Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It is announced that Ireland WILL hold referendum on EU fiscal compact treaty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭twinytwo

skelliser wrote: »
    time to start buying dollars!!

forget dollars...its all about yuan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

Nate

I've answered this question on more than one occasion over several posts. What happened to America when WW2 ended and they cut massive numbers from the spending hawks? Did the economy fall flat on it's face? No, precisly the opposite happened. Spending is Keynesian drivel economics, the same economics that got us into this - why on Earth would we prolong it?

amacachi wrote: »
    Careful now, War being good is a Keynes thing.

Not once have I stated that war was good for the economy. You would know this as I have been totally anti-John Maynard from the very start. ;)
    A reason The US budget is chaotic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

LOL

Gotta love RTE Six-One news commentators sometimes!

"Will Sinn Féin’s Aengus Ó Snodaigh be tendering a printing contract for the "NO" campain?"

LOL Very good! :D

MEOWWWWWW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

_Gawd_ wrote: »
    Not once have I stated that war was good for the economy. You would know this as I have been totally anti-John Maynard from the very start. ;)
    A reason The US budget is chaotic.
    The US had massive industry ready. It was the dominant economy. We have no such advantages.
    The UK had plenty of similar advantages after WWII as well but didn't go like the US. They won the war but their economy didn't grow like the Germans managed to with their reconstruction.

We have no competitive advantage. We'd have a worthless currency and be relying on agriculture FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Sounds like blackmail to me...
    The choices we make have consequences. You want our creditors to continue to lend us money if we aren't willing to sign up to the terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    We tried that and ended up carrying the can for Anglo. Ireland has been a superb member of the EU.

Fuck em.

So we don't have to blame Bertie or FF or FG or labour or the developers or the bankers. We can blame you for not giving a f*ck about the rest of the country and voting specifically to screw over everyone else? As I said, voting should be a privilege.
    Isn't that always the way though? You can't blame people for voting in protest. If the public were given more of a say in the menial day to day running of things then they'd have no reason to vote spitefully on important stuff like this.
    But the whole point of a representative republic is that we don't have to decide on the day to day running of things.
    Voting is a privilege but it's counter productive when people only get to have a say on major referenda like this.
    But voting isn't a privilege. It's not earned, it's given to you merely for reaching a certain age. That's why it's abused. If people had to actually make an effort to earn a vote, then they'd be more likely to try and use it for a good reason other than pure spite.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I will be voting no :)

amacachi wrote: »
    We have no competitive advantage. We'd have a worthless currency and be relying on agriculture FFS.

Aha! Now you're catching on - but we have a way to combat this. Competing currencies.

Why is it that individual countries compete internationally? Why not have currencies competing within countries also? The Euro will fall and you're right to point out that the Punt Nua will need some competition within Ireland. For this, Hayek proposed for example, for us to allow the dollar, yen, sterling, gold and silver and jelly babies to be used in transactions. Why? Because a central bank will not increase the credit supply causing inflation when other currencies are on the market. This does two things: it gives the people protection as they are not destined to be under the umbrella of a central bank - they may change their property into whatever currency is doing best and secondly, it raises the value of currencies as they're forced to compete.

Lastly, we do have a competitive advantage if we roll back taxes coupled with a relaxed regulatory economy, companies and people will flock here in their hundreds of thousands bringing with them saved capital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

dvpower wrote: »
    The choices we make have consequences. You want our creditors to continue to lend us money if we aren't willing to sign up to the terms?

So far we've drawn down about €16 billion of the €85 billion in the IMF/ECB deal.

How much have we paid out to bondholders? How much in interest? Our 'creditors' are only giving us money to pay off the bondholders.
    Look at what's happening next month, we draw down €3.29 billion today and pay out €3.2 billion next month in promissory notes.

You're right, the choices we make have consequences, I don't think that we're making the right choices now.....

We have to fight our corner, no more sackcloth and ashes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

humanji wrote: »
    So we don't have to blame Bertie or FF or FG or labour or the developers or the bankers. We can blame you for not giving a f*ck about the rest of the country and voting specifically to screw over everyone else?
    You can blame whoever you feel you have to, it bothers me not in the slightest. Its certainly easier than understanding the position Ireland has been placed in by its EU "partners".
    As I said, voting should be a privilege.
    Which is why you'll never have any political power.

If people had to actually make an effort to earn a vote, then they'd be more likely to try and use it for a good reason other than pure spite.
    With the right decision in this case being the way you want them to vote.

Tell us o wise philospher prince, what colour clothes shall we wear today.

/amused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    What about them. The growth in the Irish economy was down to our tax regime, this is accepted fact among people who aren't pushing an agenda. Thats explicitly why all those big multinationals are here, without whom we'd really be up the creek without a paddle.

Look the structural funds started to come in first and then the low taxation came in with the successive PD government involments. The sucess of the Irish Economy is not exclusive to either one of these issues and indeed not exclussive to both these issues, unfortuntitly life is not that simple. Just to make it clear I have no agenda apart from wanting to get all the facts and the ref. to be based on these rather than - i dont like the gov, or we will lose jobs sort of ****e. I do not know how I will be voting.

We have to fight our corner, no more sackcloth and ashes.
    I don't understand. If we could no longer borrow money to fund services, how could we avoid sackcloth and ashes?

Wouldn't we have much more sackcloth and ashes at least for a few years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭quietriot

If you've already decided how you're voting on a document you haven't seen nor know the implications of then you're a spastic, bottom-feeding cretin and nothing more.

Look the structural funds started to come in first and then the low taxation came in with the successive PD government involments.
    The low taxation was there for a long time beforehand, it was called the manufacturing tax. It was reduced further which led directly to our actual real boom in the 90s which still provides good jobs to this day. Saying structural funds were responsible is complete rubbish.

quietriot wrote: »
    If you've already decided how you're voting on a document you haven't seen nor know the implications of then you're a spastic, bottom-feeding cretin and nothing more.
    The document is public.

I don't understand. If we could no longer borrow money to fund services, how could we avoid sackcloth and ashes?

You say how would we "fund services" as if it's supposed to be this way, by default and there are no other options. It's the typical big government institution you've been indoctrinated into all your life. A bit like Atheism really...once a non-believer comes to the conclusion that there is no God, their mind and self is set free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

so voting Yes means a dictatorship lead by Hitler ancestors and a NO means more Free Cheese?
    /Thread.

The document is public.
    That makes little difference to the statement. I would imagine that the overwhelming majority of the drooling retards on here urging a "no" vote already haven't even glimpsed at the page header, let alone went through it.

In fact, every reason I've seen for a "no" so far has had nothing to do with it.

• Advertisement

Who would you loan money to?

Someone who's up to his neck in debt and will never be able to pay it back OR someone who took the grown up attitude, restructured his debts thus enabling himself to grow financially and be well able to pay you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

The document has been out for months.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Fiscal_Union

I'm voting no because I'm against Fiscal integration. Government should be kept as close to the person as possible. I'm even more against those who are talking about possible concessions we could get in return for a Yes vote. Nice to see the Irish people value our sovereignty so high.

_Gawd_ wrote: »
    You say how would we "fund services" as if it's supposed to be this way, by default and there are no other options. It's the typical big government institution you've been indoctrinated into all your life.
    Who would you loan money to?

Someone who's up to his neck in debt and will never be able to pay it back OR someone who took the grown up attitude, restructured his debts thus enabling himself to grow financially and be well able to pay you back.

Our funding is guaranteed under the bailout programme. Our funding is in doubt if we reject the fiscal compact.

ESM funding is specifically contingent on accepting the fiscal compact.

Its possible that other options would be open to us if we reject the compact, but we would be taking a leap into the unknown - something that is likely to be damaging.

Anita Blow wrote: »

I'm voting no because I'm against Fiscal integration. Government should be kept as close to the person as possible. I'm even more against those who are talking about possible concessions we could get in return for a Yes vote. Nice to see the Irish people value our sovereignty so high.
    The document could be out a year, it's irrelevant, I am satisfied that nearly all those publicly urging a no vote already haven't read it.

Our sovereignty started being eroded in January 1973.

Our funding is guaranteed under the bailout programme. Our funding is in doubt if we reject the fiscal compact.

ESM funding is specifically contingent on accepting the fiscal compact.

Its possible that other options would be open to us if we reject the compact, but we would be taking a leap into the unknown - something that is likely to be damaging.

If Greece continues to get funding there's zero chance of them pulling funding from us. That won't happen.

But if you believe all the threat's coming from merkozy, I can see how you would think that way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Shatter refuses to rule out second Fiscal Treaty referendum if voters say ‘no’
    http://www.thejournal.ie/shatter-refuses-to-rule-out-second-fiscal-treaty-referendum-if-voters-say-no-368834-Feb2012/

The document could be out a year, it's irrelevant, I am satisfied that nearly all those publicly urging a no vote already haven't read it.
    I'm sure the exact same could be said about others urging a yes vote.

Don't get me wrong, I'm equally against those voting no for completely irrelevant reasons, but don't tar everyone with the same brush. I'm voting no based on my concerns for our fiscal independence which is a perfectly valid concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Why should we value our sovereignty? The only thing we've shown is that we are completely incapable of using it properly.

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »

I don't see why we should be asked again. This is an opt-in treaty so us voting no doesn't mean anything to other countries. They can continue ahead with it as normal.

Advertisement