Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

marcbrophy wrote: »
    On the plus side, any O2 locked phone should work fine on 48 or Tesco mobile.

Are you sure on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

fionny wrote: »
    Meteor didnt even bother locking the GS2 dont know why networks waste their energy.

Id imagine the Pay as you go price will be pretty close to the simfree retail for it, that was the case with the GS2 anyway.

I think €499 would be good price for PAYG, but I reckon I'm dreaming, as SIM free is over €600 at the moment! :)
    RangeR wrote: »
    Are you sure on that?

Yeah, the network code of O2 mobiles, which is used to network lock a phone is 272-02 which would be the same code that 48 and Tesco need to use to access the O2 network as an virtual network.

Same relationship as eMobile with Meteor and Postfone with Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I reckon it will be €549 prepay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I reckon it will be €549 prepay

You're probably spot on there!

Looks like I'll be buying it second hand! Sometime after the Galaxy SIV is announced :pac:

Yeah, I was looking forward to this phone for months but I was pretty underwhelmed when it finally was announced.. As well spending over €500 too is a bit much for me at the moment.. think I might just get a second hand S2.. Coming from a S1..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

kenyard wrote: »
    whos got it on release?
    just o2 and vodafone? i went into o2 today and theyre robbery. 45 quid a month for basic stuff... and that only includes 250 txt and minutes, and free txt to o2 who i know noone on it.. so will end up running up a bill bethinks.. but its a 6 month contract only, so maybe worth it if they knock off some amount off the phone then switch back to meteor/ that new crowd which does stuff for a tenner a month

Last i looked, 02's data rates were archaic, and Vodafone's monthly rental, to me, seemed exorbitant.

I hope this eMobile crowd work out for me.......

fionny wrote: »
    Meteor just confirmed on their forums they will have it at the end of the month:

http://forums.meteor.ie/t5/Samsung/The-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-Megathread/td-p/22723/page/4

So eMobile as well then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Think I'll stick with the SGS2 for a while, does everything I need, which means I can move from Meteor contract to another possibly cheaper one, does anyone know contracts cheaper than Meteors €35 a month?
    I'm not too fecked about calls or texts as I never use them up, at least 1GB of internet would be nice though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭enviro

My only concern is could I live with something that big in my pocket, will have to see it in person and decide then, obviously from a technology point of view, it is superb.

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Think I'll stick with the SGS2 for a while, does everything I need, which means I can move from Meteor contract to another possibly cheaper one, does anyone know contracts cheaper than Meteors €35 a month?
    I'm not too fecked about calls or texts as I never use them up, at least 1GB of internet would be nice though. :)

Have a look at eMoble?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I've pre-ordered an SIII from expansys, 659.99 sim-free. 16GB Blue. I prefer the white one but don't want a white phone!

Its needs to be confirmed when they have stock so can still back out if i want. I think i only ordered so i'd stop thinking about whether to get one or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I've pre-ordered an SIII from expansys, 659.99 sim-free. 16GB Blue. I prefer the white one but don't want a white phone!

Its needs to be confirmed when they have stock so can still back out if i want. I think i only ordered so i'd stop thinking about whether to get one or not!

That seems way to expensive.

Im sure it would be cheaper to buy it on release day over here (End of the month). I would think that they would be selling for around €560

They you would also have to wait longer to get it off them, they wont ship until the release day or later, so that means an extra few days of waiting. It also means that you dont actually get to see the phone before you decide to buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

Its 588 euro on Amazon.De and avaiable in white:-)

I'll be candid and say that i thought Expansys were infarmous for padding their prices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I think its interesting that with the latest round of phones they have pushed prices up again - HTCOneX, SIII both a little more expensive than predecessors.

Amazing that people will spend over 500 almost annually on luxury phones with marginal improvment over the last one.

Anyone else thinking this trend needs to stop and reverse ?

Well they're certainly reaching tolerable limits with the screen size, I'd be pretty sure the S4 won't have a 5.2" screen like the Note. As for the price creeping up, fact of life really, but they aren't far off the iphone in price now. I reckon this year and next year will probably see the end of the phenomenal growth in smartphones and sales will level off, in other than the developing markets anyway. Its questionable what direction smartphones will go in too, will the S4 have 6 or 8 cores or just 4?? :pac: It almost felt this time the extra core for just added for the sake of it, when two was/is perfectly adequate. Jyst compare the AT&T ONE X in the states to the ONE X we get here.. Just my two cents..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

When i got my release day nokia 7650 it would have been more than the SIII is now

It won't until consumers do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

And consumers most likely won't.

I know that I'm not going to refuse to buy a new phone in the hope that next year's one will be cheaper. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

I don't understand why people reckon the bigger battery = longer off charge time on the S3. When you factor a quad core processor, bigger screen and other bits n pieces, surly this just evens out the bigger battery in the long run??

So will probably just get as long as you did on the s2 when you consider all the increased power the S3 will consume.

Anyone else see what I'm trying to get at?

Sure I'll be buying the S3 anyways, but not because the battery is bigger than my current s2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I don't understand why people reckon the bigger battery = longer off charge time on the S3. When you factor a quad core processor, bigger screen and other bits n pieces, surly this just evens out the bigger battery in the long run??

So will probably just get as long as you did on the s2 when you consider all the increased power the S3 will consume.

Anyone else see what I'm trying to get at?

Sure I'll be buying the S3 anyways, but not because the battery is bigger than my current s2.

Well a lot of the point of the quad core processor is that it should consume less battery, by doing the vast majority of its work at lower (more efficient) processor speeds. But obviously the bigger screen yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    And consumers most likely won't.

I know that I'm not going to refuse to buy a new phone in the hope that next year's one will be cheaper. . .

Not me. Was looking at HTC One, X,S,V and galaxy SII today (FYI -s till 480 in CPW - shameful).
    My decision ? I'm sticking with my Desire until it stops working.

Not sure if this is news or not but : Rumour has it that the SGS3 is being made available to all networks simultaneously. So if a network doesn't stock the phone on day one, it's not uncle Sammy's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Not sure if this is news or not but : Rumour has it that the SGS3 is being made available to all networks simultaneously. So if a network doesn't stock the phone on day one, it's not uncle Sammy's fault.

Does anyone know of any networks listing a PAYG price yet?

god's toy wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any networks listing a PAYG price yet?

Haven't heard any word on pricing but I'd be pretty certain that it would be between €500 to €600. I think it would be on par with the SGS2 as they didn't really do much on the hardware front this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

Im not due an upgrade until december but I can't wait that long so I will end up getting in payg also or sim free online just awaiting prices

Download: 181-Page Samsung Galaxy S III GT-I9300 User Manual
    If you've been dying to find out just how many pages Samsung needed to stuff all those endless Galaxy S III features into the user manual, wonder no more. We have the full 181-page document for the international version (GT-i9300) embedded for you right below.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

according to the manual you can record from the radio straight to the sd card :)

I dont think any other phone, android or ios has ever done that!

i am so much looking forward to this phone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

thomasj wrote: »
    according to the manual you can record from the radio straight to the sd card :)

I dont think any other phone, android or ios has ever done that!

i am so much looking forward to this phone! :)

I have a Galaxy note here and it can record the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Looks like it has an LED indicator too ;) talks about it in the Manual.
    You don't know how much I missed it!

(Yep I use the NoLED app but just wanted a dedicated one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Thor wrote: »
    I have a Galaxy note here and it can record the radio.

Wow! didn't know that. Based on reading through the web there seemed to be a general concensus that there was no android devices capable of recording radio. Good to hear! I thought that samsung had removed that facility but great to have it back.

Advertisement