Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭jaykay74

speeding wrote: »
    has anyone ever micro scratched there phone i noticed one this morning on my S3 Guess i need to get a screen protector gorilla glass with an oleophobic scratch prone coating makes no sense

Had a sony ericsson for over a year with no scratches. Got the S3 at the weekend and noticed a scratch this morning about half a cm :( Had it in my pocket on its own, no keys/coins anything. damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Anyone having a problem whereby everytime they enter the stock Internet app the brightness changes from automatic to level 3 power saving level?? Have to manually change it back everytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Had a sony ericsson for over a year with no scratches. Got the S3 at the weekend and noticed a scratch this morning about half a cm :( Had it in my pocket on its own, no keys/coins anything. damn.

Same happened to me. I stuck a screen on it soon after it . You cant see tge scratch now this new thinner gorilla glass 2 obviously isnt as strong as the first version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Must have only just started locking them. I got a white one last week on pay as you go and it was unlocked.
    Inquitus wrote: »
    My blue one from today is locked, and has a minor infestation of unremovable bloatware........until i root it and evict it of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭jaykay74

speeding wrote: »
    Same happened to me. I stuck a screen on it soon after it . You cant see tge scratch now this new thinner gorilla glass 2 obviously isnt as strong as the first version.

where did you get the screen ? do they have them in stock for S3 already. shop I went to didn't have any yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Intial impressions are great phone but TW4 is awful. The folder system is s step backwards from the stock ICS solution, having to manually create folders rather than drop icons on top of each other and it looks fugly too. The stock ICS icons are also much nicer for phone, messaging, internet etc. I decided to use the phone for a few day with Touchwiz before switching to Nova or Apex.

I find it hard to understand why you would customise something that stock does well and end up with a poorer solution.

The Screen is amazing, its defo a much better implementation of the Galaxy Nexus Panel, having just moved from the Nexus its clear to me that this is a big improvement.

Micro SD Slot is very nice, I slotted in my class 10 32gb and I now have 40 odd Gb's of storage available which is plenty for my needs.

The Samsung Video player is very good, plays anything I throw at it and plays them better than the market solutions such as MX player etc. did on my Galaxy Nexus.

S-Voice seems to work ok, but I am not a fan of yapping to your phone so to be quite honest Siri and S-Voice can go feck emselves.

Not tried the camera out yet, though I did root the phone and get rid of the bloatware from Voda.

Also the motion stuff is rubbish, touch the screen with 2 fingers and tilt to zoom.........em thats just far more complex and less accurate than pinch to zoom! The rest of the ones I have come across have been just as ****.

Not tested the eye tracking thing yet to see if it prevents the screen turning off if I start daydreaming while reading a book, but tbh its not something that eas ever an issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

@Inquitus

Id suggest using Apex Launcher instead.

fionny wrote: »
    @Inquitus

Id suggest using Apex Launcher instead.
    I decided to use the phone for a few day with Touchwiz before switching to Nova or Apex.

Aye i just wanted to run with TW4 for a few days so I could give some feedback on it. Apex is my next port of call per the above.

Aye i just wanted to run with TW4 for a few days so I could give some feedback on it. Apex is my next port of call per the above.

Sorry i skimmed that bit *fail*

Ya i tried to use TW for a bit too, but it is **** and makes very poor use of the awesome screen real estate.

I upped the grid on apex to 6x4 :)

Agreed. TW simply throws away the screen real estate. Ditto on the folder creation.

Only downside I can think of is that you lose the weather update on the lock screen but that's minor.

Sorry i skimmed that bit *fail*

Ya i tried to use TW for a bit too, but it is **** and makes very poor use of the awesome screen real estate.

I upped the grid on apex to 6x4 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

Anyone get the blue from three yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭PG4000

Any existing Meteor bill-pay customers had any joy getting one in any of their stores over the last couple of days? Seems to be some drought on these phones for meteor!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Not tried the camera out yet, though I did root the phone and get rid of the bloatware from Voda.
    Any link to a quick root guide for the s3? I hope to have mine tomorrow and am going away for the weekend so would like to get it rooted before i go as i think you have to do a complete wipe to get initial root access - is that still the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

jaykay74 wrote: »
    where did you get the screen ? do they have them in stock for S3 already. shop I went to didn't have any yet.

Carphone warehouse in omni santry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Second charge cycle was a little better than the first:

Fully charged when went to bed and after 7 hours on standby it was 88%, compared to 73% the first night.

I did check the "keep wifi on during sleep" box to "Never". But this says that it will use more data?? Don't understand.

I seem to have a few wakelocks from bettterbatterystat app which you can see below. Any idea of what I can do from the graphs to increase battery?

Cell standby seems VERY high and this is a common issue I've read.

[IMG][/img]screenshot2012060711452.th.png screenshot2012060712022.th.png screenshot2012060711453.th.png screenshot2012060711452.th.png screenshot2012060711454.th.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭G1032

Second charge cycle was a little better than the first:

Fully charged when went to bed and after 7 hours on standby it was 88%, compared to 73% the first night.

I did check the "keep wifi on during sleep" box to "Never". But this says that it will use more data?? Don't understand.

I seem to have a few wakelocks from bettterbatterystat app which you can see below. Any idea of what I can do from the graphs to increase battery?

Cell standby seems VERY high and this is a common issue I've read.

[IMG][/img]screenshot2012060711452.th.png screenshot2012060712022.th.png screenshot2012060711453.th.png screenshot2012060711452.th.png screenshot2012060711454.th.png

It will use more data because when your screen goes to sleep so does Wifi. If you have your data turned on then any syncing etc. will use your data when screen is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭G1032

Anyone switching launcher should really try ssLauncher
    All the others are basically the same but this is way different. Most customisable launcher there is.

G1032 wrote: »
    It will use more data because when your screen goes to sleep so does Wifi. If you have your data turned on then any syncing etc. will use your data when screen is off.

Ok I understand now.

What I don't understand is why I have to have my packet data and roaming turned on all the time just to prevent the "lost data connection" notification from coming up every 2 mins. This surely is a bug as I don't see how having both mobile data AND wifi on is helping reduce battery drain and yet its so annoying getting those notifications.

Anyone else in the same boat?

All the others are basically the same but this is way different. Most customisable launcher there is.

No offence but it looks awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

No offence but it looks awful.

Awful isn't strong enough. It must be designed for blind people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Ok I understand now.

What I don't understand is why I have to have my packet data and roaming turned on all the time just to prevent the "lost data connection" notification from coming up every 2 mins. This surely is a bug as I don't see how having both mobile data AND wifi on is helping reduce battery drain and yet its so annoying getting those notifications.

Anyone else in the same boat?

A Wi-Fi connection will drain less battery than a data connection anyway. So if you've access to a hot spot use that over data as much as you can.

draffodx wrote: »
    A Wi-Fi connection will drain less battery than a data connection anyway. So if you've access to a hot spot use that over data as much as you can.

Yeah I know that, but if i turn off my mobile data(packet and roaming) then I get those annoying notifications all the time.

I only use mobile data every few days when I've not wifi around so I don't see the point in having it on the whole time wasting battery juice just so as I can stop those notifications. It has to be some sort of clitch?

Has anyone else had this problem:

The home screen doesn't load up sometimes after i finish a call or I exit an app??

Has happened a lot today and I don't know how I can fix it. I've disabled s voice but that still hasn't fixed the problem.

I've added a photo of what the screen looks like when it doesn't load up.

[IMG][/img]screenshot2012060716492.th.png

I've no idea on what I can do apart from turning the phone off and on again. Sometimes it comes back after a period and other times I just get fed up waiting and turn it off/on.

Has anyone else had this problem:

The home screen doesn't load up sometimes after i finish a call or I exit an app??

Has happened a lot today and I don't know how I can fix it. I've disabled s voice but that still hasn't fixed the problem.

I've added a photo of what the screen looks like when it doesn't load up.

[IMG][/img]screenshot2012060716492.th.png

I've no idea on what I can do apart from turning the phone off and on again. Sometimes it comes back after a period and other times I just get fed up waiting and turn it off/on.

I notice that with TW but since I have changed to Apex its gone...

I notice that with TW but since I have changed to Apex its gone...

Oh ok. Have to change over so, even though I like to play around with the stock for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Betterbattery stats is really only useful if a rogue app/service stops your phone going to low power state and chews up battery, that doesn't seem to be happening to you, but if you don't use google talk, then it might be worth trying to exit it (it restarts itself sometimes anyway but may be worth a try).

So it might be worth running it immediately after you've seen your phone drain while on standby as your more likely to find the problem then.

I take the battery usage statistics with a large grain of salt, but cell standby does seem to be standing out in your list, which sounds like you're in a very poor signal area which can have a dramatic effect on battery life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

When I ask S-voice the weather in any country, it comes back with the question alright but the answer is always Dun Laoghaire, Dublin. Anyone had a problem with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

leemaree wrote: »
    When I ask S-voice the weather in any country, it comes back with the question alright but the answer is always Dun Laoghaire, Dublin. Anyone had a problem with this?

Just tried that there and did the same for me, weird...

If i ask for the weather in Rome, I get the weather in Rome, if I ask what the weather is like in Italy (or Russiaetc etc), I get my locations weather.

• Advertisement

Works perfectly for me.
    If i ask for the weather in Rome, I get the weather in Rome, if I ask what the weather is like in Italy (or Russiaetc etc), I get my locations weather.

Advertisement