Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Anyone else keep getting that "connected to wi-fi network" popup every time you turn on screen? So bloody annoying.
    And how do I stop getting the "you have lost data connectivity" notification? It seems it will only stop once I turn mobile data on, but I hardly ever use mobile data so how do I stop these notifications from coming up? :mad:

Have you got wifi set to stay connected when your screen is off? This may explaine your apps not updating when your not using your phone...

The 3g thing was (if I remember right) a bug in an older version of Android. But it looks to be back once more.

Edit: jusr read this, it may help: Enable National data roaming and you wont get a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

When I leave the Wifi area e.g. my house. I can't connect to the net even though I have 2 gig of data allowance. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

I'm loving the larger screen for browsing.

Knine wrote: »
    When I leave the Wifi area e.g. my house. I can't connect to the net even though I have 2 gig of data allowance. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

I'm loving the larger screen for browsing.

Is the 3g icon showing up? look to see if your data traffic is on or off. You can see by holding in the power button for a few seconds and read the options.
    Look in your network settings to see if data roaming is turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

you need to enable mobile data as well as wifi. wifi = connecting to broadband in a house etc.. mobile data = connecting to satellite of your provider. it should be in settings, wireless and network

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

god's toy wrote: »
    Have you got wifi set to stay connected when your screen is off? This may explaine your apps not updating when your not using your phone...

The 3g thing was (if I remember right) a bug in an older version of Android. But it looks to be back once more.

Edit: jusr read this, it may help: Enable National data roaming and you wont get a warning.

I can only enable Data roaming when I enable "use packet data" which turns on mobile data. That kinda defeats the purpose imo because I have both wifi and mobile data on which will kill the battery obviously.

?

• Advertisement

I can only enable Data roaming when I enable "use packet data" which turns on mobile data. That kinda defeats the purpose imo because I have both wifi and mobile data on which will kill the battery obviously.

?

Nope when your using wifi data the packet data won't be used, it auto turns off.

Nope when your using wifi data the packet data won't be used, it auto turns off.

Really? So even though both are turned on, only wifi will be searching/using battery juice looking for a signal?? Never ever knew that even with the S2 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Andremac96

When the new iphone comes out it will be better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Andremac96 wrote: »

Of course it will, just like all the other previously released ones. Now run along, that's a good lad.

Really? So even though both are turned on, only wifi will be searching/using battery juice looking for a signal?? Never ever knew that even with the S2 :rolleyes:

Yep. :-) but if there is no wifi signal available it will try 3g. Wifi comes first if both are enabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Mini Review for ye:

Looks and feel:

Improvement on the GS2 in feel wise it feels solid and comfortable in the hand, even an avid iphone fan agreed it feels good and does not look or feel plasticy. The over-all weight is marginally heavier then the gs2 but hard to notice. The over-all size is marginally bigger on the top and bottom of the phone over the gs2 but still feels right.

The screen feels lovely, finger glides along it easier and the screen runs right to the edge.

Screen and Software:

First impressions on turning the phone on, wow the screen is a stunner, its as sharp as the iphone 4s, just lovely and it has the size to be useful, personally think this is the screen size thats is just right for a smart phone, any bigger and it wouldnt be practical. I think they hit the sweet spot.

Touchwiz is what it is, not great. I kept it for 4 days and then switched to Apex launcher, I think upped the amount of rows to make full use of the screen real estate:

2012-06-05234517.png

All the nifty gestures etc of samsungs are still there, so I can swipe my palm across the screen to take a screenshot etc... etc... all the ones you have seen advertised.

Its fast! Response time is nippy and slick now hanging about, its noticible over the gs2.

Battery:

Great, ive not been using any battery saving apps etc.. to test and so far today its been off charge for 15hours with fair usage throughout the day and still go 39% per screenshot above.

I believe the quad core actually benefits battery usage by offloading different apps to different cores.. also the bigger battery helps.

Summary:

Happy with the phone :) Improvement on the GS2 and it only cost me 30euro thanks to the sale of the old phone! Result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Whats the calendar widget you're using?

unklerosco wrote: »
    Whats the calendar widget you're using?

Calendar is called Simple Calender Widget, the clock is SiMi clock.

I love the calender been using it a long time now. Very customisable.

Still haven't received my dropbox increase? Anyone know if I need to do something to activate it or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Still haven't received my dropbox increase? Anyone know if I need to do something to activate it or not?

I got an email from dropbox to activate additional 48gb when I signed in to dropbox on the s3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I haven't seen anything from dropbox since I activated it on the phone... How long did it take before u got the email?

Scratch that, once I opened the app and opened a file I got the email... Mmmmm, 58gb of dropbox space.. Nice bonus..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

Andremac96 wrote: »

Only if you're a sheep. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Meteor had blue & white in this morning online. Blue gone again. I ordered one with emobile - im hoping to have it by friday in blue....We will see i guess! Anyway for those looking at getting it as PAYG on meteor for 599 i signed up with bill pay for 12 months with emobile - 319 for handset & 12 * 19 per month so it works out at €550 in total - better than paying the 600 upfront plus you get 100 minutes 100 texts and unlimited landline calls thrown in. I probably wont use the minute side of the contract as i already have loads on my existing contract with meteor but for those looking to buy it PAYG this might be cheaper. Also i think 3 are doing it as PAYG for 570 and the phones so far seem to be unlocked so might be another option

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Just sign in and you get it. I got it instantly. Then got an email later to confirm it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

has anyone ever micro scratched there phone i noticed one this morning on my S3 Guess i need to get a screen protector gorilla glass with an oleophobic scratch prone coating makes no sense

• Advertisement

So first full day with the phone and only 1 minor complaint....Battery drain overnight.

Charged it up and more or less played with it over the course of the day(roughly 6 hours of heavy usage).

Went to sleep and there was 27% left, which was pretty awesome in my opinion, but 6 hours later when I woke up it had died :(

Don't understand how it could have happened but I hear its common at this stage until they sort out a few bugs?

Other than that this beast is a cracker and a step up from the S2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Just got this phone on prepay this morning :) Before I set it up, are my number transfered from the iphone to the SIII and what about messages?

leemaree wrote: »
    Just got this phone on prepay this morning :) Before I set it up, are my number transfered from the iphone to the SIII and what about messages?

If you had google sync setup then your numbers should be okay but im guessing you didnt do that. You will need to look up the best way of doing it.

As for your messages I dont think there is an easy way of moving them.

speeding wrote: »
    has anyone ever micro scratched there phone i noticed one this morning on my S3 Guess i need to get a screen protector gorilla glass with an oleophobic scratch prone coating makes no sense

Yep, within the first 2 hrs of owning it I had put 3 on the screen... Not happy as it was only in my pocket with the GS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Just wondering what network, what billpay/prepay plans, and data plans people have? So i can decide before I can join the S3 club.

Meteor for me using my old Smart 35 Tarrif - 200min 200texts 1gig data 12 month contract - phone cost 299 and is €35 a month.

fionny wrote: »
    Meteor for me using my old Smart 35 Tarrif - 200min 200texts 1gig data 12 month contract - phone cost 299 and is €35 a month.

Is that tariff still available? Its only 18 months online.

Also how does the 1Gb suit you? All Id use is facebook, windows outlook and twitter daily. Would the 1Gig do me?

Is that tariff still available? Its only 18 months online.

Also how does the 1Gb suit you? All Id use is facebook, windows outlook and twitter daily. Would the 1Gig do me?

Nice mini review btw.

Not sure you could ask for it by name and see if they will offer it to you.

1gig is more then enough for that, i do a bit more and never come close to my cap.

fionny wrote: »
    Not sure you could ask for it by name and see if they will offer it to you.

1gig is more then enough for that, i do a bit more and never come close to my cap.

Cheers.

Were you already on contract before buying it?

• Advertisement

Cheers.

Were you already on contract before buying it?

Yeah, but its worth asking they might still offer it to you. Dumb priest etc...

Advertisement