Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Have S3 and so far loving it. I also like what Samsung have done with the software. Although not a fan of touchwiz they have put some thought into how you use a phone and made some nice motion additions that (for the most part) are useful.

Also has anyone else got the problem with the stock browser in that the display dims once the browser is on an active page. Switch to settings or back to home page and the display brightens up again. Couldn't figure out how to turn this off so switched to chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

The browser has its own brightness settings.
    Open the browser, tap the menu soft key, select brightness and colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Thanks. Couldn't see that menu item because the screen was soooo dark!
    mathew wrote: »
    The browser has its own brightness settings.
    Open the browser, tap the menu soft key, select brightness and colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

How are people finding S-voice? Is it any bit useful or a complete gimmick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

racer1 wrote: »
    5500 wrote: »
    Type *#7465625# A window will pop up telling you what locks are on.

Yes just tried it and its unlocked too.....Happy days....

If I go into 3 Dun Laoghaire and buy this on prepay, would it b unlocked? As 3 ur the cheapest on prepay or is it just by luck whichever one u would get that's unlocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm not sure if I'm just not seeing the option, but how do you get Swype working on the phone? I have it working in text messages, but it's not working anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Davie89 wrote: »

I think its behind right now, like if you put up to ones that have been around a while like Speak to it it has a way to go, but I would think it will only get better as more people use it/as its updated.

It also depends on how you ask it things, like changing just one word can be the difference between getting the right answer or getting the 'I dont know what you mean' response.

I do like how you can change its wake up call, lol I call mine 'Computer'! (big Star Trek fan here) all I need is the real voice file and I'm happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

god's toy wrote: »
    Some info here: http://www.beinggadget.com/16/galaxy-s-ii-disable-fast-dormancy-to-improve-battery-life/

Wonder if any of our networks use it?

Three, I'm looking at you!

I'm with 3 as well and when I typed in *#9900# I saw that fast dormancy was enabled by default. So I've just disabled it now and I'll see if there's any difference over the next day.

After typing in the code which option did you choose to open fast dormancy option?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

DarkBlonde wrote: »
    Some info here: http://www.beinggadget.com/16/galaxy-s-ii-disable-fast-dormancy-to-improve-battery-life/

I'm with 3 as well and when I typed in *#9900# I saw that fast dormancy was enabled by default. So I've just disabled it now and I'll see if there's any difference over the next day.

After typing in the code which option did you choose to open fast dormancy option?

When I typed it in the option screen just came up and "disable fast dormancy" button was there, so I just pressed that. It changed to "enable fast dormancy".

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

When I typed it in the option screen just came up and "disable fast dormancy" button was there, so I just pressed that. It changed to "enable fast dormancy".

Weird when I type it in I get a list of system dump options but nothing labeled fast dormancy. My battery performance isn't great. I suspect it's because of bad coverage. Phone keeps hopping between roaming and three. Or it could be because I haven't put phone down since Wednesday :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Weird when I type it in I get a list of system dump options but nothing labeled fast dormancy. My battery performance isn't great. I suspect it's because of bad coverage. Phone keeps hopping between roaming and three. Or it could be because I haven't put phone down since Wednesday :-)

Same here, straight to system dump !

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

has anyone had the one x and wanna compare them as phones?
    just wonderring if i shud really go for the s3 compared to the one x which seems almost as good imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

kenyard wrote: »
    just wonderring if i shud really go for the s3 compared to the one x which seems almost as good imo...

The reasons I chose the s3 over the one X was HTC seem to be going the way of apple, no micro sd, no replacable battery. And locked bootloaders. The two phones seem to be very similar otherwise.. plenty of comparison vids on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

gbob wrote: »
    The reasons I chose the s3 over the one X was HTC seem to be going the way of apple, no micro sd, no replacable battery. And locked bootloaders. The two phones seem to be very similar otherwise.. plenty of comparison vids on YouTube.

And as well a consequence of that unibody,
    its more likely the screen will crack after a fall. As well as the fact the battery life is better on the s3. I think opinion on the looks have improved since the launch as well, it feels much nicer in the hand than in the press photos, certainly.
    Anyone considering either either should check out both of them but I think most current s2 users will still.plump for the s3, very different feel about the two phones

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Davie89 wrote: »
    I think its behind right now, like if you put up to ones that have been around a while like Speak to it it has a way to go, but I would think it will only get better as more people use it/as its updated.

It also depends on how you ask it things, like changing just one word can be the difference between getting the right answer or getting the 'I dont know what you mean' response.

I do like how you can change its wake up call, lol I call mine 'Computer'! (big Star Trek fan here) all I need is the real voice file and I'm happy!

Id go with Gods Toy comment, WP7 voice recognition was at the very same level on launch, it improved with time. Sometimes it used to get extremely random recognition with random stuff and then sometimes used to suck. It works very well now. Id expect S Voice will improve over time.

Might be because you haven't put it down :) On heavy usage I got a full day as usual, light to mediocre usage when I was working I got two days with WiFi, BT and GPS on all day.
    kenyard wrote: »
    gbob wrote: »
    Zonda999 wrote: »
    And as well a consequence of that unibody,
    its more likely the screen will crack after a fall. As well as the fact the battery life is better on the s3. I think opinion on the looks have improved since the launch as well, it feels much nicer in the hand than in the press photos, certainly.
    Anyone considering either either should check out both of them but I think most current s2 users will still.plump for the s3, very different feel about the two phones

They are pretty much the same, I preffer the screen on the One X cause its an RGB matrix so you get that true HD. Though its hard to see the Pixels on the S3. S3 has a MicroSD card slot too so that's pretty handy. Also you have the option of swapping batteries.

Though if I was just to pick one id def get the One X over the SGS3. I was pretty sick of Sense as it was around for so so long, but Sense 4 brings lots of nice changes

Though the main reason is I just think the S3 looks awful compared to a lot of the phones out there, white color is too messy and not a fan of the pebble blue colour. It scratches quite easily too. Though I do have to say the S3 feels a lot more ergonomic in hand compared to the S2 and just being a square block.

You can unlock you boot loader with HTC. HTC provides you a way of doing so.

Is it just me or does the Sky Go app not work on the GS3.?? Works fine on gs2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I thought that it wasn't compatible with ICS yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 iwishiknew

Sooo tempted to upgrade from my humble S. Looks like a lovely piece of kit. They've definitely upgraded the prices too. :(

Sorry meant to say that I'm still using my S2 as the S3 is arriving Tuesday. So my disabling fast dormancy I was talking about was on the s2. For some reason I put that question in this thread instead of the S2 thread. My bad lads, sorry for misunderstanding.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

Hey guys I changed the wallpaper and now I want un change it back to the original ripple effect how on I do it I can't find it in live wallpapers

• Advertisement

Had a quick 5 min play with the S3 today in carphone warehouse. Absolutely love it. Can't wait for Tuesday now :)

Zagato wrote: »

I thought that it wasn't compatible with ICS yet?

Was convinced they fixed that. But I've just tested it and your right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

I have been on a 18 month contract with emobile since Christmas. After buying the S2. Would they give me a trade in or what do ye think or would I have to play full price? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭marathonic

closeline wrote: »
    I have been on a 18 month contract with emobile since Christmas. After buying the S2. Would they give me a trade in or what do ye think or would I have to play full price? Thanks.

No trade in.... Your only option is buying PAYG or Sim-Free..

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Craigels wrote: »
    Hey guys I changed the wallpaper and now I want un change it back to the original ripple effect how on I do it I can't find it in live wallpapers

I think this is what you're looking for..

Settings > Security > Lock Screen Options > Ripple Effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I would like to get the S3. I'm currently with Vodafone on billpay but won't be renewing my contract with them. I may even switch to PAYG. I have the S2 at the moment and love it but not its battery life.

When I go on the Vodafone site, there is an option to notify when in stock? Is there anywhere else I can get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Knine wrote: »
    I would like to get the S3. I'm currently with Vodafone on billpay but won't be renewing my contract with them. I may even switch to PAYG. I have the S2 at the moment and love it but not its battery life.

When I go on the Vodafone site, there is an option to notify when in stock? Is there anywhere else I can get one?

I'd say try a Vodafone store, or Carphone Warehouse. Not sure if they are still in stock though...

I gave up waiting on the vodafone website - their online forum makes interesting reading..

Any particular thread in their online forum?:D

I used to have iphones but got rid of them when they kept dropping calls and have never looked back. However I think if I put half the amount of call credit on my phone as I pay on the monthly bill I would be flying.

I think I will try carphone warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ChriisM

Anyone know where to get a white one in dublin , been looking everywhere its a pain! Or does anyone have any new on when CPWH will have them in stock, they seem to be cheapest

• Advertisement

I think they are in stock online

Advertisement