

Twiki wrote: »
    Anyone see this before?

If you install the latest ELLA upgrade and subsequently root or install a custom Recovery/ROM, you'll get that red exclamation mark.

So I presume if I ever need to lose id need to flash back to ICS?

• Advertisement

So I presume if I ever need to lose id need to flash back to ICS?

If you flash to stock JB (incl stock recovery), you'll get rid of it. If it's then rooted, it needs to be TriangleAway'ed also.

Anyone know or use any budget oriented Bluetooth controllers with their phones? Cant really justify spending around 40 quid on a PS3 controller just for the phone. Would be quite good combo with MHL and a wireless controller on the TV sometimes :)

EDIT:

I was using an app called Unified Remote for a couple of days now. Had zero hiccups, everything from mouse to keyboard works perfect, its beyond that though, there's remote controls for media players and so on. Bought the full version and found out it even has more remotes and even more functions.

This this is a great buy and well worth $3.50 Price Tag. You can always try or use the free version. Handy when you want to control music or video from your PC when watching a movie or so without having to get up. It has a file explorer, task manager built in, works with Windows 8 too. It has support to be a BT controller, so might have to look into getting a USB BT Sender/Receiver

Here's a link to PS - > https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Relmtech.RemotePaid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Hey lads, I just found out about Samsung dive, a free find my device service for Samsung users. You'll need to activate your Samsung account, but I just tried it out and it's great. You can remotely track, ring and wipe your phone. Highly recommend it!

Edit. I don't think thst could sound any more like a bot post if I tried. But seriously though, it is a great free service.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Soldering_Iorn

Hey lads, I just found out about Samsung dive, a free find my device service for Samsung users. You'll need to activate your Samsung account, but I just tried it out and it's great. You can remotely track, ring and wipe your phone. Highly recommend it!

Edit. I don't think thst could sound any more like a bot post if I tried. But seriously though, it is a great free service.

Linkie?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

[COLOR="Blue"]Linkie?[/COLOR]

Samsungdive.com

Been playing with it the last few weeks, and is very easy to use.
    Added bonus points because my girlfriend is constantly losing her phone around the house, so it's easy to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Doesn't seem to be an option to set it up on the phone if you've got a rom on it.

Are there any good alternatives?
    On ios there's a jb app that does all this offers and also emails your account a photo taken silently with the front facing camera if an incorrect password is entered more than once on the phone.It includes time and location details. Anything similar for android ?

Doesn't seem to be an option to set it up on the phone if you've got a rom on it.

Are there any good alternatives?
    On ios there's a jb app that does all this offers and also emails your account a photo taken silently with the front facing camera if an incorrect password is entered more than once on the phone.It includes time and location details. Anything similar for android ?

If its a TW based ROM all you have to so is sign in or sign up for a Samsung account. Then you can use Samsung Dive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Anyone see this before? [red pixel picture from earlier post]

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.htc.chris.blackspotdetect&hl=en

As for the above messages, try Cerberus. It's a root application, but it eats up SamsungDive and the other competitor apps. It is total piece of mind, and it is only €1.99 for a lifetime licence.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lsdroid.cerberus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I've noticed something odd since I've gotten my s3. My earphones just aren't lasting, I think I've gone though 4 sets in the 6 months I've had the phone, normally I'd get at least a year out of them. It also coincidentally seems to be the left ear that is always breaking. Has anyone else had this or am I going crazy?

And another set have broken. This is starting to get a bit ridiculous, I can't understand how they keep breaking, and its always the same way. Thinking I might try and get it looked at if another set break soon.

Advertisement