Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Expansys showing as expected stock in 7 days :/

Emailing...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I think meteor still do 12 month contracts but not online! Try a meteor store or a Carphone warehouse

Legally obliged to offer one, if asked. IIRC.

Although the actual rates might be punitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

kenyard wrote: »
    vodafone were supposed to have it on release date from what i heard, i registered my interest with them but no word as of yet either.
    i need to go with them to have reception at work. its the only reason im picking them.
    im guessing they will be their usual 18 month contract at 45 euro or whatever though :/

What's the story with Vodafone my way plans... There so expensive unless you buy the 65.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I see e mobile have released pricing
    319 on the lowest tarrif @ 14.23 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Anyone ordered a case for there phone yet? Any recommendations? I usually prefer the slip on gel covers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

i reckon its best to wait and see what cases are best first before being one of the people who tries them out, though generally the gel cases fit anyway as they stretch a bit. ill probably just be getting a screen protector. my guess is the phone is gonna be big enough as it is :)
    sill tempted by the htc one x also though :/
    will see hwo long its taking places to get this in stock. and if its worth buying on contract with vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

s_carnage wrote: »
    Anyone ordered a case for there phone yet? Any recommendations? I usually prefer the slip on gel covers.

Yep just ordered a run of the mill Gel case and 10 screen protectors to get by until the likes of case-mate and others have a few types out.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭whatstherush

Another full review TechRadar Review

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

and one from The Verge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

• Advertisement

and one more, Stuff mag really liked it!

http://www.stuff.tv/review/samsung-galaxy-s3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

god's toy wrote: »
    Yep just ordered a run of the mill Gel case and 10 screen protectors to get by until the likes of case-mate and others have a few types out.

10 screen protectors? :confused: It has gorilla glass. Scratch resistant. Same with the galaxy S2 - mine has 0 scratches on it after a year of being inside a pocket with keys every single day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Screen protectors just gimp your screen, waste of time. Will not protect screen from breaking either. Gel-case yes - screen protector no.

Also stop going on about gorilla glass, it's just a brandname. All devices have some kind of hardened glass, may not be gorilla glass tho.

Elessar wrote: »
    10 screen protectors? :confused: It has gorilla glass. Scratch resistant. Same with the galaxy S2 - mine has 0 scratches on it after a year of being inside a pocket with keys every single day.

Well 5 for me and 5 for wife.

Yep I know what it has BUT I still want to make sure. It wont be doing the phone any harm having them on so I'm happy to use em.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

srsly78 wrote: »
    Screen protectors just gimp your screen, waste of time. Will not protect screen from breaking either. Gel-case yes - screen protector no.

Also stop going on about gorilla glass, it's just a brandname. All devices have some kind of hardened glass, may not be gorilla glass tho.

So your saying that having no screen protector on your phone is better than having one? And what about scratches to the screen?

So your saying that having no screen protector on your phone is better than having one? And what about scratches to the screen?

Screens on most modern smartphones are scratch resistant. Gorilla Glass is a brand name to look out for when buying a phone, very popular. The SGS 2 has it and I havent had a single scratch on the screen.

Screens on most modern smartphones are scratch resistant. Gorilla Glass is a brand name to look out for when buying a phone, very popular. The SGS 2 has it and I havent had a single scratch on the screen.

I have the S2 and waiting for the S3, but I've had a screen protector on the S2 from day one just because I'd be worried about possible scratches from money/keys etc.

Is it really difficult to scratch the screen or have you to just be careful with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I have the S2 and waiting for the S3, but I've had a screen protector on the S2 from day one just because I'd be worried about possible scratches from money/keys etc.

Is it really difficult to scratch the screen or have you to just be careful with it?

I have a SGS2 since Dec 2011. Put a screen protector on it near day 1. Until 2 weeks ago. In those two weeks, I've a few scratches on the screen. I don't treat it roughly and it's barley used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've a mate scratched his S2, it is possible

RangeR wrote: »
    I have a SGS2 since Dec 2011. Put a screen protector on it near day 1. Until 2 weeks ago. In those two weeks, I've a few scratches on the screen. I don't treat it roughly and it's barley used.

yeah this is why I prefer to stick a screen protector on mine and be happy that I don't have to worry about what pocket I put it into.

But I'm sure the day is coming where there will be "true" scratch resistant screens on phones.

• Advertisement

I find that hard to believe. Are you sure they're scratches?

I've had the SGS2 in my right pocket along with my keys every day of the week since I bought it with no screen protector, and, looking at it now, there is not one scratch on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I find that hard to believe. Are you sure they're scratches?

I know what a scratch on a screen is like. Barely noticeable but it's there.

Seriously, just because it's not happened to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I know what a scratch on a screen is like. Barely noticeable but it's there.

Seriously, just because it's not happened to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Gorilla glass is tough enough but it's not completely foolproof eg something as simple as sand can still make **** of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

They do scratch and a lot easier then people think too.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

I have the s2 and I scratched the screen with keys in my pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Craigels wrote: »
    I have the s2 and I scratched the screen with keys in my pocket

Mine scratched in first 24hrs in my pocket, small, but I notice it. Have just been careful there's nothing else in my pocket since, and in the year only additional scratches have been from a couple of face down falls

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Played with the G3 for 10 mins yesterday. I must admit to being somewhat underwhelmed, especially compared to how I felt when I got a sneak preview of the Galaxy Nexus a few months ago.

I don't like the plastic rim/bezel that surrounds the screen. You can really make it out in photos but it is very noticeable when holding it - looks terrible.

I don't like how it feels in the hand. The plastics used feel cheap and nasty - not unlike other samsung handsets in my experience and no where near te same quality materials as htc are using. Really didn't like the rear cover. The handset feels like it would explode if you dropped it.

While fast, there seems to still be a lot of lag when navigating the OS. For example, select a home screen other than the first one and then press the home button. The handset actually lags out for close to a second.

Asides from that, I am worried that I will struggle with Touchwiz.

Anyone else thats preordered off amazon.de getting emails off them daily??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Played with the G3 for 10 mins yesterday. I must admit to being somewhat underwhelmed, especially compared to how I felt when I got a sneak preview of the Galaxy Nexus a few months ago.

I don't like the plastic rim/bezel that surrounds the screen. You can really make it out in photos but it is very noticeable when holding it - looks terrible.

I don't like how it feels in the hand. The plastics used feel cheap and nasty - not unlike other samsung handsets in my experience and no where near te same quality materials as htc are using. Really didn't like the rear cover. The handset feels like it would explode if you dropped it.

While fast, there seems to still be a lot of lag when navigating the OS. For example, select a home screen other than the first one and then press the home button. The handset actually lags out for close to a second.

Asides from that, I am worried that I will struggle with Touchwiz.

Really torn between getting the one X on monday or waiting for the S3,,,,,,, this does not sound too promising for the S3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

No scratches on my galaxy2. Have even won bets down the pub over this "scratch this with your keys and get a free pint". What in the name of god are you people doing to scratch it? Phone in back pocket and sitting on it?

One scratch someone showed me was easily fixed with some vigourous wiping :P

If you put a screen protector on it you reduce the quality of the screen, simple as that - you are adding another layer.

Advertisement