Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It is announced that Ireland WILL hold referendum on EU fiscal compact treaty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

I'd love to understand what I'm voting for. Not what the yes brigade and the no brigade want me to understand. Their pamphlets websites and news releases are always biased - of course - and both sides scaremonger!!!
    Even if you research online you have trouble sifting through gobbledygook.
    When in doubt as to what im voting for I vote no. I won't be scared into a yes (like the Lisbon business)

It's like neither actually want you to understand exactly what's at stake and what you're voting for because if you do you might well not vote the way they want you to. Which just won't do!

I really hope that we as a country have wised up to this ****e. If they try to pull another Lisbon and nice stunt - get a no vote so do it again they'll be a laughing stock. Or just somebody's b'tch maybe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

amacachi wrote: »
    Are you a politician now?
    1. a person who is active in party politics.
    2. a seeker or holder of public office, who is more concerned about winning favor or retaining power than about maintaining principles.
    3. a person who holds a political office.
    4. a person skilled in political government or administration; statesman or stateswoman.
    5. an expert in politics or political government.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/politician+

I would have to say "No" (to your above question) if just going on the technical terms of the title. :)

I'm a humble citizen being a nuisance to elected officials so that they don't get too out of order! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Apparently this will be the 1st referendum that if we vote against it, it wont matter, only it will be a 2 fingers to Europe and we want out. There will not be any re-vote as it wont matter.
    12 out of 17 states have to say yes before it can be ratified. Even if we say No it will still go through... so don't be disillusioned if we do not get a write off on any of our debt for a Yes vote, there are 16 other countries in the pot.

Merkosy will approach this in the same way as they approached Greece.. You are either in Europe or you are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

humanji wrote: »

This thread backs up my belief that voting should be a privilage and not a right. Is it any wonder that the country is f*cked when so many have decided to vote yes or no to a question they don't even know?

Isn't that always the way though? You can't blame people for voting in protest. If the public were given more of a say in the menial day to day running of things then they'd have no reason to vote spitefully on important stuff like this.

Voting is a privilege but it's counter productive when people only get to have a say on major referenda like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

lucylu wrote: »
    Apparently this will be the 1st referendum that if we vote against it, it wont matter, only it will be a 2 fingers to Europe and we want out. There will not be any re-vote as it wont matter.
    12 out of 17 states have to say yes before it can be ratified. Even if we say No it will still go through... so don't be disillusioned if we do not get a write off on any of our debt for a Yes vote, there are 16 other countries in the pot.

Merkosy will approach this in the same way as they approached Greece.. You are either in Europe or you are not.

It does matter.
    If we vote against it it will still go ahead, but we won't be part of it.
    If we're not part of it then we can't get future funding from the ESM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

lucylu wrote: »

I feel the same, however I think there may be few twists and turns before this has run it's course.

Nate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

Well you're forgetting that the particular medicine you're talking about makes some limbs fall off.

You need to elaborate....

I think it's in the benefit of the economy as a whole if a limb or two in the form of malinvestment falls off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Sonic the Large Cock

so voting Yes means a dictatorship lead by Hitler ancestors and a NO means more Free Cheese?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

dvpower wrote: »
    It does matter.
    If we vote against it it will still go ahead, but we won't be part of it.
    If we're not part of it then we can't get future funding from the ESM

Sounds like blackmail to me...

The shinners want you to vote yes

They do?

Journal.ie says they are supporting a "NO" vote.

http://www.thejournal.ie/opposition-parties-welcome-announcement-of-referendum-368713-Feb2012/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Isn't that always the way though? You can't blame people for voting in protest. If the public were given more of a say in the menial day to day running of things then they'd have no reason to vote spitefully on important stuff like this.

Voting is a privilege but it's counter productive when people only get to have a say on major referenda like this.
    You can blame them for voting in protest. It's childish.
    You think the public should be given a say in menial spending? How would that work exactly? School caretaker has to get clearance to open a new bottle of bleach?
    _Gawd_ wrote: »
    You need to elaborate....

I think it's in the benefit of the economy as a whole if a limb or two in the form of malinvestment falls off.
    In this analogy the limbs represent people. An overnight balancing would lead to a massive reduction in tax intake within a month requiring another massive slashing of payments everywhere. The healthcare system would rely on volunteers and I imagine the million or so unemployed would struggle for food, heat and shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OSI wrote: »
    the No campaign
    This part of the "have you worked in the last 20 years you custy bas***d" question?

=-=

Is Paddy Power taking bets on how many referendums it'll take to get a "yes" vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Merkel, here's my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

There was an agreement already in place but the Germans broke that agreement when things were going apesh##. The rest of Europe followed and now we find ourselves in a bigger pile of apesh##. In a few years time when the pile of apes### becomes a mountain we will be stuck with it.
    How much are we being asked to pay to support a yes vote and how much do we have to donate each year to support the same yes vote?
    I am a lot older than most of you and I have been left with very little to survive on because of the European Union. Where were the EEC partners/allies when we needed them most? Now that they have bought/control us they want to bleed us.
    A BIG NO from me and my family.

I'd be interested to know how the EU has messed you up. On a whole they have been very good to us. I don't like the direction its taking at the moment but I'm not going to let the current climate taint what has been a set of treaties and laws that have taken the country out of an economic hole, brought us clean rivers and beaches and brought us civil liberties that we could not even dream about twenty five years ago. i'll be waiting to see the treaty and will vote on its merits

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

a set of treaties and laws that have taken the country out of an economic hole
    It was our low tax regime that did that, which the EU was not in favour of.

Care of Nate in previous post...
    ...I'll be waiting to see the treaty and will vote on its merits

In this analogy the limbs represent people. An overnight balancing would lead to a massive reduction in tax intake within a month requiring another massive slashing of payments everywhere. The healthcare system would rely on volunteers and I imagine the million or so unemployed would struggle for food, heat and shelter.

Thank you for answering the question GAWD has deliberately avoided.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Let the scare tactics begin!!

History says otherwise. After WW2, the U.S brought home millions of unemployed people and the economy boomed. The regulations are killing this economy because people are not allowed to earn a living for themselves. I would be against taxation as it's destructive to capitalism but that's for another thread. It would be a good thing if the HSE collapsed - a market based system will always win out on consumer satisfaction and inexpensive pricing when coupled with relaxed regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Can we get a poll up in here?!

• Advertisement

Thank you for answering the question GAWD has deliberately avoided.

Nate

What question? You've certainly asked none.

You didn't answer my question. What would be the effect on the Irish economy of an instant reduction in government spending by 30%

Nate
    What question? You've certainly asked none.

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    It was our low tax regime that did that, which the EU was not in favour of.

Structural funds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Sonic the Large Cock

what a crap Poll. I was hoping for a third option like, **** off Europe we'll get back to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

History says otherwise. After WW2, the U.S brought home millions of unemployed people and the economy boomed. The regulations are killing this economy because people are not allowed to earn a living for themselves. I would be against taxation as it's destructive to capitalism but that's for another thread. It would be a good thing if the HSE collapsed - a market based system will always win out on consumer satisfaction and inexpensive pricing when coupled with relaxed regulation.

Careful now, War being good is a Keynes thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Structural funds
    What about them. The growth in the Irish economy was down to our tax regime, this is accepted fact among people who aren't pushing an agenda. Thats explicitly why all those big multinationals are here, without whom we'd really be up the creek without a paddle.

Let the scare tactics begin!!

No argument but being totally honest, there will be some genuine future possibilities in there too.
    It would be remiss of people at least not to consider them also before voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

patwicklow wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/taoiseach-announces-referendum-on-fiscal-compact-541541.html

The Taoiseach Enda Kenny and Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore have announced that the country is to have a referendum on the European Fiscal Compact Treaty.

I started this tread how come its mixed on this tread????

• Advertisement

patwicklow wrote: »
    I started this tread how come its mixed on this tread????

I'm not a mod but generally similar threads are often merged into one longer one.

Advertisement