Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France V Ireland – Stade de France, Paris. Sunday 4th March 15:00 RTE2 & BBC2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

JustinDee wrote: »
    Flippin' hell. Doomsayers Utd.

The team are absolutely gunning for this game. Don't be surprised if they do cap off a top performance with a win.

And we were told that they were gunning for the Wales game only to be told afterwards they lacked intensity.

As I've said before Justin I've plenty of faith in the players. I know they are a talented and committed bunch. The massive lack of faith here is not because of them. And it's not been picked up off the ground either. In fact dare I say the main reason for this level of frustration is purely down to peoples belief in the players. It wouldn't be anywhere near as annoying if we just weren't able to compete because we hadn't the talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Giving a team talk and being captain are not necessarily related.

Exactly.

I'm not a big fan of OHs being the captain anyway. They have enough to be doing as it is.

There are better candidates than him anyway imo, and either way talk of changes to the captaincy beyond bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

Deary me. Deary deary me.
    How long can this donkey be left in charge?
    Great players but 'Deccie' please go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Apart from the obvious changes of Ryan and Reddan that's pretty much the team you would expect fielded. Can't help but feel we won't win this with Murray starting but hopefully someone has had a word in his ear and he will be whipping balls out left and right lightning quick. Looking forward to the match and hoping for a big game from the lads. We know its in them, they just need to unleash it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Definitely shouldnt be talk of changing Captaincy. Just cause Sexton gave a team talk last year for HEC doesnt mean he is good enough as captain for his country. Big difference there. I think POC is the man for the job in BOD's absence and Heaslip would be my 2nd choice if POC gets injured (touches wood quickly).

I am dissappointed with the lack of change by Kidney, Reddan should be starting. Elsewhere D.Ryan maybe should have been included.

I thought our back 5 were solid last week with Darce having his best game in ages. Good to see no messing was done there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

chris85 wrote: »
    Definitely shouldnt be talk of changing Captaincy. Just cause Sexton gave a team talk last year for HEC doesnt mean he is good enough as captain for his country. Big difference there. I think POC is the man for the job in BOD's absence and Heaslip would be my 2nd choice if POC gets injured (touches wood quickly).

I am dissappointed with the lack of change by Kidney, Reddan should be starting. Elsewhere D.Ryan maybe should have been included.

I thought our back 5 were solid last week with Darce having his best game in ages. Good to see no messing was done there.

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

No Eoin Reddan! Kidney needs to get his head out of his arse.

I can see us been beaten by 20+. Hope I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Tox56 wrote: »
    This is the reason DK has to go, he has this philosiphy with too many players.

I understand the reasoning behind "upping the tempo", but more often than not France are out of sight by half-time anyway.

Now it's time for Logic class with Uncle Deccie!

Why don't we play the Willow Park Under 11s for the first half and then bring on the Ireland team for the second half? The tempo will have increased so much that France won't be able to live with it.

The massive lead France will have accrued from playing against the poorly-selected 1st half players will be reset to zero, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The team are absolutely gunning for this game. Don't be surprised if they do cap off a top performance with a win.

I'd say they are. They're probably foaming at the mouth right now, as we speak!! Infact, if they bring that kind of intensity with them into the match, they'll destroy them! I can easily see them putting 20+ on them...

.... Wait. You were talking about France, right?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Tox56 wrote: »
    eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Fair call on that. He should be included.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'd say we have about a 10% chance of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

danthefan wrote: »
    I'd say we have about a 10% chance of winning.

qm.gif

Haha, obviously you meant 1% right? Typo, right? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Yep I agree.I can't put my finger on why!!
    Ironically there will be very few supporters there if we win!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Paddypower have France 9 point favourites. I hate betting against Ireland, but I reckon France will cover that spread....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭JRant

.ak wrote: »

I'd say they are. They're probably foaming at the mouth right now, as we speak!! Infact, if they bring that kind of intensity with them into the match, they'll destroy them! I can easily see them putting 20+ on them...

.... Wait. You were talking about France, right?? :confused:

The French wont need any of that non-sense though. They'll just be cool, calm, calculated and rip us to shreds without much fuss. We are going to play right into their hands, the pack will eat our runners and they'll have multiple overlaps out wide during the game.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This Irish team is not going to be ripped to shreds ffs

youd swear this team was radically different from the one people wanted!!!

We'll just be poor in possession in the first half.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

France have played two games where they just did enough. When you add in how bad they were for most of the RWC, and Saint Andre's reputation I'm not so sure they're going to be as good as they've been made out.

I'm still not optimistic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I cannot believe Reddan is not starting against France.Murray's decision making in games has been poor so
    far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

molloyjh wrote: »
    The only issue here being that if we lose to France and then lose to Scotland (at home) we'll be going into the England game with 1 win from 4 and absolutely no guarantees that we'll win over in London.

If (when) we lose to France Kidney will need a win against Scotland. Otherwise his neck will be on the chopping block (you'd hope). He'll be even less inclined to take risks in that game than he is now. The only changes I can see is Ryan for DOC and Reddan for Murray. Possibly ROG for Sexton and Ferg in for one of Trimble/Bowe/Darce but not likely.

It is an issue...but I don't think that POM being in the team will weaken the team so much. I expect us to scrape a win against Scotland and England tbh.
    Darsher wrote: »
    I don't see why Declan Kidney or "Mr Conservative" as he is known up here in the North doesn't change around the captains role , i mean how many times does Sexton need to produce a man of the match performance before he gets to put on the captains armband?

Captain is not a thing that is generally rotated. Sexton isn't even captain for Leinster and is behind Heaslip for that role, so surely he'd be ahead of him?? POC is an inspirational player and great leader, I really don't think we're going to improve on him tbh.
    chancer12 wrote: »
    He'll never get the Captain's armband from POC - MUNSTER! For what it's worth, I'd love to have seen Best with it. Think he might bring more to the role than O'Connell, but its a case of 'dream on'.

Again I disagree. I'm sure Best would be a fine captain but O'Connell was the obvious candidate and deservedly so. How many times has he dragged Munster to victory, he leads by example, he's always involved, he's a fine pack leader, plus he knows to work the referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The only hope we have is that the selected team keep the game close and low scoring before Kidney makes his changes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

The only hope we have is that the selected team keep the game close and low scoring before Kidney makes his changes.

If the game is close he won't make the subs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Well if we defend the same as the last 2 games they'll easily put 30 points on us. The question is can we score enough with a malfunctioning SH on for 55-60 mins to have any sort of chance?
    The personell may not be to different but as a team we're miles away from where we should be.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

CatFromHue wrote: »
    France have played two games where they just did enough. When you add in how bad they were for most of the RWC, and Saint Andre's reputation I'm not so sure they're going to be as good as they've been made out.

I'm still not optimistic though.

So basically the French will be crap but we will still lose?..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Poor in possession = handing possession over to the French time and time again = more opportunities for them to run at us building phases = increases the chance of them breaking our defensive line and scoring.

Class dismissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Don't think kidney bothers picking a team any more....he just nips into the office 5 mins before the team announcement and presses print on the photocopier...

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

Quint2010 wrote: »
    So basically the French will be crap but we will still lose?..:)
    It worked for them last year, and that was in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

This really is getting ridiculous IMO the best team we have available is.

1.Healey
    2. Best
    3. Ross
    4. Ryan
    5. POC
    6. Ferris
    7. O'Brien (Evidence now suggests that he's adapting his game well in this area)
    8. Heaslip
    9. Reddan
    10. Sexton
    11. Trimble
    12. McFadden
    13. O'Malley (He's the only true 13 not currently injured and I think in terms of building a squad should be getting his shot. That said Cave is the best future prospect for me atm unfortunately he's injured).
    14. Bowe
    15. Kearney

16 Cronin
    17 Court
    18 Touhy
    19 Henry
    20 Marshall
    21 ROG
    22 Earls

So why the hell can't Kidney pick something like this!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,944 ✭✭✭fitz

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    This really is getting ridiculous IMO the best team we have available is.

1.Healey
    2. Best
    3. Ross
    4. Ryan
    5. POC
    6. Ferris
    7. O'Brien (Evidence now suggests that he's adapting his game well in this area)
    8. Heaslip
    9. Reddan
    10. Sexton
    11. Trimble
    12. McFadden
    13. O'Malley (He's the only true 13 not currently injured and I think in terms of building a squad should be getting his shot. That said Cave is the best future prospect for me atm unfortunately he's injured).
    14. Bowe
    15. Kearney

16 Cronin
    17 Court
    18 Touhy
    19 Henry
    20 Marshall
    21 ROG
    22 Earls

So why the hell can't Kidney pick something like this!!!

Great team selection.
    However, I genuinely believe at this stage that Kidney's selections don't really matter. Whoever he picks, they're still going to be sent out to play his shambolic gameplan, which is only successful in making talented players look ordinary.

Since realising this, the team announcements don't bother me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

He did pick something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I'm surprised theres not more debate about Earls. I think Keith might have quietened a few critics. ;)

I'd like to see Ireland have a go off France. Cut out the stupid mistakes and concentrate on themselves playing well. The French are not as good as the Irish media make them out to be. They don't have an abundance of players for every position. They're short of 10's for example.

The players they have are good but they have weaknesses too. People say its the French mentality but I don't go along with that. If they're not scoring length of the field tries in every game some people will say they're being lazy. Another myth. They work hard especially since they know they'll be dropped if they do not.

The new coach could turn out to be not much better than the last coach. They have an advantage in the scrums. If Ewan Murray was playing against France they wouldn't have beating Scotland if he could have held his own in the scrums.

Advertisement