Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Kensington wrote: »
    Common problem with the Three network.
    There is no permanent fix for it either unfortunately.
    I have the same issue with the S3 and also with the S2 on 3 network. Always seems to see the R icon over the signal bar, which I was told means that that I'm on vodaphone 2g coverage for voice/text but no 3G signal.
    Zagato wrote: »
    I met someone who was having same problem with his S2 last year. We managed to sort it by switching the network mode to 2G only for a couple of minutes, and then back again to 2G/3G. Worth a try should be in settings under mobile network.

Was this just in rural areas? or towns?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

I met someone who was having same problem with his S2 last year. We managed to sort it by switching the network mode to 2G only for a couple of minutes, and then back again to 2G/3G. Worth a try should be in settings under mobile network.

Thanks, but had tried that & unfortunately it didn't work!

It's very frustrating & appears to be only on Three network?:(

Any other ideas guys???:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

I don't know how this happened. I sent a text too my friend on the S III and the response came back on me old phone (iphone 4) It has no sim in it as the sim is in the GS3. don't know how this happened

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Getting passed off now with now been able to find the reason why my battery is still awakung while asleep :(

screenshot2012061016312.png

screenshot2012061016311.png

screenshot2012061016304.png

I switched to 2G to to see the effect and the cell standby has increased bug time :(

Can anyone take a look at the screen shots and see if I'm missing anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

It seems that 3 use o2's network if their own network is unavailable. It classifies this as "national roaming". You don't get charged extra but android notifies of the change everyone it happens. If you're turn off national roaming in settings -> mobile networks the notifications will stop but you won't be able use any data unless your in an area with 3's 3g coverage.
    keredern wrote: »

Thanks, but had tried that & unfortunately it didn't work!

It's very frustrating & appears to be only on Three network?:(

Any other ideas guys???:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

fguinan wrote: »
    It seems that 3 use o2's network if their own network is unavailable. It classifies this as "national roaming". You don't get charged extra but android notifies of the change everyone it happens. If you're turn off national roaming in settings -> mobile networks the notifications will stop but you won't be able use any data unless your in an area with 3's 3g coverage.

Nope it's Vodafone not o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Getting passed off now with now been able to find the reason why my battery is still awakung while asleep :(

I switched to 2G to to see the effect and the cell standby has increased bug time :(

Can anyone take a look at the screen shots and see if I'm missing anything?

[sarcasm] Your pics are too small, could you enlarge them? [/sarcasm]
    :D
    BUMP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

leemaree wrote: »
    I don't know how this happened. I sent a text too my friend on the S III and the response came back on me old phone (iphone 4) It has no sim in it as the sim is in the GS3. don't know how this happened

Same thing happened to me. After a bit of searching it seems it's a bug in iMessage. You need to deactivate your iPhone to fix it:

Go to: https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do
    Click on "edit products"
    Click on the "x" to the right of the product.
    Click "unregister"
    As an alternative, you can turn off iMessage from Settings > Messages. You can also tell people sending you iMessages to start sending you regular texts. All they have to do it tap and hold the blue speech bubble of an iMessage, then choose to resend it as a SMS.

Read more: http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-01-05/tech/30592078_1_iphone-android-phone-phone-or-other-device#ixzz1xQ1ffktQ

fguinan wrote: »

Unfortunately, that's not really the problem as such...It's the fact that when the phone moves to VF's network due to Three's signal being too weak, it then doesn't move back once I enter a strong Three signal area.:confused:

In other words, it stays roaming on the VF network until I manually select Three again which means I have no data usage & is driving me NUTS!!!!:mad:

BTW the R symbol comes on whether roaming is selected or deselected!!

Happens EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!

Rural, urban...on the moon!!! arrrggggghhhhh:mad::mad:

• Advertisement

keredern wrote: »
    Unfortunately, that's not really the problem as such...It's the fact that when the phone moves to VF's network due to Three's signal being too weak, it then doesn't move back once I enter a strong Three signal area.:confused:

In other words, it stays roaming on the VF network until I manually select Three again which means I have no data usage & is driving me NUTS!!!!:mad:

BTW the R symbol comes on whether roaming is selected or deselected!!

Same problem here dude. Absolutely insane that I've to manually 3 every time I want to get 3G coverage when back in a suitable area. I've spent countless hours thinking there was a problem with my S2 when I had it due to no 3G coverage and yet my mate on his HTC on 3 network had 100% signal and 3G.

So bloody annoying. Would love to know of a fix for this, as I can't keep manually selecting 3 every time I want to use mobile data. :mad::mad:

P.s Sorry lads about big screen shots earlier, sent them from my phone.

While browsing through my phone looking to find anything that was waking up my phone while it was meant to be sleeping especially during the night I went into my gallery app.

Now I use "QuickPic" app as my default gallery app as I just preferred it to the default on on the S2, so I continued to use it on the S3 when I got it.

However, I clicked into the gallery app just a while ago and too my amazement I found that it had somehow downloaded over 1700 photo's and videos from my windows live writer account to the phone!! :eek:

I never set it up to do this or did I even know that it was downloading.

So I clicked menu button and it gave me 3 options:

1. select album
    2. Scan for nearby devices
    3. View by.

I clicked the scan button and it said "scan started. Device list will soon be updated automatically.

A few seconds later i got the message: "No devices found. Scanning for nearby devices will continue in Background"

Now for me, I think this is what's possibly waking up my phone at night time as its probably searching/scanning for devices.

So i went to settings-more settings-nearby devices and it was set to "off" so it wasn't set up by default as I didn't go near it.

However, does anyone know how I can stop the gallery app from scanning for nearby devices in the background like it said above?

I'm nearly certain that its the cause of my battery drain, or at least a big part of it.

I wonder has anyone else come across this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

How are people finding the notification LED? I think it's a bit big and cheapy looking, I've just reinstalled NoLED instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Chet T16 wrote: »
    How are people finding the notification LED? I think it's a bit big and cheapy looking, I've just reinstalled NoLED instead.

Why would you install a third party app when you can just turn it off in settings?

I dont like it either if im honest so have it all switched off.

My only gripe with the phone is the screen lighting up to announce the phone is fully charged! This is an improvement on the GS2 which also announced to the world its triumphant charge cycle complete with a damn audio queue but its still beyond me why sammy thought this a good idea. Currently I make sure the phone is screen down when i go to sleep but this is just plain silly and will be one of the reasons I will switch to a custom ROM once devs get their teeth into it in earnest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Tesco are doing the S3 for free up front on an 18 month contract at €55 a month including 1000 minutes, 1000 texts and 2GB of data.
    Is that a good deal?

fionny wrote: »

Why would you install a third party app when you can just turn it off in settings?
    NoLED is a replacement that displays dots on the screen for notifications, i used it on the SII

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Really? I use it, I like how you can use a 3rd party app to change the colours of the LED and set different ones as you need them.

Also like it how it only starts flashing after your done using it, like its not super bright and flashing in your face when doing other things with it.

don't want to shorten the life of any of the amoleds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Can't stand it. Purely an annoyance for me. But its grand seen as its easily turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

fionny wrote: »
    Can't stand it. Purely an annoyance for me. But its grand seen as its easily turned off.

Agreed. Anything that keeps me awake at night needs to be culled :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

How do you add a word in messages when using predictive text there used to be an option to add word on the the s2 but it's not there on the s3

• Advertisement

god's toy wrote: »

Really? I use it, I like how you can use a 3rd party app to change the colours of the LED and set different ones as you need them.

Also like it how it only starts flashing after your done using it, like its not super bright and flashing in your face when doing other things with it.

don't want to shorten the life of any of the amoleds.
    The biggest annoyance is that it's badly diffused. Unless it's solid red, green or blue you can see the individual LEDs. Also it's too big and too bright. The desire one was perfect.

Actually, I find the capacitive buttons are too bright too!

Why does my wifi connection take a few seconds to "wake" up when I turn on my screen? I have it set to always stay awake and yet it doesn't seem to be doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Why does my wifi connection take a few seconds to "wake" up when I turn on my screen? I have it set to always stay awake and yet it doesn't seem to be doing that?

Initially the one I have here done that too, I change the setting a few times and it seemed to start working.

draffodx wrote: »

Initially the one I have here done that too, I change the setting a few times and it seemed to start working.

What settings did you change?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The Wi-Fi sleep policy setting (Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep) and rebooted the phone.

draffodx wrote: »

The Wi-Fi sleep policy setting (Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep) and rebooted the phone.

I'll try that so. Thanks.

Edit:

Thanks, the reboot sorted it out! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Honestly, no.

But i imagine you've only posted because you want someone to convince you to get the SIII, which i think you should do. ;)

Decision made. I'm holding onto my S2 until early next year. It's absolutely tip top, I have spare batteries specific to it so I can last 3-4 days without having to charge if travelling and I've a custom ROM on it set up just how I like. I know the S3 is a step up but I think I'll wait 6 months until the price drops and there has been a good bit of ROM development for the S3 before I dive in.

I'll be keeping an eye on here with some envy however and wouldn't be surprised if I just impulsively buy it some day I'm near a CPW :D

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Anyone recommend a good case??

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭vicM

BenThere wrote: »
    Honestly, no.

But i imagine you've only posted because you want someone to convince you to get the SIII, which i think you should do. ;)

Decision made. I'm holding onto my S2 until early next year. It's absolutely tip top, I have spare batteries specific to it so I can last 3-4 days without having to charge if travelling and I've a custom ROM on it set up just how I like. I know the S3 is a step up but I think I'll wait 6 months until the price drops and there has been a good bit of ROM development for the S3 before I dive in.

I'll be keeping an eye on here with some envy however and wouldn't be surprised if I just impulsively buy it some day I'm near a CPW :D

Ben
    I've been eyeing the s3 as well, but had recently got a car holder for the s2, will wait out but boy played with one in a three store and I can see they really toned down TW, where is the notification LED on it btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 justmaybe

An incorrect phone number is showing up on the Status of my new s3, does anyone know how to change the number?

Advertisement