Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Phones expected in tomorrow morning. Whoop!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

RangeR wrote: »

Where from?

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

How

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭silentbutnice

From where??

To fulfillment from Uncle Sam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Ah b*ll*x just after reading the gsm arena review it uses a micro sim slot:mad: I prefer the normal size sim as it came in handy while getting my s2 screen replaced I just slotted it into my nokia and of I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Ah b*ll*x just after reading the gsm arena review it uses a micro sim slot:mad: I prefer the normal size sim as it came in handy while getting my s2 screen replaced I just slotted it into my nokia and of I went.

Just so you know, Microsims actually do still work in other phones assuming you can get the contact points aligned correctly.

Also, you can buy little plastic holders that make the sims normal size to work easier in another device.

I used a micro sim in my galaxy s2 for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I have bought a microsim cutter, i'm not ready to give up my esat digifone sim just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I would be wary and the contacts are bigger on the older sim and you will probably end up cutting the actual contacts rather than the plastic.

Was playing with a S3 today. It's not, does not look as fugly as the PR picks and the blue/navy one looks quite nice. I still prefer vanilla Android but TouchWiz isn't as invasive as it was on the S2. Seems very snappy, but no more so than the S2 for day to day usage. No shutter lag and pictures seemed to get captured immediately. Not too much longer to wait now, but personally, I'm perfectly happy with my Galaxy Nexus and for my usage, I have no reason to update or change.

Where were you playing with the S3 Chris?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I have a microsim in a nokia 6300 at the moment! It works perfectly, while my xperia s is being repaired :pac:

I'd love an S3 though, so they better drop in price soon!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

racer1 wrote: »
    Where were you playing with the S3 Chris?

Samsung rep had it with him today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Hmmm maybe I'll get a proper sim. Can you go into any o2 shop and just pick one up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Hmmm maybe I'll get a proper sim. Can you go into any o2 shop and just pick one up?

Yep, or carphone warehouse! Just takes a minute or 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Anyone who just thinks it plain ugly as well, have a look at the shots of it in the gsmarena review, looks far better to me in those shots than the PR pictures

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9300_galaxy_s_iii-review-761.php

gsmarena_006.jpg

gsmarena_004.jpg

gsmarena_012.jpg

Did anyone notice the battery level percentage showing in the topbar in that picture of the s3.

I'm curious to know is that built in or via 3rd party app

Edit: to answer my own question, according to http://www.mobileindustryreview.com/2012/05/samsung-galaxy-s3-somos-technical-genius-naji-el-arifi-gets-hands-on-for-us.html Samsung have added it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

thomasj wrote: »
    Did anyone notice the battery level percentage showing in the topbar in that picture of the s3.

I'm curious to know is that built in or via 3rd party app

Edit: to answer my own question, according to http://www.mobileindustryreview.com/2012/05/samsung-galaxy-s3-somos-technical-genius-naji-el-arifi-gets-hands-on-for-us.html Samsung have added it!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Samsung added it to all of their devices via the ICS upgrade. It was added on the Galaxy Note.

Just got an email from meteor saying it now available to pre order..... White not available till June 1st:):mad:

Kaiboshed until Monday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Meteor - Prepay: https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-as-you-go-phones/samsung-galaxy-s-III

€599, €50 more expensive than German Amazon so UNLESS tey are selling these unlocked, forget it. Three are €560 so that'd be the way to go, for now.

Meteor - Billpay: https://store.meteor.ie/phones/bill-pay-phones/samsung-galaxy-s-III

Okay so on their standard 200 mins/texts, meteor talk + text, 1Gb data plan, the phone costs €300 on an 18 month contract, at €25.41 per month for the first 12 months and €30.50 for the remaining 6 months. So, over 18 months, you overall bill should come to €487.91. So, overall the ownership cost for 18 months is €787.91

Buying the phone sim free off German Amazon will cost you €585. Bearing mind the sam mins/texts/data allocation from meteor at 30 day contract basis is €20.33/month. Over 18 months, that's be €365.94. so adding that to the sim-free cost of the phone, the ownership cost over 18 months would be €950.94 so €163.03 more expensive to go the sim free route.

Its worth mentionig that plenty people here on meteor, I imagine would be on the mins/texts/data allocation already mentioned for €15.33/month (That offer ended about a month ago I think). At that cost, the overall ownership cost over 18 months (Assuming that plan will always be €15.33/month, which I doubt) will be €860.94, still €73 more expensive.

eMobile's plans have yet to come out so they might yet be the cheapest way of getting the phone. If on their cheapest 12 month plan for non eircom customers, the phone costs the same as the ONE X, €270, the phone should be just over €500 in real terms, which would probably be the way to go, and if you're on another network, you can sell you eMobile minutes/texts to some friend or something and recoup some of that cost back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Meteor - Billpay: https://store.meteor.ie/phones/bill-pay-phones/samsung-galaxy-s-III

Okay so on their standard 200 mins/texts, meteor talk + text, 1Gb data plan, the phone costs €300 on an 18 month contract, at €25.41 per month. So, over 18 months, you overall bill should come to €457.38. So, overall the ownership cost for 18 months is €757.38

On that Meteor plan, it's €25.41 per month for the 1st 12 months. After 12 months it reverts to €30.50 per month for the rest of the contract. By my calculations the overall cost of ownership for 18 months is €787.91 :)

• Advertisement

Do they actually enforce that though? Wouldnt create a good impression for your bill to increase 6 months before your contract expires. It would still be cheaper though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Do they actually enforce that though? Wouldnt create a good impression for your bill to increase 6 months before your contract expires. It would still be cheaper though

Yes, they do enforce it. I'm on month 18 of my contract with that bill. You're right, it's still cheaper, but it's good to be aware of these things

Certainly, you'd tend to forget about that. It is annoying to see that the bill pay option is agin the cheapest way of getting these phones, only about a year ago, the sim-free + 30 day contract was cheaper almost every time

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

will three have the phone network locked and branded Im with meteor not due upgrade till December so either i get it on amazon and still with my current meteor plan or try get it else where

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Hmmm, im quite disappointed meteor havent given a 12month offering at the higher price.

I think meteor still do 12 month contracts but not online! Try a meteor store or a Carphone warehouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Craigels wrote: »
    will three have the phone network locked and branded Im with meteor not due upgrade till December so either i get it on amazon and still with my current meteor plan or try get it else where

Anyone I know who had a 3 phone, it was network locked and they were charged if they wanted to unlock it.

Don't know if that is still the case. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole TBH especially after the NBS farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Any word in Vodafone? I'm due an upgrade in 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

vodafone were supposed to have it on release date from what i heard, i registered my interest with them but no word as of yet either.
    i need to go with them to have reception at work. its the only reason im picking them.
    im guessing they will be their usual 18 month contract at 45 euro or whatever though :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

kenyard wrote: »
    vodafone were supposed to have it on release date from what i heard, i registered my interest with them but no word as of yet either.
    i need to go with them to have reception at work. its the only reason im picking them.
    im guessing they will be their usual 18 month contract at 45 euro or whatever though :/

Just perfect timing then so. The 18 months 45 pm package is just perfect for me, I'm a business customer, I get the VAT back.

Advertisement